(Close Window)
Topic: Check out this new video by JessesMagic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmz3dums3wc

Amazing!
After the misleading videos of pen thru arm, Cigapen and Intact from Jesse, I will stay away till someone offers to take the plunge and review it.
Looks good in the demo sure you have to switch to hand it out no problem put it away when they ask to see it bring out the permanet bent pen , I like it !!
Tops
Wouldn't that be similar to the bending nail effect but using a pen? Can't we just get a proper demo without the cuts and fanciful MTV stuff?

Wouldn't it be more impossible to bend metal then plastic?
I agree but a pen makes sense to have with you a nail hmmmm.... maybe for a show the nail . I would rather bend a pen power of the mind lol!
Wait for the reviews so you don't waste any money it does look good !
Never bought anything from this company, was slightly tempted by INTACT... was it no good as someone suggested here?
Coinman21: how has his videos for his past effects been misleading in anyway?

Tophatter: Actually no, you don't have to switch it. The effect will read as follows: Bring out a normal looking bic pen. Concentrate on it, and without any movement, the pen begins to melt. The pen bends by itself 90 degrees... and the pen can be IMMEDIATELY handed out for examination. No switches, no tricky moves, SO CLEAN. And they can see that the pen is REALLY MELTED! No setup, no reset. Take the pen back, bend it back, and put it in your pocket. Perfect for walk around!

I think you guys need to do some further reviews on Jessiah's Magic he puts out. His effects have gotten nothing but great reviews and people absolutely love his work including myself.
Some never learn their lesson.
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 04:34, tdowell wrote:
Some never learn their lesson.
[/quote]

Want to elaborate?
I would have to disagree with his effects getting good reviews. I know that if you search the Café for Pen Thru Arm the reviews are 99% bad and there are countless comments about the misleading demo videos.
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 05:01, jerrydb4 wrote:
I would have to disagree with his effects getting good reviews. I know that if you search the Café for Pen Thru Arm the reviews are 99% bad and there are countless comments about the misleading demo videos.
[/quote]

Really? I think someone needs to do a little more research:

Here are comments made on a 12 page thread concerning Pen Thru Arm:

"Dude that looks friggen' awesome! I want one!!!
Congrat's on the new release Jesse, you always seem to make the coolest stuff."

"I love the idea man...!!! I really love the effect, good on ya!"

"Okay, heres the paradox: Jessiah is a genious...and though it MAY be based on an old principle, (find me a effect that isn't) he has improved the old and now gives us the new... again, love the idea, and it was just as I thought, but even more slick... ts something that you can just pick it up and do...sure to freak 'em out."

"Does the effect in person LOOK just like the video demo?

If so, why isn't this GREAT?
---------------------------------

Yes it does look just like the one the demo. Great effects I reserve for mentalism effects which Im partial to cause they are what puts butter on my bread."

"I have to admit that when I saw the video I thought "oh that's cute". Then Jesse did it for me in person last Saturday at Hank Lee's. Wow!!! The video does not do justice to the effect. It really looks great!!!

Larry"

"I own a PTA (thanks Hank!). I am very pleased with this item!

Yes, the pen's design makes use of two "Old School" principles (nothing wrong with that). I give Jesse praise due to the fact that he found an excellent way to combine these two ideas to create a super strong effect using a common everyday item.

The handling is easy and the idea of letting the spectator use the pen before you perform PTA is great. I have already tried this on several people. After letting them use the pen I performed the penetration. One person said, "I think I might know how you did that"(They didn't). I simply held out the pen and said, "Feel the tip." After they saw their theory was incorrect, with a grin I said, "Now, may I try it on you?" They quickly denied the offer! BTW- I suggest you not perform PTA on a spectator's arm unless they have been coached ahead of time.

My reason for explaining this in detail is to point out just how real PTA looks! I can’t imagine how a person could make this effect look any better without actually stabbing a pen in your arm!

With Halloween around the corner...this one will be in the pocket for all walk-around gigs. I love Greg Wilson's Recap. With a simple switch PTA will be used as a finale to that routine.

One reason why Jesse may be absent from the Café is due to some of the sour remarks from those who don’t own a PTA. But the real reason is probably due to the fact he is busy making a ton of these!

Keep up the great work Jesse! You should be proud!

Kevin"

"I'm having a blast working with this. Planning on creating a new one this weekend."

"Okay, me and Jesse traded trick for trick and I finally got the PTA, direct from the creator, too kool, and I gotta say , IT'S FRIGGEN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I took the greyhound to and from Boston, while waiting for my other bus, I would go outside and have a smoke. There were plenty of beggars for such a small bus terminal, everytime one of them would ask me for money or a smoke, I would whip out Cigapen and then do PTA...

I ain't never seen these types of peoples back off so quick! Hahahahahahahahar! I got to keep my money and my cigs, I would then politly tell them that if they are going to ask for free stuff that they should of course give something positive back in return...I don't think some of them liked the little lecture I gave 'em, or the fact I started busking in front of them and made nine dollars for about ten or fifteen mintues of magic.

PTA will always be in my pocket! Thanks for a great trick Jesse!

johnny"

As you can see, this is just a few of the positive comments that can be found regarding PTA if someone would be willing to do a simple search unlike the comment made above.

Anyway, let's try to keep this on his new effect coming out on the demo video I posted. Thanks....
WHAT !! Jesse Again !!

I never buy anything from him. Don't ask me me why just do a search on this forum and see what people said about his products.
There are 12 pages in that post, check out some of the later ones. Anyway, buy the trick if you like it, everyone has their own style and opinions.
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 06:13, magicxman wrote:
WHAT !! Jesse Again !!

I never buy anything from him. Don't ask me me why just do a search on this forum and see what people said about his products.
[/quote]

I have and he's a well respected Magician, Inventor and friend on here.
Any reviews by OTHER respected magicians, here or elsewhere?
The demos he posted for the other products were misleading. I don't wish to elaborate much as it could stretch to an entire essay. Do a search and you can find what the rest have said. Jesse did made some changes to Intact to show the unedited version but it went through many rounds of criticism as well. There was no change to Pen thru Arm and Cigapen.
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 12:13, CoinMan21 wrote:
The demos he posted for the other products were misleading. I don't wish to elaborate much as it could stretch to an entire essay. Do a search and you can find what the rest have said. Jesse did made some changes to Intact to show the unedited version but it went through many rounds of criticism as well. There was no change to Pen thru Arm and Cigapen.
[/quote]

Coinman21: I have done a search, that was a big reason in me looking at his effects and then buying some. He's a well respected Magician here. If his effects don't fit your style, that is fine. But don't come here and bash a guy with information you are incorrect about. Just save it, simple as that.
His reputation as an inventor is tainted becaus ethe demo videos he posted were misleading.

Chris
Skitch, I am not bashing with incorrect information. The videos were misleading. If you did look through the threads, you will know why. I have no idea where you did your search. I know Jesse's your friend but I am just speaking the truth. You are pretty right about the saving part. It's really simple. I don't buy Jesse's magic. Simple as that.
Hey everyone! Thanks for all of your comments. Id like to quickly clear somethings up, and then leave the forum open to questions and reviews.

Write Angle will be out before Thanksgiving... I just need a couple of weeks to build, and package the first run. If anyone wants to see this live, come to Hank Lee's store, I try to visit every Saturday. I'll demo all of my effects for you! The talk of misleading demos is old, and inaccurate. I stand by my products 100%, and as you can see, many other magicians do too. I would never intentionally mislead anyone into purchasing something, and I will ALWAYS offer returns and exchanges to anyone.

That said, this new demo shows the full performance. The bent pen that is shown to the camera is the SAME pen the whole time, and can be immediately handed out. NO SWITCHES for a permenantly bent pen. And the bic pen actually bends by itself. Its under your control, but it is self working in the movement. And you guys are going to flip out when you learn the different handlings. A local magician Jeff Kellog came up with THE best handling ever!!!! If you like self working, this is it!!! Write Angle is different than ANY OTHER bending effect... It will be up on my website soon: Jessesmagic.com

PM me if you have any tricky questions ;)
I will try and stop by Hanks this Saturday and the I can post what I think.
That would be great! Ill be there sometime after 1... And Ill bring in all of my other effects for you to check out too!
Sounds good! Just have to make sure I'm free and I will hop on the T.
Adam
It would be great to have a real review so quickly, thanks for your help Adam! PM me if you need to coordinate... later -Jesse
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 13:28, Jessiah wrote:
Hey everyone! Thanks for all of your comments. Id like to quickly clear somethings up, and then leave the forum open to questions and reviews.

Write Angle will be out before Thanksgiving... I just need a couple of weeks to build, and package the first run. If anyone wants to see this live, come to Hank Lee's store, I try to visit every Saturday. I'll demo all of my effects for you! The talk of misleading demos is old, and inaccurate. I stand by my products 100%, and as you can see, many other magicians do too. I would never intentionally mislead anyone into purchasing something, and I will ALWAYS offer returns and exchanges to anyone.

That said, this new demo shows the full performance. The bent pen that is shown to the camera is the SAME pen the whole time, and can be immediately handed out. NO SWITCHES for a permenantly bent pen. And the bic pen actually bends by itself. Its under your control, but it is self working in the movement. And you guys are going to flip out when you learn the different handlings. A local magician Jeff Kellog came up with THE best handling ever!!!! If you like self working, this is it!!! Write Angle is different than ANY OTHER bending effect... It will be up on my website soon: Jessesmagic.com

PM me if you have any tricky questions ;)
[/quote]

Nicely said, a lot of people have been giving out inaccurate information. I'm been here for over 4 years and know your work and the respect people have for you.
His track record is not that good. There are many that will not buy from him again and some will but most will choose not to that have bought past products of his.
Thanks Skitch, you know whats up!!! Write Angle has been quoted as my "best trick yet" by many magicians... So hopefully we can all keep an open mind to Jessesmagic products, cuz I got a lot of cool things coming out this year!!! The past is the past, and if anyone still has ANY issues???, please contact me so we can resolve. Im here to help. -Jesse
"The past is the past......." The only problem is that the past is the best indication we have of what to expect in the future.

Anyway, good luck with your new effect. You always seem willing to help people out. That's more than some folks in this business do.
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 15:11, thehawk wrote:
His track record is not that good. There are many that will not buy from him again and some will but most will choose not to that have bought past products of his.
[/quote]

There are many magicians that won't buy from certain people simply because their effects don't fit their style. But don't tell me what I know and don't know when I've been here much longer then you have and KNOW these people very well who know Jesse and his work. These are people that are using his work in their shows all the time and is with them where ever they go. Please, you are completely wrong.
Well hopefully I can check this out on saturday and I will post an unbiased review...I do own cigapen and magicap and was a little disappointed and stayed away from the last effects with the whole "misleading video" problem, but I figure let the past be the past and if I have the chance to check it out and help people make a decision then I shouldn't let the past get in the way. I am going in there with a clean slate and will update you all if I do indeed get a chance this saturday to check it out.
-Adam
Part of what I said was:

"Anyway, good luck with your new effect. You always seem willing to help people out. That's more than some folks in this business do."

Skitch replied:

"These are people that are using his work in their shows all the time and is with them where ever they go. Please, you are completely wrong."

COMPLETELY wrong? OK, so Jesse ISN'T willing to help people. Some friend you are :)
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Oct 25, 2006 04:32PM)
Hi Jesse,

Great looking effect, could you combine it with Magicap ?

I note that this is examinable, what happens if I give it out to a spectator and they try to bend the pen back to its original shape.
Jesse,

Can it perform surrounded ? any angle problem ? Honestly I really don't like your previous effects.

Hope this one don't disappoint us.
Good for you, Michele. I really admire the candor and honesty in your inquiry. I hope he takes the time to give you an answer that has the same characteristics.
Michele, you have the best post do far. And like John says, I hope Jesse answers with the same characteristics.

Chris
Michele: Write angle can be performed surrounded. No angle problems. It will not disappoint anyone... :)

Gilgamesh: Great question! I have a funny story for that one. A women once cracked the pen in half trying to bend it back. Its not fragile, but it is not made out of steel either... Ive been using the first one I ever made for months now... If that does happen, the instructions will explain how to replace that... She felt so bad for breaking the pen back, but at the same time, it TOTALLY drove home the effect!!!

I look forward to fooling you in the shop Adam!!! Maybe if your lucky, ill teach you how to do it ;)
Haha, well since I just turned 16 I have some money to spend...hopefully will pick up a few items...who knows maybe this will be one of them ;)
Two pages of posts and not a single review (except for Skitch who seems to attack anyone who doesn't worship Jesse).
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 19:26, emyers99 wrote:
Two pages of posts and not a single review (except for Skitch who seems to attack anyone who doesn't worship Jesse). [/quote]

The effect isn't out yet if you read. Second, I simply pointed out incorrect information people were given. Nothing wrong with that.......
The past demos were misleading. That is a well known fact.
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 00:41, CoinMan21 wrote:

Wouldn't it be more impossible to bend metal then plastic?
[/quote]

Why? Have you ever tried to bend a pen? Have you ever tried to bend a spoon? A spoon is a lot easier.
The pen is mightier than the spoon. haha
Jesse this new trick 'Write Angle'looks great, kan't wait to get it!

I was at a Halloweeny party tonight w/my kids and thanks to this thread I remembered to bring my Cigapen & PTA w/me...

oh man, I had so much fun freakin' out the kids, but mainly adults seemed to be truly disturbed by the PTA effect. ;)

Johnny
Hey Johnny, did you include the bloody gizzard in tonights performance? haha Your my favorite beta tester! Let me know if you'll be around and I'll hook you up with one of these silly things, or I can mail one over... :)
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 17:05, Skitch wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 15:11, thehawk wrote:
[/quote]

* . . . But don't tell me what I know and don't know when I've been here much longer then you have. . .

* . . . Please, you are completely wrong.
[/quote]

Humm! Surprising!!

'Thehawk' is a true gentleman who has refrained from making any comment on the above statement.

[quote]
On 2006-10-25 17:50, Michele wrote:
Jesse,

* . . . Honestly I really don't like your previous effects.

* Hope this one don't disappoint us.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2006-10-25 19:26, emyers99 wrote:
Two pages of posts and not a single review (except for Skitch who seems to attack anyone who doesn't worship Jesse). How soon till this thread gets moved to the "latest and greatest" section? tick tock.
[/quote]

You be the judge!

:xmas:
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Oct 26, 2006 11:03AM)
[quote]

Gilgamesh: Great question! I have a funny story for that one. A women once cracked the pen in half trying to bend it back. Its not fragile, but it is not made out of steel either... Ive been using the first one I ever made for months now... If that does happen, the instructions will explain how to replace that... She felt so bad for breaking the pen back, but at the same time, it TOTALLY drove home the effect!!!

[/quote]

Sounds great, to my mind the bending of a brittle plastic pen , that shouldn't bend !, is going to seem more impossible to a spectator than metal bending.

Good job Jesse .
Yeah, the plastic makes more sense to melt... and you do it at you fingertips and then hand it out. It looks like real magic, and of course this trick is a hundred times better in person. You can customize to make this work with most any pen... even a sharpie could work. The demo video shows only the full original handling... Write Angle will include the bic pen gaff that matches all my other bic pen tricks (check em out!)
With so much great magic out there, I don't understand why anyone would waste their time with something so completely average.

This looks like it works on the same principle as the bending nail, and both effects suffer from the same problem: you are covering the only area of the object that is supposedly bending. If you could really bend an object with your mind, why would you hold the object so that the only point of interest is hidden? You wouldn't.
I agree with you on that Magicsquared.
@Magicsquared
100 % agree! :)

Greetings
[quote]
On 2006-10-27 01:03, Magicsquared wrote:
If you could really bend an object with your mind, why would you hold the object so that the only point of interest is hidden? You wouldn't.
[/quote]

I think that depends on your pseudo-explanation ( assuming a person has taken the time to flesh out their character and determine how they accomplish their feats). If your pseudo-explanation is that you are transferring "psychic energy" to the pen and actually heating it up to cause the bend, then you can ONLY bend the pen where you are touching. I use a similiar explanation during metal bends and combine ET with it as a convincer. A bend is a bend is a band is a bend to a spectator. Only other magicians worry about where your fingers are during the bend.

And before anyone puts me in the Jessiah fan club, I've never purchased any of his effects before. I just get tired of the incessant piling on that takes place here by armchair magicians. I'm not insulting anyone who doesn't create their own effects, as I'm a member of that club myself. I just don't have a knack for creating new mechanics for effects. But knowing that about myself, I don't criticize those that not only have that talent, but choose to share it with others.

I often wonder how many "magicians" who come to the Café truly view their peers as a brotherhood or community? I learned a really neat thing in kindergarten that I've lived by to this day: If you don't have something nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all. There are plenty of effects that I've purchased in my lifetime that I ended up not liking, but I never thought to crucify the creator about it. I just don't use those effects and I move on with my life. Sometimes you just won't know if an effect suits your performance style and character until you actually purchase it, practice it and work it into your repetoire. It's the risk of this artform as anyone who's been in it for 6 months or more learns quickly.

OK, my rant is over. Let the bashing continue..............
[quote]
On 2006-10-27 10:42, the levitator wrote:

Only other magicians worry about where your fingers are during the bend.
[/quote]

Actually, only magician's DON'T worry about where your fingers are during the bend. It was a non-magician who first point out to me that in the bending nail you're covering up what is supposedly the most interesting part.

I agree with you that you can use logic to get away with it ("my psychic powers are heating up my fingers to bend the pen"). But if your logic is "heated up fingers" then wouldn't this version actually be a step backwards? It's much easier to heat up and bend a pen then it is a nail.

I didn't think I was "bashing" this effect, or "crucifying" its creator. I was just stating a legitimate issue I had with this effect, so you might want to save those words for when they're deserverd or else they'll lose any meaning they have around here (if they haven't already).
Levitator, thanks for your insight! Brotherhood in magic forums is a tricky thing! Good or bad, all comments are cool with me, this is a place to better myself as a magician (and sharpen my people skills:)

Magicsquared: Its an interesting point you bring up... not one to worry about though. The pen is brought out... Where you are holding it, and where you are focusing on it, it starts to melt. The pen bends and moves without ANY movement from you... Its looks exactly like heat or energy is causing this melt! This is the part that really messes with people. I usually let them get at least a glimps of the actual melting area. Its not as sensitive a thing as, say, the perfect bend... Theres nothing to see but the white plastic barrel of the pen. THEN, when you immediately hand out this bent pen, they can physically feel it is still warm, and that the plastic is really melted. Theres nothing like it. Trust me that the bic pen is one of the best things to be bending! It makes sense, and with all the unique properties of Write Angle, it makes it very unique. Wait till you get it :)
[quote]
On 2006-10-27 10:42, the levitator wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-10-27 01:03, Magicsquared wrote:
If you could really bend an object with your mind, why would you hold the object so that the only point of interest is hidden? You wouldn't.
[/quote]

I think that depends on your pseudo-explanation ( assuming a person has taken the time to flesh out their character and determine how they accomplish their feats). If your pseudo-explanation is that you are transferring "psychic energy" to the pen and actually heating it up to cause the bend, then you can ONLY bend the pen where you are touching. I use a similiar explanation during metal bends and combine ET with it as a convincer. A bend is a bend is a band is a bend to a spectator. Only other magicians worry about where your fingers are during the bend.

And before anyone puts me in the Jessiah fan club, I've never purchased any of his effects before. I just get tired of the incessant piling on that takes place here by armchair magicians. I'm not insulting anyone who doesn't create their own effects, as I'm a member of that club myself. I just don't have a knack for creating new mechanics for effects. But knowing that about myself, I don't criticize those that not only have that talent, but choose to share it with others.

I often wonder how many "magicians" who come to the Café truly view their peers as a brotherhood or community? I learned a really neat thing in kindergarten that I've lived by to this day: If you don't have something nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all. There are plenty of effects that I've purchased in my lifetime that I ended up not liking, but I never thought to crucify the creator about it. I just don't use those effects and I move on with my life. Sometimes you just won't know if an effect suits your performance style and character until you actually purchase it, practice it and work it into your repetoire. It's the risk of this artform as anyone who's been in it for 6 months or more learns quickly.

OK, my rant is over. Let the bashing continue..............

[/quote]

The rants were not about his products, it was about demo videos he put out to sell them and the demos were misleading. Pages and pages of requests went on to get him to change the demos. He caused all the bad press himself.

Here's just one of the many threads:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=161044&forum=109

and here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=127967&forum=109
I love the term Bad Press! haha

Honestly, all of my demo videos are awesome! And they get better and better... You will NEVER see me doing chopped up Trailers, or TEASERS!? I try show the same thing you see live... because all magic is better in person. And there are no codes to making a demo. As long as no one is cheated out of money in some sneaky way. Also, refunds and exchanges have always been available for unhappy customers. And in all my sales, ive probably refunded like 3 or 4 people total. Its a matter of fact. And if you check out all of my demo videos, there's NOTHING there that isn't possible.

Plus, you don't even mention my GOOD videos. Magicap, Write Angle, The Sharpie Manual, Cigapen... I like them all, but these are the highest rated. But speak your mind, its an open forum :)
Still no reviews..... :hrmph: ...
Its not out yet Joseph! But it will be soon... Definitely before Thanksgiving.

You guys should tell Baskitboy5 to go to Hanks sometime this week (maybe monday?). He was going to come up on Saturday, but the storm complicated things. I can show him the effect, and if he's cool, even let him play with the gaff. Then you'll have a review! Holla at your boy...
Hey Jesse, I can't get the video to work ... it says its no longer available?
Here it is:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmz3dums3wc[/url]
Thanks Jesse, that looks cool!
Glad you like it! Just remember, the video is really only half as good as the real thing! Trust me, magicians cant even figure this one out! (please, no guessing:)
Haha hoping to go tomorrow guys...convincing my parents that going to the magic shop to meet a magician is safe :D lol, plus its wee bit of a trip, but I gotta spend my bday money sometime!
[quote]
On 2006-10-29 19:26, baskitboy5 wrote:
Haha hoping to go tomorrow guys...convincing my parents that going to the magic shop to meet a magician is safe :D lol, plus its wee bit of a trip, but I gotta spend my bday money sometime!
[/quote]

I had to convine my wife to let me go and meet Jesse also, he's as safe as a teddy bear...unless you're afraid of teddybears
[quote]
On 2006-10-27 12:23, Magicsquared wrote:

I didn't think I was "bashing" this effect, or "crucifying" its creator. I was just stating a legitimate issue I had with this effect, so you might want to save those words for when they're deserved or else they'll lose any meaning they have around here (if they haven't already).
[/quote]

You know, you are right. My comments weren't really deserved for this particular thread. My reaction was more from the culmination of many negative threads here at the Café. There have definitely been much worse "bashfests" here at the forum and I apologize if I offended anyone in this particular thread. I would still have a much better time here (in the Café) if it were a little less negative, but it's far from the meanest place on earth.

I took my little blue pill, so I'm feeling much happier now! :lol: Time to go back to searching for that clown hiding under my bed........... :clownjuggling:
Johnny Mystic is the man! Best post ever! Baskitboy, email me, or have someone call me at the store and Ill stop by whenever. I work like 10 minutes away... And I have my bending pen on me like 24/7!

Mystic, when are you coming back to Boston?
I just got home from Hank's and I was very impressed with this. Its one of those tricks where you feel so superior as the method is so easy and fun, and the spectator has no idea. This is still really rough but I see A TON of potential for this trick. I would not hold any grudges against Jesse, as I know when this comes out Im getting this. I hope to see more of Jesse's stuff in the future and hope I can hang in the shop more often.
Adam
Hey man, you can hang in the shop with us anytime! Im glad you liked it... Ill definitely bring up my other tricks next time. Talk to you then... -Jesse

Posted: Nov 16, 2006 3:39am
---------------------------------------
I'm starting production of Write Angle next week. Should be ready soon!!! :)
I saw the video demo for INTACT. I'm a fool for signed card to impossible location effects. It looked real good. My speakers are out so if there was explanatory patter please forgive me for asking as I could not hear it.

Are you (the magician) signing the card during the real performance or can any spectator sign the card?

Can I do the effect just as you did in the demo except can a spectator be able to freely choose a card and then sign it or will I always have to force and sign the card?

Hope that made sense.

thanks, M&S
[quote]
On 2006-10-25 14:56, Skitch wrote:

Nicely said, a lot of people have been giving out inaccurate information. I'm been here for over 4 years and know your work and the respect people have for you.
[/quote]

Skitch,

I reviewed the PTA thread myself just now. Here are some of the comments:

*Just received mine, not too impressive just an old technique but still have some fun. The price tag is too high for such a item.

*it does require some setup and reset, you make it sound like its the perfect gimmick in fact it far from perfect.

*The effect in the video in one sequence displays the pen being buried up to the logo (next to the arm at the 1:05 mark of the video). Understand that there is no way this can happen with how the effect is explained, made and accomplished.

*Thanks for all the honest posts, guys. There seems to be a near-consensous that this is over priced, and many feel like the advertising is misleading.

*Ok I feel cheated! I just bought pen thru arm and magicap. While they are both decent effects. The demo for Pen thru Arm was completely misleading.

*Just to reiterate PTA is a good effect that was totally misrepresented in the demo.

*I actually find the video demo of PTA VERY misleading and I am a bit disapointed that I purchased this effect.

*Pen Thru Arm is my WORST purchase of last year.

Skitch, I then started reading the "Top Ten Tricks You Want to Throw Out The Window" thread. I stopped at Page 6 (out of 13), but by then had found:

*Pen Thru Arm - Jesse Feinberg

*Pen Through Arm

*My problem with Pen Thru Arm is not so much with the actaul trick, which can be effective if it fits into your style. No, my problem is with the hugely misl;eading demo video.

*I just throw "Pen Thru Arm" to the oven. I bought it because the mislead video demo on Hank Lee.

*Pen thru arm - misleading video, I do not recommend buying something from Jesse Feinberg again; hate being misled on a purchase that much again and all the self promotion that went on via this forum.

*Pen Thru Arm - Jesse Feinberg.........SO BAD..the video demo is misleading !

*You mention about " PEN THRU ARM " I must chime in. The frist day I received it I said to myself what is THIS for the price nearly $40 !! My God.

*Pen thru Arm is not very good. It's exactly what I hoped it wouldn't be.
You are so right. PTA was very misleading. There is no way you can do the effect and then stick the thing back in and hand it out.

*Pen thru arm is pure garbage. I wasted over 20 bucks for this.

*You can add me to the list of pen-thru-arm haters. No matter what you say Jesse the demo was misleading.

Like I said, I stopped reading at Page 6, and the thread is 13 pages long.

My point here is NOT to debase PTA or Jesse at all; I bought PTA and found it okay. Didn't have strong feelings about it one way or the other, but I agreed that the demo was misleading. Jesse gave me some good information in a private message when I (as well as many other people) had trouble with an element of the handling.

My point is to address your protestations that PTA's detractors don't know what they're talking about, that 99% of the people who bought PTA loved it, that nobody's been accusing Jesse of misleading demos. Well, I'm not sure what possible basis you have for making that statement unless it's just blind adoration. But the threads themselves don't bear out your proclamations.

--Josh
Jesse:

I like the way the video looks.
When will they be in stock at HLs?
I'd like to pop in and see it demoed.

Tony
What's up with this?
Is it coming out or not?
Here's the link to the "Write Angle" demo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmz3dums3wc

This will be out at the beginning of 07', I don't want to rush the production. It will be available at Hank Lee's as well as a few other retailers (TBA). You guys are going to LOVE this one! I also have ANOTHER new effect coming out before the end of this year called "Coin Thru Box". Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ2J8jIYGVQ
The coin thru box will be good if the spectator can examine the box immediately after the trick with no switch (which I find hard to imagine).
Otherwise they will think exactly what I thought the first time I saw it.
It looks like what is happening, is exactly what is happening!
I think most of you know what I mean.
Just an opinion of course...I'm sure in the right hands it could look miraculous!
The vid states: "Everything can be examined!"
Well looks like you're on a roll. I should stop by soon and check this stuff out! If you ever need a reviewer...im here for ya ;) As long as I get free effects! JK. Can't wait to see this stuff and write angle is such a fun concept that most should enjoy.
I just saw the demo. The pen starts to move slowly and then at one point "jumps" to its final position, almost like 2 magnets jumping toward each other (just an ****ogy). That makes it look very gimmicky. Is there a way to make the bend look smooth all the way to the end? THAT would be impressive!

Thanks,

Jeff
The gimmick takes time to get used to, after 20 minutes of working with it I had it looking decent, but nothing like Jesse. If you take the time, you can improve it.
[quote]
On 2006-12-18 17:00, Steve Hook wrote:
The vid states: "Everything can be examined!"
[/quote]

C'mon steve...this is ad type. This could mean examined before and after....this, "Everything can be examined!", is a broad statement. You know that, this is a magic trick ;)
OK, why on Earth was the word "****OGY" changed to "****OGY" on my post above? Did that become a bad word and I missed it on the news? Apparently it's not offensive to USE ****ogies, as they left the magnet part of my ****ogy intact. (Is "intact" a bad word too?) I'm soooooo confused!

Jeff
DOH!!!
You will be impressed then my "mon"! :)

You have complete control over the bend (slow, fast, whatever). I used that take because it was the best overall, and I wanted to show a full performance... It looks very natural in person, demo videos do not do my effects justice. If you think it looks at all cool, then you will be BLOWN AWAY by how it looks in person. Plus, its VERY fun to play with! And the pen really is IMMEDIATELY examinable! No switches, no pulls, no setup. Instant reset. I am even including a self working handling! No sleight of hand, nothing! I should have this effect done by the first week of January. A lot of work is going into the construction of this... I want it to be perfect!

Also, I wanted to point out that guessing methods wont get you anywhere... Only one person here other than myself knows how this works specifically (shhhh). Trust me, the method is practical, easy to master, and allows for many possible handlings. There's nothing like this on the market, yet. :) PM me if you have any specific questions. Im here to help. -Jesse
Thanks Jessiah, that sounds like something to look forward to. This one is on my "short list" of effects to watch out for. I'm looking forward hearing more about it. Any narrower time frame on when in '07 to look out for this? (The week, day, and time of day will be fine.) :)

Jeff
How about the second week of February, on a Tuesday at 10:45. And if you miss it, I get one for free. Deal? (I'm not trying to pressure you or anything). :)
Haha! We'll, Im currently on vacation and unsure how long I'll be staying (forever?). Good thing I brought all the materials needed to make about 100 Write Angles:) I can always go home, or get more materials shipped if needed too.

Im talking to my main distributers... I was thinking January 15th, or February 1st. Absolutely no later. If it takes any longer, I will send you (and you only) a free one... :) But I don't think you'll be that lucky, I'm very anxious to release this, you'll have it soon! Thanks for adding me to the "short list". :)
The video looks good, but I wish the pen bent more smoothly.
If everything can really be examinable with no switches and a nice smooth bend all the time, then I'd say It's is a nice piece of magic.
I'd love to hear some reviews on people who have worked with it.
It sounds like it may be a winer Jesse.
It is truly examinable! Yes, as always you may need to clean up, but trust be even doing the clean up is fun! I had no idea when Jesse gave me the bent pen...I just kept rubbing it...it wouldn't unbend! I can't wait for this release!
"I just kept rubbing it...it wouldn't unbend! I can't wait for this release!"

errrr............nevermind.
HAHA! Baskitboy is right though... its actually FUN to perform/clean up/fool the cr@p out of people with this! He had a chance to play with Write Angle at Hank's store! Thanks for your on going reviews buddy!!! Even for me, it's still hard to put down. I don't usually leave the house without one. Even if I'm going food shopping! If I'm going to do magic for someone, I NEED to have my Write Angle with me. HIPHOP: Yes, the bend can be as slow or fast as you'd like. You have complete control over it, yet it seems to have a mind of its own!!!! Your definitely going to use this, and you'll have fun burning other magicians with it as well!
That's awesome that you can send an email to cr@p. He's the man!!!!
Interesting Jessiah!

Congrats on your new effect.
Thanks Nick-V. I can't wait for everyone to get this! It's also the perfect effect to go along with my other pen effects. After the release, I have another pen effect coming out (top secret). I was thinking about making a package deal of all my pen effect together if you order through my site (big discount!). Let me know what you guys think!
Cool ... another one?
I love top secret stuff.
When will the next demo be ready?
I'd love to check it out.
YES! You wont believe this next one... I will leak a tiny bit of info here for you guys.

It will include more than a few effects, all using regular bic pens. This will include a brand new bending pen effect (unlike anything on the market, or my effect Write Angle). You'll learn how to visually melt and twist a pen. Also, you will be able to visually shrink a pen (unlike anything out). No pulls, no setup. Everything is examinable! Much more included, and the method is going to allow you to create many more effects! More on this later... :)
WOAH! Sounds like you've been busy! Can't wait to see some of this stuff man! Keep me updated!
Definitely! I'll let you know when I get back to town... This stuff looks like real magic!
Hi,

The video show the real trick or the trick the audience will rememer ?

I mean : I do practicaly the same trick with a spoon (it is easy to do it with a pen)
The demo video is a real performance, what you would see in the mirror AND what the audience will remember. Trust me, you do not do the same effect with your pen. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions. Thanks elierfr! -Jesse
But Jesse, have you answered the REAL question? Can I do this trick naked?
And my follow up question: If you say I CAN do this trick naked, will you assist me with the bail money that I will most likely need when I am done?
You can do it naked, but I insist that you at least put some pants on for the love of god! haha :)
LMAO
My face in my picture goes perfect with the first part of my post too! haha cold stare.
Jesse, your reply was really no surprise. The police tell me that all the time. Perhaps I should find another venue to perform in than the local church..LOL
Yeah, strip clubs, chipendales, manray (boston joke), etc... Funny man!

Seriously though, no restrictions with this effect. Angles are great too, I've done this surrounded no problem.
Yeah, Chippendales could make a fortune with me as a stripper if they charged the ladies to LEAVE!

But seriously, I just saw the demo again. After the pen is bent, you can see the plastic "wrinkled up" at the bend while the pen is in the bent position. After time, will the pen show any permanent marks in that area when the pen is straight? Thanks.

Jeff
The first one I ever made lasted forever... up until I handed it out for examination, and the girl actually cracked the pen in half trying to bend it back! This can be avoided by just telling people to be very gentle, they respect that especially after seeing something so magical, and getting to handle it immediately. In the instructions, I will cover how to replace this if that ever happens. As far as regular wear, there is no problem... and it is very easy to make new Write Angles if you want to. This is especially good if you have a favorite company pen you'd like to use. I will take owners through the whole process of what I do, making them from scratch.

Great question, keep em' coming!
"The first one I ever made lasted forever... up until I handed it out for examination, and the girl actually cracked the pen in half trying to bend it back!"

HAHA. I got a Bendy Pen as a freebie from Penguin way back and the first person I tried it out on broke it trying to bend it too hard.

I like the fact that I'll be able to make custom pens. Without revealing anything, would it be cost-prohibitive to give company pens that are gimmicked away as freebies?

Jeff
Sure you could, it will be an alternate handling that I will explain in the instructions. It would only cost you the pen. The original Write Angle handling allows them to immediately examine the pen, which is usually enough though.
[quote]
On 2006-12-21 11:37, Jessiah wrote:

You have complete control over the bend (slow, fast, whatever). I used that take because it was the best overall, and I wanted to show a full performance... It looks very natural in person, demo videos do not do my effects justice. If you think it looks at all cool, then you will be BLOWN AWAY by how it looks in person. Plus, its VERY fun to play with! And the pen really is IMMEDIATELY examinable! No switches, no pulls, no setup. Instant reset. I am even including a self working handling! No sleight of hand, nothing! I should have this effect done by the first week of January. A lot of work is going into the construction of this... I want it to be perfect!

[/quote]

[quote]
On 2006-12-21 20:36, baskitboy5 wrote:
It is truly examinable! Yes, as always you may need to clean up, but trust be even doing the clean up is fun! I had no idea when Jesse gave me the bent pen...I just kept rubbing it...it wouldn't unbend! I can't wait for this release!
[/quote]

so it is "IMMEDIATELY examinable!" ? Jesse
so, "as always you may need to clean up"? baskitboy5

please clarify. As I posted above, the words immediately examinable mean nothing in a magic trick add.
If you watch the demo, the moment the pen is brought close to the camera, the spectator could GRAB the pen out of your hand and examine it. I wouldn't recommend it for crowd control purposes, but the bent pen is clean. This means, that when your done bending, you can immediately hand the pen out to them, and they can examine it to their hearts content. Its REALLY melted! I hope this clarifies. Baskitboy5 has had the opportunity to play with the final version of Write Angle. What he says is true. The pen can be immediately handed out, no pulls, no switches, no funny moves/sleights, no misdirection needed, no clothing required (haha), no angles to worry about, no lighting issues, no hookups, no no no no haha

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything, or you can PM me if you have more "tricky" questions for me. Thanks for the great question, its important everyone understands Write Angle is SUPER CLEAN!!!!
"... no clothing required (haha), ..."

Ummm...the church I perform for wants me to ask you if you can modify the trick so that clothes MUST be worn. :)

Jeff
And then rename it Right Angel... :) ..
Just so you guys know, Hank Lee's will have the first batch Tuesday for shipment. It should be up on his Hot List with the demo video too. Enjoy! -Jesse
I may stop in next saturday and pick one up...maybe you'll be there!
I'll have one for you, chances are the store won't have to many left... See you Saturday afternoon! -Jesse
Hi Jessiah,

Do you have to have something that generates heat or fire on yourself to set-up this trick?

Thank you and I wish you great success with the release of your product,
Greg Rostami
Hey Greg, There is no setup required like that all. No hookups, nothing to heat up, or chemicals used. Just throw your Write Angle in your case or pocket, and your good to go. It's very easy to perform, and amaze people with! When the pen starts to bend and melt on it's own, it gets GREAT reactions! They think the tricks done after bending the pen, and then you hand it to them to check out (instant reset) Aside from doing Cigapen in France for smokers, Write Angle has given me the best reactions ever!

If you'd like, I'll trade you for a STUCK! DVD. I love that effect, but I am unsure if I can pull it off with my coin skills (dismal). Lemme know! -Jesse
Has anyone received his "Write angle" and can post a review?
Hello Jesse,

I have a question about the "Coin thru Box" : can this be done with any borrowed coin AND a borrowed pack of cigs (with the cellophane on, of course :) )? In a word : if not impromptu, how long is the set-up ?

Regards,
Kohai
If you go to the "tricks and effects" room, there is a topic on Write Angle going (with more reviews).

Kohai: You could do that if you wanted. I don't want to go into details here, but the setup to do something like that would be very quick, something you could do right in front of them. The coin can always be borrowed and signed. It works best on Card Boxes, although anything could be adapted... Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks for your interest -Jesse
Great video.
You'll be getting an order from me soon jessiah
Thank you Jon! Write Angle has been really popular, I'm so glad magicians are using it and having fun with it! It's definitely my favorite because its the type of trick you could do at a moments notice. Please let me know when you get it, I am always available for discussion! Thanks -Jesse
Hey Jesse, how are the new tricks coming? I have finals next week and then its summer, so I should be able to go to Hanks some, would love to see some new stuff as well as Intact...still haven't seen it! BTW, having lots of fun with my Write Angle, keep up the great thinking!
Adam
Give me a call anytime, when you know your coming to the city. I'm working on 2 super top secret effects that I can tell you about, hopefully prototypes will be done soon. Super visual, real magic kinda stuff... :) Talk to you soon!