(Close Window)
Topic: Cutlery in spectator's coat routine
HI guys,

I am doing this funny bit with cutlery in spectator's coat I am just looking for producing something BIG in the end as a kicker... Anybody has done this or can give me ideas on how and what would be appropriate??

Thanks!

Bond...James Bond...
You want to find the Eddie Joseph book "Body Loading".

Could be a bit tricky to source.

Timothy
I believe you may be able to even use Peter Loughran's black hole gimmick to do something of the sort. You can see a emo video of it on his website.

http://www.masterofillusions.ca

Haas
A spatula, or those crank double egg beaters. That could be fun.
How about bigger and bigger kitchen utensils,then pots and pans.

The final big pot could even hold all the other "loads" inside it.
I'd look for a load that ties into your act or character -- a "callback" prop, if you will.

Comedy writer guy
Check out Mike Caveny's old act.
A bottle of wine (ala Splash by David Stone)
After the cutlery, produce a plate and then a Harbin table that opens up complete with centerpiece bouquet (spring flowers), table cloth, and maybe a lit candle. Produce a champagne bottle and a wine glass from a little towel (The Thing), and then a small folding chair for the spectator to sit down at the table while you pop open the champagne and offer him or her some. Here's a link to the small folding chairs that double as walking sticks and also a portable tripod folding chair:

http://everywherechair.com/quad-stool.html

Bon appétit!
I like the idea of the table and tablecloth.

For more food production items, click here: http://www.artificialfood.com/$spindb.query.shopindex.tdview

Scroll the drop-down box to the upper left.

Rick
It's NOT Mike Caveney's "OLD" act it is his "CURRENT" act.
Pete my point was it is tough to see him do it any more.

Well at conventions I suppose sorry
[quote]
On 2006-11-06 21:40, Pete Biro wrote:
It's NOT Mike Caveney's "OLD" act it is his "CURRENT" act.
[/quote]

Amen, Pete.

Hmmm... Ideas ideas... what would one never expect to see produced from a jacket after a bunch of utensiles... how about a bong?
The kitchen sink would be awesom. I know caveney does the joke about it, but if someone was to actually produce a kitchen sink it would be amazing.
Marx Bros. did a routine like this at the end of Animal Crackers. Harpo, who had just been forgiven for swiping a painting, now starts , in front of the cops to "drop" the silverware from the household. They did the routine so many times on the stage that Groucho had the timing down so well he adlibed "Gee I can't imagine what is holding up tht coffee pot" about which time a large silver coffee pot came out. The key to make the final load funny is a lot like what Groucho did, timing, and some comment to give it a kick. Something like having the coffee pot come out with a pair of boxer shorts hung to its handle, then a pair of socks hung to that, to which the entertainer, lifts up his pant legs and sees he is no longer wearing socks. Corn, but it gets laughs.
If you can work out a way to pull a waitress out of their you'll have a winner....
"Sloppy waitress..... Ooh here she is" Ta Da.

Lot's of methods I'm sure.

J
After the regular-size cutlery... produce Giant size spoon, knife and fork.
Just wondering if this has ever been published somewhere and who was the originator? I was thinking of doing something with this plot in the future but I havent seen it published anywhere and I don't want to steal anyone elses unpublished material...

Juha-Matti
Jamesbaond:

What you might decide to produce could be affected by what you are doing with the cutlery and the spectator's pocket. (of course it doesn't have to but it might make for a more satisfying ending if the produced whatever had some relevance to the preceding routine)

Are you doing the classic spoon and fork transposition effect?

If so maybe a full 145 piece cutlery set as a finale? Something along the lines of: "Of course you can do this trick easily if you have an extra spoon.... and I've got plenty to choose from"

Or maybe change the spoon into a knife and say that now you've got a set of ironware all that's missing is something to eat... and produce a roast dinner on a plate.... or instead of a roast dinner a tin of beans and show that the knife and fork have now become a tin opener... and then if you you open the tin and inside are the knife, fork and spoon... and then...ad nauseum...

Or then again maybe something else. It seems to me that it could be a good strategy to first of all find the 'what' and 'why' (what to produce and why you are producing it) and then set about determining the how. It might be that the how ends up changing the what...which might then cause you to alter the why..... but that's how routines develop and come into being.

Or then again you could produce something that is a total non sequitur.

The world is your oyster...or lobster... maybe you could produce one of those too?
1. A pair of handcuffs
2. Burritos
3. A steak
4. Never ending napkin..(ala long glove)
5. Mug shot of the person in Wanted pose(with eyes blacked out)
Pre show work required
6. A harmonica and play the prison blues...(to follow # 1 above)
Stealing something like a large metal water jug filled with cutlery would give you a final load to produce after the cutlery and a way of holding the cutlery out.