(Close Window)
Topic: One for the money
Hello,
I was wonderign if anyone could pm me any info on this trick as to its working.
I have been searching for it forever and have never had luck, the local magic shops unable to order in the product. any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Wish I could help. I've not heard of this one before. Can you share any more information that could help me track it down?

Mark.
This is an effect by Bill Goldman, still available from all good magic stores.
Its basically a card at any number effect, using an ordinary deck with no gimmicks, very effective and virtually self working. Hope this is the one you are referring to.
Paul.
Yes that is the one I'm looking for, sorry that I wasnt completely clear.
No worries mate, just come back from holiday in Australia had a great time. What is it that you are trying to find out.
This effect uses an ungimmicked deck/borrowed deck and is totally impromptu, no set up needed and only one simple move.Spec is asked to shuffle the cards then selects one and puts anywhere in the deck, shuffle again remembering his selection.All this occurs in the spec hands. Magician takes the deck and asks spec to name a number between 1 and 52. Spec names a number and the magician deals card face down onto the table until he gets to that number.He then holds the card in his hand and puts the deck aside.Spec names his card and magi slowly turns over the card. It is the selected card!
That is the basic effect and there are no really difficult slights or moves to perform. Can't say much more without telling you how its done.
Paul
Hi Paul,

Sounds interesting. Is this a single trick sold at a magic shop or one from a book? I have never heard of this one before and would like to look into it further.

Thanks, Mark.
Its a single effect. Definitely one of my favorite ACAAN...This is the trick I use to trick magicians because they expect something much more complicated than it really is. Its actually a very simple and straightforward method. Wish I could help you find it...

James
Thanks James. OK...now...the hunt begins!

Mark.
You can get this effect and see an on line demo from jbtv,
hope this helps.
Don't get too enthusiastic, the reality is not what the add reads. It's not a matter of pick any card, shuffle it back and give it back to the magician.

It is: deal cards till you want to stop, do something with the cards that the mag. tells you to do, give the deck back, the magician does something with the deck and makes a kind a move that is not necessary and voila !

This is what the add should read. For me it was a total rip-off. Even for the 10 bucks. Look at the demo at jbtv.co.uk.
Frans
If the add stated EXACTLY what REALLY happened they would have to explain the method. that's true for every effect ever. The "move" to accomplish the effect is invisible and if your audience is seeing it then you are performing the effect wrong. The cards are counted fairly and very slowly. The card is then fairly taken and held in the hand and turned over. The add is very fair. Maybe you should work on the trick a little more before calling it a rip off.
You could alter the first part of the effect,ie have a spectator shuffle the cards,take the cards back riffle through and get him to just peak at a card,then as an after thought get him to reshuffle the deck and continue on with the effect from that position.
I don't agree what you say, James, but that doesn't surpise you, I think.

In my post I discribed what really happens without giving the method away. so it is possible tot give a more accurate discription as in the add.
And I call it a rip-off because the text in the add isn't 100% honest. You think you buy an effect that is quite clean, but it isn't. That I don't like the move, well, that is just bad luck for me.
Maybe it is a matter of taste. If I read all the posts at the Café about Bill Goldman he's the hero of the magicworld, but so far I'm not impressed by his work (and I know some other effects by him). Anyway, I'm glad you like it.
And Warren: thanks for the tip !

Frans
This all comes down to when enough is enough in describing an effect. Obviously people are going to have different opinions. (as you and I do on this particular effect) Yes, its true that you described the effect more fully than the add...But is it full enough for someone else? Someone could argue that even your description of the effect is not telling us enough information. However, I think it's better to be vague than revealing.

I think an effect should be described as seen by the spectator...Within reason. You cannot say a levitation gets a height of 2 feet simply because some spectators may remember it that way. I don't think there are any set rules to follow, but it just needs to be within reason. I think One For The Money's add is most certainly within reason. After all, reading an effect along the lines of "you never touch the deck, the spectator does everything and the card is still at the number!" should kind of let you know this isn't really exactly what is happening. Something is happening for you to get the card to this position.

However, to the spectator it appears they select a card and shuffled it in the deck. You then take the deck back and deal to a selected number and its their card. I can see where you are coming from and I think it can be very difficult to describe effects fairly. However, on a list of effects that have not been described fairly, I would rank this very, very low down in the list.

James
This is a great trick.
Try it out a few times before making immediate judgements.
This IS a great trick.

The move seems too bold. The trick seems too simple. But it works! I have always received excellent reactions from the spectators.
It is a great trick. After it's shuffled and handed back to the magician I spread the cards to show they're mixed (in the process doing what you need to do) and hand the deck back to the spectator to deal the cards into my hands and then reveal the selected card at their selected number. They remember a free selection, shuffling all they want and then dealing to the number.
I perform it quite often, with small changes to the presentation. It's a nice effect that's totally impromptu, if there happens to be a deck of cards handy. This is one effect that can be performed with a dog-eared deck. Bob Kohler produced the DVD for Bill Goldman, so you know who to contact if you have trouble tracking down the DVD.
One For The Money has tremendous impact on an audience. It's a Bill Goldman masterpiece. To me one of the real joys of performing magic is being deceptive. Sometimes is a series of incredible, indetectable sleight of hand moves, sometimes it's a gimmick that took years to develop (I admit this is a plug for the holdout).

One For The Money is neither of these methods. It's a brilliant combination of presentation setting the audience up for ONE MOMENT. At that moment one move happens. And the combination is devastating.

One of my favorite effects is the classic perfect stop trick. One For The Money fits my stop trick presentation perfectly. When Bill showed me One For The Money at a trade show about ten years ago I basically begged him to let me do it. He was in a good mood and told me I could do it but not around magicians. I kept my promise.

The reason is this, it's not a magician fooler but it will fool any audience. My favorite quote in all of magic is in Erdnase. "The professional magician unable to improve the method changes the moment." This is one of Bill's strengths. He found a great moment. He clearly sees the effect methods have on the audience. If you work up One For The Money and understand why it works you'll have a trick you'll use for the rest of your life. I still use it all of the time. It's a keeper.
[quote]
On 2007-01-02 13:04, Bob Kohler wrote:

The reason is this, it's not a magician fooler but it will fool any audience. My favorite quote in all of magic is in Erdnase. "The professional magician unable to improve the method changes the moment." [/quote]

Bob, I hate to differ with you here buddy, but I have fooled several guys/gals in our club who, I guess maybe have never seen this trick as well as a few other magicians over time. You might not fool a top pro magician/cardician but certainly it will fool most amateur magicians and fool 'em bad! It certainly should be in one's card arsenal as it has all the ingrediants of a great card trick.

Snidini
Hey Bob I also have fooled a few well versed card men and magicians when performing this at Midwest Magic (selling a few of the dvd's in the process). The moment is so strong it flies right by. It is one of my 2 favorite impromptu card routines. Great effect.
You're right Tom. I remember seeing Bill's lecture there and watching him fool a room full of 'em who hadn't seen it before. And yes, the moment is so strong it DOES fly right by them.
I saw Bill Goldman last week at the lecture he gave in San Jose IBM, he did this trick and the audinece was WOW by it. He is a good lecturer and performer.
I saw the demo and this looks like a great trick. The method was pretty transparent to me (as I'm sure it was to most of you) from seeing the demo. Although I wonder, for those of you who have the DVD-- are there extra bits of information taught that you felt added significantly to what can be gleaned from watching the demo? Spending this amount of money to purchase the method to one trick is not worth the investment to me, especially since it is so transparent. However, it might be worth it if there are lots of nice touches, extra ideas, variations, etc. that the creator goes into on the DVD. I know there are supposed to be a few performance stories, but I'm really wondering if there are any variations or ideas to make the trick more deceptive on the DVD. If there are, I'd be interested in supporting the creator. Please advise if you feel so inclined. Thanks in advance.
Stick with the manuscript, Fritz.
The DVD will only get you some anecdote and that's all.
If you think the handling is already clear to you, keep your money in your pocket.

Frans
Thanks Frans,

I'll take your advice.
I love this trick and perform it often. I also love Boomerang and the Bunny Card Trick by Bill Goldman. These card tricks are some of my favorites. Easy and super effective.

Anabelle
I'm not sure where to post this or IF I'm allowed to post this message...

Bill Goldman (that's me) is looking for contacts to set up a lecture tour. I would like to lecture in the USA, UK, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, but not all at once! Can anyone help me in any of these areas or point me in the right direction? I have a lot of new ideas to share, many never seen before. Thanks for any suggestions.
Thanks- Bill
Bill,

Try heading to http://www.magic-lectures.com and follow the contact info for Aaron DeLong (I believe his email is aaron@magic-lectures.com). He and a partner have set up a network to promote lecture tours. You may have already heard about it, but in case you haven't, I encourage you to head there. I'd love to see you lecture in Columbus, Ohio (where DeLong is based). Hope that helps.
I saw Bill lecture in Hollywood Florida a little while ago. He was outstanding and funny. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I have Bill's One for the Money and Boomerang. Both are outstanding and very easy.
Hey Fritz,

Thanks for the promo! I'll do what I can to get him here.

Bill,

If you are interested in more info on the lecture tour we have put together, visit http://www.doubledtour.com. Email me at aaron@doubledtour.com or the one Fritz mentioned will work too.

Cheers,
Aaron DeLong
No problem Aaron.

P.S. If you see Justin, tell him Brett said hello.
Brett,

I haven't seen Justin Miller in quite a while, neither has anyone that I know. But if I see him, I'll do so.

Aaron
Bill puts on one of the best lectures I've ever been to. His stories are almost as good as his tricks he teaches. Don't miss this lecture!

Jeff Pierce

P.S. I perform a variation of Bill's "One for the Money" that kills!
Can anyone clarify if Bill's Boomerang effect is very similar in working as One For The Money?
They are similar but different
Boomerang being a prediction & one for the money being acaan.
they have different methods , however I would not do both in the same set.
Both are fantastic and get amazing reactions
Hope this help
I purchased this effect a while ago, but to be honest, if I had watched the demo from jbtv, I wouldn't have purchased it.

I agree the ad is very much misleading, at least misleaded me to purchase this item.

$10 for one trick, I think we would expect more, much more than this one.
This trick is wonderful...it packs a big punch and works easy...I use it all the time...
Curiously disparate reviews!
I don't care who disagrees - I think the effect is killer. I've been using this for many years ( and I mean MANY!) and I've also fooled well-versed guys with it too.

It's like any other effect in magic: it will either play big or fall flat depending on how you build it up and play it.

Pure GOLD as far as I'm concerned.
J, I too think it's pure Gold and anyone who passes this by is missing one of the most clever and jaw dropping tricks available. One of my top ten card tricks.
[quote]
On 2007-11-27 16:26, cardfreakhk wrote:
$10 for one trick, I think we would expect more, much more than this one.
[/quote]

Ok, fine. But do tell - how much is *your* creativity worth? I haven't seen any of your creations for sale anywhere....
One for the Money has been out for a while now. Taught by Bill himself in DVD format. I'm not a big fan of one trick DVD's as they tend to be overpriced.
The trick itself is excellent, you can easily adapt it to your own style of presentation.

This was regularly priced at $20, not $10. Looks like it is discounted from dealers now if you want to pick one up.

Better yet, post a wanted to buy here on the forum. I'm sure you will get replies.
One for the Money is excellent and couldn't be easier to perform.
Bought this DVD at a convention and have to say that it is one of the most simplistic ACAAN. Packs small (or not at all, becaus you can use a borrowed ungaffed deck) and plays big. Well worth it.
Excellent effect! Couldn't be easier for ACAAN.