(Close Window)
Topic: New book on magic and spirituality
Hi all,
It's a long time since I've been on the Café.
I've been working on something and I'm now glad to announce the news of a book, soon to be published by O Books/John Hunt Publishing. It is an attempt to try to combine my two loves (magic and spirituality) from the perspective of priest who is (how shall I say) more liberal/inclusive than what we usaully come across in 'Gospel Magic'. It is called 'The Gospel of Falling Down' (sub title) the beauty of faliure in an age of success, and is (among other things) a critique of the current 'success culture' we live in (especially within the church). It uses many magical effects with stories (without exposing the effects) and takes the reader on a journey which I hope will enable many to discover their own inner gold / inner magic (which is REAL). Though I am a Christian priest it is NOT a book set to influence in a narrow way. It is not an effort to convert, and could be read and made sense of by people of all faiths or none. The truths it proclaims are universal and not tied to one particular religion or ideology.
The reason I am telling the magical fraternity about the book is twofold:
1) I would love to hear what fellow magicians/mentalists make of it, and
2) I do not think I have ever come across a book by a CHRISTIAN member of the Magic Circle (or any other magic community) that comes from the liberal/universalist tradition. My approach (in what I call my 'Magic of the Soul') is to use magic, story, ritual etc. to open folk up to the child-like-wonder they have often forgotten how to experience, and leave them with a deep feeling of connection to something bigger than themselves.
If anyone is interested in checking it out it is already up for pre-order on Amazon.com / co.uk or can be found on the http://www.johnhunt-publishing.com site.
It is to be published very early next year under the title of-
THE GOSPEL OF FALLING DOWN
Many thanks to you all,
Bright blessings,
Mark Townsend
Welcome to the Café! The book sounds interesting. I will bookmark the website to check out later.
Thanks Jeff. Really appreciated.
Mark
Very intriguing. Sounds like quite the accomplishment actually.

...and welcome to the Café. :)

Neil
Welcome to the Café Mark
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the Café! Your books sounds interesting
Hi Neil, Hi Mike, Hi Rory,
Well thanks guys for your welcome, and for taking the book seriously.
Means a lot - really it does!
Mark
Just a note that this book is out now, and available via Amazon. It is great, and I wrote a small little review in the Good News section.

RevJohn
Mark, your title alone is intriguing. Good luck to you, and welcome back to the Café.
Hi there,

Welcome to the Magic Café!

Hope to see you around!

Many thanks

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)

PS We are both called Mark! lol