(Close Window)
Topic: Voodoo Video
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw5TneDkjIg[/url]

Check it out--short and simple--much to be desired still--not too many of this out there--Peace...
Wonderful intro, Baba. Thanks.

Nal
Thank you baba, for posting the video...
and once again you have enlightened us....
Thanks Baba, a very informative little piece. Any idea what the music is?

Dave
I'll add my thanks in here as well. I enjoyed watching that a lot.
Yeah great, wheres my book.
[quote]
On 2006-11-14 01:06, Scott Xavier wrote:
Yeah great, wheres my book.
[/quote]

lol, yeah ditto! though I just order so I'll be a little more patient...
A great piece that reinforces what we know and might enlighten a few who think that VooDoo is just a black magic art... *** Hollywood somedays...
Hello Baba thank for share the video, a purpose the books is great I love the chapter of consultin with the goods.
ADUPEPOPO!(thanx and praise)...

Yes, this is a fine intro, a temporary thirst quencher to the deeper and truer aspects of the Olde Lodge of Vodou.....

ah, the footage of the mountings(possesions) are courtesy of the beloved and beautiful MAYA DEREN--a european mystic woman researcher of Vodou--she went to haiti and studied and the result of her research good mage can be found in the book DIVINE HORSEMAN, and the video is the same name and rather hard to find--I had a copy and would have copied it for all of you, but alas, it was consumed by the greedy fire we had last year(I went into a still hot and smoldering house to retrieve the floppy for my book, so I am lucky to have been able to release it...)

anyhow, I recommend her works---VERY DEEP--she wrote one of if not THE most in depth Vodou books EVER!!!!!!!! the book is easily found at amazon.com, and again highly recommended........after you buy mine, of course....har har har...

it is popular knowledge that Deren, although totally ignorant of Vodou and its workings, was MOUNTED quite often by the LOA(spirits)....absolutely amazing what the mind can open it self to............a most profound self hypnosis/trance be the root of the mountings, no doubt...

AYIBOBO BONSWA!

GeDe
Baba:

A search on Maya Deren found the "Divine Horsemen" released in DVD

http://www.mysticfire.com/index.html?cart=1163536292354875

Is this the same movie?

Dave
YES!! good to know it around again....thanx ! everyone get it!
I just ordered it. Now on sale -- $26.98 ($31.66 with regular shipping). Jeez I gotta stop this!

Thanks, Dave!

Bill
NICE!!! I THINK you'll ENJOY THE XTRA RARE FOOTAGE----AND ALSO, LOOK HER UP, MAYA DEREN, QUITE A MYSTICAL (NOT TO MENTION SEXY) GODDESS SHE WAS..... :)
This just in...
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/11/16/D8LE8F0O3.html
As those guys in scooby doo would say:

"AND I WOULDA HAVE 'EM TOO IF IT WASNT FOR THOSE PESKY CIA SECRET SERVICE AGENTS ARGH"
After watching this video, my knee has been cured! It must be magic.
Now, if only we can get that freakin' mail man to come.....
[quote]
On 2006-11-16 10:19, Gede Nibo wrote:
NICE!!! I THINK you'll ENJOY THE XTRA RARE FOOTAGE----AND ALSO, LOOK HER UP, MAYA DEREN, QUITE A MYSTICAL (NOT TO MENTION SEXY) GODDESS SHE WAS..... :)
[/quote]

With a name like Maya, she has to be cool.

Nal, the Unreal
Thank you, Baba. It was a beautiful film about community.

L
I loved the Vid. Thanks. Love that song as well.
Wow! Really beautiful... thanks Baba. The music credits, btw, are listed in the info box next to the video. Just click "more." Lovely images and music, and very informative!

Seth
[quote]
On 2006-11-17 01:35, Seth speaks wrote:
Wow! Really beautiful... thanks Baba. The music credits, btw, are listed in the info box next to the video. Just click "more." Lovely images and music, and very informative!

Seth
[/quote]

SETH SPEAKS.

(HAHA, SORRY, couldn't RESIST)

:)
Thanks Seth. I totally missed the credits.

Dave
http://www.ubu.com/film/deren.html

The whole teepee!

Geronimo.
Fantastic video Baba; do you have a source for the music used ib it?
Kotah, Pm'd you...
Below is the text to accompany the film I posted a link to above.
Just in case I was not clear enough about what I was posting.

The link is to the complete film, 57 minutes,

Geronimo.

Divine Horsemen 1947

Maya Deren takes us on a journey into the fascinating world of the Voudoun religion, whose devotees commune with the cosmic powers through invocation, offerings, song and dance. The Voudoun pantheon of deities, or loa, is witnessed as being living gods and goddesses, actually taking possession of their devotees. The soundtrack conveys the incantatory power of the ritual drumming and singing.

"Maya Deren first went to Haiti as an artist . . . but the manifestations of rapture that seized her, and transported her beyond the bounds of any art she had ever known."
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Mar 7, 2007 03:51PM)
Thanks, Baba. Nice video and very informative. I can REALLY relate. Funny how Hollywood twists up the truth of SO many different people to meet their agenda. Sad how many people believe these Hollywood movies are factual.
Autumn
Thokoza Baba,
I've watched the video a few times, I really enjoy it. We would have quite the time together!

It's beautiful, really. It reminds me of "home" :)

Go well,
J.
Glad to offer this fellas...just a smidgeon of what goes on in the Vodou/shamanic realms...

Listen, there are a million books on vodou, and I've read at least half; of all the books, as stated above, [b]Divine Horsemen[/b] by Deren is the sin qua non for education on the subject...a [b]must read[/b]...one of them books that you [b]never ever[/b] stop learning from...

and thanks to the mage who gave the link to the Deren movie....

Hey Bill Ligon--how'd you like the DVD [b]Divine Horsemen[/b]??? old, yet timeless...

Baba
Baba, DIVINE HORSEMEN is terrific. It is old but not out-of-date.It is one of my treasures, to be sure!

Bill
I studied film making in College and my specialized focus was on Avante Garde cinema. Maya Deren was among the leaders of the feminist experimental cinema wave and flat out took my breath away. Her experimental films (also available on DVD now) are every bit as worthy of your attention.

Baba,
I know that I have some of her unreleased films and writings. Unfortunately they are well packed away, but I will search for them and contact you when I find them.
I loved the video, I didn't know any of this before. I was one of the products of hollywood. I'm glad you showed me the light. the song behind it was beautiful, what language was it in? Creole?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/06/africa_voodoo_priestess/html/1.stm

Here's a relevant photo series.
I watched part of the vid. I will get back to it again but it is VERY informative.
Good job!

Marqus
Yes, thank you for this post. Very educational. I am wondering if Baba or anyone else has ever read a novel called 'Falling Angel' by William Hjortsberg. I just ordered it from a small press publisher. Although fiction, it supposedly has much to do with voodoo and, I believe, was the basis of the film Angel Heart. As we know, there is usually a marked difference between book and film, as evidenced by Wade Davis' 'The Serpent and the Rainbow'. I was informed that the voodoo information in 'Falling Angel' is very accurate.