(Close Window)
Topic: Best sources of impromptu magic
I recently purchased Greg Wilson's On the Spot and Off the Cuff videos. Since I usually do card magic, this was new to me. They are absolutely fantastic. I was wondering if you guys could recommend other books/videos that focus on the same kind of magic. Thanks
Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic is a HUGE book full of impromptu miracles.
Dan Harlan has a three video set on “Impromptu Magic” that will give you more impromptu magic than you will ever use. Tom Mullica put out an impromptu magic video set also. They are a bit hard to find.
Dig out Stars of Magic. Lots of great impromptu stuff in there. Go on, do what Blaine did, find some stuff that's so old, it's new!

Seriously though, it's one of the best books ever written on the subject. Sadly it is often overlooked though.
I agree that Dan Harlan's video set is an excellent resource.
Ditto on Stars of Magic. This is one of those oldies that if people don't quit talking about it, everyone is going to start doing the stuff again. It has been really great doing some of that old stuff, but between this and the Genii board, all of you are bringing it back up again. Stop, would ya? :winker:
Life Savers by Mike Weber had some cool routines in it.
Simon Lovell's Party Animals and Office Animal Videos.
Rubberband magic is usually a good way to go

There's quite a bit of material that is actually quite good.

matt
I love impromptu magic - it's my speciality!

These 2 books are available from Amazon:

"Self-working Table Magic: 97 Foolproof Tricks with Everyday Objects" - Karl Fulves

"Magic with Everyday Objects: Over 150 Tricks Anyone Can Do at the Dinner Table" - George Schindler

Peace & blessings be upon you.
Speaking of Stars of Magic, Johnny Thompson's set of tapes is almost a review of the book, and he does a great job with these effects. Recommended! :cool:
What a bunch of wonderful sugguestions. I also recommend the on the spot and off the cuff videos. they're great in my opinion.
There's also a lot of very good impromptu stuff in "The Magic Book" by Harry Lorayne.

Its one of my all time favorite books.

Bob
Look for "Out of Thin Air" by Larry Anderson it's a good source too.
'The Magic Book' by Harry Lorayne is a must in this field and the great thing is you can pick up a copy of it really cheap or even rent it from your library.

Another book that is a must have is 'Magic & Showmanship' by Henning Nelms as it'll help you to begin thinking about your magic and how you relate to it.

If you have these two books and you take on board everything that they say you'll be on your way to becoming a great impromptu/close-up performer.

The final ingredient you need is creative imagination, for without this there is no hope for anyone to become anything but a clone.

Take what you will from my advice and may the force be with you.

Socrates

'Imagination is more important than knowledge' - Albert Einstein :die:
Gregory Wilsons Off the Cuff and On the Spot.
The Jay Marshall video Table **** from Stevens has a lot of the material from the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic on it. Even though Jay looks a little uncomfortable, the tape has some great bits and closes with his Jaun Escadero routine and Lefty.

Worth the price just for those bits, frankly.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Daryl's [i]Fooler Doolers[/i] videos: they are not specific about impromptu but have a lot of tricks to do impromptu.
[i]Self-working Table Magic[/i], it´s a very nice book to learn something´s related to impromptu magic.

:nose:
You forgot Tom Mullica has excellent tapes on impromptu magic presented in a comedy style.
Darryl the Wizard :rotf:
Tom Mullica has some great ideas on Improptu magic. check out his videos.
I agree with Socrates. 'The Magic Book' by Harry Lorayne needs to be on the reading listfor every beginner.
Am I the only one that thinks the On The Spot and Off the Cuff videos are no good? Too movey, too contrived. Yikes!
On the spot is good..
and we must not forget about "simply harkey"
While at Boomers in vegas at a meeting a few months ago I sold On the spot to Jeff McBride I told him that he should know everything in it but he still bought it I think he just has a crush on Greg Wilson.