(Close Window)
Topic: Good angle proof trick for party
Hi All,
This is my first time to post a thread, hope some of you can help me out.
I am going to perform in a x'mas party. There would be a lot of people, and I have to hop to each table and surrounded when I perform. I need some angle proof trick, so when I perform, those people who sit next to me won't see all the flashes.
Any recommendation? I am ok with coins or cards, anything~
Professors Nightmare, Wild Card , Cut & Restored Rope , Scotch & Soda , Eight Card Brainwave, Color Monte, Coin Matrix ,
Actually the more I think about this, the list goes on...There are many you can do..
Rennie
Like Rennie says, "There are many you can do."
Just play it close to the chest if need be.

With Christmas just two weeks away, and my not knowing what you know or the resources you have, review the tricks that you already know and consider ways to improve angles with those.

Make sure you position yourself in a good spot before performing.
"Clippo" works extremely well in close-up!

FWIW

Cheers! ;)
Any trick is "angle-proof" with good misdirection :) Seriously though, I'd have to think that the majority of the effects that I do are basically angle-proof. Just off my head I'd give "Sam the Bellhop," a story trick involving the entire deck by Bill Malone.
Find a nice corner, somewhere there isn't furniture. Maybe a wall, with a small table in front of you (assuming you do table stuff). Your back to the corner or wall of course. Otherwise it would be more confusing to the audience. The wall might enjoy it.......
I'd say coin under watch, signed card to wallet, ACR, chop cup (Martin Sanderson) and bill in Kiwi.
Thanks all!
I have been practising magic for a year only, but I should be ok with some basic sleight of hand. If anyone of you can recommend me some good DVD that have a nice routine suitable to perform in a crowded pub, that will be appreciate.
May I know what is Clipper and ACR?
ACR is an abbreviation of the Ambitious Card Routine.

Clippo is a cut and restored with strips of paper.... I guess would best describe it.

Since your new you might find the search feature handy (I do) on the top left under the Café sign. If you don't understand what someone means, look it up, and chances are it has been discussed... everything has been discussed at least once.

Have Fun!

Do you have a magic shop nearby, or, like me, are you bound to the net for purchases?
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Nov 29, 2006 05:39AM)
Some self working card tricks are always a good starter
Thanks again!
I should have guessed what is ACR
In Hong Kong, we can't do ACR anymore, after you show the first back to the top effect, all of them will just say they have seen it many times, and what I am going to do simply make it jump to the top....
Yea, there are so many magic shop nearby, but the culture here maybe slightly different from other countries. They tend to keep asking us to buy props instead of discusiing or recommending tricks to us.

Can you recommend some nice self working tricks?
Invisible deck?
Pro Nightmare, and ID are two great effects for this type of work.
Harry Lorayne's Poker deal from Close-up Card Magic. Great closer, almost self working, easy set up.
The rising deck I find to be the self working trick that gets the best reactions. I also highly recommend the invisible deck. I perform the invisible deck by getting people to call anyone in the world, putting their phone on speaker, and having the person name a card, and remain on the phone while I reveal the face down card so they hear the screams...
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Dec 16, 2006 05:01AM)
I recently met a restaurant magician who is only doing self-working stuff. Guess what, he delievered a great show . . .
Andy , that's really good to hear. It sounds simple yet effective. I like the KISS method.Sometimes doing just self-working stuff with good patter is all you need.
Las Vegas Leaper. It involves a spectator counting 10 cards themself, then sitting on them. The magician also takes ten cards. His ten are reduced to 9, then 8, then 7. The spectator takes her cards again... And she has 13. Totally angle proof unless people can see underneath at the beginning. But that's just silly.
Per a couple of posts above, get an "invisible deck". It's the best "self-working" card miracle available. Also get a matching stripper deck. With these two, you can blow people away.

To get away from cards, buy a Scotch and Soda; also Matchbox penetration is an excellent close-up effect. The are also many different ring flights availabe which play good to this type audience.

Jim
Splash bottle , nice big and visual :D
Box Monster is one great effect for party. Las Vegas Leaper is great too as well as solid deception (if you do this as a closer).
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Dec 16, 2006 10:32PM)
Has anyone ever practiced with a video camera off to the side? I know I always put it head on. I might try that.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Dec 17, 2006 12:06AM)
Robert,

I could not agree more.

KISS'EM = Keep It Simple Sweety - yEt Magical.

Andy
Pen thru dollar gets my vote
I agree with Gordon (GWSchott).

Also - Cut and Restored Rope, Crazy Man's Handcuffs, Recap, ACR.

Cheers

Chris