(Close Window)
Topic: All American Escapes
Hi everyone

I am working on an idea right now that is based on real life escapes attempted in in America. I wonder if anyone can think of any that might be useful. They need to be real life (I.E., not performed by an EA). So Prison breaks, escapes from officers and bounty hunters, criminals freeing themselves from cuffs, hostages escaping their capters, or anything else at all where someone escaped from a real situation.

They need to have either happend in America, or been performied by an American.

Cheers

David
Billy the kid - handcuff escape is the obvious one that comes to mind.

There is also the old story of the hi-jacked airplane (I think it was in the 70's or 80's) they made a movie about it. The passengers overpowered the hi-jackers and hanged them in the plane.

Richard Feynman (read the book "surely you're joking mr. feynman") although he was a nobel prize winning physist, used to open safes using science skills instead of keys, combinations, or magic.

Good luck with your effect.
Why not the famous Escape from Alcatraz? Well, we assume that it was a successful escape. Did they ever find positive proof that the guys actually escaped and survived? I heard that at least one of the guys was "spotted in the area" of searching, but no one was ever found/recaptured or anything definitive about a successful escape.

Margarette
Remember my post "real life escapes" ... ?

No one replied...
Does it need to be an escape from a thrid party or can it be escaping from certain death?
Not exactly an escape, but it's hard to find a more colorful American mystery than the case of D.B. Cooper:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/scams/DB_Cooper/index.html

Yours,

Paul
More on D.B. Cooper:

James Johnson, one of the "copycats," who might actually have been "D.B. Cooper," escaped from jail after a similar hijacking and was shot dead by law enforcement officers in November 1974.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/scams/DB_Cooper/9.html

Yours,

Paul
Al Capone was alledged to have tied men to chairs with barbed wire and ebat them with base ball bats then they were left to die. Could make a fun story.
[quote]
On 2006-12-07 21:16, Scott Xavier wrote:
Al Capone was alledged to have tied men to chairs with barbed wire and ebat them with base ball bats then they were left to die. Could make a fun story.
[/quote]

That is interesting. I never heard mention of this. I own the knife, purchased from Gallucio's grandson, and the hairclippers because they never went to the barbershop in N.Y.C. and Frank (Vito) Nitti's prison cards along with a few other items. I would have to say that if you heard something like this it is probably true, based on other stories that came up in journals and diaries. It was a pretty tough crowd.

That would have been a gig that broke a sweat before you ever reached the mic.