(Close Window)
Topic: Conjunction - linking business card
Just saw this on Youtube. It sounds impossible! Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2NbcJgS7Nw
Hmm what a beautiful linking card trick
Wow, he has the second fastest hands in the world - after this girl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX8rshfCF2w

The link looks good by the way. Interested to hear more.
I remember watching this a while back. I thought it was going to be released by mid-November. Hopefully it will be out before the holidays.
I got an advanced copy at mindvention
It rocks.
Beyond brilliant, The cards are genuinely linked, no gaffs, and it can be their card.
There is a small preperation, but it can be done right in front of them.
Only drawback, it takes a couple of minutes to tear the thing up.
I'm having a little success by using small scissors to speed things up.
I love it, and, I don't know Joshua Quinn, although I sent him an e-mail to tell him how much I liked this.
Pat
If the claims are true this is the best 'impossible giveaway' I have ever seen. Kudos to Joshua!

Cheers,
Al
Yes, the claims are true :)
I don't understand why there is not more excitment over this !

I personnaly like to create a very neat impossible object with no performance, and then just show it :) It is already a real mystery since there are no cut and glue.

Nicolas
I am all over this effect! Anyone know about a release date?
Wow, I'm away from the Café for a couple days, and look what happens... ;)

Yes, I had hoped for a November release, but other professional obligations forced me to push the release back another month. At any rate, I've just received word that the manuscripts are done and will be shipped to me tomorrow. As soon as I get them I'll put up the ordering page and start taking orders. When that happens I'll post a notice in this thread, though due to the holiday madness, I probably won't start making loud promotional noises about it until after the first of the year.

Pat said, "The cards are genuinely linked, no gaffs, and it can be their card." In the interest of not misleading anyone, I would amend the last part to read, "it can [i]sometimes[/i] be their card." I wouldn't want people to think it can be done with [i]any[/i] card, because that's not the case. However, the "genuinely linked, no gaffs" part is completely true (as is the "It rocks. Beyond brilliant" part, of course). Glad you liked it, Pat!

Thanks to everyone for the interest. More news as it develops...
I've had an add page for this bookmarked for some time now.

I can not wait. Any idea what the price range will be?

Thanks
Glenn
I recently received an advanced copy of Conjunction, and well...

***!

This really IS beyond brilliant! The excitement I felt after I made my first one was really something rare.

Yes, they (the rings) are REALLY linked, and examinable. There are NO gimmicks, gaffs, or otherwise. There IS a tiny bit of prep work, but it really can be done right in front of the audience. It can be done with 'almost' any card. There are limitations to the card that can be used, but the limitations are minor; the vast majority of cards you will run into will be sufficient.

There is a couple of minor drawbacks to Conjunction, but they truly are minor.

The first is the time it takes to make one. The first one I made unassisted (no scissors) took me 15 minutes! Of course, with practice, one can get this time down to around a minute to a minute and a half. I am currently at the 5 minute mark, so I have some more practice to go.

The second drawback is the lack of a definitive magic 'moment'. Whereas most linking cards are a penetration, this effect as it were, is more of the real time creation of an impossible bottle. The only ****ogy I can think of at the moment is that of making an Eng Bottle real time, with the audience none the wiser as to how. Not exactly magic, but REALLY cool, and REALLY wierd.

I am truly impressed with Mr. Quinn's ability to think outside the box; he really has brought something special to the table with this one.

DO NOT MISS THIS WHEN IT BECOMES AVAILABLE.

Sean Fields
Hi Quinn,

As BRILLIANT as this is, I was seriously challenged, so my sister and I got working on this idea. And SHE figured it out first!!

I have to say that I WILL buy this when it comes out, just because I would have NEVER thought of such a great idea.

After my sister showed me the secret, I figured out the way that you do it. Her geometry was different from yours (and maybe easier to cut) but the idea is the same.

I have a full routine for this effect. It will really BLOW people away while at the same time leaving the audience with an impossible object which happens to be your business card that they can keep.

Here is the routine:

The magician removes 2 frames of his business card from his pocket. 2 solid rings made of card board about the size of a business card.

"I would like to finish my performance with a little miracle with my business card"

"Could you please sign one of these frames, since I am going to leave it with you, I think it should be personalized with your name on it."

The spec signs one of the frames. The magi takes the other frame folds it into a small square and rubs it against the signed frame.

"Solid through solid . . . WATCH" When the magician unfolds the unsigned frame it is discovered to be LINKED with the signed frame.

"I want you to have this . . . Make sure that there are no openings ANYWHERE on these cards."

The specs examine the frames as much as they like but they can find NO openings.

As much as I would love to do the folds and the tears in front of the specs, I think that in a professional situation, the above routine would be faster and still leave the audience with a great trick and an IMPOSSIBLE SOUVENIR!! It will also allow the magician to prepare the linked cards in advance hence insuring the quality of the giveaway.

Based on this method, I recommend that the magician have a special set of business cards made, that have his name and contact info going around the frame (Once you get the secret you'll understand what I mean). This way ALL of your important contact information is not going to be torn away or torn through.

Quinn, I can't thank you enough for coming up with such a great idea. This is a SERIOUS reputation maker.

I anxiously await the release of Conjunction,
Greg Rostami
Glenn, I'm not sure what the Café rules are regarding me mentioning prices, and I don't want to step on any toes. So for now suffice it to day it will cost more than the average packet trick, less than the average DVD, and WAY less than the average self-levitation.

Sean, many thanks for the kind words. I sent a copy to Sean because I was a fan of his linking cards and his work in general. It's great to get such positive feedback from a guy like him.

Greg, you rapscallion, it seems that some of you slo-mo detectives are too slick to be foiled even by my sped-up video! Darn you and your sister too! But seriously, I'm thrilled that you've already found a way to personalize it. I mention in the manuscript that people have asked me about using the principle in a more "traditional" linking card routine (where the rings start out separate and then link together), and that if someone is inclined to work out a practical way to do it, they should go for it. I am not that someone, as I find the effect more interesting as it is. But if you've made it work for you, then go on with yer bad self.

By all accounts I should receive the manuscripts this coming Wednesday. However, I've seen so many pre-order debacles go down here that I'm not going to start taking orders until I actually have the booklets in my hands and ready to ship. But barring any unforseen eleventh-hour disasters ("What do you mean you didn't want them printed on dark blue paper with black ink?"), that should be very soon.
UPDATE: Since this thread started I've been getting quite a few PMs and emails asking similar questions. So to help clarify some of these matters for everyone at once, I present...

[b]THE CONJUNCTION FAQ[/b]

[b][i]Can I do it with my current business card?[/b][/i]
The answer to that question -- and I wish I had a better one -- is "maybe." And since I'm well aware of how frustrating that answer is, here is the most detailed elaboration I can give you without giving too much away. Once you learn how the link is done, you'll be able to do it with any card. However, in order to prevent people from being able to tell how you did it, the card you use will have to meet certain requirements, the details of which I can't disclose. If your current card meets those requirements, then you'll be able to make a deceptive set of linked rings from it; if it doesn't, you won't. Note, however, that even if you can, that doesn't guarantee that you'll be able to finish with your contact info still intact on the linked rings. In order to make that happen, there's a very good chance you will need new cards. However, the manuscript outlines a number of alternatives for people who don't want to change their current business card.

[b][i]Can I do it with a borrowed business card?[/b][/i]
Again, it depends on the card; some of them will work, some won't.

[b][i]Can I do it with a playing card?[/b][/i]
Finally, a question with a definite answer! And that answer is, no.

[b][i]How long does it take in real time?[/b][/i]
Once you get good at it, about two minutes. And yes, that is a long time for people to watch you fold and tear paper. I discuss various approaches to covering this in the manuscript.

[b][i]What's the difficulty level?[/b][/i]
It will require a good deal of practice, but not the same kind of practice required for difficult sleight of hand; it's more akin to learning to make an origami bird, or make a Jacob's Ladder out of a loop of string. If you've ever mastered something like that, you'll have no problem with this.

[b][i]Can I do it with a larger piece of paper in a stage setting?[/b][/i]
It's theoretically possible, but wholly impractical.

[b][i]How impromptu is it?[/b][/i]
You have to have a suitable business card, but that really is all that's required. If that fits your personal definition of impromptu, then it's impromptu; if it doesn't, then it's not.

[b][i]What comes with the effect?[/b][/i]
A 48-page, 8.5x11", staple-bound, photo illustrated, clearly written, professionally proofread, typographically pleasing manuscript, plus a few blank business cards to practice with.

[b][i]Why did you release it as a booklet rather than a DVD?[/b][/i]
Because I'm an intellectual elitist who spits on the bourgeoisie and their sluggardly desire to have everything spoon-fed directly into what's left of their atrophied brains through a CRT screen. And also because the nature of the effect makes it easier to learn from still pictures (which you can stare at for as long as you need to), than from a DVD (which you would have to keep pausing and rewinding). But mainly it was the first reason.
The demo looks GREAT!,,,

Does this mean that SOLID really can go through SOLID?

Has this principal never been discovered until now?

Well good luck with this Quinn.

Looks like this is gonna be a big seller in 2007!
[quote]
On 2006-12-15 22:59, MagicMan1957 wrote:
Does this mean that SOLID really can go through SOLID?

Has this principal never been discovered until now?[/quote]

A paraphrase from the manuscript...

Any topologist, origami expert, or high school geometry teacher will tell you that tearing two unbroken, interlinked rings from a single piece of paper is physically impossible, and has been known to be so for centuries. Yet that is exactly what I'll teach you to do, using a process that requires no circumvention of natural laws, but merely a slightly different way of looking at things -- one which has evidently eluded centuries' worth of topologists, origami experts, and high school geometry teachers...
Oh my goodness...I LOVE THIS!!!

Congratulations Joshua. Like Greg, I was able to work out a way to do it after watching your inspiring video. However, I'm eager to read your booklet to learn the real work.

Greg is right about it being adaptable to magic. That's not to say I wouldn't just present it as a paper-tear giveaway. In some situations, it'll probably be a wonderful alternative to origami or the good ol' 260Q's.

On a historical note, with regard to the idea of making paper chains from single pieces of cardboard, it has been done, but not as wonderfully as yours. There's a clever little item called "The Card Chain Puzzle" that was published in George Arnold's 1858 book [i]The Sociable: Or 1001 Home Amusements[/i]. He doesn't say who originated the idea, but he explains how to cut a single large piece of cardboard to form a seven-link chain. Every link is solid with no gluing or taping. If you don't already have this book, and if it's okay with you, I'll be happy to forward you a copy of the relevant pages as a 56 kb png file. PM me if you're interested.
Make me think of "Mobius Strip"

Properties
The Möbius strip has several curious properties.

A Möbius strip can be made by joining the ends of a strip of paper with a half-twist. A line drawn starting from the seam down the middle will meet back at the seam but at the "other side". If continued the line will meet the starting point and will double the length of the original strip of paper. This single contiguous curve demonstrates that the Möbius strip has only one boundary.

If the strip is cut along the above line, instead of getting two separate strips, it becomes one long strip with two half-twists in it (not a Möbius strip). This happens because the original strip only has one edge which is twice as long as the original strip of paper. Cutting creates a second independent edge, half of which was on each side of the knife or scissors. Cutting this new, longer strip down the middle creates two strips wound around each other.

that's what I learned from my caculus class.:)
It's not a Möbius strip, but you could probably talk about one as part of your presentation. Most laymen are familiar with Möbius strips, so it'll be doubly impressive when they look at the rings only to find that they don't fit that explanation.
Funny you should mention the Möbius strip. I've occasionally presented this idea as a challenge to engineers, mathematicians, and the like: "Is it possible to take this business card and tear it into two unbroken, interlinked frames, with no joins, seams, or tears?" Almost without fail, their first move has been to try to twist the card around and turn it into a Möbius strip. I smile as I watch them struggle with this for a moment, then I point out that even if they could do that, they'd have to somehow join the two ends together, which would be a seam, whch is against the rules. That's generally when the smug, "there's no way you're gonna get me" look disappears from their face, and they start dealing with the harsh reality that they might have to buy me that drink after all.

One of my happiest moments with this effect was when I performed it for Dr. Murray Gell-Man, the physicist who won the Nobel Prize for discovering the quark. It wasn't a bar bet with him; I just said I enjoyed his lecture, and I had something interesting that I'd like to give him. When I handed him the rings, he looked at them silently and turned them over in his hands a few times, then finally said, "That's incredible. I don't see how that's possible." That was the moment I knew I had a winner.
Hey Quinn, if it is what I think it is (sorry, just so facinating I couldn't stop thinking about it, but I just have a possible principle not the real workings which I will get once I purchase the script ;) ) then I believe it actually COULD be done with a playing card, you would just have to be very meticulous with, um, the edges of your tears.

I don't think that says too much there does it?
How do you all compare this to Andrew Mayne's Hypercard...no comparison?
No comparison, completely different I would say IMO
How does this differ from sixten beme's on card link ?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Dec 16, 2006 02:19PM)
Beme's is incredible, but is a gaffed card and needs to be set up way before hand. Hypercard is great, and is another incredible piece of thinking. This looks great, just looks a little fussy as a business card is so thin. In my opinion I am still looking for the 'perfect' pasteboard link
Quinn,
Looks like another purchase is in my future!

Seriously great work! This looks amazing.

Christopher, I think this is as good as it gets. Obviously I do not yet have the manuscript, but my hell; what more could you really want? If it can stump the man who discovered the quark, just imagine the possibilities. A true thinking piece. What a give away!

Peace,
Jerome.
GDW, you haven't said too much, because frankly, I can't even tell what you're talking about. ;) Whatever you're thinking may be different than what I've come up with, so run with it.

MagicBrent, I have Hyper Cards (not to be confused with Hypercard, which is something else entirely), and apart from the basic theme of pieces of cardboard linking together, they're nothing alike.

MacGyver, ditto with Beme's link. It's a beauty, and I've done it, but man is it a pain. Also, Beme's link is touted as "examinable," but unless your craftsmanship is really superb, a thorough examination by a spec would probably reveal something it shouldn't. In comparison, I gave a set of Conjunction rings to a good friend of mine, a game designer and lateral-thinking puzzle enthusiast who's incredibly smart, an-alytical (wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to wrongly hyphenate that?), creative, competitive, and absolutely hates to be fooled by magic tricks, with the explicit challenge to see if he could figure out how I made them. I'm sad to report that he eventually did, but I'm happy to say it took him two solid weeks of daily effort. Since I'm reasonably sure that's more brain power than 99.999% of laymen would be willing to expend, I'm quite comfortable in calling the rings "completely examinable."

Christopher, you're right, Conjunction is not the "perfect" pasteboard link, if there could even be such a thing. In fact, I close the manuscript with a little rant about my disdain for magic effects that call themselves "perfect," "the ultimate," etc. At best, I hope people find this to be a useful and enjoyable thing to do, and that it inspires others to use the principles in ways I never thought of.

Jerome, thanks!
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Dec 17, 2006 04:10AM)
Jerome, I understand and agree with you. Yes, this looks great and I will get it, I was just pointing out there will always be new ideas etc to be added or perfected or changed, so I will always still be looking for that one better than the last effect
If you can give this away and have it say "See me do this live for you" around the ring, then have your contact information, I have to say it IS the ultimate,perfect magic topology trick.

Ascension is genius, I know this will be too.
James
Quinn:Can Conjunction be done with a let's say... a blank index card?

Best.

Rich
[quote]
On 2006-12-17 05:27, Xiqual wrote:
If you can give this away and have it say "See me do this live for you" around the ring...[/quote]

Ooh, that's nice. That's [i]very[/i] nice. That's nice enough that if I do a second printing, I may ask you if I can include it.

And yes, by the way, you can do that.

[quote]
On 2006-12-17 05:27, PaleoMagi wrote:
Can Conjunction be done with a let's say... a blank index card?[/quote]

I haven't tried it, but my guess would be probably not. There [i]may[/i] be a way that would involve... well, something I'm not going to talk about here. ;) But if you get it and you're interested in pursuing that angle, let's talk.

[[i]Edited to add:[/i] Now that I think about it, I do believe I've seen some index cards that might work. Dang it, now you've given me something else to think about...]

And Christopher... my thoughts exactly.
Quinn, when and where can we ORDEr this???? Price?
[quote]
On 2006-12-17 11:45, leapinglizards wrote:
Quinn, when and where can we ORDEr this???? Price?
[/quote]

I've updated my signature line to help answer those questions.
In keeping with the spirit of this being a review thread, here is the very first review Conjunction ever received:

"It is sadly by no means uncommon for the wonderful inventions of magic's few genuinely creative minds, who refresh the very life blood of magic with their benign infusions of authentic creative genius, to be copied, pirated, trashed and ruined by inferior souls who, lacking all trace of either creative potency or moral scruples, see fit to rip off their work and present it as their own. Common though this may be, failed pub pianist Joshua Quinn has managed to plumb new depths with this, his latest half-baked re-hash of someone else's work. Raising his middle digit towards the very concept of intellectual property rights, and with seemingly feckless disregard for common decency, Quinn has taken the beauty, elegance and gob-smacking, globally respected brilliance of Ian Rowland's 'FLink' concept, as originally published in 1998 on Rowland's widely praised and witty website, and managed to reduce it to some dreary, yawn-inducing party trick in which you shred a business card to pieces for no reason. If your idea of a good time is to stand around all day boring people to tears while you fumble with their business card and make a mess on the carpet, and at the same time support wanton piracy within the magic community, then this is for you."

–-Ian Rowland

I still feel all warm and fuzzy inside every time I read that...
All right, due to the large number of PMs I've received in the short time since my last post, I feel I should clarify something before it gets out of hand: Ian's "review" was meant in jest. I had hoped that this would be obvious, but apparently I'm still a little slow with the whole "sarcasm not always translating over the internet" thing. (As someone who's been using email since the 80's, I realize I really should have worked that out by now, but hey, maybe the part of the brain that most people use to distill that information is the part that mine uses to figure out how to link bits of cardboard together.)

I consider myself fortunate to count Ian among my friends, and since it was his work that provided the inspiration for Conjunction, I asked if he would write a foreword for the booklet. He immediately replied, "Sure, here you go," and fired back the above missive in his typical wry fashion. Then once he actually read the manuscript, he kindly supplied the much more complimentary foreword that appears in the book. And I made it clear that while I very much appreciated the proper foreword, I still had every intention of plastering the initial one around as far and wide as I could, simply because I iked it so much.

The perverse side of me almost wanted to just sit back and enjoy the shocked reactions of people who thought it was genuine, but then the side of me that doesn't want to make people think badly of my friends won out.

(Actually, the perverse side only conceded defeat because it realized it has better ways of subtly torturing Ian, but that's another matter...)
I don't know . . . I thought anything "half baked" was usually pretty good:)

I like Ian's work; though I admit to finding his initial reply a bit odd myself.
Thanks for the clarification.

Peace,

j.
[quote]
On 2006-12-17 11:19, Quinn wrote:
if I do a second printing
[/quote]

Joshua,

You certainly ought to do a second edition, since there's so much hidden potential in this thing. I'm working on a few ideas myself, and as they begin to take shape into usable form, I'll pass them on to you for possible inclusion in a second edition.

Some might ignore this product because of all the time consuming ripping, folding, practice, and other details I won't get into here. That would be a mistake.
[quote]
On 2006-12-17 15:28, Quinn wrote:

(Actually, the perverse side only conceded defeat because it realized it has better ways of subtly torturing Ian, but that's another matter...)
[/quote]

Could I please know more of the perverse ways of subtly torturing Ian?

And put me down as a firm order. I REALLY want to do this!

Lynne
[quote]
On 2006-12-17 11:19, Quinn wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-12-17 05:27, Xiqual wrote:
If you can give this away and have it say "See me do this live for you" around the ring...[/quote]

Ooh, that's nice. That's [i]very[/i] nice. That's nice enough that if I do a second printing, I may ask you if I can include it.

And yes, by the way, you can do that.

[/quote]

Please include it in the second edition with my compliments!!
I am chomping at the bit for this already.
Thanks Joshua,
James
I'm pleased to announce that Santa and his reindeer-drawn FedEx truck arrived a bit earlier than expected, so Conjunction is now officially released and ready for purchase [url=http://www.mentallyimpossible.com/conjunction]here[/url].
Hi Quinn good luck on this one. It sounds very promising.

I liked the idea brought up here in this thread about printing something around one of the rings. I would write something long the lines:

Ask me to amaze you!! ----- This is impossible

It should go all the way around the card. Any more ideas? I like this idea of the writing.
Thanks Niva. The booklet contains a section dealing with various options for what can be on the card -- where the text can be placed, and what it might say. Of course I encourage everyone to come up with ideas of their own.
In celebration of its release, I'd like to put on a little contest for a free copy of Conjunction. If you're interested, read on...

The [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2NbcJgS7Nw]video trailer[/url] contains an element of subliminal content; something I did purposely to make people think about it longer than they otherwise would (because that's the kind of dastardly, underhanded, evil marketing genius I am). The thing is, I didn't intend for it to be subliminal. Subtle, yes, but not subliminal. However, based on the fact that I expected people here to notice and mention it, and so far no one has; and even friends who I expected to spot it immediately didn't do so until I pointed it out to them, and said they never would have otherwise; based on all that, it would appear that this particular element is, in fact, below the immediate conscious radar. (Of course I'm deliberately ignoring the distinct possibility that everyone apart from my halfwit friends finds it perfectly obvious, but simply not clever enough to warrant comment...)

So here's the object: be the first one to correctly identify the subliminal content I'm talking about, and win a free copy of Conjunction. There is exactly one rule (unless I think up more later): [b]DON'T[/b] email or PM me your guesses. Post them here in this thread. I'll be checking back frequently, and will shower the winner with effusive praise for their extreme mental acuity.

Ready... go!
I'm not sure, but I think after the first couple of tears, the video rewinds and then starts over again from the first tear.
Sorry, but no. Thanks for playing.
Your watch changes on your wrist.
Nope...
Ok, so I bellieve it is so subtle I would be probably guessing. I´ve seen a lot of times and this is what I think.

When you wrote :“That´s what they WANT you to think“ we don´t know who, and WANT in caps makes a suggestion. However, what I noticed the most, and I think it is in fact what you want us to spot, although I don´t understand, is at the end of the video, when your site is announced, the black background starts changing and looks like a bad signal thing. Like The Ring or something like that.

Was I even close?

Pablo
You randomly show your hands empty without cause?
Impossilbe is not what THEY want us to think - but rather what YOU want us to think
Quinn,

You show the finished linked pieces upfront before going into any of the tearing.

-Feral
No one's got it yet...
Quinn,
I have been thinking about it, and the only thing that really comes to mind is a slight discrepancy. This is what I am wondering about . . . it seems the inner frame is almost the exact same size as the outer frame it is conjoined with. Of course; it should be quite a bit smaller (or am I crazy?) from being ripped out of its center.

We all know the CENTER of me should not be as large as the WHOLE of me. Does this have anything to do with it?

Anyhow as I've told you before; tremendous work! You know I'm getting this either way . . . cannot wait!

Peace,
Jerome.
Quinn,

The finished linked pieces are opened/revealed and the writing appears exactly in the same position as when the untorn card is displayed. That could be subliminal but probably just insignificant.

-Feral
There is an obvious cut in the video half way through the tearing process (as if you switched cards or something)
Still no correct guesses, although the things people are noticing is making for a fascinating study in and of itself. (For example, there is no edit in the tearing process; it's a single, continuous take from start to finish, I promise.) Keep at it...
Is it just that you have very healthy nails? Or are you wearing pink nail polish...to perhaps subliminally send a message..."hey chicks will really enjoy me performing this?" :)

Rich
Quinn, where in the USA are you shipping this from?
Shouldn't one of the rings have 4 ripped sides? I may be wrong, but it looks like each ring has a sharp side...
No one's got it yet. Rich, those are my natural healthy nails, thanks for noticing. MagicMan, I'm shipping from New Orleans.
Alright, let me take a stab here. What I noticed right off the bat is that the rings ARE the same size, if they were truly torn rings from the same card, assuming one is the outer and one the inner, they could not be the same size. The printing should only be on one ring (outer) if that is the case. Also wouldn't one ring have a sharp edge all the way around? Each ring has one long sharp edge.

Maybe I am way off base, but that stood out to me immediately.
Nope, that's not it.

Here's a hint: it's not visual.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Dec 20, 2006 03:20PM)
I think most of you are not quite understanding what Quinn has done. A subliminal content is below the threshold of conscious perception. This means it is not going to be something you can literally just see. Like the two rings being the same size. Fact is, they aren't. It might just look like it on camera. A subliminal message is hidden. You don't know you see it, but you can.
In old cinema times, for those of you who have seen old films, where the picture flickers...there used to be subliminal messages put up so people would feel hungry or thirsty, making them hungry and spend money at the cinema. They didn't realise the message, it just hit them. It wasn't like 'BUY A HOT DOG NOW' type of message, it wasn't there for them to see, it was there for them to notice, without knowing they noticed it. That is what Quinn seems to have done here. It is very clever.
I also like the touch at the end where the writing flickers, as if it was at the old cinema times. Good thinking Quinn!!!
Hummmmmmm... let's guess... I will allow the imagination flow... :)

My guess is:

The (sound)music is related somehow with sex!!!!!!!!!

That's it!

Regards,

Mesquita
[quote]
On 2006-12-20 16:20, Christopher Williams wrote:
I think most of you are not quite understanding what Quinn has done. A subliminal content is below the threshold of conscious perception. This means it is not going to be something you can literally just see. Like the two rings being the same size. Fact is, they aren't. It might just look like it on camera. A subliminal message is hidden. You don't know you see it, but you can.
In old cinema times, for those of you who have seen old films, where the picture flickers...there used to be subliminal messages put up so people would feel hungry or thirsty, making them hungry and spend money at the cinema. They didn't realise the message, it just hit them. It wasn't like 'BUY A HOT DOG NOW' type of message, it wasn't there for them to see, it was there for them to notice, without knowing they noticed it. That is what Quinn seems to have done here. It is very clever.
I also like the touch at the end where the writing flickers, as if it was at the old cinema times. Good thinking Quinn!!!
[/quote]

Of Course.However,subliminal clues can also be right smack dab in front of you too,it's just that the conscious mind misses it,while the sub conscious 'records' it.

Rich
[quote]
On 2006-12-20 16:28, Mesquita wrote:
The (sound)music is related somehow with sex!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Beyond the fact that it was performed and recorded by such a sexy individual... no.
[quote]
On 2006-12-20 16:36, Quinn wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-12-20 16:28, Mesquita wrote:
The (sound)music is related somehow with sex!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Beyond the fact that it was performed and recorded by such a sexy individual... no.
[/quote]

Hahahahahaha!
I will try again:

The repeated "beats" ( is this the word? ) of the music make us remember the video more then we want want to think....
Are you lying on your back?
That's funny
Mesquita, you're getting warmer.

PaleoMagi, this is NOT that kind of web site, and those sorts of questions will not be tolerated. You have been warned.
The piano sound is repeated again and again and backward...

Is this?
Is it the fact that the music strats halfway the movie? It changes halfway from silent to music and kinda make you want to watch the rest.

:/
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Dec 20, 2006 04:01PM)
Is the title of the song you are playing in the background called 'Conjunction', or the composer has something to do with the word, perhaps part of their name? Or maybe the album the song is on is called 'Conjunction'?
Or maybe it is Conjunction music? The song has something to do with the word Conjunction, whether it is part of the song title, or the meaning of the word
Oh I know (I think lol)!!

Is it the first beats?? The song starts with about four beats sort of to get your attention. Is this it?
It's your hands..but you are standing behind someone who is playing the drums... :)
My guess:

"~Conjunction junction, what's your function~" (from Schoolhouse Rock).

Melody here:

http://www.school-house-rock.com/wav/conjunction.au

One part of the song is:

"Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up two boxcars and making 'em run right."

The song deals with:

"Hooking up words and phrases and clauses."

Similar to linkin' up the two rings from the card.

The song is jazzy and cool...and the effect looks jazzy and cool too!

:)
[quote]
On 2006-12-20 17:13, illusiOHN wrote:
My guess:

"~Conjunction junction, what's your function~" (from Schoolhouse Rock).

Melody here:

http://www.school-house-rock.com/wav/conjunction.au

One part of the song is:

"Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up two boxcars and making 'em run right."

The song deals with:

"Hooking up words and phrases and clauses."

Similar to linkin' up the two rings from the card.

[/quote]

Good guess! If this is the correct answer, it would be impossible to me to discover.
But the song has no words. ????
I don't know this music but maybe is the melody...
You composed and played the background music... :) ..
Torn edges... smooth edges... wierd.
Yes, the song in the video clip has no words...BUT, the song seems to be a jazzed up version of "Conjunction Junction" from Schoolhouse Rock.

Here's a link to all of the words if you are remembering them from old times, lol:

http://www.schoolhouserock.tv/Conjunction.html

I thought I was clever when I realized the song was Conjunction...But I see Im not the only one who got it. that's gotta be it...

James
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

IllusiOHN spotted the auditory reference. The background music is not identical, but very close (just different enough to avoid copyright infringement ;) ) to "Conjunction Junction" -- a song which tends to become instantly and stubbornly stuck in the head of anyone who thinks about it (provided they grew up with it, which admittedly gives a strong advantage to Americans of a certain age range). The idea was to suggest that song (and thereby get it stuck in people's heads) without making it blatantly obvious. It was Café member Neil Tobin who unwittingly gave me the idea with his post in [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=173079&forum=82]this thread[/url].

IllusiOHN, PM me your mailing address and I'll get a copy in the mail to you. Everyone else, thanks for playing!

Oh, and Joseph... "composed" is a strong word, since all I really did was alter a few notes of an already existing song. But yes, I arranged and performed the music.
WOW...thanks Quinn! I feel lucky to have won!!!

I look forward to receiving it!

The only problem is that it worked...I can't get the song out of my head now, lol!

Once I realized it seemed to be a jazzed up version of Conjunction Junction, found a link to a musical sample of the song, etc., I thought that had to be it. I told my wife about it and asked her if she remembered the song as I started singing it. She joined in! Both of us have it stuck in our head now, lol! :)

Nice choice of music, Quinn.

Thanks in advance...pm on the way. :)
Man, now that I hear it, I definitely can identify it. But it is subtle. Nice job.
I think I could win a free copy due to the fact that I were the first one to got warmer... :bigsmile:

And congratulations illusiOHN !!

Regards,

Mesquita
Thanks, Mesquita!

You sure were coming up with some great possibilities, as well as some fun guesses!
I would never have guessed that lol. I will get this for sure. This is a topological effect and will sit there amongst Card Warp, Trapdoor Card etc...
Will this ever be available in pdf format?
I've had trouble with post going missing sent from the States :(
There are currently no plans for an electronic release.
I've had trouble with my intellectual property going missing over P2P networks. :(
Was the demo in real time or fast forwarded a little....i have to remember this was performed by the originator so he's well versed. with that in mind, would you perform that in front of the person, or just get their card and give it back to them after disappearing in the bathroom for a couple of minutes? thanks.
The demo was sped up -- my hands aren't [i]quite[/i] that fast. ;) In real time it takes about two minutes to do the tear once you get good at it; it will take longer at first, of course. You can do the whole thing in front of a spec, or disappear and come back with the card linked, whichever you prefer.
A few more questions on this....

Can the whole thing be done with scissors?....No tearing

Can you make two links from different cards and then link them?

Quinn, the first time you actually tore the card and ended up with the perfect links did you surprise yourself or were you sure it would work from the start?
Woah. This looks amazing! Good on you for coming up with this...I would never have thought that was possible.

I'm going to pick up a copy A.S.A.P.

Nick
[quote]
On 2006-12-21 17:37, MagicMan1957 wrote:
Can the whole thing be done with scissors?....No tearing?[/quote]

No, the card has to be torn by hand. You could theoretically do part of it with scissors, but then you'd be tearing part of it and cutting part of it, and that would just be silly.

[quote]Can you make two links from different cards and then link them?[/quote]

I won't categorically say no, because I have done it -- [i]once[/i]. But it was a special occasion, and it required extra handling and a LOT of advance work; the preparation made Beme's one-card link seem nearly impromptu by comparison. If you get the effect expecting to be able to do that on a regular basis, you'll be disappointed.

[quote]Quinn, the first time you actually tore the card and ended up with the perfect links did you surprise yourself or were you sure it would work from the start?[/quote]

The effect went through a lot of incarnations, many of which were pretty ugly in retrospect. I knew the basic process worked, so "surprised" isn't really the right word. But the first time I did it from scratch, starting with a completely unprepared card and tearing it, by hand, into two linked rings whose method of linkage was truly indetectable... that was a really good day. :)

And Nick, thanks buddy!
Just to let everyone know, all outstanding orders have been shipped, so if you've got one coming it will be there as fast as the postal service can get it to you. Granted, that may not be all that fast this time of year, but at least know that they're on their way.

Once people start receiving it and have had time to work through it, please take a moment to drop in here and let us know what you think. 'Cause I mean, what else could anyone possibly have to do in late December?
Anyone actually have this yet ?
I got it today!

Very pleased with the manuscript, and will give a complete review in a few days, but as I sat doing readings tonight, in between I followed along and tore a set of these in a few minutes... Pretty cool stuff!
I just received mine last night. (Fast shipping BTW- thanks!)
Let me just say this is fantastic. The instructions are VERY thorough and well written. The photos are great and easy to learn from. I was able to learn this in about 1 hour and by the end of that hour I had made 2 sets of cards. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in topological puzzles and/or origami. I am already brainstorming on how to present this... can't wait to get it down quick.

Also for those of you that might learn this and wonder how they might present it... consider this: I have seen Joel Bauer mesmerize a room full of people while folding a bunny bill, which takes considerably longer to create than conjunction. With enough practice and a well written script, I think this could be a piece of theater that will set one apart from every other magician/mentalist out there.

Thanks Joshua

best
shawn
This is absolutely brilliant! Highly recommended!

Cody S. Fisher
I'm looking forward to this.Mentalists are going to hate me but...this does look
like a great card if you perform the Chinese linking rings!
Re Joel Bauer....I think it would be fairer to say that Joel Bauer could mesmerize a room full of people by just reading out a phone book !
And Mr. Fisher, your Fifty-two thoughts is also BRILLIANT! Sorry had to say this. I just love this effect.
I received mine today along with Ascension (Joshua, I sent you the owed $$$).

Both effects are top notch; I can't speak higher about them. Conjunction is a special treat. Highly recommended!!!

j.
Got my manuscript this morning (real fast - and I'm in the UK!). One word. GENIUS.

I think it was Mr Field that said it earlier in the thread; when you've made up your first link - wow - what a feeling. It just looks surreal!

Very well written manuscript, lots of photos, lots of ideas, genius effect.

Bravo sir!

- Paulie.
I also received my manuscript today (as the subliminal contest winner :) ).

Thanks again, Quinn!

My one word for Conjunction so far: Brilliant!

The manuscript is very professional...it surpasses most manuscripts or videos that I've purchased by a mile. While sometimes it seems odd to me that people rate the quality of a manuscript or DVD, I was VERY impressed by the Conjunction manuscript: it is VERY well done and sets an example of how they should all be done. The effect is well explained and very polished.

Quinn has a talent for writing. He captures your attention and keeps things interesting and fun.

The steps are clear and well photographed. Quinn takes you through the steps as if he is talking directly to you and makes learning interesting. He takes a good instructional approach, starting with the basics and allowing you to learn while doing.

You've seen what can be done with this effect on the demo video and read the description. You can do what Quinn says you can do.

I have company on the way, so I won't get to keep practicing tonight, but I wanted to give some well-deserved positive feedback. I hope to be able to provide a better review after time to practice and perform it.

So far, I'm impressed!

Thanks for sharing this effect, Quinn.
I've been working with this since it arrived. It is brilliant, isn't it?

I created a perfect link my first time. Take the extra time in the beginning (Quinn warns us:) and go through it proper. It is worth the extra time learning!

It really is just ONE card, nothing added, no switches, reads and plays exactly like it says. My girlfriend walked in and saw the card and said, "How in the hell did you do that?" I told her it was hard, but that it was a breakthrough in thinking, principle and theory. She said it was worth it.

J.
Many thanks, everyone, for the feedback so far. I'm very, very pleased that people seem to like it as much as they do, and I'm especially gratified that people are happy not only with the effect, but also with the quality of the manuscript. I put a lot of time and effort (several months of delayed release dates worth, in fact) into making the instructions as clear and easy to understand as possible, while at the same time making the text enjoyable to read. And so far at least [i]three[/i] people think I succeeded! Frankly, I don't see what more I could ask for.

Leapinglizards, I'm glad my booklet made for some good between-reading reading.

Shawn, sounds like you're ahead of the learning curve; when you've found a way to make it your own, I'd love to hear about it. (And that goes for everyone else as well.) And note that I will pit my linked cardboard rectangles against any currency-constructed rabbit, any day of the week.

Mr. Fisher, you are a gentleman and a scholar, and I'm honored by your kind words even if your avatar is a bit squishy.

IllusiOHN, I'm happy that you feel the time you spent Googling children's educational songs from the 70's wasn't wasted. Now go pay attention to your guests!

Paulie, wonderful to hear it gave you that "what a feeling" feeling. Hmm, maybe I'll add a subliminal reference to the "Flashdance" theme into the video...

Jerome, good on you for actually taking the time to work through the initial steps instead of just skimming over them. And that line you told your girlfriend was a commendable bit of codswallop and flapdoodle. I salute you for it.

And thanks as well to those who have made sure I'll spend the rest of the evening happily stuffing envelopes...
"And thanks as well to those who have made sure I'll spend the rest of the evening happily stuffing envelopes..."

I guess that includes me...I just ordered this today. :)

My marketing wheels are turning as I wait to receive 'Conjunction'.

Rich
I just ordered as well! Well its under my mothers name ;) but you will be stuffing one for me I hope! Cant wait.
Adam
Paleo and baskit . . . the feeling of accomplishment after I made that first linked card was incredible. I sat back and looked at it. Even though I just made it myself, it boggled the mind still! I really thought I was just so cool! I knew instantly that this was a definite KEEPER; a piece which will most likely remain with me for all - time AND will be utilized on a definite regular basis.

I knew after I purchased Ascension and read through it that anything else bearing Joshua's name HAD to be killer . . . If you find you like the thinking behind "Conjunction", you would do well to also consider this man's "Ascension" routine.

I'm going to have a tough time justifying (EVER) handing out a normal (read: UNLINKED) business card again;)

j.
I just received it today and while it's too early for me to comment on the actual trick and the methodology I must say that the production values are exquisite. The writing is cconcise and it's obvious that this wasn't just blasted out overnight.

The pictures and the instructions are clear and show the effect of great care and editing. I'm convinced that this is a trick that will be worth the effort --- time will tell.

sam

PS A minor gripe - this is certainly not limited to Joshua, but I wish Internet vendors would take the very few seconds necessary to acknowledge an order and possibly shipment. It's frustrating e.g. I'm sitting here right now waiting for a magnetic ring from Blacks and have NO idea when to expect it or if they even got my payment. Just a thought.
[quote]
On 2006-12-29 18:15, stevenamills wrote:

PS A minor gripe - this is certainly not limited to Joshua, but I wish Internet vendors would take the very few seconds necessary to acknowledge an order and possibly shipment. It's frustrating e.g. I'm sitting here right now waiting for a magnetic ring from Blacks and have NO idea when to expect it or if they even got my payment. Just a thought.
[/quote]

I agree Steven.
Just for the record,I did receive an e-mail today from Joshua with a tracking number,and I only ordered last evening.
This is a good practice for all sellers to follow.I know this type of service encourages me to return in the future. :)

Best.

Rich
Yup, I also received info! Great seller, now I hope it is indeed a great product as I hear!
This does look incredible, but not impossible, since it's done with business cards. I'm guessing due to how most business cards stock are created, therein lies the answer to this intriguing puzzle.
Steven, sorry you didn't get a shipping notice. When I print shipping labels online it sends out notices automatically, but I did a batch by hand over the holidays while I didn't have printing access, and yours must have been one of them. (And I'm still figuring out how to do the online labels for international shipments, so those of you who ordered from outside the USA, please bear with me.) But thanks for the kind words about the writing and production.

And TT2, I'm glad you liked Ascension as well. They're such radically different effects that I didn't think there would be many people -- apart from me, because I'm odd that way -- who would have a use for both. ("You got a zodiac sign divination in my linking card!" "You got an impossible object in my character reading system!") But I've been pleasantly surprised at the amount of overlap.
I will buy this, it looks very cool. Another key reason for me buying this is Quinn's presence in this thread though. I've found you not only to be straightforward and honest about your product, but also articulate and amusing in your posts as well. I can only imagine what a joy it will be to read your manuscript. This is once instance where I'm thinking to myself, "Yay! It's not on DVD!"

Looking forward to this. I have an origamist friend who was an aerospace engineering major who will likely lose sleep after I show him the finished result...

Kevin
Quinn,
I can't stop gushing over this piece!!!

It's fun to do; I really enjoy it. Whoever thought that tearing up a business card could be so meditative/contemplative? And then the result? Wow.

I did this for a man at an antique store today. He offered us $150.00 off what we were purchasing to show him how it was done. Looks like you may have to up the price! hahaha.

When people are handed the linked card, I am noticing an internal process. It creates this incredible impossible moment; the mind reels. Leaving it with them is just plain cruel:)

If you use business cards; this is for you.

Peace,
Jerome.
I'm coming up with a presentation about "facilitating the Zen state". Talk about origami as a practice for self reflection, etc. The final moment really "puts them there" if you know what I mean.

j.
Kevin, you're too kind. And your origamist/engineer friend sounds like the perfect person to do this for. Once you do, please let me know how it goes.

Jerome, gush away, my friend. :) I know what you mean about the "internal process." People generally don't react to it right away; they have to stop and think for a second to take in what they're seeing. I've even had a couple people who, when I asked them if it's possible to tear two linked rings from the same card, said "sure" because they'd simply never thought about it. But then once they saw the result, after a moment they said, "Wait a minute, that's [i]not[/i] possible! How the **** did you do that?" And nice thinking with the Zen angle. Do you pose the question, "What is the sound of one card linking?"
I love this. I am a bit obsessed now, and there are little pieces of card all over my floor. I showed this to my wife [who is a math freak] and she stared at it for a while and then said "Wow, that is cool." Believe me, that is a VERY good
review.

I just wonder though, what kind of crazy, demented mind can come up with this?

Quinn? How on earth did you ever figure this out?
James
[quote]
On 2006-12-31 08:02, Xiqual wrote:
I just wonder though, what kind of crazy, demented mind can come up with this?

Quinn? How on earth did you ever figure this out?[/quote]

By being "a bit obsessed" myself. I mention this briefly in the manuscript, but the inspiration was Ian Rowland's stage effect wherein he cuts two linked rings from a sheet of newspaper. When I saw it, I was one of the people who got to examine the rings, and even after giving them a good looking over, I didn't have a clue. That bugged me. A [i]lot[/i]. Ian then mentioned (on this board if I recall correctly) that his effect was inspired by Isao Komine's "Kirigami Rings." So I tracked down a copy of it, and immediately experienced what I refer to in the book as "one of those crushing, amateurish moments of disappointment with the method." Of course I can't go into exactly why, but like most such moments, it came down to this: I wanted it to be real, and it wasn't. As embarrassing as this is to admit, I think I took the news of Santa's nonexistence better. However, that disappointment got me thinking about the problem, and pointed me toward a way that just [i]might[/i] allow me to actually do it for real. So, as is my usual prerequisite for any worthwhile thing I accomplish or create in life, I became a bit obsessed with it.

Three years later, following more time and money and effort spent on research and development than I will ever admit to anyone, Conjunction is the result of that obsession.
That is...too weird.

Really cool looking. Kudos to the creator. =)
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Dec 31, 2006 05:29PM)
Quinn and TT2

I’ve been obsessed for a long time
in finding the perfect business card magic.
Seems it’s here,
and I’ve ordered “Conjunction”.

To say a little thank you for all the sharing
about Conjunction on this tread,
and the creative idea TT2 has had about a zen approach,
aided by Quinn’s line about linking,
I’ve prematurely written up a draft of a presentation
which might be of use to some Conjunction-eers
present and future!

Magically, Walt

--------------------------

Business is stressful,
so have you ever considered all the stress balled up in one’s business cards?
Lots of tension to be found there I guarantee.

Origami is the ancient Japanese art of paper-folding,
there’s another ancient art of paper-cutting, called Kirigami,
these are all designed to focus the attention,
to center-- and to find the calm within that Center.

I prefer paper tearing.
It allows me to rid myself of hostilities so I don’t go postal.
And at the same time find my Center.
Both de-stress -and- meditate.

All in perfect harmony--
as tiny bits of card flutter in higher-consciousness.

Owning my feelings of pressure in the Now.
Anticipating my feelings of peace in the Zen.

Sort of a Now-and-Zen approach you could call it?

So pouring all my frustration and focus--
into this one business card.

Within the Center of My Being,
even the Impossible becomes…. the Probable!

Which begs the Zen Koan…
“What is the sound of one card… linking?”

--------------------------

Happy New Year!

Walt Anthony
Spellbinder Entertainment
San Francisco
[quote]

Three years later, following more time and money and effort spent on research and development than I will ever admit to anyone, Conjunction is the result of that obsession.
[/quote]

I'd like to see the pile of card trash from those three years. Look out Ripley's.
LOL.

I absolutely love this Quinn, thank you for infecting us with your meme.
I'd also like to thank you for going the extra mile on the quality of the manuscript. First class all the way.
Sincerly,
James
Walt,
Thanks for your idea's on dressing and presentation. Nice. I love Quinn's line, "What is the sound of one card linking?"

By experience, I have found it's most likely a short gasp, coupled with a long silence:), and then filled by massive amounts of queries.

James,
I know what you're talking about. I have been up to my elbows in torn pieces. I can only imagine years worth of practice and experimentation.

I RARELY find something that I will KEEP and USE. I am fortunate to have found 2-3 pieces this entire last year; and Conjunction is at the top of that very short list. Thanks again, Quinn.

To 07',
Jerome.
ShallowVision, thanks!

Walt,
Though my verse is not
as elegant as yours,
and in fact seems like nothing but
ordinary sentences
with random line breaks thrown in,
know that I appreciate your thoughts,
and wish you the best in finding
true inner peace
through Conjunctioneerdom.

James, I'm fairly sure that's the first time anyone has ever thanked me for infecting them, but you're most welcome. Richard Dawkins and Susan Blackmore would be proud. As for "going the extra mile" with the manuscript, I never even thought of it in those terms; my approach is simply that if I put something out there with my name on it, it's going to be as good as I can possibly make it.

Jerome, I'm honored to have made the top of your list. Between this and Ascension (which I just found out made the top of someone else's list, well known in mentalism circles), the reception I've received for my effects has been way more positive and encouraging than I imagined or hoped for. Heck, it's almost enough to make me want to release more of my stuff in the coming year... [i]mwahahaha...[/i]
I torelinked so many cards last night that my fingertips still HURT!!!
...it is soooo great - thanks Joshua for bringing this into the community of strange thinking humanoids!
T
I'm pleased that you like it. Just be glad you didn't get the earlier version that required incredibly precise tears at odd angles through four layers of card. My fingertips would hurt after doing [i]two[/i] of those. And as someone who makes most of his living playing beat-up pianos in noisy bars, I'm no wimp when it comes to fingertip pain.
That looks great Quinn. I'll have to put in an order when I get my funds.
Gotta get this!

It reminds me of something I saw decades ago in "Fun With Paper" by Joseph Leeming.

--Josh
One other nice thing - Joshua makes a joke out of giving the names of suppliers for the proper papere, but it is a tremendous help. It would take hours, if not days, trying to find the right color, texture etc.

Thanks again.

sam
[quote]
On 2007-01-05 00:02, stevenamills wrote:
Joshua makes a joke out of giving the names of suppliers for the proper papere, but it is a tremendous help. It would take hours, if not days...[/quote]

Heh, I wish. Try the better part of a year. (Did I mention I became a bit obsessive about this?)

I should clarify something here to avoid scaring people off. Steven is referring to a point in the manuscript where I talk about how to get "the Rolls Royce of card stock paper." You [i]don't[/i] need to get this kind of paper to perform the effect, any more than you need a Rolls Royce to get to work in the morning; you can do it perfectly well with ordinary card stock from your local printer. However, for those who want to go the extra step and use paper whose every characteristic happens to be absolutely perfectly suited to the effect, I tell you what it is and where to find it. The joke (though it really isn't one) is that I provide that information because I'm too lazy to do what my friends suggested, which was to buy a bunch of the paper wholesale and then sell it to Conjunction users at an unconscionable markup.

VcosNJ, thanks!

Josho, I hadn't heard of that book, but I just put in my order at Amazon. Thanks for the tip.
I have been tearing cards and just leaving them for people to find.
I figure most people will just think it is trash, but maybe there will be a few people who will be absolutely astonished.

"Two frames, linked, made out of paper. Who made this? Why? How?"

Hmm... Maybe I need a life.
James
Haha well I haven't been able to tear one yet :'( But I have read through it and see that this is absolutely amazing. I need some business cards lol. Thanks for this gem Joshua!
Kinko's has what you need on hand. I went and got more new cards made; Joshua's recommended stock from the manuscript all check out, of course.

Friends that have not even seen this have been calling me . . . "What's this I hear about you . . ." It's great. People really TALK about this afterwards. That's rare.

This is more "cerebral" magic than they are used to. The card is fascinating, impossible.

Quinn, can I start a Conjunction fan club? hahaha

-J.
I PM'ed you Quinn.

I am excited about the purchase. I have not received it yet (infact I just ordered)...

After reading the reviews, I'm very intrigue by this linking business card plot. The only way to find out is to order and I'm a few clicks away at this time :)
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jan 6, 2007 05:59PM)
A balanced review and my honest opinions…

I need to be the thousandth person to talk about CONJUNCTION….

1) Joshua Quinn has entirely too much time on his hands.

2) Joshua Quinn no doubt needs to get himself a life.

3) Joshua Quinn is probably in league with the Devil.

4) Joshua Quinn is the magician I want to meet in 2007.

Rarely does any piece of Magic measure up to its hype
…Conjunction does.

Rarely is Magic satisfyingly perverse and lastingly incomprehensible
…Conjunction is.

Rarely does Magic come along which cannot be pigeonholed.
…Conjunction is unique.

And it is very rare for magic-instructions to be clear, clean, and intelligible.
…Conjunction’s are.

Yes- there is quite an involved learning curve and mastery arc.
No- it is not practical for every card style you may have or encounter.

Yes- it is flexible and adaptable to various performance styles.
No- it should not be presented with thoughtless, boring, or no-style robotics.

Yes- a lot of people will buy this and never follow through learning it.
No- you cannot perform it live the first time or without diligent practice.

Yes- it will help you look way more impressive and get more gigs.
No- you probably cannot create a new religion just by doing it.

Earlier in this thread I was inspired to write a possible presentation text.
I am ecstatic to discover that it does mesh cleanly with the effect in a practical way.
Feel free to borrow or adapt it.

I predict:
That smart performers will still be talking about CONJUNCTION
on Magic Café posts in 2008 as one of the best deals of the year.

Thank you Mr. Quinn,
I truly owe you one…

Magically,
Walt
Evolve,
Do yourself a favor and get this!

Walt,
Fantastic review. Well said.

Personally, I'm having way too much fun with this. I'm making Conjunction-ed cards at every opportunity and leaving them EVERYWHERE!

It still takes me about 3-4 minutes to tear a card . . . and granted, I'm having some blocks speaking during that time frame:), but it's coming along and oh so well!

To remedy this, I make the card off the cuff, while hopefully speaking about something magical or intelligent. After a routine or two (one which ideally uses a business card - - - my stealth assassin has seen more work in the last few weeks than it has in a long time!), when they are talking about the previous business and I am finished, I nonchalantly pick up the card, and while talking and enjoying the prior magical moments, I begin tearing. It's all very casual.

When I'm finished and it's time to part ways; here I go, unfolding the card.

WOW!!! This packs the ultimate final punch, and off they go with my contact info.

Reading my prior posts, one may tell that I absolutely love this piece. As said before, it comes with my highest recommendations. "Beautiful and rare" pretty much sums it up.

Conjoined,
Jerome.
With more thought . . .

If someone were inclined to use this during motivational speaking engagements or peak performance seminars, it could really make a statement. From making the impossible, possible - to showing different ways of thought and action; this could be gold.

I once saw a great speaker who used PK Touches in his communication seminars. The man would have jumped all over this.

I'm thinking of tearing up a card while finishing a reading. Ending with a bit of inspiration and good news while unfolding the card to show could be really strong.

Random thoughts,
J.
Has anyone here ordered the special card stock suggested in the booklet and is it a major improvement over standard business card stock?
[quote]
On 2007-01-06 22:03, TT2 wrote:

If someone were inclined to use this during motivational speaking engagements or peak performance seminars, it could really make a statement. From making the impossible, possible - to showing different ways of thought and action; this could be gold.

[/quote]
It's powerful esp. if you use it to demonstrate a business merger!
[quote]
On 2007-01-07 13:07, evolve629 wrote:
It's powerful esp. if you use it to demonstrate a business merger!
[/quote]
Really? this involves ONE card linking into ITS SELF

s.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jan 7, 2007 01:06PM)
Sponge,
go back to the first page of the thread and click on the link to the video, all will become clear.
Walt
MagicMan1957,

Some samples of the "Rolls Royce" stock are provided with the manuscript so you can compare it to other stocks. It *IS* a standard business card stock itself.

In my experience with it so far, practicing with various cards in my office, the Rolls Royce is "absolutely perfectly suited to the effect," as Quinn suggests.

As Quinn has pointed out (above), "You don't need to get this kind of paper to perform the effect, any more than you need a Rolls Royce to get to work in the morning; you can do it perfectly well with ordinary card stock from your local printer." I have found this to be pretty true. Some card stocks work better than others, and his suggested card stocks work the best.

I hope that helps. :)
[quote]
On 2007-01-07 14:06, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Sponge,
go back to the first page of the thread and click on the link to the video, all will become clear.
Walt
[/quote]
No, I've seen the video. In my mind, a "merger" requires two business becoming one (linked if you will). This is ONE business splitting into two separate, yet linked pieces. TWO business cards linking, now that I could see as a merger.

s
The Sponge, you are absolutely right! I guess a therapist can do this effect and explains to his or her client about multiple personality disorder; but for now, let's just deal with this particular split one for a moment.. :)
Well, all this talk of Conjunction has really inspired me to go get this myself.

I've placed my order and am really quite excited about getting it.

Ros
I got this a few days ago. Excellent effect, but because of the cards I use, it wouldn't be practical. I doubt, however, that too many people use frosted see-through business cards. I'm too set in my ways to change though. But for 99% of people this is awesome!

I reluctantly put mine up for sale at the Café.

Jeff
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jan 9, 2007 04:57PM)
Naw! Jeff!

I too have very unique, distinctive, and expensive cards.
But that's not deterring me.

I'm having an alternate set of cards made,
with just a "clever" message line, and my web-address.

This is just too powerful a give-away to pass on.
Reconsider!

Magically,
Walt
Does anyone else get people begging to know how this is done? After seeing it, everyone wants to be able to do it!

I could see street vendors selling thousands of these. Thank God it showed up here and not on the streets! haha, thanks Quinn!

-J.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jan 9, 2007 08:31PM)
J-
How about saying
"Sure I'd love to teach you how to do this,
do you have a solid week to sit with me to work together,
I'll give you a great hourly rate on my time."

That should do it...
<grin>
Walt
Or better yet, hand them a linking card with Quinns website on it :)
[quote]
On 2007-01-09 17:41, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
Excellent effect, but because of the cards I use, it wouldn't be practical. I doubt, however, that too many people use frosted see-through business cards.[/quote]

Funny you should mention that. One of my early experiments involved trying to get it to work with frosted plastic. Unfortunately it never worked at all, so I have no good news for you there.

[quote]Or better yet, hand them a linking card with Quinns website on it[/quote]

Now that's an idea I can get behind.
And Conjunction keeps stumping the best of em'! Really, people are spending hours wrapping their minds around this one . . .

Learn it, live it, love it . . .
J.
Quinn,
Have you ever done this on television?

-J.
I am a freelance graphic designer so I am at different locations everyday working with graphics professionals. Most of these clients know that I am a magician and several have come to my shows. Recently I have taken great pleasure in leaving these for friends/clients without saying a word or sometimes handing it to them and simply quoting the great Paul Harris by saying "a little piece of strange".

Thanks Josh!!
You've made me look good

Shawn
[quote]
On 2007-01-09 17:57, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Naw! Jeff!

I too have very unique, distinctive, and expensive cards.
But that's not deterring me.

I'm having an alternate set of cards made,
with just a "clever" message line, and my web-address.

This is just too powerful a give-away to pass on.
Reconsider!

Magically,
Walt

[/quote]

I'm with you here, Walt. I just placed an order for "Conjunction" and I plan on having some business cards made up just for this effect. I'm becoming more and more interested in adding unique giveaways to my repetoire instead of adding more tricks.

As a side note, I just purchased Robert Neale's wonderful "Folding Money Fooling" to learn the Bunny Bill (Rabbitt from the Hat origami dollar bill fold) and I'm also printing some business cards on Bicycle Playing Cards (blanks) so as to morph a 'six of hearts' playing card into my business card by way of Masuda's "WOW".

Thank you Mr. Quinn for another valuable giveaway item for magicians!
Just a quick note to let everyone know that my initial batch of the booklets has sold out. All outstanding orders have been shipped, so if you've ordered one it's on the way. I've ordered more, and I should have them within a couple weeks. So I'm still accepting orders, but know that if you order now you'll have a little bit of a wait.

Jerome, no, never performed it on TV.

Shawn, I'd love to see what kind of design a real graphic designer comes up with for the card.

MJ Marrs, glad you like it!
Joshua,

I have it and love the effect. It actually suits my existing cards perfectly - conclusive proof of my extraordinary powers of premonition.

I must comment on the writing of the booklet. Apart from being well produced and very clearly explained, I really enjoyed it just for the read. You are a funny guy!

Fantastic!

Lynne
I know some people out there are having problems finding the right paper for this wonderful routine, so I decided to see what I could find. I have access to hundreds of paper samples, so here are the current results.

I have not been able to track down the Tomohawk paper that Quinn refers to in the book. I've heard it has been merged with another product. I am looking into this.

Domtar Feltweave (www.domtar.com) is not bad. The 65# (pound) is a little better than the 80# because it's easier to fold and tear. They both hide the "work" well. The Natural color seems to be the best.

The Fox River Sundance paper is pretty good as well. I don't know that the Navajo or Maize (as Quinn suggested) is the best choice as they have added recycled fibers to the paper which will make disguising the work a bit harder. Instead try the bright white or natural white. I would also try the 65# AND the 80# cover.

I think the Passport Sundance Felt is pretty good too. The three colors that Quinn mentioned are readily available. I'm going to get some samples of each and try them out.

I came across two others:
Synergy Felt by Smart Papers (www.smartpapers.com) in the white, natural, or ivory.

Another that may work is Oxford Paper in the the Holly Hunt Collection from Gilbert Paper (www.gilbertpaper.com). They are not a traditional felt but they may work. Try the White, Innocent White or the Cream.

I haven't tried these, but I plan to get some samples and will let you all know.

That's what I have so far. I hope this helps.

Best
shawn
I received mine about a week ago.

First of all I was dead impressed with the quick turn around of placing my order and it flying across the Atlantic and through my letter box. Awsome service!

Ok, so conjunction. Is it any good?

The simple and most straight forward answer is YES! its brillient.

It opens up a whole new way of thinking about stuff. Not just business cards, but things in general. Brillient.

If you're considering getting it, you really have to make sure you follow the steps exactly as written. Don't do what I did and go straight for the tear. It won't work out.

After realising my mistake, and going back to the beginning, following the instructions was easy. They are clearly written and very understandable.

The feeling that you get after making your first link is totally unbelieveable. Whilst making it I still had that tiny doubt in the back of my mind that it wouldn't work. But it does!!!

Everyone I've shown the links to have been blown away.

They all ask how it was done, and I find it so hard not to tell them. The method is even more devilish than the finished product.

All I would ask, is now I've got mine can you stop making them please?
Lynne, I'll bet you say that to all the guys about whom it is plainly, blindingly, self-evidently true. Such a compliment from Lynne is doubly flattering because, though she's too modest to mention it, she is a gifted writer herself with numerous published works to her name, one of which I'm thoroughly enjoying at the moment.

Shawn, thanks so much for that valuable info. I've just heard from another Conjunction user that a recent batch of Passport paper didn't work so well (apparently they changed it somehow from the stuff I got). And since Tomohawk is apparently no longer made, I'm really glad you've found some other options. I'll be getting in touch to ask about your results.

Roslyn, so glad you liked it. Let us know how you get along with performing it while balancing a keg on your chin.
Some new updated info for all conjunctioneers:

Tomohawk paper by mohawk has a new name. It is called VIA Felt.
You can go to http://www.mohawkpaper.com and order up to 5 sheets of each color and weight for free. That's right FREE!

Enjoy
shawn
Quinn,

Any updates on the next batch?

Cordially,
S.D.Long
Stephen and everyone else waiting for a copy: long story short, there was a printing glitch, and this batch got delayed. I'm expecting them in about three weeks from now. Apologies all around for the delay. The upside is that the new batch will have updated information about types of paper and where to get them.
[quote]
On 2007-02-09 12:05, Quinn wrote:
Stephen and everyone else waiting for a copy: long story short, there was a printing glitch, and this batch got delayed. I'm expecting them in about three weeks from now. Apologies all around for the delay. The upside is that the new batch will have updated information about types of paper and where to get them.
[/quote]

Hi Quinn,
Can you please email or PM me (other buyers too), where to get them?
Thanks,
Harish
At first, I was a little afraid seeing all the step to achieve the final linked cards but I really loved the final product (the description are really excellent with pictures etc..). Now that I had more time, I actually try it exactly as describe and was successfull in first try :) Show it to a friend who know everything about everything but had no clue how this could be done ! My second try was even much better and of course easier.
And now it even get fun to fold and tear this card :)
This is a must to have ! Quinn, congratulation on this, you must have worked a lot to achieve and understand all this fold/tear for such an excellent result.

Nicolas
Nicholas, I'm glad it's working for you. I know doing the work in front of people can be scary at first, but you have to remember, they have no idea what's coming or what to watch for.

Harish, I missed your post above until just now; sorry for the late response. Basically, the Sundance paper mentioned in the book is still good, and now gets my top recommendation. Tomohawk paper is no longer made, and has been replaced by a product called Via Felt paper. It works, but it's not quite as easy as the old stuff. The Flax and Jute colors are the best. And Passport paper has apparently been changed and is no longer as easy to work with, so I've axed it from the book.

And just to let everyone know, the next batch has arrived, so all outstanding orders have been shipped, and I've got them on hand and ready to send out once again.
I got my copy of CONJUNCTION a few weeks back, and went right into rehearsal for a show, so I haven't had a chance to write up any kind of review or evaluation.

But boy do I have one.

Uno: This is marvelous, in the dictionary sense of the word. It evokes marvelling, confusion, amusement, and (in a select few) the kind of "oh I know how he did that" response provided by people who hate not knowing how things work.

Dos: Practice. Practice. Practice. I actually started 'working out' with Avery ink jet business card stock - a box of 1000 cards will run you about $20 at your local office supply store. It helps that this is what I've been using for my business cards (on account of I am cheap). Thus, you can shred as many cards as you want for a fairly low cost.

Tres: There are 3ply cards out there which totally confuse and befuddle me. F'rinstance, the cards my Day Job gives me (begins with a Y and ends with a !) are wonderful three-ply card stock which turns anyone attempting to 'put the work in' into a frustrated gibbering wreck.

Fours: While practicing, go slow. No, slower than that. Noooo... slower than THAT. What you want to be able to do is put the moves in with *accuracy* first, then work up your speed.

Five: Some of us can't tear a straight line to save our lives. I'm one of those people. So I grew out my right thumbnail a bit to act as an "edge" to facilitate tearing. Of course, having a slightly longer thumbnail is useful for other things too, but...

This is one of those things which is certainly not an 'out of the box miracle', but, it's worth the time and effort. Totally.
Hey, all.

Joshua Quinn, creator of Conjunction, will be my guest on the Mike on the Mic Show Tuesday, February 27th at 8:00 PM PST. I'd love you all to tune in at:

http://www.magicbroadcast.com
I have a question about this effect......

Isn't what you are doing possible? Is it really magic? or just a puzzle.

Immediately after watching the demo I thought it was possible.
[quote]
On 2007-02-26 19:58, Drizz wrote:
I have a question about this effect......

Isn't what you are doing possible? Is it really magic? or just a puzzle.

Immediately after watching the demo I thought it was possible.
[/quote]

This is one of the very few effects, where you get actually get what you pay for. NOTHING is hidden, no HOLE IN THE HEAD needed, no PROTOCOLS to follow, no BIGGER THREE to wait for. You can actually have the business card torn and two frames (rings as Joshua calls) linked permanently. It takes Joshua about two minutes to perform. Its all in the way you perform the trick. The end will justify the means, in this case.
I hope I don't come across as too negative, because this is a cool 'stunt' for lack of a better word, but I cannot figure out why this effect/trick is baffling people. I can only think of one way this can be accomplished, and if that assumption is correct, it seems to me that it wouldn't take much inspection for the spectator to know the 'secret'. Maybe I'm missing something? If my assumptions are wrong, I'd be thrilled! I'd love to ask a blunt question about the appearance of the paper rings when the trick is done, but I'm affraid that would lead to exposure. Grrr
You are missing something :)- the manuscript!
Yeah. What he said.

This arrived a with me yesterday. After having read the manuscript and played with the thing for a few hours now, this is my verdict: Joshua Quinn is some kind of strange genius. I love this. It's one of the most brilliantly satisfying things I've come across since I've been involved with magic.

If I were wearing a hat, I would quite literally take it off to Josha Quinn.

SDL

P.S. Anyone know of a good U.K supplier of nice card stock?
[quote]
On 2007-02-27 20:27, Dr Spektor wrote:
You are missing something :)- the manuscript!
[/quote]

You're absolutely right :) Guess it's time to add it to my wish list.
http://www.madhattermagicshop.com now have it in stock as well.
I just got one from Madhatter. I was very impressed with the quality of the product.
[quote]
On 2007-03-24 06:17, niva wrote:
http://www.madhattermagicshop.com now have it in stock as well.
[/quote]

Thanks! Im going to buy it next week..
Any updates on getting the 'right' card stock in the UK. I've been to all retail suppliers and no luck as of yet. Also, the websites mentioned above don't post to the UK (or if they do it's very expensive!!)

Another thumbs up for this EXCELLENT effect. After some practice, you will get it down - and it still is amazing to see the 'final moment' when the cards link! Thanks a lot Joshua - you are a genius!!!
Just one comment

Upside: This is darn brilliant thinking - I love it.

Downside: There is only a 2% chance that you can do it convincingly with your current business card and 2% chance you can do it with a borrowed Business card. I just checked all my friends business cards - and sorry to say none of them will work (and I have a lot of friends and working associations - haven't found 1 suitable business card yet). Now it doesn't require much to "create" a business card that works, and you can order them anywhere - but expect to change your business cards if you want to perform this. However you can most likely use your current business cards to practice with - but not to perform with.

I hate to say it but the advertisment for this effect led me to believe otherwise - that I could actually use plenty of business cards - and therin lies my dissapointment with this effect.

I personally will hange business cards soon, and when I do I will of course make sure that I can perform this wonderfull effect with the cards.
If anyone knows of a supplier in the UK for suitable card stock for this routine, please PM me.

Many Thanks in advance!

MC
I made one up and gave it to Bill Goodwin at the Magic Castle library, he hung it up on a statue on the desk and tells me it has started quite a few conversations and attracted a fair amount of interest.
And it does work with most business cards, it's not perfect, but it's close.
You can get a better handout by getting the correct cardstock, but so far, I've had one person figure out how part of it was done, and she figured it out because she does crafts, not magic.
A few years ago, I did cardwarp for some people and one guy came up to me later, and said- you must do it THIS way and nail it, I told him that he was wrong :)
Another quick review:

this is good! it's workable.
I can keep one of these in my wallet wherever I go.
It takes a lot of practice to get it down, though.
ANY updates on a good paper available in Europe to do this GREAT effect???
PLEEEAAASEEE!
, )

I still haven`t found what I am tearing for...
[quote]
On 2007-06-22 10:12, Vraagaard wrote:
Just one comment

Upside: This is darn brilliant thinking - I love it.

Downside: There is only a 2% chance that you can do it convincingly with your current business card and 2% chance you can do it with a borrowed Business card. I just checked all my friends business cards - and sorry to say none of them will work (and I have a lot of friends and working associations - haven't found 1 suitable business card yet). Now it doesn't require much to "create" a business card that works, and you can order them anywhere - but expect to change your business cards if you want to perform this. However you can most likely use your current business cards to practice with - but not to perform with.

I hate to say it but the advertisment for this effect led me to believe otherwise - that I could actually use plenty of business cards - and therin lies my dissapointment with this effect.

I personally will hange business cards soon, and when I do I will of course make sure that I can perform this wonderfull effect with the cards.
[/quote]
Same position here..
I was lucky. The card si have do the effect just fine. Just go to any pronta print in the uk and buy some standrd cards and your sorted
This is very good effect. Highly recommended!
I have it and I'm willing to trade it or sale it if someone wants it.
This is my fist post.
I really like conjunction, and had a similar David Blaine levitation reaction when I heard of this effect. I called the dealer asking if this was really possible, who gave me a hint(he really shouldn't have). Still sceptical I bought something else.
Of course there are many similar hints on this thread.
A couple of years later, I decided to try to work it out myself, after I managed it, I then decided to buy the manuscript.
Frankly without Joshua, this effect would never have come about, and I can see that his techniques have been honed and tweaked for untold years.
Thank you Joshua for Conjuction.

Now the real reason, the motivation behind wanting to join this thread.

The challenge starts here!

I can do this, using the deceptive tears, in 1 minute and 15 seconds (self timed) starting with a crisp business card out of my hands.

I also know that I can beat that time because that time was taken about a week ago, and I've gone through about 300 cards since.

As soon as I get it down to 1 minute or under, I would like to post a youtube clip confirming this with witnesses.

Last word on this post. I have performed this at a paid Wedding to several guests who wrote the name of the newly weds.
At first, It does take fairly long. But if you work it, you'll soon find your own patter/presentational style.

Anyways, I want to know if I've got a good time, I'll check back and let you guys know if I've broken the 1 minute barrier.

Thanks again Mr Quinn!
Okay, this thread is getting a bit old, and no-body probably cares any more after reading the last 7 pages.
Last recorded time of completing conjunction: 53 seconds.

I'm going to start a new thread, under conjunction linking cards challenge.

Remember the rules are to start the timer with empty hands, using deceptive tears you should be left with 13 peices of separate debris(although 15 or 17 is most deceptive), the timer stops when hands are empty again. If the conjunction is examined and is not completely seperated then the attempt is void.

I'm definateley looking forward to beating the 53 second mark, as soon as I get myself another couple of thousand cards (you do tend to run out when your obsessivly tearing), and of course making sure I have official proof to back it up with.
Keep it up and then post a video on YouTube. I would love to see it.
I finally learned this effect over the weekend. And just want to check if anyone knows of any good sources for the business cards? Any magicians from the UK managed to track down a good source yet?

Joe
Hello.
I've ran out of cards again. This effect is really nice for weddings, or any type of adult get together.
Silly of me really to try to start a magic record attempt claims on it really.
Thought I'd post back on the subject.
Been full time magician for the last severak months, what I mean to say is I got sacked from my last call centre job and am surviving the proceeds of doing magic shows.
Anyway, it's a really nice effect, not a challenge peice, but gives you a chance to chat away and get to know your audience.
Best place I've found cards is at my local print shop, that way you can ask for samples of their cards to try before you buy.
Conjunction rocks! Peace!
I would like to get this effect, but I can't find it in stock anywhere. Would anyone like to sell theirs?
KJ
If you would like to sell, please PM me so I get notified. Thanks.
KJ.
I just got this, thx.
kj
This is also taught in the True Astonishment set in one of the secret cookies.

janet
This is also taught in the True Astonishment set in one of the secret cookies.

janet
Does anyone know where I can get Conjunction.

Thanks
Http://www.mentallyimpossible.com/conjunction/
[quote]On Nov 10, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Http://www.mentallyimpossible.com/conjunction/ [/quote]

Thanks but he's not shipping and doesn't appear to be available.
This version is even better some would say.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/pm_view.php?pm_id=823634
I just got new business cards and have been delving back into this. I seem to remember reading Joshua on some social media (can't remember where) that he had recently made some progress or improvements on this. Does anyone know anything about this? Joshua?

best
Joe