(Close Window)
Topic: XL by Jay Sankey
Coming soon from Jay Sankey....

I just spotted this new Sankey effect.
How do you think this would play for laymen?

http://www.mjmmagic.com/videos/xl.wmv

“XL”- The incredible card illusion that BECOMES REAL!

"The spectator shuffles the pack, touches any card, and the selected card is closely examined. You remove two Jokers from your pocket, and both Jokers are also examined. The selected card is slowly sandwiched between the two Jokers, and that's when some VERY strange stuff starts to happen. First, one end of the face up selection VISIBLY STRETCHES! Then, the other end VISIBLY STRETCHES! For the jaw-dropping climax, the two Jokers and the STILL STRETCHED selected card are all handed out to be thoroughly examined! You have turned the selected card into an honest-to-goodness holy relic! Comes complete with extremely cool gimmicks for both red and blue Bicycle decks, plus an exciting instructional DVD featuring 8 killer handlings including "The Classic Handling", "Stand-Up Stretch", "Spanish Inquisition", "Guerrilla Warfare", "Not A Levitation", "Seated Stretch", "Seated Stretch", "Don't Blink", "In Their Own Hands" and the "Holy Relic: Bonus Handling!"
It might play OK; it's up to your ability to sell the effect. Easy to figure out by looking at his video demo.
I think it would go over well. Especially since they can examine the cards before and after the effect.
[quote]
On 2006-12-20 22:51, Pete Biro wrote:
It might play OK; it's up to your ability to sell the effect. Easy to figure out by looking at his video demo.
[/quote]

:lol: Very easy to figure out, indeed!
I don't like that trick.
I'm a big Sankey fan, but this one leaves me a little cold. And $20 seems a bit steep, even with a DVD.
I think this will play well with lay persons; I need to remind myself that the effect is intended for lay audience and not magicians. :) Cheers!
I like it, but it's a bit overpriced.
I've never paid $20 for a sandwich... :) ...
I much prefer Paul Gertner's handling of Peter Kane's stretching card plot, as published in his lecture notes 'Amalgamations!'

The notes come with the required long card included, contain 10 other worker routines, and cost only $15!

Just my opinion, of course...

Alex
Frank Garcia used to perform a three card version similar in effect, called the Stretching Queen (aka "The Lady Stretches," created by Jon Racherbaumer, Gene Castillon, and Marvin Johnson, based on Peter Kane's Elongated Lady), where the Queen is placed between two other cards, then stretched out from both ends of the packet, and then pushed back together again. At the end, the magician shows that there are really just three cards (front and back), and the Queen can be handed out for inspection (although I rarely encourage handing anything out for inspection, gaffed or not, since it tends to train audiences to want to inspect every little thing). He used to perform this as a packet trick, but it could easily be adapted to follow along the description in the first post.
One nice version is [url=http://www.mallofmagic.com/prodpage.html]Don England's Plastic Lady[/url] , sold by Mike Powers.....
I think there are better versions out there...I wasn't all that impressed by it. Although it could work pretty well with laypeople.

Nick
Gee, I got excited there for a minute. It would be great to be able to hand out the stretched queen! But, the method is pretty obvious. I'll stick with Frank Garcia's routine or Gary Plants' ingenious version of this.

Robert
Aldo's version is much better and has a very strong climax.
The workings of Sankey's XL are completely transparent. This usually makes for difficulty that the performer is obligated to deal with while standing in front of their audience.
Where can you learn aldo's version?
thanks
matt
[quote]
On 2007-01-05 17:12, matt.magicman wrote:
Where can you learn aldo's version?
thanks
matt
[/quote]
I believe it can be found in The Essential Aldo Colombini - Vol. 3 - from L&L publishing called Rubber Illusion in which a Queen stretches to twice its length and then—if you blink, you’ll miss it!—it visibly changes into a miniature card.

I think this is the effect? Not 100% sure...
Thankyou thankyou
not entirly impromptu then, as a lot of his work is?
...The quality of the supplied 'stretch cards' (red & blue) is [b]very[/b] poor. They're not even Bicycle stock.

[b]GS[/b]
What about the different presentations? Anything interesting?
[quote]
On 2007-01-14 16:48, GhostSurfer wrote:
...The quality of the supplied 'stretch cards' (red & blue) is [b]very[/b] poor. They're not even Bicycle stock.
[/quote]

Wow, that is disappointing.....
Its a good looking effect, but don't forget, it will fool the layperson.
[quote]
On 2007-01-14 16:48, GhostSurfer wrote:

[b]GS[/b]
[/quote]
Not Bicycle stock but still look like Bicycle brand?
Is the quality the same as Bigger Finish? If so, I wouldn't be concerned with the feel of the cards. Most lay people probably don't know what Bicycle cards feel like anyway. Most cheap decks feel a lot different than Bikes.
[quote]
On 2007-01-16 09:00, Cameron Francis wrote:
Is the quality the same as Bigger Finish?
[/quote]

In my opinion, no, the quality is not as good. The Bicycle back-design looks like a bad or cheap laser-copy. You really need to check out the gaff before you buy.

[b]GS[/b]