(Close Window)
Topic: Exploding Steamer on Letterman
Want a good laugh? Go here and wait until the last seconds of the video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SCJLlSf21Y
Good one Doug
Al Angello
That was utterly hilarious and there's no doubt in my mind that David set that up. I'm glad Simmons is so clueless as to keep going back on that show. Thanks, Doug!
Simmons and Letterman have a history of such antics. Its good for both of them. Weither you like or hate Simmons... its still funny and that's what makes it work. This effect was done with a trick tray that the steamer was placed on.

Best,

Tim
I laughed so hard - the expression on Simmons's reaction on the steam and fire is hilarious! :) Thanks daffydoug for sharing this one.
Lmao!

Thanks Doug
Not that I should talk, but Richard Simmons looks like he's putting on a little weight.
[quote]
On 2006-12-24 13:06, Cliffg37 wrote:
Not that I should talk, but Richard Simmons looks like he's putting on a little weight.
[/quote]

Actually... I thought he has lost weight. He had put on some pounds a while ago and when I saw this video the first thing I noticed is that he had lost much of it. Weight gain a battle he has fought his entire life. For someone 57 years old I'd say he's doing ok.

Best,

Tim
I actually saw this the night it aired several weeks ago. And I've watched the clip a bunch of times. My question is: Does David Letterman really hate Richard Simmons as a person or is their "conflict" just a running gag? In the video, Simmons almost gets up and leaves at one point -- he seems genuinely p****d off. Just was wondering whether these two guys really like each other or not. Any ideas or comments?
[quote]
On 2006-12-24 18:34, hoodrat wrote:
I actually saw this the night it aired several weeks ago. And I've watched the clip a bunch of times. My question is: Does David Letterman really hate Richard Simmons as a person or is their "conflict" just a running gag? In the video, Simmons almost gets up and leaves at one point -- he seems genuinely p****d off. Just was wondering whether these two guys really like each other or not. Any ideas or comments?
[/quote]

Its a running gag. For years now its gone something like this...

Simmons is on to promote a new product and Dave takes a cheap shot at his sexuality and Richard reacts with a surprised look and seems just about ready to leave. He never gives a direct comeback .. instead he looks stunned and remains silent to allow the audience to laugh at Lettermans joke. He's the perfect straight man ( pardon the pun ) for Lettermans humor. Simmons has appeared on Letterman over 35 times.

Best,

Tim
As far as the steamer is concerned. (I haven't seen the clip yet, youtube is giving me problems) I saw that happen to Grahem Kerr (sp?) once. The steamer went <POW> and he dropped to the floor!
The line that Simmons used when he told Letterman that his steamer was NOT a "go-go cart" was priceless! What in the hell? Go-go cart? I've heard of go-carts, but not go-go carts! LOL. Letterman's reaction to that phrase is great -- it really seems like he is making fun of Simmons in a mean-spirited way. Glad to hear, though, that they are (at least) amicable offscreen.
Letterman seems to be making fun of "everybody" in a "mean spirited way." It's gotten him in trouble with more than one celebrity. Apparently he and Simmons make it work. (I remember Richard when he had a local cable show in NYC!)

As far as the steamer incident is concerned. I finally got to see the clip. Yeah, looks like Dave set Richard up. The "exploding" was nothing like what I saw happen to Graham Kerr which I referred to in a earlier post!
SWEET!