(Close Window)
Topic: Uncovered - John Luka's new book
Has anyone got John's new book Uncovered? The collectors editions are already sold out and this book is full of well designed and tested effects.

I've seen John perform Michigan Monte and know you will enjoy his I.T.H. Triumph routine - it has fooled some of the best card guys in magic.

The book is hardbound with 100 pages, and has a ton of professional photographs.

[url=http://insidemagic.com/magicnews/The_News/Latest_News/John_Luka_to_Release_Long-Awaited_Uncovered_200612223052]insidemagic.com[/url]
For those interested in the book and John's material, here are a few comments on the Café' about some of John's work...

Mike Powers commented on Luka's I.T.H. Triumph - this routine is published in Uncovered...

[...] I.T.H. Triumph was performed by John Luka at FFFF this year for Bill Malone who really dug it…… That’s enough validation for me. [...]

Paul Choose on Luka's 3 ball routine which has updates and is re-published in Uncovered...

[...] John Luka has the best version I've ever seen. It opens, believe it or not, with three red balls changing color! then the balance of the routine is done with three differently colored balls, apparently excluding any substitution. It is based on work by Daley, Milt Kort, and others, and is superb. read it in L.I.N.T., the MOST under-appreciated book of the 1990's! [...]

In my opinion Uncovered contains a number of strong effects that are more than worth the $35 purchase price.
I also have found there to be a lot of very useful ideas and routines in this book. Very well done and really worth the investment to learning some very powerful magic.

Brad
I'm loving this book, well produced & writen.
I wanted to let you know that John Luka’s new hardcover book “Uncovered" is just hitting the market. John has been a close-up performer for many years and his selection of material for this book is outstanding. Focusing mainly on card routines (there is one ball trick and one coin routine), this is commercial card magic with a capital C.

John has taken many of the classic plots in Magic (Ambitious Card, No Palm Card to Wallet, Montes, Assemblies, Card to Pocket, Triumph etc) and stripped away the clutter and focused on making the magic crystal clear. I, like many of you, have my favorites of these plots but after reading John’s well written and illustrated book, I have started playing with some of his routines.

His previous release L.I.N.T (Luka in the New Tops) covered material from his column on close-up magic that ran for years in that magazine.

17 Effective routines, doable sleight of hand, wonderful plots and effects … what more could you ask for? I know anyone interested in close-up magic will enjoy “Uncovered" .
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jan 19, 2007 07:56PM)
Sounds great, thanks for sharing.
Thanks to all of you, who posted above, for your kind words regarding my book. I certainly appreciate it.

I am very proud of the magic contained in "Uncovered." I honestly believe it contains a lot of good commercial magic. Over the past few weeks I have had an opportunity to sit down with several magicians to go over the magic in "Uncovered." I am constantly being reminded, by the reactions of those watching, of how good the material is.

Nathan Kranzo asked me to allow him to post one of the effects from "Uncovered" on his website as a special PERK to subscribers of his newsletter. You may wish to sign up for Nathan's newsletter so you can get a free peek at "The Airplane Card." This is my version of "Card To Pocket" based on Vernon and Carlyle's work.

You can sign up for Kranzo's free newsletter by going to his website. http://www.hismagic.com I would be interested in hearing your feedback.

John Luka
I received John's book in the mail last week, and I have read through it. It is full of usable, workable, "doable" magic that will "play" for all kinds of audiences. John doesn't put out junk. Both the material in the book and the production values of the book are of the highest order, and the price is right. I'm very pleased to own a copy, and I highly recommend that you get one, too! John is one of the good guys in the magic world, and his magic is very good, as well!
John just lectured at our local magic club. He's a great performer and did some mind-boggling routines. I picked up his new book...looking forward to reading it.
I'll do a review later but it is a card heavy book, well written, strong material.
Great book.
Do most of these routines need a table, or can they be performed in the hands or in specs hands?

Thanks
A majority of the effects in John's book can be done standing up without a table. Some can be done standing up, but require a a surface, like his coins through table. Excellent material. You can't go wrong with this book.
John's two books are some of my favorite books.