(Close Window)
Topic: Ever seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNQSqiGIxpc

What do you think? If you have a youtube account please rate it and leave a comment if you want! Enjoy
Eric,
If memory serves me correctly, that effect was in a recent Joshua Jay column in Magic magazine. Try looking on the last several months.
Lou
It was that or genii...

ask over there...
It is my effect I published in Genii.... I was just trying to get some feedback...
Excellent job, Eric! Gave you a 5!
Very nice! Great visual magic! Which issue of Genii is it in?
October 2006 Genii...

Thanks for the reviews and ratings!
Awesome.
Now that's real magic! I'm fooled. Will have to get that issue of Genii.
Super Job Eric. Yaya !!
Well done. Very ingenious method.
That was great! I don't get Genii but maybe I'll pick up that issue.
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Jan 5, 2007 01:26PM)
RazorBurn was nice but I really enjoyed your clip "Good Magic". Some great shots!
Thanks so much... I know those 2 videos aren't really appropriate for my website but people seem to like them.. Thanks for the kind words...
Hey Larry did you read it in Genii or did you just find out by watching the vid?
I remember this being talked about and holy hell it was awesome...gotta get this genii mag!!!

johnny
I remember seeing that in the magazine and thinking it looked cool, but this is the first time I've seen it actually done!

Really good! I gave you five stars!
Very nice!
I just rated it a 5, and it is pretty *** good!

Steve
Thanks for the ratings!!! Its amazing how many views I got just from this message on the Café.... crazy!
You made it look 100ox's better than it read. Great job!
Thanks so much!!! I apprecite it..

here is a review from another member......

[quote]
On 2007-01-29 13:47, illusiOHN wrote:
Hey, all.

Finally got a chance to perform this little effect.

Here's a review:

Note: some details are left out to prevent exposure.

My background:

Intermediate performer, mostly perform for family and friends.

Effect:

Appears that a razor turns into a matchbook. See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNQSqiGIxpc

It is nearly impromptu, and definitely appears impromptu.

Teaching:

The Genii article is easy to follow and well photographed. Preparation is very easy.

Difficulty:

Preparation and performance are very easy! Like always, practice is important...but the handling is simple. Probably the biggest consideration is the patter and deciding when and where to perform this effect. In my view, it could be performed as part of a funny routine...or it could be powerfully performed impromptu-style when actually shaving.

Angles:

Angles are generous since this effect would normally be performed with people generally in front of you. You can't have people behind you, but they wouldn't be able to see your performance if they were behind you anyway! Because people aren't expecting the transformation, people burning your hands and the razor is does not appear to be a problem.

Performance/reaction/patter:

I partially shaved (for real), then got my wife's attention, and then told my wife that I might have to borrow some of her razors because "these razors keep hurting me and giving me razor burn." She started to ask "what brand are they?"...as I was performing the effect. She then started to answer her own question, reading the gas station name on the matchbook...

...and then it sunk in that it was now a matchbook! She smiled and laughed! "My husband, the magician!"

If I never perform this effect again, it was worth the one performance.

It is very visual. It is unexpected. Because it is unexpected, it is very powerful.

Bang for the buck:

If you don't have the magazine, buying this issue of Genii just for this one effect is worth it! And, you'll get some great bonuses, like a very interesting article on the movie "The Illusionist."

Thanks for sharing this effect, Eric! Simple, yet brilliant.

Ohn
[/quote]
Wow, that looked like real match-ic. Great job Eric.

Rick
Very, very good Eric, top notch!

Clark
Match-ic..........Beautiful!!!!!!! Thanks again Rick...

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Keep rating it on youtube!! Its getting a lot of views! Creating a lot of buzz
Very Nice!
By the way... you guys know this is totally impromptu huh?? Takes 20 seconds to make.. All you need is a matchbook................

that should get a few thinking.
Any plans on releasing this? I would absolutely love to perform this...PM me if you are. I will be the first to buy it.

Steven
That was really really slick bro!
Cant get Youtube on a Government Computer. What is the effect? And Eric you got my Vote.
Are you trying to say that you posted over 4000 posts on this site through your goverment computer!? hehehe
Almost. LOL for somereason they have not blocked this site. Which for me would be torture.
That was like real magic, totally awesome 10/10

Austin
Hey Eric,

I saw this thread and dug out my October 2006 Genii. I stayed up 'til 2:00 in the morning trying to find matches laying around the house. I shave my head, so when I saw your video, I got a lot of great ideas. I'm not sure how I missed it in Genii the first time.

Anyway, have you found a particular book of matches that you like the best? If so, can the be purchased anywhere?

Awesome job man. I love it!

Eric
Hey Eric

glad you liked it! I can see how you missed it in the magazine because it dosent look very convincing seeing the method before seeing the effect performed.

All matchbooks work beautifully for this. The only thing you have to experiment with is the color. I like yellow on the outside and the traditional white on the inside. Makes a nice contrast. Let me know how it goes!! You'll love doing it in the mirror over and over!! cheers
Eric sorry man, I have watched and watched and don't see it. IM gonna have to back order the Mag. It doesn't help that I have no Nicotine. Watched your videos on your website, nice I like it.
It seems people have been having a hard time to find this issue of Genii.. I obviously want you to buy it...

but on the other hand.. I really want to say "just get a pack of matches right now, ITS ALL YOU NEED"

;)
Genii has great stuff every month guys. You should just subscribe. Eric - thanks for making this a nice contribution to Genii instead of a $20 instant download from some wannabe streetmagic website. Well done!
Now that was cool! I don't remember seeing that effect in that issue, but then, it was SOOOOOOOO long ago. The patter was great, and totally unexpected! I was thinking you were going to have a cigarette appear in your mouth, so I was caught totally off guard by the matchbook!

I love it!
Definitely going to have to track down that issue of Genii. I'll make a call to US Toy first thing in the morning.
If you guys want a better source to find it.. Its on the new "Underground Jam" dvd...
Way to Generate some UJ Buzz my brotha! Rockin' effect by the way. I'm glad it made it's way on the DVD.