(Close Window)
Topic: Repairing a PK ring
So... it happened... I broke my Black's Magic PK ring... :S

It's not too much. Just a chunk, about the size of 1/5 of the ring. Is there a way to solder it back ? glue it even? Or do I have to buy a new one absolutely?

I mean, if it's not perfect looking, I can always wear that spot under my finger and nobody will notice...
Any ideas? thanks...
I'd suggest taking it to your local jeweler and having them repair it. It should not cost very much and it will be as good as new.

Mark. :)
I would be careful applying heat to it. I tried soldering a mag... and it lost it's power.
Ray
Some glues will harm a magnet as well. Gorilla and the like.
You're sure a jeweler will know what to do to a mag ring? :S
Louis, send James Clark (he goes by jclark on the Café) a PM. He visits the Café quite regularly, he will most likely see this post and respond to you anyway. When it comes to customer satisfaction regarding his Black's PK rings, he's top notch.
He suggested crazy glue. I'll give it a try.... *crosses fingers*
Let me know how it goes. When my ring inevitably breaks, I want some assurance I can fix it.
So, the good news is that Crazy Glue works. The fragment is now back in place and holds "I think" pretty firmly.

The bad news is that when it breaks, the polarity of the fragment changes. So the only way to replace both ends in their matching spot on the ring is by figthing a finger twitching battle with laws of physics and magnetism... and with the crazy glue in the melee, I decided to go the easy way. I was lucky that both ends were pretty much the same so they fitted well on the other side. Also, now there is 2 cracks on my ring. I'll simply wear it so the finger hides the cracks.

If other problems arise, I'll let you know
It's easy to get a chip on the ring as it happened to me when I forgot that I was wearing a PK ring and banged my hand against a hard surface. Luckily I was able to fix it using crazy glue like the folks suggested in this thread! :)
As I was practicing something, I hit my ring instead of my palm with a heavy glass. Luckily it's hard to lose a piece as it stuck right back to the rest of the ring :)
Louis, as I mentioned; that would work for a quick fix, but I am still happy to replace it mate; just let me know. Not a big deal. :)
Just as a physics note... the polarity does NOT change when a magnet splits longitudinally. It stays the same, and that's the problem. When you try to glue it back, the North pole end of the piece is smack up against the North pole end of the ring; likewise with the South pole ends. Since like poles repel, you have a heck of a fight on your hands trying to get them back together.

If a magnet splits across instead of lengthwise along the lines of force, your job is easier. One side of the break is South and the other is North, so the broken pieces naturally attract.

Thank you, Dr. Science. :)
Now that is great service! I will purchase a Blacks PK Ring now just because I respect customer service like that!