(Close Window)
Topic: Drawn Apart by Chase Hubler - reviews?
Anyone have a review for this or own it?

Looks very cool:

http://www.imperfect-reality.com/imperfect-reality/drawn_apart.html
I have this and love it. Its really simple and well thought out.
I would definitely recommend this if you liked what you saw in the trailer.
Hello, I am one of the guys who have worked on this for Chase Hubler.

Chase died back in october, as some of you may know, while this was still on preorder. We took a step back and came to a mutal agreement within the team that Chase would have wanted this released. So, here it is!

There are a few variations taught on the download (dvd is coming).

These go from different ways to get in and out of the effect, routines to do with the princple, and of course, Chases's original handling.

There are other effects out there that might look simalar, but the one that really stands this one out in my eyes is the fact that in one variation you can literally borrow the paper, AND the pen to perform this. 1 peice of paper, no switches, no funny stuff.

In the forum of imperfect, you can find a little convincer that ive stumbled on, to where at ANY time during the performance, the ink can be felt, and they will feel nothing, again with no switches and no funny business.

This is direct and to the point, like magic should be.

If anyone has ANY questions at all, please don't hesitate to get ahold of me eaither through imperfect-reality's or through here.. My email address is

Jesse Stickley Magic at verizon dot net

Remove the spaces and the phonics and you got it ;)

Jesse
Oh wow, I'm definitely buying it then. I originally thought it looked too similar to Fraud but if your convincer is legit then it stands out enough to warrant a purchase.

I was surprised to find no threads about this effect on the Cafť.

[quote]
On 2007-01-11 14:56, Jesse Stickley wrote:
In the forum of imperfect, you can find a little convincer that ive stumbled on, to where at ANY time during the performance, the ink can be felt, and they will feel nothing, again with no switches and no funny business.
[/quote]
Hey guys, I just wanted to post my review on drawn apart. I love this effect and I know you will too.

DRAWN APART REVIEWED

Quality: 10/10 The Effect is taught very well on the video. It outlines step by step what you must do in detail so you are not left with any questions.

Effect: 10/10 The Effect is incredible. Writing on a piece of paper and being able to move the permanent marker that is embedded into the fibers of the papers is impossible to do. Your spectators have no idea about what will be happening, and canít believe their eyes once they see the ink move. Your spectators can even feel the ink ANYTIME during the performance.

Method: 9/10 After watching the demo over and over, I could not figure it out. Very surprising to see how it is accomplished. The method is so practical for everyday magic that Iím thinking of other applications to use it for.

Teaching: 10/10 The Teaching on this Video leaves you with no questions. It is taught in such a manner, you will be able to perform it like a professional as soon as you finish watching it.

Difficulty: 3/10 The effect is so simple to perform that I could let a7 year old watch the tutorial and he would be performing it perfectly with an hour of practice. For Pros, you will be performing this every chance you get once you know the secrets to its performance.

Price: 10/10 This Effect is worth its weight in gold. Once you see it performed, it could easily be worth double the price. Once you own the effect, you will find it to be priceless.

Overall: 12/10 Whether you are a seasoned professional or a beginner to magic, you will want to own this. The reactions you get with this are worth it. One girl it was performed for asked me if I could autograph it for her and then told me that she would like to tell her friends about it, but she would be too scared to tell them what happened because they would think that she is crazy.

This Effect is an impossibility that is made reality. Your audience will be speechless!

Jon Maronge
Also look for don't lose your head by Alan Rorrison.......www.alanrorrison.com
Hello Alan,

I agree, if you haven't seen-it already checkout "Don't Lose Your Head" by Alan Rorrison it's a wonderful little effect.

Peace,

-Erick
Once you learn the technique, it really is a nice way to create your own effects. I recently put together a system using it with a gospel angle. In it, Jesus is drawn in a tomb, a rock rolls over the tomb, rolls away and Jesus rises out of it...good stuff.
Ill say thank you for using my system...... alan
I've known Alan for a few good years now and he has been using his baby "Don't loose your head" for as long as Iíve known him. He's sent me numerous progression videos and each one looking better. Alan is extremely creative as some of you will know (and a very select few will know from his DVD) Alan is very saddened that people have taken his idea and used it, very minimum they could do is credit Alan. Please support the creator and buy the original.

Peace Out,
M:C
[quote]
On 2007-01-14 21:09, Matt Colman wrote:
I've known Alan for a few good years now and he has been using his baby "Don't loose your head" for as long as Iíve known him. He's sent me numerous progression videos and each one looking better. Alan is extremely creative as some of you will know (and a very select few will know from his DVD) Alan is very saddened that people have taken his idea and used it, very minimum they could do is credit Alan. Please support the creator and buy the original.

Peace Out,
M:C
[/quote]

Alan is credited, as so are we on his site. Please don't make insinuations on what you may "think"

Jesse
Do not discredit an honest opinion....
First and formost let me say something. The imperfect team and my self have sat down and worked this all out. I will endorse there no problem. That will not bother me as thay can have it. But don't discredit an honest opinion. that's just not nice
I have some questions:

Is the method the same for Don't Lose Your Head and for Drawn Apart (ie- can both be done on either a sheet of paper or the back of a card?)? I will probably purchase one of them in the next few days, but I'd like a little more information on both if there are any differences.

Is there a problem with your 'store' Alan? It says 'Click on a thumbnail to purchase'. I tried clicking on some of the thumbnails to see prices, but all the thumbnails seem to be linked to the page I'm already on.

Drawn Apart is a WMV download. It says "Offered in *WMV format, other formats available on request." What other formats are available?
The methods are fundamentaly the same but ill say buy drawn just now.... The main page of my site does say the store is down. Im workin on a new dvd that will have don't loose among other things on there. as I said. its there let them have it
I've purchased both Drawn Apart, and Don't Lose Your Head.. Yes.. Both effects ARE SIMMILIAR. but there are MAJOR differences.

While "Don't Lose Your Head" is a great effect, it is a no brainer that
the Drawn Apart DVD is surperior to this card trick. Here are some comparisons

don't Lose Your Head :
a 10 minute instructional video explaining the method behind
this card trick

Drawn Apart:
a 2 hour production DVD with tons of ideas, routines, and
variations of the Drawn Apart effect.

Don't Lose Your Head:
An awesome effect, but can be very obvious if not performed right
The signed card can not be handed back in it's Altered State (The head
has to be moved back to where it was originally.. To me, it lacks magic)

Drawn Apart:
A Devastating Effect.. The signed paper/card/business card
can be handed back immediatly after manipulating the ink.. In it's
altered state!
(There is no switch after you move the head! Read that again ;
There is no switch after you manipulate the ink)

Don't Lose Your Head:
One Card Trick

Drawn Apart:
Has some very cool routines!! My favorit is drawing a picture of a magician
with a rabbit in his hat.. Then the rabbit is pulled out of the hat
in the form of a sponge rabbit.. Perfect lead into a sponge rabbit routine,
and of course.. the signed magician with the top hat can be given to your
spectator... I love this one, Thanks Vlad.

Now, I'm not saying that Alans effect isn't good.. IT IS GREAT! But after watching both videos it is clear that much more thought, and work
was put into this Drawn Apart project. Chase was an awesome guy, and he will be missed for sure.

RIP Chase.. 1987-FOREVER :)
Hi Xpilot,

I have a Mac and the wmv file I downloaded only runs on a Windows system PC. I contacted Imperfect Reality and told them my problem... they are producing a mov format which should work fine for any other Mac users out there.

Regards, Steve
Hi,
I am very interested in drawn apart and wanted to ask about the difficulty level. Is it similar ot Fraud, which I love? Is it impromptu, i.e. can it be done just while sitting around with the guys/gals or is advance prep necessary? Not looking for exposure, just trying to sort out the uses for this effect b/c sort of expensive for one trick. Thanks in advance.
Thanks to everybody that gave answers. Looks like I'll buy Drawn in the next couple days.
Nice looking effects.

Thanks for the reviews and comparisons so far.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jan 16, 2007 01:52AM)
Thanks for the reviews and inputs . . .
[quote]
On 2007-01-15 20:50, samdan wrote:
Hi,
I am very interested in drawn apart and wanted to ask about the difficulty level. Is it similar ot Fraud, which I love? Is it impromptu, i.e. can it be done just while sitting around with the guys/gals or is advance prep necessary? Not looking for exposure, just trying to sort out the uses for this effect b/c sort of expensive for one trick. Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

The setup is almost as simple as drawing a stick figure.. It's not 100% impromptu of course, but it's pretty close to it. It is very quick, and easy to do (Unlike Fraud..CHRIST.. Definatly Unlike Fraud!).. The DVD has a few different routines, and I love all of them. Everyone who knows me, knows I'm not a big fan of the "One Trick DVDs"... But IMHO, Drawn Apart will be the best "one trick dvd" out next to Wayne Houchin's "Stigmata"..

And sorry for my ignorance, everyone. Got a mind like a steel trap.
Chase Hubler was born in 1989. What a tragedy :(
Hey guys,

To those who have the file, how big is the downloadable instructional video?

Also, are there any differences in content between the DVD and download?

Thanks!

Logan
Not sure how big it is, I don't have it on this computer.. but the content is the same.. except, with the download you don't get the bonus features
Did I really just compare drawn apart to stigmata? I meant to say "SinFul".. Excuse me again please. All these new DVDs coming out are confusing me.

Anyway.. The sentence should read:

IMHO, Drawn Apart will be the best "one trick dvd" out next to Wayne Houchin's "Sinful"..
GeorgeMeck,

Where is the DVD w/bonuses available?

At the Imperfect Reality site, I only see the download.

What are the bonuses?

Thanks.
The bonus features will be outtakes, "bloopers", full performances (the download and the instructional part of the dvd have limited performances) and some other things..

The dvd will be ready in about a week and a half, to two weeks.

Jesse
Thanks, Jesse.
I bileve itll have bonuses n stuff. Keep your eyes open for it
The download filesize is 288 megabytes.

Jesse
I tried to watch the demo but it stops after 1:16 but I did like what I saw.
I really enjoy this and have been practicing since I got it, I think if you like the premise then get it...you won't be dissappointed.
Pardon me as this may not be exactly appropriate but having not ever heard of Chase.......what happened? Just curious as I'm only a few years older than he was and I cherish the years GOD has given me. I apologize if this question upsets anyone....please don't bash me as I'm only curious.
You want to might PM for that info...if it hasn't been mentioned yet, it may be private.
Thank you for the advice.
With there being quite a few folks on this thread that knew of Chase if someone could PM me about what happened to this young man I thank you. If this information is private I whole heartedly respect those wishes to be kept as such. Having said that Drawn Apart looks fantastic and am sad to hear such a creative mind cut short. R.I.P. Chase Hubler.
It appears on the Imperfect Reality website, so I would assume it is not private. It reports he was in an auto accident and died from his injuries.

Regards, Steve
What's the pricepoint of the DVD, and will it be sold through retailers or only on your site?

danke!

[quote]
On 2007-01-16 13:26, Jesse Stickley wrote:
The bonus features will be outtakes, "bloopers", full performances (the download and the instructional part of the dvd have limited performances) and some other things..

The dvd will be ready in about a week and a half, to two weeks.

Jesse
[/quote]
Well, it didn't start off all that great as there was a problem of some sort with the download and it took a while before I got my license. However I was in contact with Jesse at "imperfect" and eventually it all worked out fine. Thanks Jesse...sorry for all of the emails! :)

Regarding the effect.... It really is cool! At first I was not so sure as the principal is used in another effect I do A LOT and I think in some ways the other effect is stronger. That said, they offer many variations and I found at least a couple that will really work for me and may be just as strong. You may find many more.

Now I have only performed this once so far...and that was for family(tough room)...and they were floored and really enjoyed it. Trust me, they'd tell me if they didn't :)

It's easy to perform but as easy as it is... as with all effects you need to put in your time to make sure you present a miracle!

Preparation really isn't a big issue....although there is some. I like impromptu effects and there is one handling I tend to like more than the others as I think it will appear to be totally impromptu. That's not to knock the other numerous handlings or variations that are offered. This really gets down to personal taste I guess.

I have been playing with it quite a bit and I am anxious to get over to their form. Even with the number of variations they offer, there is room to be creative with this. I'm sure there are a bunch more creative folks than I coming up with some wonderful ideas as I type!

Best to all,
Bobby
Nice review, BK! Thanks!
I sent Alan Rorrison a message regarding buying his version (as his shopping cart seems to be down), but for some reason he didn't reply.

Iain.
I bought drawn apart on sunday and downloaded the file. it didn't work, so I contacted the email address given to me in the paypal form and jesse as well. now it's thursday and nobody replied yet ... :(
The Imperfect Reality team usually responds rather quickly to emails about their effects and handle them quickly. I'm sure one of the guys will get in touch with you soon.

Jon
I habs just downloaded.
Everything went fast and without problems.
Small tip, Windows and the Mediaplayer on the newest state hold.
Looks after updates.
I have Windows XP home and the Mediaplayer 11.
And it runs.
After download maybe firewall switch off.
I had, in any case, no problems.
Download time 1 hour.

The quality of the video goes from property to satisfactory.
The tone is OK.

Everything is exactly explained and it became really strives itself given.
Very nice routine!
And very easily.

Am exceedingly contented, and recommends it.
Still waiting for my notification...is the Mac version ready yet?
Well, now that I have downloaded and watched the video, I can write a little review.

the method itself was not new to me since I own chastain criswell's deface for quite a while. I still wanted to have drawn apart because of all the different variations explained in it. and I was not disappointed. there are really many methods explained to achieve the effect. most practical, some definitely not.

the video quality reaches from poor to average, but everything that needs to be seen can be seen. :) definitely a home brewed production. the sound is ok too.

what I have to praise is the length of the video (due to all the variations explained) and the teaching. nothing is left covered (well, maybe a simple explanation of a switch might have added a bit to it) and anybody can immediately start practicing. the method itself is easy to handle, so it all depends on how you perform it.

good download, I don't regret it (only the windows media license stuff).

but I don't know why nobody offers explanations how to do this on checkered or lined paper. it's so easy and obvious.

gets a 8/10 from me since the quality could be better (would be a 9/10 then) and 10/10 would be perfect, real magic, which isn't possible. ;)
[quote]
On 2007-01-25 20:01, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Still waiting for my notification...is the Mac version ready yet?
[/quote]

I received a PM from Jesse and he said he was working on it still.

Regards, Steve
Is this effect coming out on dvd and if so when? Are any sleights required?
Yachanin- thanks. I'll relax now and let them to it in their own time.
They really should get this download issue to a point where it causes a little less aggravation.

Bk
http://www.alanrorrison.com/dlyh/index.html
Wow. Thanks, Alan. The new version looks very good. Old one is good too:)
[quote]
On 2007-02-06 18:23, Cameron Francis wrote:
Wow. Thanks, Alan. The new version looks very good. Old one is good too:)
[/quote]

I purchased the new version, but he refunded my money. Have no clue why.

Phil
I had seen the demo video for Drawn Apart quite some time ago, and was quite impressed by the illusion.

I had no idea that Chase had passed away, this is both shocking and tragic. To Chase's family and friends, my heart goes out to you; I know what it is like.

I recently viewed Alan's demo video as well, and it too looks fantastic.

I do not own either product, but I just wanted to voice my impressions on this (these) effect(s).

Very visual, very striking.

As soon as I get my hands on either of these products, I will write a formal review. Until then.

Fields
After the manipulation is this immediately examinable? and does this have to be done on a blank piece of paper or can it be done on lined paper or a newspaper?
I just recieved, and watched, Don't Lose Your Head by Alan Rorrison.

I am speechless. Alan sent me two separate videos, for two separate methods. Both methods are simply brilliant. They are simple, direct, and extremely visual. Not only are the methods effective, they are also very clever. I couldn't help but be astounded at the level of observation that is displayed in how clever, practical, and unorthodox the methods were.

As far as the actual video(s) go...

Alan is a small time, independant creator, and as such, is incapable of producing a video of quality on par with 'the big guys'. If you have seen any of Alan's other efforts, you know what to expect here. While the quality of video isn't quite there, the teaching is.

Although a painfully simple trick, Alan goes through great effort to get the finer points across, which is appreciated. The one issue I had was with Alan's accent. While I found it easy to understand what he was saying, due to the audio quality, and Alan's accent, some may find him difficult to understand.

There isn't a lot of material covered here; Alan explains the effect, and that's it. No bonus effects, or alternate effects. He speaks briefly on some ideas, but none are displayed or taught. Truth be told, anyone with 1/2 an imagination will see countless oppurtunities to use these concepts in different ways. It really is that versatile.

In closing, I must say that I do not know what is going on between the two parties involved, and have no affiliation with either. I hope that this situation remains civil, because I would hate to see such a beautiful piece of magic lost to obscurity.

Highly Reccommended.

Fields
[quote]
On 2007-02-07 19:23, mudd wrote:
After the manipulation is this immediately examinable? and does this have to be done on a blank piece of paper or can it be done on lined paper or a newspaper?
[/quote]
it can be done on a newspaper (??!?) chckered or lined paper, but drawn apart doesn't cover that. but it's not hard to think that step further after you have watched the video.
as far as I remember, every version of drawn apart can be immediately examined, yes. I only use one, though.
So the new version of Alan's DLYH isn't available yet, right?
[quote]
On 2007-02-08 16:14, Cameron Francis wrote:
So the new version of Alan's DLYH isn't available yet, right?
[/quote]

Hi Cameron,

Alan's website says it will be released March 1st. It appears it is available to pre-order right now.

The new version looks very good (I liked the old version too) and in some situations maybe more deceptive too. I really like Alan's material and hope he releases more of his magic soon.

Iain.
Got it. Thanks, Iain. I like Alan's material, too. It's very practical. I still think his Impromptu Coin In Bottle is very underrated. Of course, now that Cap Trap, most other cap or coin in bottle effects will be forgotten:).
Ill be honest. I was anoyed......... http://www.alanrorrion.com.... I fought back. I gave them my old and hit with the new. as I have said before. "old man do me on it..... your done"

Alan
Huh?
MAC folks: The download version won't run on your Mac even tho you have the WMV-fer-Mac program. It's for WMV ON a Windows machine.

Get the DVD instead.
Where do you get the dvd? What is difficulty level for a hobbyist?
This is one of my best purchases in a long time. I've been using this quite a lot and it really hits them hard!
The website say's "Unavailable Right Now"
Does anyone know when it will be available?

magiclee
Hi All

Its worth noting Alan has a new version of this, with a completely different method to the original DLYH and Drawn Apart. Check out the demo at http://www.alanrorrison.com

Cheers

Paul
Hey guys, just wanted to updated anyone patiently waiting with some great news. Drawn Apart is back up and running!

And now that I've taken over full operations of the website, I'm making sure that everything is working like clockwork. So if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at imperfectreality @ gmail.com or through the help form on the website.

Lot's of exciting projects coming in the near future as well, so visit the site for news and updates. http://www.imperfectreality.com

Vlad
I have been waiting for a replacement copy of Drawn apart since it first came out,I received a copy that did not work & was promised a replacement.

Jon Maronge had been promising me for almost 4 years that he would send me a copy.

After all that time lying to me-I sent it, I forgot to send it, I will send you another one, I forgot to send it,I sent you one............................etc.

I finally gave up.

I hope it all works out for you.

Mike