(Close Window)
Topic: Magic for barter
I bartered a magic show (kids birthday party) for a complete web site design.
Anyone else ever barter magic for something?
I have bartered a few times. They have bartering clubs in my area. I am not a member, but a few people I know are. But if the deal is right, bartering is fine.
Flora had a cassette called "getting more than cash" which suggested that very thing.
I sometimes stand by the freeway with a sign that says, "Will do magic for food."

I haven't got many kids shows that way, though.
That's actually how I started out professionally. I would barter magic, at an Art Opening, for Art with local artists. Worked great and I got some really nice pieces out of it.

jamie
[quote]
On 2007-01-15 02:52, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
That's actually how I started out professionally. I would barter magic, at an Art Opening, for Art with local artists. Worked great and I got some really nice pieces out of it.

jamie
[/quote]

Brilliant idea!
I used to do restaurant magic and a portion of my fee was in gift certificates. That was fine with me. I was young, just starting out in magic, and I used to go out to eat a lot.
Yep...Traded a performance for a website, occasionally will trade a show for vending space at a festival...
I think it works great!
Gwyd
Here is a tip I do at festivals and fairs I perform at every season. I always get asked to do strolling magic between my stage shows. Because of this, I am walking around and performing various shows at various spots.

Now if you know anything about festivals and working them, vendors usually pay for the spots they are working at the festival. You must be careful not to block their area or effect their traffic flow. If you do, you can get some very hostile vendors on your tail.

So I do something that not only combats that, but also ends up getting me a lot of free stuff along the way.

Before I set up any where to perform a strolling style show, I go and talk to each vendor in the area. I introduce myself kindly and mention what I do and that I am hired by the festival. I also state that would it be ok if I performed magic near their area and use their name and products and tlak about them in my performance. that way I can try and draw attention to them. I have yet to have a vendor say no.

In this light, I am almost working my festival strolling shows like a mini trade show. by the time I am done the mini-show, the vendors LOVE my wife and i. We have stated their name of their company and encouraged people to go over there after the show.

Just from doing this, we have received many free dinners, arts and crafts, paintings and the list goes on. They really appreciate us doing what we do for them and it makes my life a lot easier.

Just an idea.

Kyle
I also teach magic lessons for beginners, and I'd love to find a massage therapist who would exchange magic lessons for massage sessions.
-My first Computer and Printer (early 1990's) for trade show work.
-Portable Phone
-Sporting goods/clothes
-Sungalsses
-glasses
-Set of four Hockey Tickets
-Web Design services
-Photography services
-Video services
-Advertising
-Trade Show Booth Space

It's important to note that the above were not flat out 1 for 1 exchanges.

Instead, they were "thrown in" by the client to make up for the difference, when they "really" could not afford the "full price" of my performance fees.

I prefer to get my "full fee", and if I don't I "walk away... unless (on rare occasions) the company has something of value to offer (that I "happen" to be in the market to purchase), and they offer it in exchange and make up the balance.
Jon, that's a nice list of goodies, especially the hockey tickets. I've also gotten advertising thrown in when they can't afford my normal fee.
When people feed me I ALWAYS do an encore. To Italian people food equals love.
Al Angello
[quote]
On 2007-01-17 10:08, Al Angello wrote:
When people feed me I ALWAYS do an encore. To Italian people food equals love.
Al Angello
[/quote]

...and you do your Encore, when?...hopefully "after" you've eaten --not during! (lol)

That is unless making the food disappear "is" your encore! (lol, again)
At a show at a fancy steakhouse, things were running late and the host of the party offered me a meal while I waited for the group to finish theirs before I could start the show. I had the most amazing fish dinner with entree and wine, mm mm, definitely worth the wait! Then again, at birthday parties they are always pushing birthday cake on me, and I don't like bday cake, so I have to make some excuse for refusing it.
Mmmm... I'm getting seriously hungry just reading this post Todd!

When refusing birhtday cake (which I virtually always do), I simply make a lighthearted joke with the parents(so as not to offend them). I thank them sincerely for their kind offer and often comment on how nice the cake looks, but I quickly point out how if I ate birthday cake at every party I perfomed at, I would be "HUGE". They laugh and nod and accept my decline of cake without insult.

...Actually, there was one exception when the parents were very hurt and incensed... as a result they threw the cake at my face scoring a bullseye!

... but it tasted great!

To tell you the truth, I couldn't believe it... to tell you the truth, you shouldn't believe it... Never happened, never will... I hope (lol!!!):rotf:

For our corporate shows, that requires us to arrive hours before show time and leave 90 minutes following the show, because our "day is long", and we don't have time to grab a bite on our own, we have a clause in our contract that states thta the client agrees to furnish the performer(s) with a meal (which I almost always have "after" my performance).

Many enjoyable and top-qulaity meals have been enjoyed this way. The chef is almost always agreeable with keeping our plates "hot" until after the show when we are ready for our meal(s).

The client never seems to mind, and even prides themselves in offering a fine meal in appreciation, to not only the magicians , but also the other entertainers (ie. the band and or DJ).

For walkaround work, we never ask nor do we expect to be fed.

Jonathan
My mother would be insulted if someone turned down her food, food equals love, so I ALWAYS eat birthday cake, and I ALWAYS sing happy birthday ALWAYS. It's my job.
Al Angello
Message: Posted by: AragorntheMagician (Jan 17, 2007 10:38PM)
Have bartered for:
Advertising
Year's supply of ink for InkJet
Decals & Magnetic Signs for the VAN
Coloring Pages Art Work
Printing of Coloring Pages
Professional Photo Shoot
Membership in Several Organizations (ie - Chamber of Comm, Art Council)
Set of Massages
Booth's at Event Fairs
AirBrush Classes for myself & "the assistant"
Have stayed away from the "Barter Clubs" because I think the joining fee & monthly fees excessive. All of these were gotten by mentioning during my business conversation that, "Oh yeah, I also Barter". If they express an interest I mention that they could either use me themselves or give me away to Charity and they would get the "write-off". My cartoonist who I get 3 new coloring pages from each year gives me to a Charity he likes where I also get Great exposure. Of course it helped that my wife was Greek where bartering is a way of life....lol.

Yours,
Aragorn, "do I have a deal for you", the Magician
Aragorn,

Great ide about giving you away to a charity!
Nice list, Aragorn! And please give my regards to Gandalf, if you see him.
One more thing I "bartered" for.
I auctioned off one of my shows for PBS Television auction. The trade was simple enough- Public Exposure. This was back when I still did mostly kidshow stuff. I wound up being in studio and on air for most of an hour in front of a higher class yuppie demographic that has $.
I got a lot of work out of it. Great advertisement.
And I got a great swag bag out of it. I didn't pay to go out to eat or to see a movie for about a year.
One of the few times I did a gig that was strictly for the sake of being seen. The only time it actually worked.
And it was for a good cause, so I was able to write off the show on my taxes.
They do these about once a year where I am. Well worth looking into.
Gwyd
Bartering is a good thing, but beware, word gets a round and then people think your cheep or work for anything. Schools, Day Cares, and Churches, too, take advance of this. If bartering, make it worth your time and the same value in trade. 29 years plus, we falling in that trap. You get the job for barter, and some one will see you, and I am getting payed in barter. You can not pay your bills that way, trust me.
Fred K Magic
I got my website by doing a show for my web designer's 50th birthday party.

I tried to tell her I charged 1,000 so I'd want a 1,000 website, but she was having none of it. (She must have known I only charge around 300, lol!)
I find it far better to get paid very well to do what I do, then find the best bargain for what I want to buy.

It depends on what your actual show price really is.