(Close Window)
Topic: Copperfield Rare Illusions
Hey - does anyone have any stories of Copperfield performing routines in his live show, that never made it to the specials? For example, the Assistant's Revenge he performed on talk shows in the 70's, but never did live.

I'm not talking about the current years, because, obviously, there hasn't been a special for a while. I'm wondering more about the 80's and 90's.

Any good stories out there?
I recall seeing Copperfield do an anti-smoking public service announcement many years ago...back when he was still wearing the black velvet dinner jacket with the rose in his lapel, which should tell you how long ago it was.

In it, he presented a sort of mirror-based version of the Zig Zag and removed the center of (if memory serves) Morgan Fairchild. Due to the method, that one could never have been done live. Although not a camera trick, the angle and camera position had to be just right to film it.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Jan 26, 2007 10:29PM)
I believe that you can view that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XCzIvA3-jU

And why are you bagging on black velvet dinner jackets Dan? :heehee:

I can remember DC doing the cigarette through quarter trick on the Tom Snyder Tomorrow show. When he would take a puff off of the cigarette, he would say, "You have relatives in zee old country?"

I don't know why I remember that...
Thanks guys - I remember those!

I remember seeing him perform Cig Through Quarter in Terror Train also.

I'm sure there were some illusions that were tested out in live shows, but ultimately dropped. I wonder what those were.
Cig. through coin did appear on one of his specials.

Not sure about this one, but on his first live tour he did the standard invisible deck, did he ever do this on a special??

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
This is a bit off topic but I remember seeing him live in Houston when he was still doing Harrary's (sp) Nine-Slicer. At the end of the routine as he tilted the box back into the vertical position a few of the sections began to fall down the track and the assistant (Spina?) was not in place yet so it was obvious that the box was empty. I don't think that the "lay audience" noticed any thing at all, but I would have loved to hear what D.C. was shouting to his off stage assistants! Luckily the mic was off! He looked pretty mad.
If I could read lips...

Peace,
nola
Blair - I do remember hearing that DC did the Invisible Deck - it wasn't on any of the specials, but there is a write up of it in one of the articles on him.

Nola - interesting story about the Cutting in Nine - you're right, it would have been interesting to hear his thoughts about that mistake, which sounds more like a case of prop malfunction than crew error.

Any others?
Did anyone ever see the vanishing and reappearing necklace? It appeared briefly in his Beyond Imagination tour.
Live numerous time I have seen him do the "spectator cut ropes trick/ no cut scissors/etc.".
One time the girl from the audiences' garter must have popped because her thigh-highs fell/drooped down, and he spend 20 minutes on the trick because she kept pulling them up ( he also was having a field day with this joke wise)
Larry
Ps.Online (google video) you can see some of his old specials.
But one, Alcatraz, is not available and it has 2 tricks that I only remember seeing on the special (and would like to see again-hint hint nudge nudge).
One was the duck cannon!
I've gotten some PM's about the vanishing necklace. Here is what I remember. A girl is invited on stage. He removes her necklace and makes it disappear (via a TT). Then DC and the girl both hold up a cloth in front of her neck and instantly the necklace reappears around her neck. Both DC and the girls hands were far away from her neck.
Wonder why this was taken out of the show?
I recall reading in an interview that DC always had an invisible deck in the wings ready to go just in case something went wrong and he had to fill time.
I also saw him do the Dot Card (What's Next) and T&R Traffic Ticket to fill time in a live show. He was buying time for the Buzz Saw, and when they finally did the trick the timer was not working. He did the "filler" tricks poorly, I might add -- at least, not what I would consider up to Copperfield standards.

Does anyone remember him doing a rather tasteless bit on stage with a pig? I saw him around 1990 in Iowa. He had a pig wander on stage for no apparent reason, deficated, and left. He called the pig "Elvis." He did not do a trick with the pig. I always thought that the pig would turn up later in a TV bit, but it never resurfaced. Weird ... anyone recall this?
Hi Starrpower,

I heard that the pig was originally used at the end of the Big Black Box illusion (before the 3 dogs were put in the show). Maybe he was testing out bits with the pig, before the Black Box was officially in the show.

In regards to the Dot Card and T&R, did he do these back to back? How could the audience see the T&R - it sounds like a piece of close-up?
Well, they WERE filler. Obviously, there was a problem with the timer, and he decided that it wasn't a big enough glitch to scrap the effect.

The T&R was visual enough -- I seem to remember long strips, but time alters our perception and memory -- but he turned his back to the audience and walked upstage during the bundle switch. I thought it was terrible showmanship, but I give him a pass 'cause he probably rarely did the thing. And, yes, he did them back-to-back to fill time (and I think it may have even been on the same show as the pig. He did not have the Black Box in the show.)
[quote]
On 2007-01-28 12:35, Illusion77 wrote:
Wonder why this was taken out of the show?
[/quote]

It only got a so so reaction. Plus it took David almost a minute to take the girls necklace off. He kept saying what is the combination for this thing." I'm not sure what method he was using. It was definately a fooler.
I also saw a "Jail Escape" that David did onstage around the time of his Alcatraz special. I was one of those invited onstage to examine the "jail." It was a cage that used the same method of passing through the barred jail door that he used in the special (at least, it appeared to be the same. I know the stage method, and I'm guessing it was the same as on the special .)
Hi Starrpower,

I remember seeing this also, but have very vague recollections of it. Can you share more about your experience onstage?

Also - do you remember which vanish DC used at the end of that routine?
I don't know what vanish you mean. He placed his arms through the bars, lifted a cloth ala "Spirit Seance," and stepped forward through the barred jail doors.

As far as being onstage, David's assistant was quite adept at guiding precisely where I should test the bars. I purposely reached where I thought a "gimmick" would be, but I was quickly redirected toward other bars. Of course, I don't know how it looked to the audience, but I felt quite rushed and was on and off the stage in short order. All in all, the assistants were very well trained and I was impressed with the way they were able to control my every move while I "checked" the cage.

I also have been onstage with Kreskin, and my wife was selected by Copperfield for the "Mind Reading Duck" bit back in the early-to-mid-80's (what I consider to be the height of Copperfield's career.) I always think it's a great experience for a magician to be on the other side -- the audience volunteer.
The vanish at the end of the Alcatraz illusion, which mimicked the segment from the special where he vanished from a box on a table, and reappeared in the audience.

Ok - here's a question that's a memory tester. In the show from the mid-80's - do you remember if Copperfield closed the show with the Tower illusion - the illusion that opened the 1979 special?

Did you ever see him open with the Smoke Chamber live?

(as you can tell, I'm a fan of live show histories)
I don't recall him doing a vanish in the segment I saw.

Yeah, I saw him open with the smoke chamber several times. Once it was on a TINY stage, and he had assistants cover the chamber with a large curtain wrap before the appearance (must have been angle problems.) This theatre was also on the third floor of an old building, and it must have been a real pain to bring in the show.

I don't recall a tower illusion. If you describe it, it may jog my memory.
I only had the opportunity to see the Alcatraz stage routine once, around 1989, but after escaping from the jail cell, he stood on a table and covered himself with a cardboard box, like in the special. The box fell apart and he was gone - and reappeared in the audience.

I never saw the Smoke Chamber live. What was it like? I know he used "Sunglasses at Night" for the music. Was the routine much different from what appeared on the China special? (did he, by chance, appear wearing sunglasses...?)

I wonder if the cloth was wrapped around the prop because there was a problem in a small theater using a thick amount of smoke.

The Tower illusion was from the 1979 special - it basically is a routine that take place on an elevated platform where hands reach out from a curtained enclosure that was shown empty. DC gets pulled inside and vanishes - and he reappears in the audience. I think this was used before the Alcatraz routine was done.
I don't think he did the vanish after the Alcatraz jail escape when I helped, but I could be wrong.

I know the tower illusion you mean. Yes, he did use that in the early 80's show I saw (staircase vanish if I remember correctly.) As for the smoke chamber, they all wore sunglasses as I recall, and there was LOTS of smoke, but I don't know if that was the reason for the cover.
Didn't see it in here yet but during one of his live shows he performed Jumbo B-wave when his t----d broke for the floating rose routine. He told the audience "let's move this to the stage so you can see better". He had the Jumbo B-Wave behind a set of speakers on stage left. The audience never new anything went wrong. It was seamless!
Wow - very interesting. Was it a B-Wave with 4 cards - or was it a large Invisible Deck? Did he have the audience volunteer (Who was going to be used for the rose) help him?

At what point in the rose did the gimmick break?
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (Mar 13, 2007 12:56AM)
[quote]
On 2007-01-29 19:04, Starrpower wrote:
I purposely reached where I thought a "gimmick" would be, but I was quickly redirected toward other bars... I always think it's a great experience for a magician to be on the other side -- the audience volunteer.
[/quote]

That was nice of you; the same reason many magicians can't [i]stand[/i] other magicians as volunteers.
On 2007-01-29 19:04, Starrpower wrote:
I purposely reached where I thought a "gimmick" would be, but I was quickly redirected toward other bars... I always think it's a great experience for a magician to be on the other side -- the audience volunteer.

Yeah, why would you do that? We're all supposed to be on the same team.
Illusion77, here is a great link to most of everything David has ever performed weather it be on the stage or TV.

http://www.tonyko.com/_TheIllusions/illusions_tour.asp

Almost forgot, also on this website there are still pictures of all his performances of his specials:

http://www.tonyko.com/_TheIllusions/illusions_tv.asp
I'm very interested in reading about how he manages mess ups. Any more stories?
[quote]
I always think it's a great experience for a magician to be on the other side -- the audience volunteer.
[/quote]

Slightly off topic for the thread, but it relates here. I was subject to a rather aggressive riffle force, and subsequent belittlement from the performer when he was "failing" to find my card. There were other parts of the show too that I found just atrocious.

Anyway, back on topic. ;)
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Mar 13, 2007 02:53PM)
[quote]
On 2007-03-13 11:17, Banester wrote:
Illusion77, here is a great link to most of everything David has ever performed weather it be on the stage or TV.

[/quote]

Great link, Banester. It was interesting to see how the current show has been downsized.

The current show, [b]An Intimate Evening of Grand Illusion (2003-present)[/b] consists of 9 routines.

The previous tour, [b]Portal(2001 - 2002)[/b], boasted [b]20[/b] routines!

I guess that [i]Intimate[/i] mut be code for [i]small[/i]...?
[quote]
On 2007-01-30 22:42, Starrpower wrote:
As for the smoke chamber, they all wore sunglasses as I recall, and there was LOTS of smoke, but I don't know if that was the reason for the cover.
[/quote]

The cover or curtain was simply used if there was a problem.

Be it with the illusion, smoke, etc..., it was just a way of being prepared for the unknown.

You must know that there are SEVERAL "Just in case" things that David and his crew have in place for when things go wrong!

THAT is what makes David & his crew, THE BEST!!!

=Frank=
Great topic! After so many years - someone else can add memories? Thank you! :applause:
[quote]On Mar 17, 2007, magicmanfrank wrote:

The cover or curtain was simply used if there was a problem.

Be it with the illusion, smoke, etc..., it was just a way of being prepared for the unknown.[/quote]

Yes and if you tour a lot there are ALWAYS problems! I got a call from him when he was in Santa Barbara to see if I could come in and fix the smoke chamber for him. There were 2 smoke devices inside the outer chamber (either one of which would have been enough to fill the chamber and provide plenty of cover.) that got placed in there by the assistants. They connected to the controller in the base by 1/4" audio plugs built into the prop. The smoke is a constant corrosive so after enough time, they would sometimes not function and he had no way of knowing when that would happen (Hence always having the large cloth in the wings). I redesigned it and hooked up a more standard pyro controller that had a continuity light showing that they were making contact so he could be assured that it would work.

While I was there, he also asked me if I could be in the audience to come on stage for the Jail cell examination. Evidently he learned from his Starrpower experience!
I did see the torn & restored traffic ticket bit. It was sort of a throw-away effect.

Either 1 or 2 different ladies came out on stage, each holding a pieces of plastic with handles on each end. As best as I recall, the pieces of plastic were shaped in the style of aviator sunglasses, but of course much bigger. Attached to the plastic were windshield wipers and one of them had a parking ticket.

I know he tore the ticket up and restored it, but I can't remember much more.

I only saw him do this once in the late Seventies or very early Eighties.

Gerry
On his Journey of a Lifetime tour he did a Cardiographic style card rise with the moon. "you chose the full moon... you didn't... well that's not the full moon... that's the sun before it sets" - full moon sets and crescent moon rises. He also did Test Conditions on that tour which isn't crazy obscure.. but not one of the more well known.

The Portal Tour had ALOT of unique tricks -
Through Steel (andre kole illusion)
Back Crack (variation of andre kole no feet)
Binky the Clown (a weird variation of andre kole's head mover.. only the head vanished in this routine I think).
ESPN - a prediction trick with envelopes. I really don't remember much about it.. I think it was celebrities photos in the envelope)
Baby Trick - David "has a baby" with an audience member and the baby selects the ladies chosen card on an ultrasound.
and the "Anthrax" routine where he had a scorpion pick a chosen card.
I haven't had time to read all of this, but these are some of the things I have seen him do live.

Smoke Chamber live in Vegas in 1985 or 1986. With Joanie Spina and another woman.. They were faced back to back wearing glasses as they came out of the chamber and danced a bit as it filled up with smoke. No cloth was needed unless there was a problem with the smoke machines.

I saw him perform kind of a mind reading type of illusion with Marilyn Monroe and GUMBY and others. A dancer or person appeared wearing different body parts.
I can't remember it in full. Really cool looking illusion though.. IT never made it to TV>

I saw him perform at a Joe Stevens convention it seems that Joe was heading it up.
Remember him opening with Back stage with the magician and doing card manipulation. Others on that show.. Crystal casket, Dancing with the ZZ Levitation where the curtain went up. Closer was the lion's Bride with two shaggy dogs that he rented. I was setting next to the people that rented him the dogs.

I watched him In Tahoe in around 1981 and he did the big TOWER>> Closer
Opened that show with the levitating Ferrari. This was a great show with the dancing hanky and some in one bits like ROOM service and Albums.

My friend Gary Bartlett worked with David for awhile and said that if David got down to doing the SPOT Card that some heads were bound to roll. HA

In Vegas I saw him do walking thru a steel wall which was the same steps etc as walking thru CHINA wall.
Going thru the jail cell as well. Never saw him do the table vanish and appear in the audience live.. From that special..

One of my favorite live shows he did in Vegas was jammed pack with the greatest hits of DC
Elevator, Head mover, Origami, Interlude, Pole lev, SLicer he did Snowing and Flying..
Cargo MOTO and more..

David is the Best! I feel pretty lucky to call him a friend.
Thanks guys,

This has been a good read. I will need to read it all sometime..

Taylor Reed
The table from the Alactraz special where is vanished from the cardboard box was a MONSTER of a prop. The table and the shelf of janitorial props were both HUNDREDS of pounds... and noisy. I'm sure he didn't do them in smaller venues.
I saw David break in Flying during a Las Vegas performance about 25 years ago. Also, I saw him make a car appear on top of a raised platform underneath a cloth as a twist to his mentalism routine. The experience was truly breath taking.
I remember seeing him do an arena show at a state fair, probably late 80s. We saw both the afternoon and evening shows which opened with [i]Smoke Chamber[/i]. The afternoon show worked perfectly, although the cloth was lying in the floor in front of the prop. During the evening show there was no smoke and up came the cloth, which as I recall had poles sewn into its outer hems. I do remember that when the girls slapped it across the front of the chamber it made a very loud noise, which I immediately interpreted as a "go" cue for David.

Other recollections: He did [i]What's Next[/i] at both performances. Very much performed as an afterthought and I was astonished to see that when he finished he openly reset the prop as he was walking it to the edge of the stage to hand it off to an assistant.

Before he had done [i]Impaled[/i] on his special, he was doing it in a very different way, using the girl, as most do, but with a very lurid voyeuristic/revenge theme. I remember not caring for the presentation at all.

He did perform [i]The Tower[/i] to close the first act, and it was a very entertaining presentation. (Incidentally, this was the last time I saw him do a two-act show.)

[i]Walking Through the Steel Wall[/i] (a la Great Wall of China) I thought was an effective presentation even though the props really seemed overkill in their scale to the "wall".

[i]Seeing Through a Woman[/i] I thought was always a great prop and a great presentation. I remember it played as well live as it did on TV.

Years later a friend of mine was on the local crew and told me that the show loaded in in the morning and set up fairly quickly. The rest of the day was spent rehearsing [i]Flying[/i]. This would have been about a year or more before it debuted in TV. They put in soooo much work beforehand that when it made its way to the stage it was a well-oiled machine.

Contrast this to a few years ago when the show came through and did not even load in until 2:00 in the afternoon for a 5:00 show (their previous stop was only a 2 hour drive away). The show started fifty minutes late and he didn't perform [i]13[/i] in the early show because it wasn't ready. My layman friend who came to the show with me was very unimpressed with the entire show.

Anyhoo, just some things I remember.
I saw him twice in the early 80's. The first time he opened with a very entertaining "Backstage with the magician" type routine where he appears at the end. His closer for that show was the Tower illusion. I hadn't seen the TV special with it so it was a really great surprise. After the show he came out on stage and signed stuff for people. I got him to sign my Tannen's catalogue with him on the cover.
The second show I saw which may have been his very next tour (was around 1985) was the escape from Alcatraz as the closer. I had seen the TV special so it was pretty cool to see live!

Glenn
[quote]On Mar 13, 2007, Banester wrote:

Almost forgot, also on this website there are still pictures of all his performances of his specials:

http://www.tonyko.com/_TheIllusions/illusions_tv.asp [/quote]

Good evening friends! Unfortunately, the site was recently closed. Is there a list of effects each tour Copperfield? I searched for a very long time. Thank you for any help!
:coffee:
I have saved the list of illusions performed on tour off of Tony's site, as well as included the list of illusions that I personally saw him perform whenever he came here to Tampa which will be noted-

LIVE ON STAGE- 1983

Backstage with the Magician
Dancing Cane/ Levitating Woman
Make Your Own Magician
Shrinking Man in Bag
David's Dancing Handkerchief
Parking Ticket
The Ballerina
The 50's
Orange, Lemon, Egg and Canary
Room Service
Black Tower of Mystery
Psycho
Levitating a Woman
The 50's
Memories (The Attic)
Walking through a Steel Wall
Levitating a Ferrari

LIVE ON STAGE- 1984

Make Your Own Magician
Shrinking Man in Bag
Parking Ticket
Duck-o-matic
SLOW Mo Duck
The Ballerina
The 50's
Room Service
Black Tower of Mystery
Psycho
Levitating a Woman
The 50's
Memories (The Attic)
Levitating a Ferrari

LIVE ON STAGE- 1985

Crystal Smoke Chamber
Seeing through a Woman
Make Your Own Magician
Shrinking Man in Bag
Parking Ticket
Duck-o-matic
Levitating a Ferrari
Death Defying Duck
SLOW Mo Duck
The Ballerina
The 50's
Mr. Copperfields Neighborhood
Room Service
Black Tower of Mystery
Dream Vision
Psycho
Kid Buster
Levitating a Woman
Origami
The 50's
Memories
Levitating a Ferrari

LIVE ON STAGE- 1986

Crystal Smoke Chamber
Seeing through a Woman
Make Your Own Magician
Shrinking Man in Bag
Parking Ticket
Duck-o-matic
Levitating a Ferrari
Death Defying Duck
SLOW Mo Duck
The Ballerina
The 50's
Mr. Copperfields Neighborhood
Room Service
Black Tower of Mystery
Dream Vision
Psycho
Kid Buster
Levitating a Woman
Origami
The 50's
Memories
Levitating a Ferrari

THE MAGIC OF DAVID Copperfield- 1987

Crystal Smoke Chamber
Death Defying Duck
Run Duck Run
Levitating a Woman
On The Edge
Duck-o-matic
Black Tower of Mystery
Card from Paper
Time Warp
The Cremation
Memories
Crazy Man's Handcuffs
Mr. Rogers Bandana Trick
Dream Vision
Seeing Through A Woman
Orange, Lemon, Egg & Canary
Poultry In Motion
Slo-Mo Duck
Webster & Consuelo Restored
Escape From Alcatraz
Table Of Death
Death Saw

THE MAGIC OF DAVID Copperfield- 1988

Crystal Smoke Chamber
Death Defying Duck
Run Duck Run
Blaney Levitation
On The Edge
Duck-o-matic
Dancing Ties
Card from Paper
Time Warp
The Cremation
Memories
Telementalist
$100 Bill Switch
Crazy Man's Handcuffs
Mr. Rogers Bandana Trick
Dream Vision
Seeing Through A Woman
Twist-Her
Pole Levitation
Poultry In Motion
Slo-Mo Duck
Origami
Escape From Alcatraz
Table Of Death
Death Saw

THE MAGIC OF DAVID Copperfield- 1989

Harley's Ghost
Death Defying Duck
Run Duck Run
On The Edge
Duck-o-matic
Black Tower of Mystery
Dancing Ties
Card from Paper
Time Warp
The Cremation
The Slicer
Walking Through A Mirror
Memories
Telementalist
Camera Trick
$100 Bill Switch
Crazy Man's Handcuffs
Dream Vision
Seeing Through A Woman
Twist-Her
Ring On Hour Glass
Pole Levitation
Poultry In Motion
Slo-Mo Duck
Origami
Escape From Alcatraz
Table Of Death
Death Saw
Motorcycle Disappearance

THE MAGIC OF DAVID Copperfield- 1990

Harley's Ghost
Death Defying Duck
Run Duck Run
Levitating a Woman
On The Edge
Duck-o-matic
Black Tower of Mystery
Dancing Ties
Card from Paper
Time Warp
The Cremation
The Slicer
Walking Through A Mirror
Memories
Telementalist
Camera Trick
$100 Bill Switch
Crazy Man's Handcuffs
Mr. Rogers Bandana Trick
Dream Vision
Seeing Through A Woman
Orange, Lemon, Egg & Canary
Twist-Her
Ring On Hour Glass
Pole Levitation
Poultry In Motion
Slo-Mo Duck
Origami
Escape From Alcatraz
Table Of Death
Death Saw
Motorcycle Disappearance

RADICAL NEW ILLUSIONS- 1991-1992

Elevator
Head Mover
Dancing Ties
Squeeze Box
Graffiti Wall
Telementalist
Origami Box
Card from Paper
Slicer
Rope Trick
An Encounter With Orson Wells
Mind Control
Big Black Box
Card In Balloon
Floating Rose
Interlude
Shot Thru The Heart
Brazilian Water Levitation
Poultry In Motion
Death Saw
Twist-Her
The Escape Lesson
Motorcycle Disappearance

MAGIC FOR THE 90s- 1992-1993

Heaven on the Seventh Floor
Head MOVER
Squeeze Box
Graffiti Wall
Interlude
Air Coppers
Blueprint for Mystery
Rope Trick
A Miracle Up Close
Origami Box
Mr. Rogers Bandana Trick
Table of Death
Brazilian Water Levitation
After Hours
Dancing Ties
Camera Trick
Seeing Through A Woman
Passions Prisoner
An Encounter with Orson WELLES
Twister
Memories
Psycho Shower Scene
On the Edge
Mind Control
Shot Thru The Heart
Time Control
Time Warp
Death Saw
Run Duck Run
Floating Rose
Flying
Escape Lesson
Motorcycle Disappearance

BEYOND IMAGINATION/15 YEARS OF MAGIC- 1994

The Elevator
Head Mover
Graffiti
Squeeze Box
C&R Rope
Interlude
Air Coppers
Blue Print For Mystery
The Blade
Video Intermission- Building Escape
Vertical Asrah
Rose
Flying
Snow

1994 TAMPA- MY FIRST Copperfield SHOW

The Elevator- Was late to show, didn't get to see this
Head Mover- Came into theater mid-way through this one
Graffiti
Squeeze Box
C&R Rope
Interlude
Blue Print For Mystery
The Blade
Video Intermission- Building Escape
Vertical Asrah
Rose
Twister
Flying
Snow
Post Show Announcement- "David will be back next year with all new illusions, & he will come out into the lobby to sign autographs...."

This was the last year he ever did post show autographs in the lobby

BEYOND IMAGINATION 1995- didn't go to this one, filmed Unexplained Forces in Tampa this tour!

Heaven on the Seventh Floor
Death Saw
The Laser
Metamorphosis/Cocoon
Graffiti Wall
The Blade
The Fan
Vanishing Egg
Floating Table
Grandpa's Four Aces
Barclay House
Snow

THE MAGIC IS BACK- 1996

Elevator- Unexplained Forces Ghost Scrim
Death Saw- Mea Culpa Intro
Grandpa
Cocoon
Graffiti
The Blade- First appearance
An Invention (Arm Zig Zag)- First Appearance
The Laser (First Appearance)
Linking Finger Rings (First Appearance)
The Fan- DC reappeared in same row I was in a few seats down
Video- Fires of Passion
Vertical Asrah
Barclay House
Rose
Snow

DREAMS & NIGHTMARES- 1997

Elevator- Icarus Scrim, little boy DC walks out & throws confetti, then walks around elevator prop
Death Saw- New music intro, saw starts sideways
Grandpa
Cocoon- Little DC walks with real DC around cocoon table
Graffiti
Uncle Morti & Aunt Ida
An Invention
The Laser
Linking Finger Rings
The Fan
Intermission- Chris Kenner
Voyeur (First Appearance)
Rose
Flying
Snow

DREAMS & NIGHTMARES- 1998

Elevator- Icarus Scrim
Late Audience Members
Death Saw
Grandpa
Cocoon
Graffiti
Uncle Morti & Aunt Ida
An Invention
The Laser
Linking Finger Rings- Usher wouldnt get out of the screen shot
The Fan
Intermission- Chris Kenner
Voyeur
The Tides- First Appearance
Interactive Moon Cards
Rose
Flying
Snow

U!- Germany- 1998

One
Thumbs
Uncle Morti & Aunt Ida
The Laser
The Tides
An Invention
Cocoon
Moon Telepathy
Dancing Ties
Moon: Interactive Experience
The Fan
Intermission Video- Illusion Montage
Tearable (Magic In Your Hands)
Panty Swap
Flying

JOURNEY OF A LIFETIME- TAMPA 2000- didn't do planned set, this was when his equipment was held hostage in Russia

The Elevator- Orient Express Woman Face Scrim
Thumbs- First Appearance
Headmover
Rap Names For Webster
Death Saw- Aliens Score Intro
Graffiti
Squeeze Box- Nation
Moon Card Rise- First Appearance
Blue Print for Mystery
Floating Table
Vertical Asrah
Video- Fires of Passion
Interactive Moon Cards
Slow-mo Duck
Rose
Motorcycle Vanish- Appeared 2 rows behind me, looked me in the eye & waved. Took some pictures with his motorcycle

UNKNOWN DIMENSION- didn't come to Tampa

One
Laser
Prediction Box
Magic in Your Hands
Slo-Mo Quarter
Rising Moon Card
Squeezebox
Moon Interactive
Test Conditions
Voyeur
Panty Swap
Slo-Mo Duck
The Disappearance
Thirteen

PORTAL- FEB 16TH, 2002- 8 Illusions, 5 Closed curtain effects

Harley's Ghost
Thumbs
Laser
Post Card For Val- Football
Thru Steel
Panty Swap
Squeeze Box- Smack My !@#$% Up
ESP Cards
Back Cracker
Binky
Scorpion- This was before he named the scorpion Anthrax. In this show, it was "Blacky"
Intermission Video- Fan Submissions
Voyeur
Lottery
Slow-Mo Duck
Portal
Thirteen

AN INTIMATE EVENING OF GRAND ILLUSION- FEBRUARY 1st, 2003- 6 Illusions, 5 Closed Curtain FX

Copperfield On PA- Moment of silence for Columbia disaster
Harley's Ghost- Orient Express scrim
Thumbs
Thru Steel
Post Card for Karen
Sonogram (New Illusion)
Squeeze Box
Home Videos
Anthrax
Grandpa's Dream
Slow-Mo Duck
Portal

AN INTIMATE EVENING OF GRAND ILLUSION- 2005

Harley's Ghost
Thumbs
Thru Steel
Post Card
Sonogram
Squeeze Box
Home Videos
Anthrax
Grandpa's Dream
Slow-Mo Duck
Portal

AN INTIMATE EVENING OF GRAND ILLUSION- 2006

Video Intro- 9:25
Harley's Ghost
Thumbs
Thru Steel
Post Card for Karen
Sonogram (New Illusion)
Squeeze Box
Intermission- Awards Video
Anthrax
Grandpa's Dream
Slow-Mo Duck
Portal

AN INTIMATE EVENING OF GRAND ILLUSION- 2009

Harley's Ghost
Thumbs
Webster's Intro
Late Audience Members
Thru Steel
Air Coppers
Dancing Ties
Webster's Back
Squeeze Box
Intermission Video- Fires of Passion
Anthrax
Grandpa's Dream
Slow-Mo Duck
Rose
The Fan

ILLUSIONS NOT ON A TV SPECIAL

Linking Finger Rings
Chris Kenner Performance
Celebrity Portraits
Thru Steel
Anthrax
Back Cracker
Binky's Final Performance
Lottery Prediction
Appearing Convertible
Floating Audience Member
Words
Popping Balloon
Future Email
Atilla
Frank

One time when he was doing Anthrax, when he was holding the scorpion over the fanned cards to find the selected card, he dropped the cards on the floor. He said- "Time for a back up plan, Everybody back up." He picked up all of the cards & left them as they were, so now some cards were face up, some face down, & went to do it again. So now this made it even more impossible. Of course, he got it a second time, which made it even better.

I am also curious as to what some of the other pieces that wasnt in a TV special are that I havent seen, or don't know what the effect is-

A Miracle Up Close
Make Your Own Magician
Parking Ticket
Time Warp
Time Control
The Cremation
Card From Paper- Could this be "Mind Reading Duck"?
Mind Control
The Escape Lesson
Great lists! Thanks for sharing. I'd be curious to know what the ESP Cards/Celebrity Portraits effect was from the Portal 2002 show, do you remember the presentation?
The esp cards were called “espn” - it wasn’t particularly memorable... I saw it twice and really don’t remember the effect. I remember envelops and celebrities photos in the envelopes and the envelopes were handed out to people in the front row. Kinda like the phone book trick where people remove the cards from the envelope and it matches the phone number? Only instead of cards with numbers, it was celebrity head shots?

This was also when the “baby picks a card” trick and dancing panties was in the show.... some kinda odd stuff was in that tour ha.
Also when I saw Journey of a Lifetime in Nashville it was roughly this - (don’t remember the order, the middle is pretty mixed up)

One
Thumbs
Moon Prediction
Couch levitation
Cocoon
Grandpas Aces
Laser
Duck bucket
Test Conditions
Squeeze box
Interactive moon cards
The fan
Flying

I don’t think Vouyer was in there, but it could have been. I remember seeing it live multiple times, but I think it was on the Portal tour and not at this show.
You will be able to hear David himself talk about some of the illusions he created that never made it to the stage or TV on the Season Finale of The Magicians' Podcast on June 21st:

https://magicianspodcast.podbean.com