(Close Window)
Topic: Docc's 20 minutes with a balloon
Hello All:

I'm curious if anyone has this video tape, and if you recommend it. I'm thinking about buying it from Flora and Co., but would like any reviews first.

I have a number of Flora's tapes...most are good, but a few aren't. And the tapes aren't cheap - $55.00 a pop.

So, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ron Reid
Not even close to being worth $55. I got it on a deal over ebay for $30 and, in my opinion, it wasn't worth that. Most of his 20 minutes is talking to the kids or gags. I gleaned a few good things from it, but it is mostly calling kids up, jokes about their names, etc. Don't get me wrong, there is place for that and it is definately important in ice-breaking, etc. But for $55? I feel sorry for the people who pay to get that show. There are probably much better children's videos out there for much cheaper.
Thanks,FCPreacher! That's just what I was looking for - I think I'll pass on that video.

Ron Reid
If you don't do any balloons in your act buy this video. It is worth the money. This tape has TONS of material you will use. There are lots of gags and bits of business with and without balloons. This should be called 40 minutes with a balloon considering the running time. There is also invaluable information on how to pack a whole show into your shirt pocket (and not a single card trick to be found) Although you might find this tape cheaper it is worth the asking price. If you do balloons already, a lot of the material you use is on this tape. You will still learn something though as there is tins of material here. No, not all original but still good solid materail for kids. If a kids show tape ever screamed buy me to magicians, this is it. The information on the mismade wand is worth the $50 asking price. Overall I give this tape 9.5/10 It loses a point for not being all about balloons like the title says and gains a 1/2 point for the value of the extra information.
Joe
FIFTY DOLLARS???!!!???

I'd give it about a 2.2 out of 10. He gets the 2.2 for a well done avoiding-the-balloon schtick (a WC Fields move), and the ability to play the moment at a few points (wilting wand).

a. Setting up one child as brunt of sarcasm and continual jokes embarrasses the child and ticks them off (see the childs eventual reactions after 20 long minutes with this magicican). EZ laffs, but inconsiderate and shallow.

b. Adult lines and reactions flying over the heads of the kids are out of place.

c. Standing there and poking a kid in the face with a balloon 6 times might be an easy laff, but is unnecessary and just rude.

d. References to Twilight Zone Opening dialog doesn't play with 6 years olds. Does this 'professional' ever think of this? Why is he, at this date, using lines like this? Badly in need of reading Henderson's work on cleaning up the talk.

e. I disagree that there are 'tons' of material here. He does a bit of schtick and a couple of balloons.

"If you do balloons already, a lot of the material you use is on this tape"...and a lot of material you've rejected is on this tape.

Value? About $15 would be a good value for the video itself, and that would be for the WC Fields move with the balloon, and is the best thing in the video. This is a solid $35 magic show for kids, in my opinion, even extending the show with the unfilmed magic parts (I am assuming he does tricks too, for the kids)...I expected him to pull out What's Next and Professor's Nightmare and lame his way thru those presentations.

He does not do a mismade wand, he does a wilting wand, and does do a good job of playing that moment.

It's about 40 minutes of video. Oddly, he finishes up the video with a snip of a magician's lecture (apparently successful, everyone's having a good time) that explains a kids forcing deck that we've all thought of (and has been commercially released several times) and a strange black rat hand puppet. Why this is in the video is a mystery, and what it has to do with a good kids magic show is also unexplained.

Other than the Fields' bit and the wand timing, this video is Dumpster fodder. We all know you can get 20 minutes with a balloon. We all can. Most of us can do it better than Hilford demonstrates on this video. An odd product from a prolific creator of some very good stuff.

FIFTY DOLLARS???!!!???