(Close Window)
Topic: 1 and 5 transpo..
I like this effect a lot and cant wait to start doing it.I understand there are many handlings out.What do you guys think is the best or at the least you favorite??

SIX
John Sheet's ATOMIC BILLS is the best.

Jeff
I've heard good things about Metamorphosis Bills by Bob Solari and Atomic Bills. Anyone care to comment on the positives and negatives of Metamorphosis vs Atomic Bills? By desription they seem very similar.

-Feral
Are you referring to the U.F. Grant's $5 to $1 Transpo effect??
[quote]
On 2007-02-01 10:32, Feral Chorus wrote:
I've heard good things about Metamorphosis Bills by Bob Solari and Atomic Bills. Anyone care to comment on the positives and negatives of Metamorphosis vs Atomic Bills? By desription they seem very similar.

-Feral
[/quote]

I only have Atomic Bills, I've seen Metamorphosis Bills' demo. Based on the demo I can see the differences:
1. In MB, when one of the bill is taken from spectator's hand, the spect. does not know which one is taken by the magician until it is shown later, in AB the spect. can see which one at the moment it is taken from his palm.
2. AB has a method to ditch the gimmick so you can shown your hand empty, I did not see it in MB demo.

But then again it is only based on the demo, maybe with MB you can do the same thing as AB. One thing for sure MB is cheaper than AB and you can check the demo before buying. Both can be done impromptu.

Jeff
Can atomic bills be done with british currency
I'd say, the best seemingly impromptu version is Joshua Jay's "Inflated Transposition". I use it a lot in the context of a longer routine and it is quite effective.
Warren,
Atomic Bills method can be done with any currency, you will get a US bill gimmick but with a little work you can create your own using any currency.

Doug,
Where can I find Joshua Jay's "Inflated Transposition" ? Is it in his book The Magic Atlas? Thanks.

Jeff
Do you guys feel it matters I the bill is gimmicked or ungimmickec(stealing any extra parts off)..
Hey SIX: You're invariably going to need "something" to pull this off - some gimmick or handling. I've had someone perform this on me at the Magic Castle (he used the one Eugene Burger uses - the extra piece) and it was a nice piece of magic. Only one phase,however, but it was nice.

Magicstudent: It's on Vol. 2 of his DVD "Close Up. Up Close." Not sure if it's in the book (I don't have it). When you watch it, it's one of those things you might disregard, but I've had a blast doing it. Plays real nice and the set-up is practical and easy to carry.
I like the handling from Penguin, but recently saw a slightly different take on it by a new member here that I thought was cool. I think it's the first effect on his video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EzdL82VQ1Y
Penguin's version is using gimmicked bill, easier to handle but you can not use borrowed bill. I will check Joshua Jay's version.

Jeff
You can read more about "Atomic Bills" on my website.
I agree with CasualSoul, the Penguinmagic version is great. I use a two dollar bill as the un-gimmicked bill that ends up in there hand, which draws a lot of attention & meantime allowing me to switch out the other bill so that both can be fully examined in the end.
You can find an excellent version on one of Michael Ammar's tapes. Its on one of of his "Easy to Master Money Miracles" tapes. I'm sure its now on DVD format. I think it made mention by the name of the "Million Dollar Mystery".
Close up: It is on Ammar's Easy To Master Money Miracles volume 2. It is called "Beswitched" and is a version by my friend George Hample. I perform this all the time and think it is one of the better versions because the bills are folded into quarters...and most of the bills are visible and is all self contained.

There is a little give and take...some other versions allow you to borrow the bills which is great, but you then have to fold the bills into 8ths and then add the gimmick. You have to find what works for you.

Rich B.
I carry and use the "beswitched" version off of Ammar's dvd. Works great!! I have never had people worry about the bills being mine. After all they think they have seen both sides of both bills and end up with the one in their hand that they can fully examine.

I believe this is also in the new L&L money magic dvd form their "Worlds Greatest" series.
Yes, you can do "Atomic Bills" with any Currency!
I like the 1 and 5 transpo that Jay does available on penguin. I do it all the time. It is a work horse. I will check out atomic bills.
Mike Powers has a great routine called "DOUBLE YOUR MONEY" in his book POWER PLAYS.

I don't do all the phases in the routine, but do keep the $5 and $10 in my wallet all the time. This is easy to construct, ever since it has become more difficult in contructing the $5 to $1 bills using the new $5 bills.

I use my $10 and the spectator's $5 bill. I put both bills in his clenched fist and tell him that I will take 1 bill out. Whichever is left in his hand, he can keep. He apparently sees that I take out the $5 bill and gets excited, but then I tell him that you are hallucinating I do the magical wave and change the $5 to my $10 after a "blow". He ends up with his own $5 bill when he opens his hand. You can even have his $5 bill marked before the effect.

Pretty nice impromptu effect that I carry around all the time with other effects, like WONDERLAND DOLLAR and FRAUD.
Another vote for "Beswitched"
Atomic Bills. I carry and use this everyday.
Atomic Bills. I use this almost everyday!
I've been caught out a few times with effects that say you can use any currency which means either finding a reason for using bills from another country and weakening the effect or not bothering.
an example being ghost bills great effect but so obvious when using british bills due to the size, so as great as atomic bills may sound with us currency I think I'll pass this time around.
What is Atomic Bills??? Is this in a book, DVD, sold as 1 effect??

Just what is the effect??
Salby,
The "Atomic Bills" can be performed with borrowed bills. You can read more about it here: http://www.johntsheets.com, on the Magicians page. I hope this helps.
I just read the summary for ATOMIC BILLS... Very interesting. But if I am happy with the $5 to $1 transpo using the gimmicked $1, isn't there any gimmick for ATOMIC BILLS. Christopher Kavanagh states above that he "carries it" everyday, inferring that there is some special something (gimmick) involved. Should I stick to the version I have been using all these years, or spend $30 and try another version?? I am happy with the version I use, but I cannot borrow BOTH bills-- I like that idea though. What's your suggestions??
Yes, there is a special secret-something. It is small, flat, & can be carried in your wallet. Using this, you CAN borrow two bills, a one dollar bill & any other denomination bill, & perform the effect. You start & end clean. I hope this helps.
[quote]
On 2007-05-09 12:50, Allan wrote:
ANOTHER GREAT VERSION IS MY MIKE BORNSTEIN.
[/quote]

Can you tell us more about it? Thanks.

Jeff
Mike Bornstein was a great guy & always put a twist & improvement on everything. You start off by holding one bill in each hand. you slowly show both sides of each bill. You then put them down & show empty hands. You then show each bill again on both sides & one at time you fold them up into with four folds. both are place together & place in the spec's hand. You show your hands empty & you remove the $1 & place it in your own empty hand. You then touch your hand to theirs & you each open your hands & they see that the bill have changed places. Each bill is then opened up flat & shown on both sides. Nothing to add & nothing to take away.
There is a similiar effect of Mike Bornstein's version on page 232 of the SWITCH book written by John Lovick. This particular effect in this book is entitled THINGS CHANGE.

Mike Bornstein's gimmicked $5 bill is basically the same gimmick used in THINGS CHANGE with the exception of where the piece is glued to on the $5 bill. Mike glues it in the 2nd eighth of the $5 bill from the left while still on the upper half of the $5 bill. Mike's handling allows the magician to cover this gimmick with his thumb and thus allowing him to show all 4 corners cleanly to have the number "5" show on both sides. It is a very clever placement of the piece to the $5 bill.

In my opinion, Mike Bornstein really was the one to resurrect paper bill money from the older days. His clever gimmicks made miracles. I can only wonder if he was alive today, what new effects he would have come up with the newer U.S. Paper Bills or using newer techniques like Daniel Garcia's FRAUD to his own effects.
Wow, I agree that Bornstein's version is really clever.

Jeff
Allan,

Do you have a specific source for the Bornstein version? TIA

-Feral
Here is the entire contents of Mike Bornstein's Encyclopedia of Paper Money Magic:

http://magicref.tripod.com/books/bornsteinencyclopedia.htm

Unfortunately, it is Out Of Print for at least 5 years.
I have worn out Atomic Bills a couple of times from doing it so much... around 50 times a week, even if I'm not performing... This and Quantum Bender 2.0 I never leave home without. Seriously. All the ad stuff is exactly accurate... and yep, you can borrow and return the bills and even have them signed. Sure there's a gimmick... but there is just no heat on it as it comes and goes during the routine.

In the interest of full disclosure (some idiots in DC should think on that concept for a while!) I am the writer for all John's products... but he's a tightwad, so I don't get anything for these endorsements! Nah... it's easy because his stuff if made for serious workers working serious gigs.

Bob LaRue
Omnibozo
Roger Klause has a great transpo.
John showed me his atomic bills and it really is the best. It could not have been cleaner in terms of method and effect ( the 2 bills are completely examinable before and after)...I knew exactly how the effect worked and I still couldn't see him do anything out of the ordinary. For a second I thought he wasn't even using the gimmick.
Where can I view a demo of ATOMIC BILLS???
There isn't a demo of atomic bills.
Anyone who has it and performs it well wanna put a demo somewhere then??
Here is a funny clip of John Sheets. No AA just fun

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AAaIXod3n5w
[quote]
On 2007-05-10 15:20, Salby wrote:
There is a similiar effect of Mike Bornstein's version on page 232 of the SWITCH book written by John Lovick. This particular effect in this book is entitled THINGS CHANGE.

Mike Bornstein's gimmicked $5 bill is basically the same gimmick used in THINGS CHANGE with the exception of where the piece is glued to on the $5 bill. Mike glues it in the 2nd eighth of the $5 bill from the left while still on the upper half of the $5 bill. Mike's handling allows the magician to cover this gimmick with his thumb and thus allowing him to show all 4 corners cleanly to have the number "5" show on both sides. It is a very clever placement of the piece to the $5 bill.

In my opinion, Mike Bornstein really was the one to resurrect paper bill money from the older days. His clever gimmicks made miracles. I can only wonder if he was alive today, what new effects he would have come up with the newer U.S. Paper Bills or using newer techniques like Daniel Garcia's FRAUD to his own effects.
[/quote]

I think it is the same method as above, or a few pages away, where you get the patter from E Burger (that of a con man) that allows/motivates you to put the borrowed bill in your pocket, at the start, temporarily, and then again at the end, temporarily. With a little thought, you can use this routining to allow you to borrow both bills.

Further, DreamlandMagic.org has a 5-1 transpo that only folds the bills into 4'ths. To me, this looked fairer - no teny-tiny folded wad of a bill.

John
IMHO Corey Burke has the most visual version of the 1 to 5 transpo. There is a performance only clip on his latest "Voracity" DVD. He was going to release the explaination on his website for the purchasers of the DVD, but there were some issues with that.

Fortunatly, Corey is my good friend, and he has told me that he has plans on releasing the explaination very soon. The demo for the DVD can be seen here..

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ETT5UXeNSTA&client=mv-google

Terminal Voracity is the 1 to 5 transpo, and there is a small clip of it at the end. It is extremely visual, and easy to perform. I'm really trying to talk him into releasing this soon, as it is a beautiful piece of magic.