(Close Window)
Topic: Neil Foster's Center Tear
Just debuted it at one of the schools I work with, for the 4-year-old class. The first response upon restoration, by one of the girls, was "Awesome!" The teachers did a double-take and asked , "Wait, I did see you rip it, didn't I?" The other kids kept asking how I did it.

I used it to illustrate being friends (since Valentine's Day is coming up), and the newspaper represented one of our friends with whom we might've had a disagreement (the tear), and even though we all sometimes have disagreements (tearing the center piece into pieces), we say "I'm sorry" to each other and put aside our differences (placing the torn pieces in the folded newspaper) and we're friends again with our disagreement gone (restoration and the pieces vanished).

Center Tear is definitely a keeper, smooth in the handling and pretty mistake-proof and meanwhile, I have to work on my Anderson T&R (the past two times, respectively, luckily done for family, the restored paper ripped - I forgot to follow the instructions regarding preshow handling - and then a couple nights ago something went flying, say no more, say no more, nudge nudge wink wink.)
HI yeah I had the same problem with my Anderson T&R but ive found my problem was with the w**e in the c**p ive recently got centre tear from a friend of mine and it was just the instructions ive made a couple but they don't look great, I was wondering what sort of paper you use, is it just a newspaper or is it glossy paper etc?
Thanks,
Dave Major
I first used a thicker tabloid-sized paper, but am now using USA Today, which is more standard newspaper size.
I have used the foster Center Tear for year. I use a full sized paper( like the USA today size). One of the keys is use a good perorating wheel. I used to use a dress makers wheel but now you can get the really sharp perorating wheels I the craft stores or Wallmart that work great. I make them up several at a times.

One caution use a good glue that does not dry out over time. Otherwise you pull out the paper to work it and find it falling apart on you.

Folksing check your regular mail. Something that may help.

Richard
Richard -
Thanks for the tips - I think I have a Royal Magic watch winder that broke after a day or so, that I though I could use afterwards as a pastry wheel and like that; if I can find it, I'll use it on the papers. My grocery store was out of rubber cement when I got the newspapers, so I got glue sticks instead, which actually seem to be better suited and more forgiving for Center Tear, though I'd prefer rubber cement for Anderson's.

Regarding your last line, thanks in advance, and just wanted to make sure you're using my current verizon email and not the defunct aol one that's listed in my Cafť profile (gotta change that...). Since we've corresponded recently, I'm assuming you have my verizon email, but just making sure.
Life without Neil Foster's Center Tear is no life at all. I'm not even interested in a replacement.

For full size newspapers I still use the Gene Anderson Tear. However, I like to follow paper tears with live dove produced from a Challet Gloves to Dove. The Neil Foster tear gives less paper to dispose of. That's important.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Yes, I forgot to mention that I always use glue sticks to put it together.

charley, I have to resend the email as it bounced back.

Richard
Richard -
The email just came in - it's very helpful and I really appreciate your sending it. Thanks!
Charley
Glue stix are a way of life in the magic and newspaper business!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
All hail Neil Foster!
Whatever glue you use, you should not make it up far in advance. Back when I was using this, I wanted to use the Newspaper of the same day as the show, so I had to make it up that day. The glue just doesn't have time to dry out.

Instead of a perforating wheel, use a sewing machine to do the perforating. Good machines will do different sizes of stiches, so experiment to get the right setting. Don't use thread, of course. You can stack up several papers and do them all at once.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Yes, Dennis is correct. Too far ahead and the glue sitcks wil fail. By that I mean, don't make months of them ahead. Did you ever notice how old glue sticks shrink. Same thing happens to the glue.
Richard
I have performed Neil Foster's Center Tear at every one of my shows for many years. Always - Always gets a "Wooooooo" (Hope I spelled that correctly) response from the audiences.

I found it also in Marconic's hard bound book. The only difference was that the torn out section was larger and thus a bigger diamond shape.
Love the trick...love the effect...but I am simply unable to make them on my own as the original instructions that came with are not very clear at all. Is this written up anywhere...or better yet...has it every been explained on video?

Thanks,
Cody
No video to my knowledge, and the instructions are great. When the trick is purchased, you get 6 prepared newspapers. So you have a good instructions and samples.

In my opinion - a video would be a total waste of time, and money. Neil Foster is gone now, and I also think the only person that should make a video is Neil Foster.

As mentioned previously by a member, you can buy refills from Abbott's. I learned to make my own, because I went up to Abbott's at least once a month, and they never had any made up to sell. So being tired of waiting for them, I made my own. It only takes about 5 or 10 minutes to prepare.

Glue stick is the way to go, as mentioned by others.
A video certainly wouldn't be a waste of my money...I couldn't seem to figure it...and like you I hated buying refills...Oh well...

Cody S. Fisher
Anything that was good enough for Neil Foster was and is good enough for me!

Neil Foster is/was the reason I got into Magic in the first place!!!

His center tear is simple, quick, easy to follow, and pretty darn hard to beat for a "quickie" newspaper tear/restoration.

And yes, glue sticks are the way to go.
Cody,
I sent you my revised directions how to make them. It should not be that hard.

Richard
O.K. now I really feel like a dolt!

Richard...I really appreciated that...but that was during our last move...I lost them during the transition and did not want to impose on your kindness a second time...

Cody
Just out of interest, I have the instructions as per the original printing. Not the easiest to follow. Anyway, I also have the 'sample' paper as supplied. A 1974 edition of the Daily Mail (UK), which is now yellowed and delicate!! In the 'Jobs' section, the English Police have an advert to join... & make less than £1,800 a year!! Luckily they're on considerably more now... which is fortunate as petrol's almost $10 a gallon... and I remember it being around 35p in the mid 70's!!
Wow, this thread is still chuggin' along! When I first watched Neil performing it on Don Alan's "The Magic Ranch" DVD's, I actually clapped for the TV. I'd seen Lance Burton's fire-added version with Variety from his dove act, which was amazing, but seeing the creator himself perform it was a real treat. I still perform it as well as the Anderson, and use Denny Haney's work when doing the Anderson. Both still get the gasps and jaw drops.
I have used the Foster Center Tear for years with great success. It is one of my staples and I love the simplicity. I took it with me to Argentina this summer and audiences gasped with the restore. The only problem I had was the Argentine tabloid I was using has a slight gloss on the paper so my glue stick was iffy on some I prepared. I'm now experimenting on better glue stick. I wasn't really pleased with the Elmer's glue stick (goes on purple and turns clear when dry) for its holding power on the glossy paper. The purple color was handy for application but it lacked in hold.

On a different note, has anyone used USA Today for Center Tear? Thanks for input.

Bruce
[quote]
On 2013-09-28 18:41, bkmeyer wrote:
I have used the Foster Center Tear for years with great success. It is one of my staples and I love the simplicity. I took it with me to Argentina this summer and audiences gasped with the restore. The only problem I had was the Argentine tabloid I was using has a slight gloss on the paper so my glue stick was iffy on some I prepared. I'm now experimenting on better glue stick. I wasn't really pleased with the Elmer's glue stick (goes on purple and turns clear when dry) for its holding power on the glossy paper. The purple color was handy for application but it lacked in hold.

On a different note, has anyone used USA Today for Center Tear? Thanks for input.

Bruce
[/quote]

Only use white glue stick from an office supply store. I use to use Pritt, but it is had to find in stores. Just stay away from kids glues.
I had this years ago and just like Cody I could not figure this out, so never really used it. I am not good at making these things. Ironically before I purchased the Anderson I was told it is complicated but I didn't find any issue with that. Am I wierd?
I love the Center Tear for several reasons. One is simply size. (A bird man doesn't need the larger newspaper coverage.) With a glue stack and a stack of tabloids you can build months of props while watching the news.

I do think that Anderson's is flasher. But on the road, I take the easy way out.
Seeing Neil Foster perform this GREAT trick, among others, at SAM Assembly 8 in St. Louis in 1955 is the reason I became a magician.

This trick was also one of Lance Burton's favorites.....and Lance gave it that special "Lance Touch"....

It's simple, straightforward, elegant, and easier to make up the Gene Anderson's...
Richard was kind enough to send me some more instructions...but alas...I still can't 'get it'...I know it is probably very simple...and once I 'get it' I will probably do a face palm...anyone want to send me a short iphone video on how to make this in exchange for some of my products?

Cody
Center Tear, Center Tear Replacements, and Center Tear Instructions (download pdf) are still available at Abbotts and are still a reasonably good seller.

http://abbottmagic.com/Center-Tear-ABBcnttear.htm

http://abbottmagic.com/Center-Tear-Replacements-pkg-of-12-ABBcnttearrepl.htm

http://abbottmagic.com/Instant-Instruction-Download-Center-Tear-ABBIcntrtear.htm
Hate to bring up an old topic, but I am also trying and failing to make these papers following the original instructions. If anyone has simplified instructions they are willing to share with me, I would be very grateful.
Maybe this will help, put 2 identical sheet together, then make the folds., Now remove the inner sheet, that will be your performance sheet. The top outer sheet will be your gimmick sheet.
I will look for Neil fosters centre tear, if I buy the normal instructions from Abbotts, would I be able to make spares,
[quote]On May 21, 2016, wally wrote:
I will look for Neil fosters centre tear, if I buy the normal instructions from Abbotts, would I be able to make spares, [/quote]

Once you know how it works, you will indeed be able to make spares. Take the advice from those who have posted from 2013 and use glue sticks. And don't make up the gimmick too far in advance.

I'll offer my own tip on this effect here: to make the tear in the paper cleaner, perforate the diamond shape with a pizza wheel. It then tears much cleaner.

FYI - Lance Burton did the Centre Tear in his Hotel Tropicana act for years. So, if you haven't seen it in action, just google Lance on youtube.
Thank you for that advise, I will buy it from Abbotts. Which newspaper do you use here in uk. cheers mate.
[quote]On May 21, 2016, wally wrote:
Thank you for that advise, I will buy it from Abbotts. Which newspaper do you use here in uk. cheers mate. [/quote]

I used to use the Independent. But, as you are probably aware, it is no longer printed. But any broadsheet will do. How about the Guardian?
Here is a relatively recent video of Lance Burton performing the Neil Foster tear (post Lanceís retirement) while Mac King looks on.

I didnít realize that in this tear you donít show the hole in the paper or the back of the paper after the restoration (at least thatís the way Lance did it).

I know this thread hasnít been active in a while. Hopefully somebody will see this post!
Https://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/events/things-to-do/2018/03/20/louisville-magician-lance-burton-cody-clark-magic-show/431492002/

Sorry - here is the link!
[quote]On Jun 18, 2018, MakeYourMagic wrote:

I didnít realize that in this tear you donít show the hole in the paper or the back of the paper after the restoration (at least thatís the way Lance did it). [/quote]

Actually, you show the whole piece that is torn out, no need to actually show the diamond hole. At the end of the effect, the newspaper can be shown on both sides, fully open, and I do just that when I perform it. I would guess Lance did not because with his flow for the act, he wanted to get to the climax of producing the dove.

I also use the newspaper to vanish a broken egg into for my next effect. Then open the newspaper again to show the egg is gone as well. Only to appear in a little black cloth bag, a little later.
[quote]On Jun 18, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
[quote]On Jun 18, 2018, MakeYourMagic wrote:

I didnít realize that in this tear you donít show the hole in the paper or the back of the paper after the restoration (at least thatís the way Lance did it). [/quote]

Actually, you show the whole piece that is torn out, no need to actually show the diamond hole. At the end of the effect, the newspaper can be shown on both sides, fully open, and I do just that when I perform it. I would guess Lance did not because with his flow for the act, he wanted to get to the climax of producing the dove.

I also use the newspaper to vanish a broken egg into for my next effect. Then open the newspaper again to show the egg is gone as well. Only to appear in a little black cloth bag, a little later. [/quote]

In Lance's stage routine both sides are naturally seen as he tears it again to produce the dove. So no need to show other side and it probably would hurt the flow.

I grew up in Michiana and got to see Neil Foster do it both as part of his act and as a standalone. When done as a standalone he would sometimes fold the corner, unfold it, open the paper showing the creased diamond, close the paper, do the tear, show the torn out diamond, tear it into smaller pieces, and then restore. In the act he showed the paper unfolded, folded it, tore the corner and restored it much like Lance Burton (sans the dove joke). I think his standalone way makes a stronger impact as it reinforces the tearing out of the diamond center.

There is a version where the center hole is shown. It was invented by the very creative Sreenivas. It is a fun version to do at Ring meetings as a magician fooler. Not sure it is any stronger with lay audiences than Foster's original.
Reading through this old thread reminded me that I had not seen Lance's signature act for many years , so off I go to YouTube ...

Yes, as good as I remember.

For future reference of anyone reading this thread about Neil Foster's Center Tear , here is Lance Burton's performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBj_Ifln-oo&feature=youtu.be&t=144

Part of what makes this work so well is his seemingly casual handling of the paper by the corners, letting it swing freely several times , then when he rips it apart at the end the audience is led to believe that's the end , but then suddenly another dove appears ! That's a flawless steal. There's nothing he does that telegraphs: [i]"watch closely now , I'm about to make another dove appear."[/i] Such a pleasure to watch.

(how did this topic get into "Boxes , Tubes, and Bags" ? This should be under Finger/Stage manipulation I think ...)

[quote]On Jun 20, 2018, David Todd wrote:

(how did this topic get into "Boxes , Tubes, and Bags" ? This should be under Finger/Stage manipulation I think ...)
[/quote]

A newspaper tear is not considered to be in the class of manipulation magic, as in the skill and dedication it takes to manipulate items.

The topic of discussion here is newspapers, not what other effects skills the noted performer(s) may have and/or perform.
Now see that Penguin is selling Sreenivas's version: [url]http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7748[/url]
Hi Frank Findley,

I bought Sreenivasa's version of the Newspaper Center Tear from Penguin (reasonable price, about $10). There is a lot to like -- particularly that he opens up the newspaper and shows the diamond-shaped hole to the audience. I have one problem though: When I show the back of the newspaper to the audience -- at the beginning of the trick and again at the end -- there is a diagonal seam that shows where the sneaky work has been done with the newspaper. This seam is near the top of the newspaper and seems likely to be noticed by the audience, since the seam always opens up about 1/8" leaving a small but visible gap between two layers of newspaper. Sreenivasa seems to deal with this problem by (a) showing the back of the newspaper for only the briefest moment and (b) keeping the newspaper in motion nearly all the time that the back of the newspaper is visible to the audience. What I'd *like* to do is (a) show the back of the paper more slowly but (b) keep the seam invisible. I have the impression you have performed Sreenivas's trick and like it. Do you have any comment on this problem or how to deal with it? For instance, it may be that even though the seam is visible, you have found that the seam simply isn't noticed by the audience. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Jim Wood
Jim, by seam, do you mean the edge of the paper is lower down on the reverse side. If so, and it bothers you, why not make it so the pages match evenly. The stick a piece of invisible tap over the edge on the back page, that will give you a gap making it easy to insert your finger to drop the pieces in. If that is what you are referring to.
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the tip about using a piece of tape to make the "secret compartment" easier to open with my fingers.

The issue I'm asking Frank about is a different one. Sreenivasa's version of the center tear uses two duplicate tabloid pages, which I'll call Page 1 and page 2. At the beginning of the routine, Page 1 is open entirely, and Page 2 is folded into quarters and formed into a packet that is glued to the back of of Page 1. The audience thinks that Page 1 is the only page, of course, and doesn't know about the packet glued to its back.

In his online demo of the routine, Sreenivasa shows the front of Page 1, then turns it around and shows the back of Page 1, thus "proving" (without saying so) that it is just a single tabloid sheet. Because of the way the packet is folded and aligned with the back of Page 1, the packet *almost* blends in with the back of Page 1 and is *almost* invisible when the back of page 1 is shown to the audience. I say the packet is "almost* invisible, because there is another detail I haven't mentioned yet: The packet has a diagonal fold in it. This diagonal fold extends from the middle of the packet's right edge to the middle of the packet's bottom edge. This diagonal fold is there for a reason I won't mention here, but it plays an important part when the "diamond" is later torn out of Page 1.

It is this diagonal fold in the packet that is the problem: Because it runs diagonally across the newsprint and tends to bulge out slightly, it does *not* blend in with the back of Page 1 and is pretty visible. In his demo of the effect, Srinivasa displays the back of Page 1 very quickly and keeps everything in motion as much as possible so the audience won't see the diagonal fold in the packet. However, I think this hurried display of the back of Page 1 looks unnatural and may make some members of the audience suspicious.

So the problem I face with Sreenivasa's routine is this: I would like to take a little more time showing the back of Page 1 to the audience, so it doesn't look like I'm trying to hide something from them. But I fear that if I let them get a good look at the back of Page 1, they are going to notice that diagonal fold in the packet. Because it seems that Frank has done the trick, I am hoping for his input. Maybe he has found that it's OK to rush while showing the back of Page 1, because the audience doesn't care or get suspicious. Or maybe he has found that its OK to go slowly when showing the back of Page 1, because the audience just notice the diagonal fold. Or maybe he has some other advice I haven't thought of.

I apologize for the lengthy explanation -- if I could make you a diagram or a video, I think it would be fairly easy to show you what I'm talking about. It's much more difficult to put this all into words.

Thanks,

Jim Wood
Jim, you are running when not being chased. As the popular phrase says.

1st this is stage effect with people sitting in chair several feet away. 2nd, the trick is the center tear and instant restoration. The trick is not to examine the newspaper, you are paid to entertain with magic effects. Is examining a news paper, which had been folded, squashed, dropped, carried, and been taken out in all kinds of weather, entertainment for your audience. In my opinion it is not entertainment.

Simple answer put a diagonal crease in the back page, to match. Your worry solved. Heck, crumble up the newspaper before you prepare it, who says a newspaper is suppose to not have any wrinkles in it. The newspapers I see around are a mess. Go to a restaurant in the morning that serves breakfast, guess leave their newspaper all time. See what condition they are in.

I have been doing the Center Tear for over 40 years, and I can tell you that every one I make up is not exactly perfect. I show both sides, that is not the important part, but I do it, I just swing out my arm holding the newspaper to show the opposite side, then back and refold. I think and act like it is just a sheet of newspaper, nothing more. That is an unspoken word that says, "just a newspaper".

You could say, For you that don't recognize what I am holding, this is called a Newspaper, this is how we followed the news in the 19th and 20th centuries. Without this, we would not know what was happening in our cites and the world, along with the latest fashion and sales. See it has multiple sides this side and this side, and an inside and outside. I see something I will need later, (tear out center) I keep this in here. Oh, my wife, mother (whatever fits) is going to be upset that I destroyed the newspaper before she could read it (restore).

Your presentation need energy, enthusiasm, and excitement, that will transition to your audience. Not here look at this side and study every little detail, fold , crease, and see if you can find a flaw.

When I perform this effect, it gets gasp from the audience when I display the diamond magically returned to the center. That is the reason I do it in every show.

Jim I hope you take this the right way, I am trying to explain this trick is good, and none of it has to do with a crease that you worry about.
[quote]On Mar 8, 2019, jamesmwood wrote:
So the problem I face with Sreenivasa's routine is this: I would like to take a little more time showing the back of Page 1 to the audience, so it doesn't look like I'm trying to hide something from them. But I fear that if I let them get a good look at the back of Page 1, they are going to notice that diagonal fold in the packet. Because it seems that Frank has done the trick, I am hoping for his input. Maybe he has found that it's OK to rush while showing the back of Page 1, because the audience doesn't care or get suspicious. Or maybe he has found that its OK to go slowly when showing the back of Page 1, because the audience just notice the diagonal fold. Or maybe he has some other advice I haven't thought of.
[/quote]

Jim, sorry I missed these replies. Yes, I have performed it numerous times. On the pre-cut showing of front and back I move pretty quickly just like in video with the same hand placement shown to keep it flat. I take more time in the post-cut showing. In fact I turn it twice and do the hand poke through as he does. This has worked well. Any suspician should be dissipated by how freely the paper is handled post-cut.
Hi Frank and Bill,

Many thanks for the advice. It sounds like I have been worried about something that I don't need to worry about. I will stop worrying and remember your tips.

Jim
I bought Center Tear back in the 50's at an Abbotts Get Together after seeing a demo by Neil. Almost immediately I thought of combining it with Squircle. Beginning the routine with squircle changes the audience expectation when you do center tear. They see the diagonal fold and assume that you are going to tear along that diagonal line (which is exactly what you do). Then they expect that you will open the paper to show a hole of a different shape (Like Squircle). It's only after you tear the diamond into pieces, and put the pieces into the paper, that they realize that you're going to restore the paper into one piece.

Here's a video of my routine: https://youtu.be/Fe-_hpp9jaU
[quote]On May 31, 2019, tourmagic wrote:
Here's a video of my routine: https://youtu.be/Fe-_hpp9jaU [/quote]

Wonderful thinking! I really appreciate your casual pace and handling. It loses strength if done too quickly. You set up the audience perfectly for maximum impact.
Tourmagic,

Good presentation, I never seen Squircle performed before. It is fooler, and looked great when you did it.

Never thought of using a tabloid size news paper good idea.
Thanks Frank & Bill.

The paper that I use is heavier than most newspapers. The extra weight helps to prevent problems when there's light behind you.
It's called "Casa Magazine". It's 10 3/4 x 13 3/8 inches.
I've always used tabloid sized paper, and as I recall, l the original Center Tear (as sold by Abbotts) used a tabloid sized paper.
My preparation of the extra piece for center tear is modified slightly from Neil's original instructions.
Also, with the squircle, my method of folding the extra piece inside the outer piece is different than in the original instructions.

Tom