(Close Window)
Topic: The Haunted Temple of Quong Hi
I bought this old prop at a Magic shop in Vancouver 25 years ago. (it was from a magi that had passed away.) It is in good shape , needs a little touch up. It came with a photo copy from a Thayer cataloge which basically tells the story line. But no instructions on the handling. It has just sat on a table in my "magic room" as a decoration all these years. But I would like to do something with it. Use it / sell it. But it would be nice to know the handling. I e-mailed Owens as they list a similar prop , but no response. no one else seems to handle this. Does anyone out there know where I might locate the proper handling of this effect? Thanks , Alan
Glenn Gravatt (sp?) published 3 or 4 books of the original Thayer instructions some years back. These are still available from several sources and are a joy to look at in their own right. Many years ago someone had us make a similar piece for their own private collection and we essentially worked from those. I don't know which book it's in- I could look it up if you'd like but I imagine someone else on the Café' will get the info to you before I go home to look.
This is also in "The Great Illusions of Magic" by Byron Wels (Tannen publication), but even though it has full construction details, oddly it does not give a description of the effect.

I also recall seeing [url=http://nnmagic.com/magicitems/okitonielsenpage.htm#checkercabinet]this[/url] at Norm Nielsen's site, but am not sure if it is exactly the same item. There is a video demo which may prove helpful.

~michael
Michael-
The Checker Cabinet is a very similar item but not quite the same piece. I'll try to remember to look this up tonight.
Thank you Dave , and Michael. Michael the Checker cabinet is similar. But not quite the same. I appreciate your help. And Dave you do seem to be familiar with what I have. Alan
That's good to know. I am not familiar with Nielsen's piece, but Thayer's Haunted Temple and Blocks of Quong Hi, as I mentioned, I have the plans for here. It just does not have the routine description, which is unusual for that set of books. I have Thayer book # 1 here, and the instructions are not in it, but there is a photo of the piece on page 235.

I do have easy access to the other books, and would also like to know which book it is in, so I can more familiarize myself with it.

~michael
Thayer Quality Magic Volume 3, Glenn Gravatt pg 157-159 "No. 502-The Haunted Cabinet and Blocks of Quong Hi" $60.00 (Plans $1.00)

If you want me to send you the whole patter, pm me your email address and I'll get to it tomorrow.
Thanks Dave! I can get it from that info.
Thayer also sold a stage-sized (larger) version for $100.

See page 51 of Thayer Catalog No. 9, Volume 2 for descriptions.
Just in case you missed it everywhere else, Alan, I've emailed you the routine Enjoy!
Thanks Dave , Very much , I received it. What a surprise! Alan
I saw this item on Ron Alessi's auction site recently. Wow, what a beautiful piece! They're worth thousands of dollars now!
Do you still have the Quong Hi Haunted checker cabinet I am looking for one if it’s for sale please let me know JOHN MAGIC my phone 626 -2151841
No I don't.