(Close Window)
Topic: Cardini's Billiard Ball Routine
Hey,

I was wandering if anyone could please help me. I am looking for some information on cardinis billiard ball routine. I am looking for the routine in which cardini actually produces many balls (maybe 4 but don't know) rather than just the moves he does in his one ball routine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Roy Benson's book has fantastic billard ball work. Alan Wakeling's book also. I couldn't believe they actually sell such a high level Alan Wakeling magic book at Barnes & Noble. It's kind of a disgrace in my opinion but check it out. $20.00
Ken
All of the above have phenomenal BB work as do Geoffrey Buckingham's books. None are specific to the Cardini routine as far as I know. There's not a lot here but I never tire of sending folks to this site-

http://cardini.tv/

It was put up by Cardini's grandson. I remember having a short tape of a kinescope I got from Lon Cerel but I don't know if it has the BB routine.
I hear that there is no known surviving footage of Cardini's full ball routine, I've not seen it written anywhere either.
Paul
I think pauls right.

I know that tarbell has a large portion of his routine but I can't remember if it has his ball routine,i'm not close to it right now......in fact I've only heard tell of the full mult.ball routine and when I was a kid I saw it in an old black and white movie but that's all I can remember if anybody finds anything I'd be really thankful also.
Not if Todd Karr at The Miracle Factory has anything to say about it. I can't wait to buy that book, if it's anything close to the Benson book, it'll be an instant sellout.
I think that James Cielen has a private home video of Cardini performing his ball routine and Pollock performing his as well
I have very high hopes that when the Cardini book is published, it will answer most of our questions.

In the meantime, a few years ago Paul Chosse posted a very good rundown of Cardini's entire act (Circa 1931) here in The Magic Café. It includes a description of Cardini's billiard ball routine. It can be seen at the URL below.

Levent

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=32801&forum=10
I love Cardini's billiard ball interlude in his "Paging Mr. Cardini" act. It is beyond wonderful and refreshing.

Forrest Chapman
Cardini's Ball Act is not very complicated, yet the moves don't look contrived or rushed. Aside from an occasional flourishsh, neither the vanishes or the appearances are treated like tricks, or pageantry; they happen to his surprise (along with the audience). Just when he thinks, 'Ah, I've got that figured out' - the rules change and his character is forced to act to solve the new conflict.

A great example of this is how he reacts during the match bit. To most it's just a Vaudeville gag, but, Cardini charms his audience with the humorous bit. Whereas, most magicians would roll through it without care. I think this has to do the the notion held by many - the more crammed in a small space, the better the magic. Either, that or nervousness builds up when some magicians don't feel like they're doing anything.
Remember, the tricks are the action, but, the magic happens between the lines. Comedians wait for laughter to die down (space), before telling the next joke.

By allowing the audience to experience the magic, then you too will understand Cardini's time tested appeal. It's simple, but, it's not easy.
Well said, Kregg. I enjoyed digesting that post. Studying Cardini gives me a lot to ponder and think about.

Forrest Chapman
You noticed an important point- read Vernon on pacing and follow his (many) reading recommendations. Then you can see why this isn't juggling