(Close Window)
Topic: Zoran's Horror Cutter
OF all the tricks I saw at the dealer's during the World Magic Seminar, the ONE trick I bought was Zoran's Horror Cutter. Get it at http://www.stevensmagic.com

I did get one book, The Vernon Touch from Richard Kaufman.
Where is this effect located...

I could not find it on the site.
I'm searching for it too :)
Pete it does not seem to be on Steven's site yet.
Pete,

C'mon, stop teasing us...GIVE!

Steve
Yes please.

Whats the effect ??
I'm guessing something gets cut. Could be wrong.
Might be scary, too! Y'think?

Steve
I think it's something like the old remove your thumb gag... WITH BLOOD

From the photo I saw it looks very much like a severed finger and matching bloody stump.
[quote]
On 2007-02-23 19:16, Dave VanVranken wrote:

From the photo I saw it looks very much like a severed finger and matching bloody stump.
[/quote]
Don't sugar coat it Dave, we can handle it.
It is too new for the website... retail $65. It is a box cutter made like the old knife thru arm with a built in blood syringe. Beautifully made, it looks like you can cut thru one of your fingers. When I saw Joe dem it at the booth I had to have it... it takes NO SKILL and comes with a non-gaffed matching duplicate knife.
[quote]
On 2007-02-23 22:17, Pete Biro wrote:
It is too new for the website... retail $65. It is a box cutter made like the old knife thru arm with a built in blood syringe. Beautifully made, it looks like you can cut thru one of your fingers. When I saw Joe dem it at the booth I had to have it... it takes NO SKILL and comes with a non-gaffed matching duplicate knife.
[/quote]
After you cut your thumb off a butterfly appears on the stump. It's so beautiful.

Knife sounds very cool :bat:
Can you turn the blood into a skittle?
"After you cut your thumb off a butterfly appears on the stump. It's so beautiful."

And the butterfly has the "borrowed ring" on a ribbon tied to its hind legs.

Arthur
[quote]
On 2007-02-24 09:44, Magic Arty wrote:
"After you cut your thumb off a butterfly appears on the stump. It's so beautiful."

And the butterfly has the "borrowed ring" on a ribbon tied to its hind legs.

Arthur
[/quote]

But can the butterfly be signed?
Why would the butterfly have to be signed? Just rip part of the wing off for a "receipt" to match later.
[quote]
On 2007-02-23 22:39, Roth wrote:

After you cut your thumb off a butterfly appears on the stump. It's so beautiful.

[/quote]

:lol: You just made my coffee come out of my nose... I hate it when that happens
Hold on, but what about the butterfly's welfare? Lets see if we can't generate 12 pages on that....
Does the thumb grow back? That would be cool. :)

Ron
I'm working on a new "Bobbit Knife" routine for adult shows!
[quote]
On 2007-02-24 11:47, Cabrera wrote:
I'm working on a new "Bobbit Knife" routine for adult shows!
[/quote]

with or without the butterflies?
I'm all thumbs, anyways....
Let's put a DVD together on this :kermit:
[quote]
On 2007-02-24 10:29, Orvec wrote:
Why would the butterfly have to be signed? Just rip part of the wing off for a "receipt" to match later.
[/quote]

...and then restore it.
[quote]
On 2007-02-24 19:08, Xiqual wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-02-24 10:29, Orvec wrote:
[/quote]

...and then restore it.
[/quote]

then change it into the selected card.
I think my Rabbi used this thing on me 50 years ago!

:cucumber:
Just got the cutter. Man, does this look real! Better than any knife through arm I've ever owned.
I always interesting with blood effect....is now on Steven site?
Pls info me where I can see that?
Thanks,
CC
Hey CC, no, it's not on the site yet. But if you call, Joe Stevens may have one in stock

G
I just placed an order at stevensmagic and the customer service was very great. the price is $75. It was only at the magic convention that it had an introductory price of $65. What I found to very awesome about stevensmagic is that if an item isn't in stock when you order it, they don't charge your credit card until it arrives and they ship it. Some other major online distributors need to follow suit to keep some of their customers. I only bought this item due to Pete Biro's high recommendation. I've never seen it or anything. So I hope Pete did me right!! :)
Gabelson thanks alot....!!
I will email Joe now...

CC.
[quote]
On 2007-02-25 00:49, MagicMan1957 wrote:
I think my Rabbi used this thing on me 50 years ago!
[/quote]

Mine had to use a chainsaw. :baby:

I haven't seen this effect yet, but I've heard that it looks fantastic and is very well made.
Pete, as usual, is right on the money with the Horror Cutter. Very real-looking. You've got to really choose your audience carefully with this effect! To me, the natural mechanics of a utility knife lend themselves to making this work more effectively than a knife through arm.
Ok well if its too new for the Website, where can we see or purchase this?
At stevensmagic :)
Hi all,

I am the person who is putting up the demo videos on the Stevens site. I just got one of these from Mark Stevens yesterday, and I took the performance portion and made a Quicktime video of it and put it on the Stevens site. The patter is in German, but I think you'll get the gist of it. Click on the link below, and go to the bottom of the Quicktime videos (since they're listed in alphabetical order).

Have a good one,

Bob Phillips

http://www.stevensmagic.com/videoclips/
Direct link for the lazy:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/videoclips/zoran.mov

That is SO creepy, I'm definitely getting one of these.

[quote]I am the person who is putting up the demo videos on the Stevens site. I just got one of these from Mark Stevens yesterday, and I took the performance portion and made a Quicktime video of it and put it on the Stevens site[/quote]
For anyone who has it, how long do you estimate the blood will last? Also, does the knife seem like its built to last? I work in construction, and we use knives like this all the time, so the effect would go over GREAT but I'm a little worried about carrying a fragile effect around the site all day. I don't want to end up with a broken $75 gimmick. Thanks.
Not really fragile at all. you'd just have to be half way careful not squeeze all the blood out while it's in your pocket. Or....Wait...someone mentions that you're chest is bleeding and you pull out the box cutter from your pocket with the blade exposed...then you run to the trailer while grasping your chest breathing heavily!!! I'm sure they might let you go home for a punctured lung!! lol
Ok I'm getting one.
Me too.
Looks terribly obvious to me, and it also looks like it would be easy to make real cheap. Nothing new here.
Once you see it in real life, I think you would be happy with it. put it this way, go show this to a cop in your town...i guarantee his taser will be coming out and if you didn't stop "cutting" yourself, you'd be twitching on the ground screaming :)
It looks pretty cool (as far as I can tell from the pixelated video) but I thought I heard a very loud "click" at one point in the removal of the blade from the finger. Is this just a glitch?
Well I ordered mine and ill try to review when it play with it a bit.
There's no clik. It is not easy to make...there are several custom bits. I suggest getting a syringe to load the blood--it's easier with one. It is NOT obvious to the spectator's.

If the EFFECT is one you can use by all means get it. It looks a lot better in real time vs. the demo.
Thanks Pete. just so I'm ahead of the curve do you know where I could buy Syringes, without giving the wrong perception. Im in the Military and they would make a big deal about that.
A question about the blood, is it supplied? Do they teach you how to make more?

How easy is it to transport the knife whilst loaded with blood? Any chance of leakage?

Thanks in advance guys!

Logan
The blood is supplied. Stevens Magic does sell refills for $3 per bottle. You can get theatrical blood them from most novelty or costume shops. There are many home-made receipes available online too.

I am awaiting for mine to arrive so I can't comment on the leakage part.
I'm not sure what Mr. Biro is talking about, there is very definitely a click when the razor is removed.

I'd be curious to hear some reviews from people once they've received this. To me it very clearly looks like "the magic growing blade" effect as it gets noticably shorter and longer. At first I thought maybe I was just thinking like a magician, but then I figured that it doesn't take any specialized knowledge to know that those are the types of razors that go in and out of the handle. Perhaps the blood would be disturbing enough that people wouldn't have time to apply logical thinking. Who knows?
CoinMan21,

Thanks for the info! I am aware of the existence of home-brewed recipes, do you happen to have any recipes of preference?

Can anyone comment about chances of leakage?

Magicsquared,

I have to admit that the growing blade thing is there, but it's a discrepancy. I hadn't noticed it when I watched it the first time because the blood and the realistic way the blade ate into the finger mesmerized me. But I did catch it on the 2nd viewing.

I think perhaps the drama of performing this live combined with the realism of the illusion is more than enough to cover up for the discrepancy. Besides, the whole thing is over pretty quickly, so that reduces the time frame available for spectators to make any deductions, hopefully.

I don't have it, I'm just theorizing here.
[quote]
On 2007-03-15 21:12, Logan wrote:

I have to admit that the growing blade thing is there, but it's a discrepancy. I hadn't noticed it when I watched it the first time because the blood and the realistic way the blade ate into the finger mesmerized me. But I did catch it on the 2nd viewing.

I think perhaps the drama of performing this live combined with the realism of the illusion is more than enough to cover up for the discrepancy. Besides, the whole thing is over pretty quickly, so that reduces the time frame available for spectators to make any deductions, hopefully.
[/quote]

You could very well be right. I don't normally mind discrepancies, but this one happens right at the moment where the effect happens and right where everyone should be focusing.

But I've seen people get away with more blatant things, so I'm not discounting the effect, just passing on my reservations.
This is now fully set up on the video page. The buy link is now next to the video demo link on the video page I put the link to above. I was in the shop returning the DVD that I made the demo from, and I saw that they had gotten a number of them in.

Bob Phillips
Here is the burb, is this the same thing?

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=8904
I read reviews......wish I could get demo to work
I plan to be screaming loud enough as I'm cutting into my finger, that nobody will hear any clicking sound whatsoever. :)
That's just to obvious. These utility knives have a "click" feature, so when you extend the blade, they audibly click. It just looked so obvious to me that at the time the most heat is on the knife, you have to extend the blade. Then when removing it, you have to retract it. Im not giving anything away here, you can see it and hear it on the demo! I actually made something similar to this about 5 years ago. It was crude Im sure compared to this, but the click feature is what doomed it for me. If I rendered it silent, then the blade was loose and not stable and wouldnt work right.
Candini...yes, it is the same thing. To get the video to work, go to http://www.apple.com, and click on the QuickTime link at the top of the page. From there, download the free viewer...there are both Mac and Windows versions available.

Bob Phillips
Fastest shipping ever.... If these guys are like this all the time then I'm ordering a lot more from Stevensmagic. I just ordered mine on the 15th and I just got it in. Ill give a play and get back to you guys.
Thanks Bob, looking forward to review Paisa....
So, Paisa brother, what are your thoughts on this?
He bled to death late last evening...memorial service 12pm next Sunday :(
Having owned and performed this for a couple of weeks now, I can tell you this without reservation- for those worried about clicking noises, retracting and extending- the spectator will be too busy trying to stay conscious and choke back their own vomit to think about blade movement. If you're going for shock value, you absolutely can't do better than this. It looks frighteningly real in person.
I just took mine out to see if there was a CLICK... NONE... no nada, nyet... I don't know where you guys are hearing any clicks.

Nobody... NO BUDDY... pays any note of the length change. Forget it.

Don't worry about discrepancies... JUST DO IT as they say.
I really like this. Now it is recommended to clean almost right away to avoid Rust, That might be a small problem depending on what it is that you are doing. But the effect is sweet and fools even you while you are doing it. I plan on using this today as part of an excercise at work to see what real world reactions will be so ill let you guys know hopefully by tonight.
Wow this looks incredible. Paisa, let us know if rusting is going to be an issue!
I got this like 4 days ago , I lve in jordan you don t beliave what I am getting out of this I listeend to mark stevens and it really works , it looks so real even my wife doas nt wan tto look go for it that is great .
From another board:

Zoran's Horror Cutter (Finger) - my review

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=8902

$75 with free shipping (arrived in 2 days)

---- What You Get ----

Gimmicked utility knife
Regular utility knife
50 ml of fake blood
DVD in German
4x6 card with English instructions

All packaged in a cute little box with sponge padding.
Knives come in their own little plastic sleeves.

---- The Knives ----

You get a regular one, and a gimmicked one. The regular one emits a loud CLICK CLICK CLICK when you open it, but the gimmicked does not. Now there's a problem when trying to switch them, don't you think?

The regular is very sharp and can be used to cut paper, etc, but the gimmicked one is fragile and not sharp. One good twist and the gimmicked knife will snap, so be careful. There's also a rust warning attached to the 4x6 instructions that suggest you clean the knife after every effect, and I'd agree with that considering his knife on the DVD contains rust marks.

Obviously the gimmicked knife cannot be handed out for examination. And if you give the regular one instead, they'll be clued in to a switch by virtue of the CLICK CLICK sound when opening. To make matters worse, the gimmicked knife will be oozing blood and stain your clothing if you attempted a switch.

Overall, I say just cut yourself and screw the whole switch idea.

---- The DVD ----

9 minutes, 45 seconds long. In German. Shows you how to fill the knife with blood, angles to use when cutting yourself, how to make the blood gush out, etc. There's not much instruction needed - stab knife into self, blood pours out, spectators yell.

The DVD was re-writable and didn't have a menu, so I had to choose the chapter I wanted manually (only one to pick, was a quick choice).

---- Angles ----

Anybody to your immediate left would be at a "bad angle" and see something they should not. But to be honest, absolutely nobody will be looking at your knife when you yank it off your bloody finger. Plus you can cover the area with your thumb quite easily assuming you retract the blade slightly.

You're also very limited to how you can hold the knife, it must be an overhand grip, no side grip or slightly holding it with a couple fingers. Again, not really an issue.

---- The Blood ----

This isn't your Halloween blood from the dollar store. It comes in a dark glass bottle, looks gross, oozes, is thick and very realistic. I'd keep it a good distance away from any clothing you've grown attached to. The supplied 50 milliliters should last about 50-70 performances depending upon how much you want to milk the effect.

The outside reads "Magic Studio Bern FILMBLUT 50ml Vor Dem Gebrauch Schütteln!!!"

which Babelfish translates to:

"Magic studio Berne FILM BLOOD 50ml before the use vibrating!!!"

I think that means "shake before use". Smile

Refills may be purchased from Steven's Magic for $3 a bottle according to the Magic Café forums.

---- Preparation ----

You must store the knife at a certain angle in your pants or jacket pocket to avoid leakage. Again, the blood WILL stain your clothes and I'm unsure if it washes out just yet. Probably depends on the color, fabric, etc. Stored improperly in your pants pocket and you'll have an embarrassing situation to say the least.

The blood doesn't seem to dry at the "squirt point" of the gimmicked knife, and you can make it ooze slowly out, or slightly squirt for a distance depending upon the pressure applied.

---- Cleaning ----

You must clean the unit every time to avoid rust. Unfortunately since you can't get to certain parts of the gimmicked knife, you're stuck taking it completely apart to fully clean the blade.

---- Performances ----

So I jump outside of my apartment and find this lady walking her dog. In retrospect, I should have chosen a guy, cause this lady screamed like she was being attacked. I recommend NOT opening with this effect, especially on women.

Oozing blood kinda limits where this can be performed. Obviously not appropriate for a carpeted environment or anywhere the stage blood can damage a surface. I'll try it at a bar this weekend, and take a washcloth to clean the blade immediately afterward, and absorb the ooze.

---- Conclusion ----

This looks horrifically realistic. I'm not kidding. If you're looking for an effect to scare the living Jesus out of a spectator, this would be the ticket. SAW just doesn't live up in comparison. Keep in mind the limited scope of where you can safely "ooze", the blood refill cost, limited transportation means and the fragile gimmick.

But with all the considered, I'd purchase another if mine broke or got lost.
It almost seems like the "rusting" issue is actually a nonissue. I put together the demo video, but I really don't own one of these as it does not fit my performing style, but this is definately a strong routine (I freaked when Joe Stevens initially showed it to me). If I were paying that much for an item, of course, I would clean it after each performance to keep it from rusting. This is also not a routine that someone is going to use in a walk-around performance, such as a restaurant which would require instant repeated resets, so the cleaning issue would not be a repeated problem.

Bob Phillips
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=2115&cat=0&page=1
Only bad thing about that version e-man is that its not constructed to dispense blood at all. in that version, you cut yourself and nothing happens. the spec would know that it is a trick knife. with zoran's, they think you've lost your mind.
This is very realistic, probably too realistic, like something you would use on Halloween.

I'm a little concerned how some people might react to this. I know several people who would faint or get physically ill at the sight of the blood dripping from the finger.

No doubt this looks great, but I can't see using this for all audiences. I would have to pick and choose the people and moment.
Is any one having trouble playing the DVD that comes with this effect?

I'm having trouble getting it to play due to a region code incompatiblilty.

Sincerely,
A.J.
[quote]
On 2007-03-28 10:57, A.J. wrote:
Is any one having trouble playing the DVD that comes with this effect?

I'm having trouble getting it to play due to a region code incompatiblilty.

Sincerely,
A.J.
[/quote]

Yes, use "Browse" instead of Play on your computer, then play the VOB files directly. You can use VLC (google it) or Windows Media Player.
Thanks Doug.

A.J.
Doug,
I used my Windows Explorer to open up the VOB file on the disc with Windows Media Player and it worked perfectly. Thanks for your help and insight on this.

Sincerely,
A.J.
[quote]
On 2007-03-28 02:01, lunatik wrote:
Only bad thing about that version e-man is that its not constructed to dispense blood at all. in that version, you cut yourself and nothing happens. the spec would know that it is a trick knife. with zoran's, they think you've lost your mind.
[/quote]

For $60.00 you could create your own blood
[quote]
On 2007-03-28 15:04, e-man wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-03-28 02:01, lunatik wrote:
[/quote]

For $60.00 you could create your own blood
[/quote]

You're also getting the gaffed box cutter of which you probably aren't going to manufacture. Getting realistic blood isn't the issue....
Lunatik,refer to my first above post...
[quote]
On 2007-03-28 02:22, tdowell wrote:
This is very realistic, probably too realistic, like something you would use on Halloween.

I'm a little concerned how some people might react to this. I know several people who would faint or get physically ill at the sight of the blood dripping from the finger.

No doubt this looks great, but I can't see using this for all audiences. I would have to pick and choose the people and moment.
[/quote]

I'm just now getting into magic clowning, and have been looking for some cool effects to use for the kiddies.... :firedevil:
Wow..I can't imagine people being more horrified than with SAW. I just ordered this one and can't wait to get it!

Thanks for the thorough review DougNicols

Marc
My friend said when he showed it to his family they were so upset with him they actually got mad.

I guess when you can pull something off on the wife it must look good!
I just got mine today and wow....this is awesome! It looks so real its crazy. The handling is very simple to master and the effect is unbelievable!

I have trouble understanding people with accents and when this DVD started I kept trying to understand what he was saying....then it occured to me...its in German! I remember reading that now. Really doesn't matter though, once you see it you will know how it works. The thing I didn't like is there was no performance on the DVD for ideas on ditching the gimmick although that would be an easy thing to figure out.

All in all, a great effect.

Marc

PS. Does anyone know what he puts on his finger??? It looks like its a lotion. Can someone PM me if they know what it is and what purpose it serves.
Pretty sure it's part of the patter. Magic cream that heals a wound.
Newb2,

Oh...that makes sense...I didn't know if it was something that helped the effect look better or something. But you aren't 100% on that?

If anyone can confirm or deny Newb2's statement that the cream in the video is just part of the presentation or does it serve some other purpose?

Thanks

Marc

PS. Thanks Newb2....I may incorparate that into my routine...
Hi Marc, I'm german and can assure you the cream is only part of his presentation. He sells it as a cream which heals wounds immediately. (His accent is almost as terrible as the entire trick, just my opinion, I hate tricks like that...) Jan
JanForster,

Thanks!!! I guess to each his own but I absolutely love this one! I love when the spectator feels any emotion very strongly and with this, they do! (not sure if its fear or disgust!)

Thanks again,

Marc
Re-reading this thread I just want to address those that feel a "click" and the blade length matters. None of it is even noticed by spectators. You need to quit thinking like a magician and put on you routine and entertainer's hat.

This little effect is easy to do, and totally rocks.
Pete,

I totally agree...I don't know what people are talking about with a click...I don't have that problem, at least I don't notice it. Trust me, if there is a slight click it will be covered by the gasps of your spectators!!!

Marc
Just performed this for some family and my Mom was screaming and wouldn't watch! This trick/effect just kills people! I love acting like it hurts as I rock the blade back and forth and blood is gushing out!!

This isn't for everyone, but if it fits your routine, you need to get it now!!

Marc
As far as I can tell, the creme serves two purposes- it provides a logical reason for you to put the real cutter in your back pocket, so you can take out the creme and apply it (which enables you to make the sw**ch when you go back to your pocket), and it also allows you to "scrape" the blood off your finger with the knife blade at the end of the performance, as he demonstrates on the DVD.

Gabelson
I prefer to actually cut something before the switch. Subtle way of saying "it's real" without actually pointing it out. I've been cutting up old playing cards to perform a "cut and restored card". Spec holds cut up card, I put cutter into back right pocket to get another card from front right pocket, grab cutter and gash myself.
Gabelson and DougNicols,

thanks for the info. I haven't been having any problems with the switch but I am in a wheelchair so I have a folded up towel on my lap to catch the blood and have the cutters in the folds of the towel. I too, hand it out and hold a piece of paper and allow them to cut it. The real one is so sharp! I then bring it back to my lap and drop it into the fold of the towel and I basically start pattering and making eye contact as I make the switch. Sounds bad, but it works perfectly.

Here is my routine after I switch the knife.

I start to talk about how this is a tough trick to do and I hope I don't mess it up because "that would be really bad" I love this little moment when they aren't quite sure what they are about to see. I then say "here goes nothing" with a little nervousness in my voice. I lightly rub the blade on my finger and all of a sudden a make a gasp and wham...I start cutting and bleeding! The reactions are so intense! I have had people turn away, yell at me, stare in disbelief and one girl today almost started to cry! (don't really like to make people cry) I then hold out my finger with the blood on it and ditch the knife in the folds of the towel. As I drop it, I drop it on top of the real knife while making the knife "bleed" onto the other one. (I have the blade already out) This, obviously is so I can pass the real knife out after. But get this, of the 5 or 6 times I have done this, no one has asked to see the knife or wants to see the knife! They are all still saying how crazy it was. One time when I dropped the gimmick it landed in view and I didn't realize it for about 5 seconds. No one saw a thing...they are all looking at eachother and talking about it. No one saw a thing! I think I could set out a little sign that shows how its done and no one would see it! (well maybe they would)

Anyway, I love this trick/effect...or whatever you want to call it! It's not one of my favorites to perform because its so ingenious or because it is so devious (although it is quite ingenious and devious!!) I flat out love the reactions! Plus its just fun to perform. I know not everyone likes this kind of "magic" but I am hooked! I thought SAW got some good reactions...those reactions are not in same league as Zoran's Horror Cutter.

So if you like this kind of magic, you need to get this right now! You won't regret it!

Marc

PS. I think I am gonna start looking a little closer at those needle thru arm effects!
How about the old needles thru the thumb (under a handkerchief)? The rod thru tongue? The new one where a blister of the chosen card appears on your fingertip?
Pete Biro,

NOW YOU ARE TALKING!!

Marc
Hey Pete,
Your instincts were sooo right as always! I dearly love my Zoran's Horror Cutter.

If you want to acquire blood in the most shockingly realistic closeup manner...You need to take a look at this little knife. Gruesome yes... but still quite elegant.
I love the concept and have been using it since I bought the original, RICARDO'S RAZOR, about 8 years ago.

I guess adding the blood makes it original.

Excuse me, I'm off to invent a new effect myself, rising bleeding cards. Now where did that Arnie Deck get to?

Tony Iacoviello
[quote]
On 2007-04-11 17:03, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I guess adding the blood makes it original.
Tony Iacoviello
[/quote]

I've realized that I never really know if Tony is joking or serious...

I don't think adding blood makes it "original" but it does take it into a completely different realm. I've done variations of needle through arm/hand/neck for a long time and despite using things like borrowed screwdrivers, nothing gets quite the same reaction as blood.

-Carlos
I am very interested in this effect! Is there a video anywhere where I can see this being done?

Hip
http://www.stevensmagic.com/videoclips/zoran.mov
Just an idea , I do the horror cutter in conjunction with flesh wound so I start by cutting and healing the finger and then I perform the cut on my arm and proceed with the peal , I urge you to try this you won t regret.
Anyone on the fence on this one, here is a video I made with my digital camera. Please forgive the quality and sound.

http://www.legendaryegos.com/zorans-horror-cutter.avi

Marc

PS. anyone else have any videos?
Usually there's a disclaimer saying "Don't try this at home" but apparently Marc is a rebel!! It looked great Marc! one of these days I'm going to take it to work and act like I'm depressed about life and working there. I'll then proceed to pull out my lil trash can and start to cut my finger off while muttering "i don't want to live"!!!

ok I would probably get fired for that prank. But my point is that it looks SOO realistic, that they'd probably call police and possibly try to wrestle the box cutter out of my hand lol
Wow Marc that looks great! I'm thinking about getting one. Other than performing on your family have you used this on anybody else Marc? If so I would love to hear about it!
Hiphopperco,

Oh yeah...I have performed it for about 15 or 20 different people. Not at the same time, usually in groups of like 3 or 4 people. Whenever I do this it gets pretty much the same reactions. Shock, disgust, fear and sometimes anger! I have had one girl at work start to tear up. A lot of people just look away also and then glance back from time to time. All in all, if you like freaking people out, get this now.

Marc

ps. remember that the DVD comes in GERMAN...but you really don't need to here what he says. Its pretty self explanatory. Hope you enjoy it if you pull the trigger!
No other perfomance videos out there??

Marc
If you want really repulsive, combine it with a Funkenring to make sparks as you unzip your trousers before bringing the cutter into play :kermit:
I must say Zoran is a fantastic effect! Highly recommended!

Here is a little video of me performing the effect. Tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odXutF-9HS8

All the best,
Chris
Looked good Chris
I got a fake bloody finger from house of chuckles on ebay and hold it concealed in the curled three fingers and have a glass of water on the table so when I do the cutting and at the point I'm about to remove the blade, I open the other three fingers letting the fake bloody finger fall in to the glass and bend the "cut" finger in at the same time which looks like you cut your finger completly off.
Some of the fake blood drips in the glass automatically,adding to the effect.
Grab a towel,wrap it around the injured hand and pick up the glass with the other hand, running out the door yelling headed to the hospital.
I would reshoot it. this time not showing that you're healed. should get some good comments then! other than that, I liked your performance!
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (May 19, 2007 10:31PM)
That is some sickness. It was hard to watch and I know whats up. I cannot imagine doing this for someone that doesn't have a clue. I agree with lunatik, I would reshoot it and either don't heal it or heal it by rubbing lotion in with the blood and make it look like you healed yourself. It automatically looks like it was fake because you are instantly healed. It looked real as can be , gosh it does look crazy real but the ending could be improved imo. NAsty !!!!
For the youtuber's out there, I wouldn't do any healing whatsoever. then wait for responces. I bet they'll think your'e the suicidal type or a cutter. for your real live performances, heal yourself about 10 minutes later after wrapping your finger in some gauze.
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (May 20, 2007 01:56AM)
That is a great idea. Use the gauze and perform other effects and then go back to the wound and unwrap it. Genius idea !!!
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (May 21, 2007 06:45PM)
[quote]
On 2007-04-19 15:01, Pete Biro wrote:
If you want really repulsive, combine it with a Funkenring to make sparks as you unzip your trousers before bringing the cutter into play :kermit:
[/quote]

This would be quite an effect...I'd love to see the Masked Magician "expose"...forgot that!
Youtube will kill magic...

Magic should not be performed on youtube. This allows anyone to figure out the method once they view it the second time (after the initial shock subsides...). Didn't Jamie Ian Swiss write something about this recently in Antinomy?

I was going to add this lovely and charming effect to my kids show and my repertoire of restaurant magic but now... After all, there's no better publicity than having parents spread the word that you terrorize your spectators and make them cry or having patrons run out of the restaurant in complete disgust... In fact I was hoping to perform this on somebody else's finger after putting a blindfold on them and secretly prompting them to scream at the opportune time.

However, now that it's been exposed, I'll just have to move to something else...

Oh well...

P.S. Yes I am being sarcastic...
Hi! this is my first post here. I got the horor cutter a while ago and just found this thread. here's my video. hope you like it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R3H5NkoKUU
That was painless Sparda thanks,
I do indeed enjoy the effect more when the performer does not feint pain in anyway. Pretend pain makes it difficult to watch and it looses a bit of it's magic somehow...to me anyway.
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (May 25, 2007 09:03PM)
Sparda, very nice especially for a first post. Nasty again, but I love it. Nice job.
Thanks. looking foward to posing more :)
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Jun 8, 2007 12:47AM)
Does anyone know if this is available anywhere else but stevensmagic ? I was trying to find it a bit less expensive. Thanks.
[quote]
On 2007-06-08 01:47, donkeys and waffles wrote:
Does anyone know if this is available anywhere else but stevensmagic ? I was trying to find it a bit less expensive. Thanks.
[/quote]

No sir, it is a Steven's Magic exclusive. You can check out the Tricks for Sale forum but I've only seen ONE for sale. It's probably that good.
Message: Posted by: donkeys and waffles (Jun 8, 2007 01:48AM)
Thanks Newb2, I saw the one for sale but as usual, it diappeared faster than a set of 20 inch rims at a p diddy concert. Stevens it is. thanks again.
This is awesome. I am trying to devise the right plot, story for this effect. I will use the guaze idea above and an accident. I need to have a reason for having a first aid kit ready (for the gauze).
Anyone come up with a better way to do the switch? Is it possible to carry the gimmick in the pocket without a mess?
I was thinking use it as a pitch for miricle medical wipes =D
Somebody needs to do a really heavy presentation with this. Something about the ability to control ones own pain. And then, after a pause, self heal. And play it for real, dang it! This is theater, for crying out loud.

I imagine someone coming out dress in scrubs, white please. Spreading a white sheet or perhaps a sheet of thick plastic sheeting out on the floor and sitting cross legged in the middle. From a medical bag, bring out a roll of gauze, set it by your left knee. Then bring out a clear plastic irrigation bottle with rubbing alcohal and a few gauze pads. Use the alcohol to clean the right index finger. While you're doing this talk about how you learned to control pain. I'm not going to do this for you, think learning it in a martial art, or yoga, or having to live with a chronic pain issue. Use your imagination. But do it in as few words as possible.

Place the bottle back in the bag and bring out the blade. Do the cut, but keep a total flat expression on your face the whole time. Just saw and drip, saw and drip for 20 seconds without saying thing. Make the silence work. Finally, let out a faint whimper. Your concentration is broken and your start to feel it a little. Put the blade away. Hold the injured finger out so it still drips onto the plastic you're sitting on. Slowly wrap the wound. Put the remaining props back into the medical bag. Sit with rapped finger pointing up about 10 inches in front of your face.

How do we make it heal? Blow on it? No, over done. Waving a magic wand? please! Maybe a shamanic ritual. . . a moment of close eyed meditation or are these even too hokey in this day and age. Not sure

Then again, if you can get enough blood in the chamber, just keep sawing and dripping blood, and slowly slump over. And have someone roll you up in the sheet and drag you off stage. Either way.

Okay, now what we have here is a parlor piece or something for a small stage.

But here's the deal, if you follow up with a card trick, as much as I like card tricks, I will hunt you down and smack some sense into you with a hard salami.

Raven
By the way, I love this effect.
What so you guys were never inspired by Harold and Maude?
Mark, loved your ideas. I'm going to use my cutter to close my Halloween shows, no card tricks to follow! Would you show the real blade first and do the switch while getting something from the bag, or bring out the real blade at the end?
Just off the top of my head, I would say if you're on stage, you don't need to switch it out. If you bring it out, do the cut, and either put it away or slump over dropping it in your lap (not lapping just naturally dropping it out of sight) nothing would be exposed.

Not on stage? Yeah, you'd probably want to show the real blade at the beginning and perhaps at the end as well.
You rock Mark!!
Aw, shucks. I'm not sure about that, but thanks.
Personally iv been using this as more of a "street magic" type of thing for my own fun. the illusion is so good, because people don;t know your a magician they don;t know what to think
I don't know about just performing this on the street to people who don't know your a magi. If I saw someone pull out a blade and then proceed to cut himself, I'd be on the phone with the police or maybe tackle the person. From being a professional firefighter, I know the police where I work would have no trouble tazing you if they saw you doing that!
[quote]
On 2007-10-19 12:37, J.Robert wrote:
I know the police where I work would have no trouble tazing you if they saw you doing that!
[/quote]

From what I've seen on YouTube, police have zero problems tazing you for any random action you do. Tasing peaceful protesters is my personal favorite.
Well you make it a performance. and not just watch and slice your self. and I don;t walk around the streets looking for people. just a fun thing to do
I just had an interesting idea (I know...YOU'LL be the judge of THAT...lol). Start with the pen thru dollar bill...stressing the healing power you have developed through yoga. Move to the Needle through balloon. A much sharper, more dangerous object. With this you stress the ability to puncture delecate objects without causing damage, etc...then you bring out the Horror cutter..."ooops, this wasn't supposed to hurt..."
I had this it is great and looks so real I have one complaine they could have used a bigger knife the size of the blade makes it easy to brake and less visible it works only for close up that's why I sold mine.
My blade isn't looking too good anymore either, anyone able to get a replacement?
My blade broke after 3 performances and cleanings. So much for the Halloween show... Any word on replacement blades?
I think this is one of the most misused, yet brilliant effects that's come out in a long time. It works very well as a stage effect, you just have to think about color contrasts. Against what color will red show up best? White, my friend, white. Wear it! Sit on it! Clean up with it! Visit the bizarre forum above for some more thoughts.

As for it breaking after three performances and cleanings, remind me not to lend you my tools! ;) Seriously though, yes you need to treat it delicately, though that's true of most things. No idea what the deal with replacement blades is or will be. However, I've been using mine a lot, and it's still going strong. It's not a brick. It's not indestructable, but if you treat it right, it will return the favor (there I go anthropomorphizing again).

Raven
Mark, last night I used it in a show for 16 year olds to adults. It was the closer. I warned anyone with a weak stomach or tendancy to pass out or have nightmares to leave the room (I actually was building it up for the whole show). I then set out a white hospital sheet, sat cross legged, and began talking about shamen, priests and preistesses, and medicine men of ancient and present day tribes. About how they used trance-like states to put their minds in a place where pain wasn't real anymore. About how they used these demonstrations to prover their power over the body and mind. I pulled out a first-aid kit and pulled out some gauze and alcohol wipes (had to be sanitary about it). I then spent a little time deep breathing and "entering my trance". Used the real knife to cut open the guaze packet and then put it back in the kit to make the switch. (Also, when I took out another guaze sheet, I was ready to go for "fleshwound" if you are familiar). I began by cutting my arm as per fleshwound and then going right to the finger. Blood was dripping all over the white sheet and showed up great! Then, in a sorta crying type voice began repeating "I can feel it, I can feel it..." after removing the knife from the finger I ditched it in the kit and pulled back my skin with the fleshwound gimmick. Gave everyone a few beats to see what was going on and then used the guaze to clean up the gimmick, and immediately wrapped my arm with guaze and cling and left it. Then I said something to the effect that real medicine men were the ones who could self-heal, then wiped the blood off my finger to show it back to normal.

It was great. At the conclusion to the effect, I ended the show ("My body now needs rest, and with this I shall leave you tonight..." or something like that). About 5 seconds later a guy (20 year old) passed out--hit the floor with a "thump". I jumped into EMT mode (that's my real job) and went to help him. He woke right up and was fine, and once I knew he was fine I couldn't help but have this little bit of satisfaction that I made that much of an impact. Everyone loved the show and how deep it was. Just wanted to thank you for the ideas! -J.R.
Nice! That's what I'm talking about. It's always a good time when someone faints! :)
My blade is starting to look a bit rough. I try to clean it and keep it dry as best I can, but there have been times that I haven't been able to get to it right away. There are some corrosion spots on the gimmicked blade--the normal one looks fine--I even thought about trying to add corrosion marks to the normal blade so the switch looks ok. Has anyone been able to track down replacement blades? The gimmicked blade really is fragile and it's only a matter of time till I break it. I have no intention of spending that much on it again, so I hope replacement blades become available. -J.R.
If you're gimmick blade has some rust spots try using a product called "Bar Keeper's Friend." You can find it at Kroger, Walmart, etc. It's a powdered cleaning product that is used to remove rust and corrosion off of metal. I have used it to clean my dime and penny set as well as my Holy Moly washers. I haven't used to clean the Horror Cutter blade but I would assume it should work just fine.

Matt
I tried using steel wool to clean my blade and it didn't work. I then tried a very fine grit sandpaper and it worked, but scratched the blade a bit. I started making my own replacement blades that are as good as the originals, but a pain in the a** to make, if anyone is interested in one PM me.
Just checking...

Do you still get both a gaffed and non-gaffed cutter? The ad doesn't seem to make any mention.

Also is Stevens still the only supplier - none in the UK?

Thanks,
Jon.
I bought mine from a local brick and mortar, but he apparently got a few from Stevens at a convention. Mine came with both a gaffed and un-gaffed knife.
Anybody know where you can get refill's of the original blood that comes with the knife I'v tryed many other blood's but non give the same affect
Can anyone let me know where I can purchase the rubber bulb. Mine has perished through constant use and I cannot find any source in the UK.

I personally use the knife while performing a finger chopper routine, the spectator has their finger in the finger chopper and I explain that a surgeon suggested I use a wooden bladed chopper, "It is easier to stitch a finger with a rough cut", look I'll show you!. I then pull out the knife and cut the spectators finger with it. They cannot move because their finger is in the chopper!. As part of the whole routine it gets a great reaction.....but you do have to be careful who you do it with.
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to bring it back for Halloween. It's a shame that the blade is not made of stainless steel. For how much this trick cost it should have. I'd like to get one and maybe spay the blade with some kind of finish to stop it from rusting. Has anyone found a way to stop it from rusting ?
Thanks
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to bring it back for Halloween. It's a shame that the blade is not made of stainless steel. For how much this trick cost it should have. I'd like to get one and maybe spay the blade with some kind of finish to stop it from rusting. Has anyone found a way to stop it from rusting ?
Thanks
Thanks
Maybe if you had some good metallic paint...maybe rustoleum?
Never had a rust problem. Just remember to wipe it down after use and keep it dry.

Best "knife through" illusion I've ever seen.
Thanks gabelson, I just ordered one yesterday. I'm allergic to tetanus shots, so putting anything rusty near my skin is a bad idea.
Thanks gabelson, I just ordered one yesterday. I'm allergic to tetanus shots, so putting anything rusty near my skin is a bad idea.
Came today, and I was happy to see an extra gimmick blade was included.
Came today, and I was happy to see an extra gimmick blade was included.
Where can I buy this? Vikings is sold out. Can't find it anywhere else. Tempted to try make this myself. Plastic pipette bulb full of blood and a blade that goes sharp to dull to recessed?