(Close Window)
Topic: Taste Conditions Review
There has been a lot of interest surrounding Morgan Strebler's latest offering, Taste Conditions. I was privelaged enough to recieve a preview copy of the routine, which officially launches Thursday, March 1st.

Whereas most reviews start in the beginning, let me fast forward, and start in the middle. Early on in the treatise, Morgan insists that you try the effect yourself, before going further and reading the routine. Not only do I agree with Morgan, I feel it is absolutely INTEGRAL. You simply CANNOT perform this routine and do it justice if you don't know what the spectator is experiencing.

And just what does the spectator experience?

Quite possibly one of the strangest, surreal, short circuiting of the brain, that's what! Even knowing the method, the experience is simply bizarre.

The effect, for those that are unfamiliar with it is simple. A spectator is invited up on stage, and a unique experiment utilizing the participants imagination is performed.

Taking a sip of water, the spectator swishes it around in their mouth, whereupon it transforms, IN THEIR MOUTH, into MOUTHWASH!

That is the basic effect, and it is cool.

Taste Conditions is a limited edition effect, limited to 250 copies. Each person who buys a copy will receive a PDF of the effect, as well as a signed hard copy.

The PDF is simply laid out, and only contains a couple of photographs, but truth be told, that is all that is needed.

Morgans instruction is, as can be expected, concise and thourough. Morgan also employed a unique technique to make learning and understanding the routine even easier; he has color coded the text to reflect what you are actually doing, what the audience sees, and what the spectator is thinking/experiencing. At first it may induce an epilectic seizure, but very shortly thereafter, it becomes a welcome addition, as it really does acccelerate the learning process.

On to the actual methodology of the effect. All that can be said here is 'Clever'. That is the only word I can think of to describe the method. Morgan has developed a method that will simply bring a smile to your face after you experience the effect. I wish I could delve deeper, but I would run the risk of exposure. Suffice to say, the method at play is very clever and effective.

The effect depends almost entirely on some clever presentation and psychology. Combined with the actual method, it creates a very convincing illusion.

The illusion is simply stellar. It must be experienced to be believed. I was fried myself, and I knew what was coming. Imagine what an audience would experience, not knowing what is about to happen! Strong stuff.

Given that this is a weird blend of psychology, presentation, and clever thinking, this effect will most likely be best suited to mentalists. Some magicians will most certainly use this too, but it really is a mentalism type effect.

Another thing Morgan should be commended on is his outward honesty regarding the effect, its strengths, and its limitations. Morgan EXPLICITLY states that this effect is for formal settings, and is NOT reccommended for street, walkaround, or close up performances. While I feel the effect is simple and practical enough to perform ANYWHERE, I must take my hat off to Morgan for addressing this concern up front. If only more people were as up front with the limitations of their material.

Lastly, I should mention that I have developed a routine, called Taste-icular with good friend, Josh Nekrep, which appears in my 1337 notes. While similar, the two routines differ wildly in not only method, but also in effect. Both involve transforming water into mouthwash, but are handled in completely different fashions. Morgan's effect is certainly mental-ccentric while my effect is magic-ccentric. I have discussed my effect with Morgan, and he agrees that they are in different arenas.

In my research, I discovered several similar plots to Morgans. Michael Weber, Ted Lesley, and others have explored similar ideas.

Regardless of whether you are a magician or a mentalist, Taste Conditions is simply too good to miss.

HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED.

Sean Fields
VERY nice review, Sean!! Thanks bud!

-Vinnie
AWESOME review Sean! I was pretty quick to make my purchase some time ago and am eagerly awaiting my e-mail in the next day or so. How exciting! By the way.....what are you 1337 notes??? I have explicit and x-rated but have not heard of the other.
I love reviews written by Sean. They tell you a lot more than just "this effect is good". To answer tuffnavyrn, the 1337 notes are part of Sean's next big project.
Thanks for the info kytmagic......I'll be on the look for those.
Sounds great!
Excellent review, thanks for that. I was already highly awaiting this, and placed my order the second I saw the pay link. Now I know its a quality product, I just cant wait.
How long does the water stay in the spectator's mouth before "turning" into "mouthwash"? Can the length of time be varied?

Michael
I may have to "Scope" this one out.... :) ..
[quote]
On 2007-02-28 12:34, joseph wrote:
I may have to "Scope" this one out.... :) ..
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm gunna 'wash' out for this one! HAHA, puns are fun.

-Vinnie
I also just recieved a preview of this and Sean I couldn't agree more.

Morgan thinks outside of the box. He told me about this a long time ago and I was eager to hear his work on it. When he told me simply that a spectator names and drink and the water in their mouth transforms in to that drink my mind was buzzing.

Right away I was thinking of cheap and terrible ways to do it, I thought of chemicals and switches and all kinds of impractical methods that would sound good as advertising blurrb but simply wouldnt deliver.

Reading the detailed treatise on his approach Strebler has achived something that I would never have dreamed of but I KNOW I am going to start work on tomorrow and be performing as soon as I fit it to my style.

Again, I hope he charges a hunk of cash for this as he deserves it for its originality alone, nevermind his concise explanations and the fact he details every moment recounting it all through his personal experiences with the routine.

A winner!
That's two really positive reviews, excellent. Im glad its turning out to be what I was hoping for.
Me too! Less than 24 hours now................
I just ordered it, I wonder why you cant use it in the street, I hope I can use it at the bar
Can't wait! I hope this will be worth the dough :)
Service189, its supposedly possible to do it in the street, but its down as being not suitable because people in the street might not be happy taking a swig from some random persons drink, and then to spit it out after. I did read that its got nothing to do with the method for being down as not suitable, and if you think you could work it in the streets than you can.
Thanks, I guess in an hour we wil know
Tick....tock.....tick...tock
Can't wait to see what sort of reviews this is going to generate. I wonder if Morgan sold all 250 copies? Good for him if he did but we all know exclusive doesn't necessarily mean exclusive. Just ask Aaron Delong about his exclusive release of "Believe". Boy I hope that mess doesn't happen with this one. Hopefully all purchasers will keep this to themselves and not get too wordy on answering questions about the effect. Keep a tight lip on this one please!
10 min. and counting
12:09 and no e-mail yet
Same...i expected it to be vegas time however?
LOL, like it would be Magic Caf?time!!!
As of the time in this post, it's 9:42 in Vegas
Well, I just got mine so I am wrong, It is Café time!!!
COOL!!
James
Wow, I'm loving this, its fantastic.
I read on Morgan Strebler's site that the booklet is limited to 250 copies but after the 250 booklets are sold out it will only be available via PDF.

Quote from Morgan's site

"After we are out of the 250 limited edition booklets,

Taste Conditions will ONLY be available

as a PDF file that will be instantly

delivered to you via email"
http://www.morganstrebler.com/store.html

If you want the booklet then you should get your order in soon
The method can be used anywhere, so limitations aren't on the method but rather Morgan being overly honest when it comes to where he'd be comfortable doing it.
Just read the pdf, this is great stuff, cant wait to try it out, tried it on myself it realy works just like it says in the ad
Purchased mine last night, have not received the ebook yet but I am not worried, I sent off an email to Morgan and I'm sure it'll be here by the time I finish work today. looking forward to the effect.
I just ordered myself a copy now, this sounds FANTASTIC!

-Erick
After the anticipation and hype I got my copy last night and have just finished reading for the 5th time and I have to say.............d*** right it was worth the wait. This effect will easily play for real world audiences and definitely workable. I tried it on myself and was very pleased with it's workings. This is not overly difficult to perform by any means. Aside from methodology of the effect the layout of the pdf itself is very clean, concise, no fluff and very well thought out. You can tell a lot of time and effort was put into it's production. Instructions are very clear and detailed and take a unique approach to learning as you get an idea of what all involved parties should be experiencing as you read the instructions. No angles left out with this e-book. I plan on trying this out this weekend with some family and friends.....should garner some Oh my G's. I thank Morgan for being very honest and forthcoming about limitations involved with the presentation of this effect.....he is not kidding when he states this effect is not for street performance. Anyhow, enough of my rambling. Just do yourself a favor and get this....no regrets here.
To anyone that owns it - can you use any liquid, or are you stuck with mouthwash?
I would say you are not limited to mouthwash. There is a possibility that some concentrated juices would work......grapefruit and orange come to mind. The effect was designed and scripted specifically for mouthwash. If you own the pdf you will know why. Having played around with this since getting it I can't imagine trying any other type of liquid aside from mouthwash as there really is no other reason for anything else. Also, keep in mind there is also a bit of innocent psychology involved here and mouthwash is what works best.
I am still waiting for my .PDF :( Can't wait!
Tuffnavyrn,

Thanks for your review on this.
I would also just like to add, that whiskey seems to work infinitely better. As good as mouth wash is, try doing this effect with whiskey. I guarantee you'll amaze yourself.

-dustin
Taste Conditions...

Worth Every Penny...

I wouldn't put my reputation on the line promoting crap ( I HATE that practice ) and I feel that everything I review is done in honesty and fairness.

Usually ( except in extreme cases ) If I don't have something good to say -- I won't review something.

Taste conditions is an incredible effect. I had it described to me by Morgan, and spent many nights trying to work out the method.

To no avail...

When I recieved my PDF copy -- I tripped over my own chin.

What a great piece...

The PDF is done very well. Clear, concise instruction.

The effect is golden. A real world routine for the stage. By this for walkaround or close-up and you will regret it. This is a point Morgan stresses.

I performed this for a small informal group. Devestating reactions. Powerfull stuff.

I could see this being performed by Derren Brown....

Better yet -- I could see myself performing this!

The method -- is GREAT.

I attempted to convince Morgan to issue secrecy agreements with this piece, or at least jack up the price.

It is way to good to have been released.

WICKED WORK MORGAN!
How is this for casual everyday performances for friends at work, home or a party?
Perfect.
Not sure if this was asked before or not, but does it HAVE to be water that changes into the other liquid, or can it be something else?

Thanks.
-Vinnie
Most effective with water....

IMHO
This piece will work best in small forums such as a parlour setting or cabaret....heck your living room is the best.

I agree Amade3us that whiskey is maybe better, but how many people have you ever met that have never swished mouthwash versus the number of people that have never swished whiskey.....(not too many can stand to do shots of that anyhow)? Mouthwash (to most) has a plesant and quite noticeable odor.....whiskey on the other hand can be quite the opposite and even very repulsive to some. Try performing this piece on someone that has never drank whiskey before or does not like it and I guarantee you WILL NOT achieve the desired effect. If anything you might just give up the method and walk away very embarassed. I'm not bagging here just suggesting you not stray away from what is given. Morgan has 10 years of toying around with this effect and it's this kind of time perfected and honed presentation skills that he has put on paper to share. Remember sometimes it take a lot of time to get out all of the kinks for a solid performance piece and this is one of them.

I personally like the idea of mouthwash for obvious methodology reasons but more so because a lot of effects with liquid seem to involve either milk, juice or alcohol. Tell me one effect where mouthwash is used........let alone one where the water changes to mouthwash while in the specs mouth. I mean if it were something else like a juice or whiskey some would say hey that was pretty clever but when they spit out mouthwash....well, again mouthwash triggers psychological responses with everyone because again just about all have tried mouthwash and are very aware of it's distinctiveness. I think the funnest thing about the effect is it's totally unexpected as it just happens. I'm glad I have this!
I picked this up mainly on impulse after reading Sean's review. I read through the entire PDF twice now. Like Sean I fried myself when I just did a quick test to see if it really worked. The method is really ingenious and almost impossible to believe at first glance, until you try it.

I haven't had the itch to try an effect on someone else this bad since I picked up Fraud by DG. I picked up some Calamine lotion to subdue the itch until I have really put in the time to get this presentation down properly. I honestly believe this effect will knock someone out of their chair in astonishment IF you put the time in to work out the performance and presentation. I almost wish this was limited to only 250 people....

--Jim
Maybe we could ask Morgan to change his mind on releasing the pdf to all after the 250 printed copies are sold???? Just a thought. :0)
Brian, I do see your point very clearly. The performance that Morgan highlights does, in fact, work much better with mouthwash. I was more so just trying to get the idea out for people that purchased this trick to give it a try with whiskey, as I feel the illusion is greater. Obviously, you cannot take the same routine included in the PDF and just substitute whiskey in, but I'm currently reworking the entire script to be used with whiskey. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the effect originally highlighted as being water to whiskey, and only recently changed to the water to mouthwash? I had assumed the reasons he changed the effect to mouthwash was more for a liability issue, as opposed to the mouthwash actually being a greater effect. There's a very good chance that my assumption is incorrect, but I still included it just so you know where I was coming from.

All the best,
Dustin
Can you do water to wine? Seems to be the obvious change. There's a reason for doing it.
[quote]
On 2007-03-02 10:36, Platt wrote:
Can you do water to wine? Seems to be the obvious change. There's a reason for doing it.
[/quote]

Good question, I'm curious also.
How long did you have to wait to get the PDF file? I orderd mine two days ago and I still have not received it. I have two bottles of listerine just itching to be used.

Michael
[quote]
On 2007-03-02 12:07, magicinsight wrote:
How long did you have to wait to get the PDF file? I orderd mine two days ago and I still have not received it. I have two bottles of listerine just itching to be used.

Michael
[/quote]

About 5 minutes after I placed my order I had the PDF. I think Morgan stepped away for some coffee during the chaos yesterday otherwise I think I might have had it in 2 minutes =).

Have you tried e-mail him at morgan@morganstrebler.com to ask if your order somehow was misplaced?

--Jim
Jim,

I just sent him an email. I hope he responds soon.

Thank you very much.

Michael
Jim,

I sent Mr. Strebler an email and he sent me a reply within minutes. He informed me that he tried to send me the PDF fiel but it would not go through so I gave him another email address. I appreciate his prompt reponse and courtesy.

Best regards,

Michael
I just received the PDF file from Morgan and it is a great effect. It is a terrifc effect expecially if you play it up, as recommended, as a power of suggestion effect. It is simple but seemingly very effective. I will try it out on myself and my wife later. Highly recommended.

Michael
I like the idea of whiskey, wine or some other thing for the fact that I don't like my adience spitting things.

Platt stop thinking like me. Or was it me thinking like you. I was also thinking about water to wine. Wine is something everyone has tasted some time or another.

Is it possible with wine?
Something to keep in mind on the e-mails from Morgan. The first few e-mails from him went into my spam folder on Gmail. I would keep an eye on any spam/junk folders and mark those e-mails as not spam if you find them there.

Cheers,

--Jim
Hey Jeff- glad to see youa re back!

I too bought a copy based on SF's review - since he is also a Winnipegonean - and yep, it is a gem! A great concept that one can play with - just looking at this thread someone already came up with the whisky angle I was thinking of (and also a logical patter change for a wish-drink effect)...

Although not walk-around... if a little imagination you could do it...

In any case, bravo to MS for taking a small fact of the human mind process and creating an alchemical delight.

(Yes, alchemical!!!!)

High recommendation!

Dr S
Spek:

Every one keeps saying I'm back...

;)

Maybe counting chickens.

At any rate --

morgan is great. He has worked hard and long on this effect -- and now we/he/us have something worthwhile to show for it.

:)
I’d like to thank all of you for your kind words about Taste Conditions. I’m very flattered!! I genuinely hope all of you have as much fun performing this routine as I have had over the years.

Thanks,

Morgan
This thread is making it hard for me to hold off. I do not currently have my own stage show, I just perform for friends at parties, etc. So I'm a bit worried that this will not be practical for me.

But after hearing what Morgan has put in the PDF/Manuscript about its own restrictions and altogether no BS way of putting together his piece, I just may buy it out of respect for him!

On the fence...
Didn't Angel do this on one of his tv episodes? (Water to beer) ..
Joseph, if memory serves correctly, I think he changed the water to beer inside a glass with a coaster over the top, and then had the girl taste the beer to show it was real...

=]
-Vinnie
The easiest way to know about some of the different changes is to try it. This is really hot and wished I had thought about it.
Curiousity got the best of me, so I too purchased TC. It's a fascinating principle/fact that I, and probably many people, are very familiar with. There's a novel I once read by Tom Robbins that actually speaks to this phenomenon in great detail.

Pros:
1. Fascinating reminder of how our senses work.
2. If your show involves hypnosis, you've got a real miracle.
3. The supplies couldn't be cheaper.
4. When they spit the water/mouthwash out, they amazingly will feel they have freshened their breath.

Cons:
1. $28. It's all subjective. But for me, sorry that's a bit much for a one trick script.
2. Besides the gross out factor, it's really not for walk around (as the creator says), or every day casual performance. IMO this would only work if you (and the spec) has sufficient time and patience to get into a supposedly hypnotic state. In other words, you can't just walk up to somebody and and turn water into mouthwash. You absolutely need to "train" the spec. with a hypnosis warm-up. I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but for me it's a con.

I've only tried this on my girlfriend and it didn't quite work. She couldn't quit laughing at my hypnosis suggestions. But I will try again and report.
I humbly say one can do it without hypnosis - just a lot of suggestions :) - seriously, don't make the hypnotic angle overt- because that actually can cause resistance...

I've done the effect with whisky twice and it worked fine.
HINT^
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 4, 2007 03:51PM)
This really is becoming hard to resist! I haven't in a long time seen an effect with such positive reviews from everyone! Only Platt's review so far has set me back...
[quote]
On 2007-03-04 16:51, Christopher Williams wrote:
This really is becoming hard to resist! I haven't in a long time seen an effect with such positive reviews from everyone! Only Platt's review so far has set me back...
[/quote]

Don't let me hold you back. It's $28 for one script. That's a lot no matter what's written on those pages. This is good stuff. I think the principle this is based on is fascinating. Even if you know why our senses work the way they do, it's extremely counter intuitive to believe this method could work. And that's a very good thing.

Time will tell. But for my style and comfort levels, I think I'd only use this as a one on one experiment. Again, I'll report back when I get this to work.

-----

Okay just tried it with whisky on my girl. Sorry to report it didn't work. I wish it did but it didn't. Would love to hear about success stories. I have none yet to share.
How much does it cost to make the gimmick and can I do a comedy routine with this?
I got Taste Conditions, Clever idea and - sound - like a killer effect BUT I have some problem with the spitting procedure.
In my opinion The all finish ruin the effect in aspect of performance. The show can become to a big mess whaen the spec spit on the performer hand ...
I hope you used good whisky, Platt!

I would say you got to try it on someone new... I did the mouthwash thing this AM on someone - went over fine - but I also know this person is a foodie - I actually think screening a bit with a couple of questions of those who like food and wine for their taste helps the success rate - you want someone with good senses... i.e. just like being careful to choose someone with or without glasses....

Chris W - buy it! It is only one script - but at least MS puts a lot of thought into it. Its nice just to see wll his work for this one effect. I think one shouldn't judge how many effects are in a manuscript - but all the little subt., process of thought, and innovation goes with it.

Although that is just MHO. If you hate it afterwards, don't blame me!
This sounds like an awesome effect. However before I order I must ask, Has anyone had any negative results? (Except for the laughing girl friend)
Charlie
I tried it again and it didn't really work out. I wish it did but it didn't. I didn't use the recommended water to mouthwash but rather whisky. Clearly a lot of people here have purchased this. It would be great to hear some reports.
Going to give it a try this coming weekend. Just wanted to get enough practice/polish time in before trying it out on someone.

--Jim
I performed this on a group of friends after a dinner party a little while ago...

I used mouth wash...

Got a great reaction.

You need to set the stage, and you need someone that is not going to laugh at your suggestions...

the effect is magnified by 100 times if the person takes you and what you are doing seriously...
I am eager to hear from anyone that has tried a blindfold with this routine. I know a few people I would probably need to use a blindfold on for this but I probably would just skip doing it for them anyways.

--Jim
A blindfold?

why?
Morgan had suggested it for people you didn't feel would keep their eyes closed during the process (p. 20 if you are curious where I came up with that). I don't really think this is ideal for the 'unwilling' spectator but I wanted to see if anyone had tried it using a blindfold and if the reaction was equal to the reaction without it.
I missed that part...

I wouldn't use it to be honest...
Platt - I'll back up your contention that $28 is a lot to pay for one clever idea. $28 is the going rate for a whole book or DVD full of clever ideas and routines. Or a subscription to a magazine with hundreds of clever ideas published each year.

I'm sure the product is execellent, but why couldn't it have gone on a DVD or in some lecture notes with several other effects? That would make for a better value, imo.
LOL....

OK, I disagree....

bsears...

this is a great effect...

and all of the most clever dvds and books I have ever bought cost me much more...
Personally I prefer it in the book format that was delivered to my house. I can read it anywhere and anytime I want to without lugging around a laptop to read/watch it. The clarity of the writing and directions given in the book pretty much eliminates any need for a visual aid beyond the pictures given. As far as cost goes I think it was probably 3 bucks more than the average cost for a single effect. I have plenty of whole books and dvd's full of clever ideas and it was worth what I paid for this effect from Morgan. There is something to be said for quality over quantity.

--Jim
Got my pdf copy last night.. again some problems with spam deletion, so morgan sent it to another address (fast turn around on that one thanks!!)

its a shame I don't have a booklet copy.. lugging my macbook around while I read and learn it all is a bit of a shame.. but.. it looks like a good routine I can work with...
[quote]
On 2007-03-01 20:15, tuffnavyrn wrote:
Having played around with this since getting it I can't imagine trying any other type of liquid aside from mouthwash as there really is no other reason for anything else.
[/quote]

water to wine, to scotch, to pepsi... I wonder if several tastes can be done...

If you look up in the bizarre section, I posted something long time ago that a guy did something extremely familiar to this, but pouring from a bottle of water, one could taste scotch/pepsi/lemonade....
[quote]
On 2007-03-04 17:09, Platt wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-03-04 16:51, Christopher Williams wrote:
[/quote]

Don't let me hold you back. It's $28 for one script. That's a lot no matter what's written on those pages. This is good stuff. I think the principle this is based on is fascinating. Even if you know why our senses work the way they do, it's extremely counter intuitive to believe this method could work. And that's a very good thing.

Time will tell. But for my style and comfort levels, I think I'd only use this as a one on one experiment. Again, I'll report back when I get this to work.

-----

Okay just tried it with whisky on my girl. Sorry to report it didn't work. I wish it did but it didn't. Would love to hear about success stories. I have none yet to share.
[/quote]
If you do this exactly as Morgan has suggested, it works. Its 99% presentation. You have to be able to sell what you are doing much as in mentalism. Hope this helps.
[quote]
water to wine, to scotch, to pepsi... I wonder if several tastes can be done...

If you look up in the bizarre section, I posted something long time ago that a guy did something extremely familiar to this, but pouring from a bottle of water, one could taste scotch/pepsi/lemonade....
[/quote]

any idea when?? or a link to the post.. I'd be interested in reading that..
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 07:30, naquada wrote:
its a shame I don't have a booklet copy.. lugging my macbook around while I read and learn it all is a bit of a shame.. [/quote]

please. print it out. don't have a printer? take it to local copy station staples, kinko's, etc.)

s
For those interested, the mouthwash goes over better than the whisky.

The colour does make a difference and is a nice visual punch at the end.

$28 too much? Its the price you pay to know before everyone else.

Besides, I like this effect as I doubt many people will actually perform it - it really is a guts and glory effect.
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 11:58, the Sponge wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 07:30, naquada wrote:
its a shame I don't have a booklet copy.. lugging my macbook around while I read and learn it all is a bit of a shame.. [/quote]

please. print it out. don't have a printer? take it to local copy station staples, kinko's, etc.)

s
[/quote]

the PDF is protected against printing editing or re-saving... so printing isn't an option.. however.. thankfully it seems I'm in the first 250 orders.. so I get booklet too... so no need to lug the macbook :)

and yes.. I know there are pdf password removers out there.. but they don't always work.. and most cost :)
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 13:08, naquada wrote:
the PDF is protected against printing editing or re-saving... so printing isn't an option.. [/quote]

if this is true, I am glad you mentioned it as it is not mentioned on the website.

s
I'm not sure why the printing is an issue...

the first 250 get it in booklet form...
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 15:58, the Sponge wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 13:08, naquada wrote:
the PDF is protected against printing editing or re-saving... so printing isn't an option.. [/quote]

if this is true, I am glad you mentioned it as it is not mentioned on the website.

s
[/quote]

It is true. More protection for the creators. All for it.

--Jim
Because after 250, they don't...Plus, it is a big issue. Selling a print protected PDF is ridiculous, and there is no good reason for it. It certainly doesn't keep pirating from occuring. It only punishes the people that legitimately purchase the PDF.
I know for a fact that the release of this was meant to limited...

I don't think that this is a punishment at all...

consider it a perk for the lucky 250...
"After we are out of the 250 limited edition booklets,
Taste Conditions will ONLY be available
as a PDF file that will be instantly
delivered to you via email."

This doesn't sound very limited to me...Hopefully it will be printable at that point.
I cant see the big issue with it not being printable... Ok so I was lucky I managed to get in the 250 limit to get a printed booklet as well. but I was more than happy with the pdf.. I travel a lot and always like something to read as I go.. The trick is good enough for me to have transcribed into my moleskin notebook to re-read on my travels..

The danger with PDF's is that they are very easy to spread around. I think limiting the printing is a fair way for Morgan to protect his intellectual rights.. if he didn't do that, he might as well have put it up on his blog for anyone to copy.

I'm happy with my purchase, and even happier that I'm not going to have to transcribe it into my notebook..

It's worth the money.. and still under 250 when I brought it last night.. order it now and the non printing won't effect you :)
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 16:54, MarvinSanRemo wrote:
Because after 250, they don't...Plus, it is a big issue. Selling a print protected PDF is ridiculous, and there is no good reason for it. It certainly doesn't keep pirating from occuring. It only punishes the people that legitimately purchase the PDF.
[/quote]

I am curious how you came to the conclusion that the inability to print the document and resell it doesn't help deter pirating. There is a good reason for it, otherwise it wouldn't have even been implemented this way.

Hopefully more people follow Morgan's example.

--Jim
Creating a non printable document, and one where text is not selectable -- creates an inability to input the doc via a scanner, run OCR (Optical character recognization) software, edit the doc, and send it to the masses...

If you can print it -- you can pirate it...
Why haven't I recieved my book yet?!
I helped out on this project, I did the graphic on the front and spoke with morgan numerous times on the phone about the script. It is fun isn't it? Amazing when you try it yourself.
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 18:02, Jeff Richards wrote:
Creating a non printable document, and one where text is not selectable -- creates an inability to input the doc via a scanner, run OCR (Optical character recognization) software, edit the doc, and send it to the masses...

If you can print it -- you can pirate it...

[/quote]

Impressive, and very technical sounding. But you are thinking about this too hard. I will make it easy for you. Check out the attachment (scaled down so I could attach). It doesn't matter if the PDF is print protected, it only takes a matter of seconds to pirate it if one wanted...This is a simple screenshot using Faststone screen capture. No need to reinvent the wheel.

The point is, it doesn't slow down piracy at all. Especially considering most piracy is peer to peer trading anyway. The only thing that really keeps people from trading material is watermarking with the purchasers name, and password protecting the file.

I am not advocating piracy. I certainly want their work to be protected. But there are better, smarter ways, of handling the material. Denying people the ability to print the document doesn't help the cause. It only bothers the people that own the material. I have printed out every single PDF I have purchased. Its not a perk...
If a creator decides he wants to release 5 copies of a book, and leave the table of contents out of all but one -- that's the decision of the creator...

I think morgan's work should be praised, instead of aching about not being able to print it...

come on guys...
When the spec spits it out it is the colour of mouthwash, as that's what it is.
[quote]
On 2007-03-09 11:21, Jeff Richards wrote:
If a creator decides he wants to release 5 copies of a book, and leave the table of contents out of all but one -- that's the decision of the creator...

I think morgan's work should be praised, instead of aching about not being able to print it...

come on guys...

[/quote]

I am sorry Jeff, but this is just pure ignorance...You attempt an argument to support print protection, then this is your conclusion. I have read many of your posts over time, and its clear you are the type that likes to be right. Your post was designed to do just that, be right. So to help stroke your ego, I will help out, you are right. It is up to the creator to do whatever he wants. Bravo. Thanks for that insightful post Captain Obvious.

Sadly you are missing the point. Its not just about the material. Its about the packaging, presentation, and delivery of that material as well. To deny people the ability to print the PDF is ridiculous, and does not solve anything. Its been stated many times on the Café that people will not buy a PDF that they cannot print. I am sure Morgan does not want to lose out on sales because of this fact. I would be upset if I had purchased the PDF and found out it was unprintable after the fact. The least he could do is make that point apparent on the website.

To the other guy that figured out the effect. There are many effects that are easy to figure out, this was one of them. But it would not keep me from purchasing it, as I am sure the material contains nice routining and subtlties to sell it to your audience.
[quote]
I have read many of your posts over time, and its clear you are the type that likes to be right. Your post was designed to do just that, be right. So to help stroke your ego, I will help out, you are right. It is up to the creator to do whatever he wants. Bravo. Thanks for that insightful post Captain Obvious.
[/quote]

Marvin...

Maybe you should read a few more...

My point was that the creators can do what they want....

which is true is it not?

The last thing I need is to have my ego stroked by a bunch of guys like this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d00pTfhD4Vw

on the Café...

Thanks for the shot though...

Maybe captain obvious needs to recalibrate his "OBVIOUS-OBSERVATRON"

I'll put it down like this...

If you want to pass up a very valuable effect, which could be a reputation maker, because you can't print it -- then that is your perogative...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......that video is ****in funny!!
Sorry if this has been answered, I didn't have time to read every post. Does the colour change? Most mouthwas such as listerine is blue or green, and water is clear.. So after the water changes, does it come out blue or green like mouthwash?
Yes it does...
Actually, your point wasn't that at all...Perhaps you should re-read your own posts. You tried to defend something, with a very technical, yet dumb argument, and it got shot down. You had no more answers, so you turned to "the creators can do what they want". that's brilliant!

Thanks for another insightful post Jeff. Go back to trying to close out the mentalism forums to new people lol.

Also thanks for the attempt at a put down. It was funny. Nice to know what you think about the people on the Café. You better get back to Burger King, your show is starting soon.

I will talk to Morgan about the printing issue.
[quote]
On 2007-03-09 11:56, Hoagini wrote:
The trick is limited to 250 because it deserves to be leaked out. Come on... mouthwash? Do you know how easy that is to get people to think they have in their mouth. If it's only mouthwash the water "turns" into then it's not that impressive. Why not turn into gatorade or even better, coke into pepsi? Does the participant spit out the "water" and it's blue or green? I doubt it. Unless this it the case, the trick is one of those "running on my reputation" kind of tricks. Besides, analyzing the participants saliva is kind of unsanitary. A man's gotta eat I suppose.
[/quote]

well maybe this trick isn't for you... I find it a bit shocking that you say 'deserves to be leaked out' are you saying that if a trick isn't impressive to you, then the author should be hurt by having his work pirated?? IF you purchased the effect ( I assume you havent) then yes.. the participant spits out the mouth wash.. or.. as others have hinted here.. whatever you use... water to coke.. to wine.. or whatever you try and works... There;s some clever thinking and scripting in the effect.. that's what your paying the money for...

I think the topic's got a bit off thread now.. it was a review of the effect.. which is very good.. and is recommended.. if the effect isn't (no pun intended) your taste.. then I guess you shoudl move on.. it seems to suit many people on here.. and fits in very well with morgans style, and others...
Jeff, thanks for the youtube link - that was a hoot!

In the end, Morgan decided to release an effect. You get an actual signed copy #'d. Perhaps the price is for we who are also collectors besides the price of the effect. Like always, the effect is worth more or less depending on you and what you want to present.

If someone wants to PDF protect, big deal. I would say the key thing is that should be in the ad when you buy. Right now, hard copies come so when they run out maybe MS will change his ad copy. If you really hate those things, buy a program that erases it like the programs that let you pirate DVDs. I wanted the book because I like reading things on paper vs. monitor myself - hence also another reason to have bought it.

As for thinking something deserves to be "leaked" - such thoughts speak more to of the people who hold such thoughts than the effect under discussion.

Can you do other things besides mouthwash? YES. You see, many of us who like more theory and looking at effects for some new twists on principles usually want to change the whole thing around and make it special for our own style. MS has brought forward a classic principle and given it some fresh life giving anyone who thinks a bit outside of the box a nice motivation to think of new things.

i.e. the value of the book beyond the effect as written is: 1) understanding how long it takes to really hone an effect 2) inspirations for effects 3) Morgan is a good guy who wants to demo magic to all sorts of people 4) thinking of things outside of the usual magic fallbacks 5) psychological scripting i.e. why do something ahead of the main effect to help create the write conditions i.e. there is a reason to get the person into relaxation, meditation and deep breathing before you proceed with the meat....also, I like seeing how people structure how they write up and present the effect and MS has given a colour coded guide from the actions, the script, and the likely POV of spec and audience.

In any case, I am happy wih the item.

Bravo Morgan! Keep the ideas coming!

Dr S
I want to clear up any concerns you may have about the PDF restrictions on Taste Conditions. At the current time, the PDF version is available as an added bonus to ONLY those people who have purchased the booklet. Please review the “ad copy” below:

“As an added bonus,
everyone who orders the booklet will also
receive a free PDF version of Taste Conditions
via email!! We don't want you to
wait on the booklet to get started!!”

Please be assured that when Taste Conditions is released soon as a “stand alone” product in the PDF format, the entire document will be easily printable. Otherwise, the current PDF version was simply provided as a convenience to those customers that ordered the Taste Conditions booklet.

As always, thanks for your interest and continued support of my magic!

Best Wishes,

Morgan
I wanted to voice my two cents. This is a good effect. However, the reviews don't emphasize that it is really suited for a stage/parlor kind of show. It could work for a party, but it wasn't really the impromptu kind of thing I was looking for.

I also echo Platt's comments. I think if the situation presented itself, then yes, this would be phenomenal for me, but the effect as read in the ad copy is not exactly as the manuscript reads.

I don't mean this to come off as harsh, but I let curiosity get the best of me, and for $28 bucks I was expecting something a little more impromptu, not stagey. If that's even a word!

Pete
[quote]
On 2007-03-12 14:43, pbg739 wrote:
I wanted to voice my two cents. This is a good effect. However, the reviews don't emphasize that it is really suited for a stage/parlor kind of show. It could work for a party, but it wasn't really the impromptu kind of thing I was looking for.

I also echo Platt's comments. I think if the situation presented itself, then yes, this would be phenomenal for me, but the effect as read in the ad copy is not exactly as the manuscript reads.

I don't mean this to come off as harsh, but I let curiosity get the best of me, and for $28 bucks I was expecting something a little more impromptu, not stagey. If that's even a word!

Pete
[/quote]

You should probably read the description a bit more closely next time then...

"PLEASE NOTE: This routine is recommended for close up, stand up, and stage show performances. It is NOT recommended for walk around or street magic environments."

--Jim
Anyone know why isn't there a demo video?
[quote]
On 2007-03-12 15:11, Hoagini wrote:
Anyone know why isn't there a demo video?
[/quote]

Some magic creators are honest enough in their descriptions not to need to produce demo videos.

Plus- this isn't a DVD, and so there isn't really anything to demo on video.

The effect is as it reads. No need for a demo, that's why.
Actually there's no demo because that would tip the method.
[quote]
On 2007-03-12 15:03, jimbowmanjr wrote:
[quote]

Pete
[/quote]

"PLEASE NOTE: This routine is recommended for close up, stand up, and stage show performances. It is NOT recommended for walk around or street magic environments."

--Jim

[/quote]
He said the reviews, not Morgan's website.
[quote]
On 2007-03-12 22:09, Drizz wrote:
Actually there's no demo because that would tip the method.
[/quote]
That's not strictly speaking true. The only way that a demo video would tip the method is if it used a already common-place sleight of hand that most magicians know, which Taste Conditions doesn't, or if the method was obvious, which it isn't in TC, or it wouldn't be much of a trick would it?

I do see your point about sometimes not having a demo video in order to stop people working out the effect by watching it, and that is fair enough. But in this case, I think its more of a secondary reason, and the primary reason is simply because there is no need. What you read is what you get as far as the product description goes, and its a paper manuscript, or a book.

Not many magic books or manuscripts have demo videos.

I'll ask Morgan to confirm or deny my thoughts and I'll get back to you.

//Edd
[quote]
On 2007-03-12 22:11, Drizz wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

Pete
[/quote]

--Jim

[/quote]
[/quote]

The actual review, first page, first post:

"Another thing Morgan should be commended on is his outward honesty regarding the effect, its strengths, and its limitations. Morgan EXPLICITLY states that this effect is for formal settings, and is NOT reccommended for street, walkaround, or close up performances. While I feel the effect is simple and practical enough to perform ANYWHERE, I must take my hat off to Morgan for addressing this concern up front. If only more people were as up front with the limitations of their material."

I guess that could have been overlooked somehow though.

--Jim
[quote]
On 2007-03-13 21:25, jimbowmanjr wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-03-12 22:11, Drizz wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

Pete
[/quote]

--Jim

[/quote]
[/quote]

The actual review, first page, first post:

"Another thing Morgan should be commended on is his outward honesty regarding the effect, its strengths, and its limitations. Morgan EXPLICITLY states that this effect is for formal settings, and is NOT reccommended for street, walkaround, or close up performances. While I feel the effect is simple and practical enough to perform ANYWHERE, I must take my hat off to Morgan for addressing this concern up front. If only more people were as up front with the limitations of their material."

I guess that could have been overlooked somehow though.

--Jim

[/quote]

That's great, but he said the reviews.
Both Sean Fields review, mine and others, and the Ad copy warn that this isn't impromptu, or for walk-around.
Edd,

See what happens when everything goes from books to dvd? Reading comprehension goes down the tubes.....
I asked:
How is this for everyday casual performance?

[quote]
On 2007-03-02 00:29, Jeff Richards wrote:
Perfect.
[/quote]

Seems pretty straightforward to me. I asked a simple question, I got a simple answer. The truth is, it's not perfect for everyday casual performance. In fact it's not practical period. It's a great effect in theory. And I applaud the creator on his great thinking. It's just flawed. I asked for success stories and I've heard only one or two. I'd love to hear more. But I don't see them coming.
I keep being quoted. This is a great effect, just not something feasible for me.
Platt...

IMHO it is practical for the casual everyday performer...
Does anyone else have problems performing this for people of a little bit higher intelligence? I don't want to bash the potential of this effect, but the "method" seems quite obvious for people who are well educated (and sober). It has worked quite well on some of the younger people I've tried it on but I find myself becoming very careful in choosing which spectator to use. I'd like to think that it is MY performance that is causing the issue but it seems like if you try Taste Conditions out on a skeptic or 'thinker', no matter how good your performance is, you're taking a chance.

I hope this message is not too cryptic but I don't want to give away the method. If anyone has some performance tips, for potential skeptics, they would be appreciated.
[quote]
On 2007-03-14 10:10, jimbowmanjr wrote:
Edd,

See what happens when everything goes from books to dvd? Reading comprehension goes down the tubes.....
[/quote]

Yep. Or should that be the youtube, just to be even more cynical, :).

Honestly guys- great effect. Plays as it reads, and the ad copy is honest.
Wow, not one more experience of this working?
?????

What happened to the discussion here? I assume it's that people bought it. Again, has anybody really used this? I don't mean negative but I'm pretty sure this doesn't really work.
Platt,
I purchased it, and received it promptly with great service. The book is very thorough, well written, and clear. I tried it on myself as some have, but wan't impressed like some of the posters have been when they tried it themselves. I've not tried performing it yet, so have no imput there.
The problem is that this routine is that it doesn't do what it claims.
I do own this and have to agree. It's a neat principle but has very little to no chance of working in real world settings. I do not believe anyone is doing this consistantly with success. No way. So I'm not surprised to see a complete lack of reports on this forum. Sorry, I applaud the creator on his thinking but, 20 some dollars or free, this is just not a worker. Again, has anybody used this with even a moderate degree of success?
I got this and the first thought I had was it's only usable in stage situations where the spectator isn't going to have open communication afterward. The audience is going to be fooled from the spectators initial reaction. But I don't see how the spectator couldn't know what happened when they're in their seat after the effect is over. Anyone who regularly uses mouthwash I think would catch on. Doing this for any sort of group who can talk to each other afterwards would just be silly in my mind. Since I'm not a stage performer I won't be using this.
Is this only good on stage?
I was looking through ol' Bascom Jone's MAGICK when I came across an effect that uses the same principle... the principle does work - its the execution... you probably think I am maybe making false claims, but I have had success with Taste Conditions when I do all that prep work....

As for the Magick effect - get this - you get the spec to decide on one senese - touch, sight, smell, taste and hearing when you clap your hands... using the 6th sense, you will divine not only what sense he or she chose, but what he or she was thinking about in regards to that sense.... and it works! After reading TASTE CONDITIONS, using some of the psychological subt. suggested (especially the d*** b******* with the right context)- I got the thing working even better...

Don't PM me - the effect is the 6th sense in the last volume of the collected MAGICK works.

The principle works - it is how you use it... I actually stick with the 6th Sense with my adaptations thanks to MS versus the actual taste conditions because that can be done anywhere impromptu - including strolling.

Honest.
Is this Taste Conditions??? It looked a bit "hinky" (especially the actual change of the liquid w/ the coaster) but the effect seemed to work
Ooopps..this:
http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=5092C162-D741-4EDD-8678-3BA40D66A8D9&t=c3098&f=06/64&p=Source_AETN_AE&fg=&GT1=9246
Neat
Lol..."is that your favorite beverage??"

"Yes!"

- So why the hell are you drinking water?

=P

M:C
Yep,
Stooged again!!
Bought this item,but I realized that this trick will turn many stomachs in the audience. Spitting a mouth full of liquid out of your mouth into a glass in view of the audience is digusting. Just my opinion.

ps-Reminds me of spitting in the dentist sink.