(Close Window)
Topic: I just PM'd you, Why?
I see this phrase regularly on the Café, but why?

Some one asks a question that you feel the need to PM them about, why broadcast this. Is it just to try and catch up with Jonathon? Is it to fluff their own ego? Is it to stop others from PMing too?

I just can't think of a good reason, anyone out there do it? Please try and tell me why so it can stop bothering me.

Or does this bug anyone else, it may well be just me, but I hope not.
I just PMed you with the answer...

;)
Would it be better if we said, 'I just Tony Blaired you?'
I most often see it (and do it) in the let's make a deal section.

Monkey see monkey do in my case.
Yea I never understood that either considering that, when you get a PM, you will be alerted automatically.
I hear ya ampc,
There is quite a bit of public thanking for PM's going on as well...which I find odd since... would you not already thank the person within the PM environment? Hmmmm.

Oh and thanks for the PM amosmc.

See?
I PMed you to tell you "You're welcome"...

;)
Sometimes when deeply engrossed in the wise words available here it can take quite a while to notice you have a PM.

I imagine the PMer notices the PMee is online - and alerts them they have mail.

Like the neighbour with whom I'm disputing a shared fence - he calls over said fence 'I've sent you a letter - it's in your ******g letter box.'

A neighbourly act.

Destiny
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Mar 5, 2007 07:46AM)
In the some case where somebody is asking for advice. PM announcment might indicate that he/she might want to say "got it, no worries folks."
If a person asks a question here, of a delecate or exposing type nature, and six people send him a PM, then the topic looks blank to those who look at it next. It appears that no one has answered. I like seeing those little notes.
I prefer to see a post something like:

Let's move this to secret sessions so you can get a better answer
I can tell you exactly why. There are things you should not say here at the Café, because there is a very large group of hobbiest's who's only outlet in magic is to pick apart other's words, so if I have something to share with you that can be misconstrued by these people I will PM you. Sometimes it is the only way to ensure an adult conversation.
Al Angello
I get the point that if EVERYONE responds via PM then the topics look empty and then others may post just in case, but is this a bad thing?

And IF the subject is delicate then a PM is often the right approach (I PM'd someone just before starting this thread). And as Jonathon says, it can be beneficial to move a topic to the SS to allow a more open discussion.

Al, I'm not sure you have the same end of the stick as I do. I'm not against PM's at all, in fact I think they are fantastic. It's the self fluffing that goes on with the 'I must post so that people can see how great I am' that forces people to say 'I just PM'd you' in a thread that gets me.

Destiny, I hope you get your fence fixed soon. Mind blew down recently and it's a pain in the bottom
Examples: In order to not embarass you, I just PMd you...Before you get into a discussion about this I just PM'd you...By the way because there is a jerk ready to pounce on this subject I just PM'd you...ALERT! Warning Flag! Check your PM box...You F'n moron, I've been eMailing you for a week so I just PM'd you....
I want to buy that what your selling, I just PM'd you...I realize you don't want to mention price here so I just PM'd you...No need to answer this guys sale, I just PM'd him...I don't want to answer this publicly but I do want others to know I'm involed so I PM'd you...This is Off topic for this thread so I just PM'd you, check it and get RIGHT back to me!! etc etc

Of course all done with a simple "I just PM'd you."

BTW: I didn't just PM you. :)
Human Nature....it's just a backup plan.

Brett.
Acmp
I have had posts erased here because of my blunt language, and it hasn't happened lately, because of PM's. I am refering to the j**k that jumps down your throat, and you are refering to the j**k on an ego trip, I say it is the same j**k on a different day.
Al Angello
Maybe posts shorter than 5 words shouldn't count toward you post count. That way there would be no reason to suspect that folks are saying "Pm'd you" just to boost the count.

I'm not sure what good the post count does anyway (aside from the magic #50). I'd just as soon not have it displayed. What's the point? I'd also like to be able to edit my "Rank" to say something like "court jester" rather than elite or special user etc etc.
Hey Doug, I get some of your points, but not others, maybe it's just me. I can deal with that.

Al, I understand your point, I have a bit of a sarcastic streak that could get me into trouble.

And yet, I don't feel the need to post a 'I just PM'd you'. Maybe it's an individual thing and some feel it is helpful to add this to a thread. It's just not my thing.

Honestly though, it just looks like clutter to me and it makes me wonder who they are trying to impress with their secret messages.
I just had a thought. Posts in the Let's Make a Deal Section don't count anyway, so they can't really be doing it as fluff...

Elsewhere maybe.
Fair point Jim, but only if they realise it too. Otherwise it's just empty fluff
Am I the only one who is jerk enough to say: "So?"

Who cares about post count anyway? I've seen guys with massive post counts get ripped on just like I do. And I am really great.

Also as I am now a "inner Circle" guy I care even less....
Wait, this doesn't add to my post count. Why am I even here?
Post count? YAWN. Those who get into the 50 post threads find what? The Drinking Thread in Bizarre? groan.

ACMP...who the hell is 'they' with secret messages? Just coversations is all I have and I suspect most have. It's not like we PM each other about your avatar. But if we did you would rather it be private right? Just kidding. (really)

These posts to the Café will be on the net for all time. Easly seen for all time, if you google or search. Private PMs are not. I have chosen numerous times to NOT talk about certain things in public forum for all kinds of reasons.

And all those things had NOTHING to do with you so you really weren't left out. :)

Empty fluff? This a conversation not rigid volumns where actual pages are printed. Think of all the useless fluff in a phone conversation. You either take information that relates to you or not. And OF COURSE it's an individual thing...what else could uit be?
My mother often calls me to tell me that she sent an e-mail ;)
Mayhaps, specific to the Let's Make a Deal Section, this is done to "stake a claim" or to "call dibs" on the item up for sale?
Just because I think I may need my asbestos suit soon and it's currently at the cleaners...

I like PM's.

PM's are good (usually)

Post count was important to my, right up until I passed 49, then it dawned on me that there are more important things here.

My personally gripe is when, mid thread, you get the 'I just PM'd you' post

And then, I just love the way threads evolve and twist. This really is an organic environment, made up of those little 1's and 0's. It's a good job no-one would want to put this in a book, it would kill it.

And Doug, my flat beer is of more concern than my avatar, but thanks for thinking of me.

Well at least mt random slippers are still working.
'll get you to some good beer...unlock those wheels on the Gurney.

Unfortunately I didn't PM you to tell you where you could pick up the beer.
And now for something completely different! Why do people use the number/pound symbol when they write out a number (#37), isn't it redundant, not to mention a waste of ink?
That's the #1 stupidest complaint I have heard.
I've sent you a PM.
Was that PM #1?
I'm sending you all a # of PM's.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Mar 6, 2007 08:30PM)
Any card at any #
I just assumed it was so that people would know there is a PM waiting for them that they should actually read. Pretty much everytime I come online I have a message, which is a broadcast message, and that leads me to not check my inbox from time to time. So I feel it's just a heads up and a "you should check your messages this time" type scenario.

PM me with your thoughts...or not.
The only reason I will say "I PM'd you" is to mark my spot in the traders section. Nobody PM's me with the total price just to say here is my e-mail, thanks and let me know what your address is. So then with a quick click I can see the last pages I posted on and find the info. The reason I usually don't ask the seller is because it may be a day or two before they get back to me, but if I alreay have thier e-mail I can paypal and get things moving.

It drives me nuts to when someone says I just PM'd you in regards to an answer. I understand if it is something secret or "for your eyes" only type thing, but why the heck do you say it and not just do it? Hey how about leaving the information so when someone sees it and has the same question 2 years later that info will be there!
I check my PM's when I see the banner, I check back to threads when I log on. When I log on I see the banner.

I saw the banner today, clicked it and spotted the broadcast message. It took only a few seconds and they don't pop up that often so it's no bother.

[quote]It drives me nuts to when someone says I just PM'd you in regards to an answer.[/quote]
At last! I'm glad I'm not the only one.