(Close Window)
Topic: Tenkai Question..
Not to sure where to post this but...

Where did the Tenkai palm get it's name? Just wondering about the history? Also, what's the deal with the Gooshman pinch and the Tenkai Pinch? They are the same move (I think) so why the two names?? Just looking for a bit of a history lesson..

Ben
The name for the Tenkai palm was taken directly from it's creator, Japanese magician Bob Tenkai, as was the Tenkai Pinch. Albert Goshman popularized the move (the pinch not the palm) and his name just kinda stuck there, despite his constant reassurances that he learned Tenkai's move from Ed Balducci.

The modern version of the Goshman pinch (which can be seen on Jay Sankey's videos) differs from the Tenkai version in the way the hand moves to enter the pinch. Jay credits Scotty York for this contemporary
handling of the "Goshman Pinch". Clear as mud, eh?

Good golly I'm spewing magical lore. What has happened to me? (I'm sure Andi Gladwin will be along momentarily to correct any oversight I may have made, the little punk.)
:mad:
:blackeye:
:bwink:
By the way, I was just joking about the Tenkai's first name being Bob. It's not Bob.

It's Dave. :nod:
Hey, thanks!!!!

Learn something new...

Ben
Honestly, it comes from tenkai-land. A happy place where all things are between thumb and palm. :sun:
While we're on it, any tips for the Tenkai Card Palm. Position, but mostly the angles???
(good, bad and the ugly)
For those who care to know, Tenkai's first name is Ishida.

As for Tenkai palming of cards or jumbo coins, the only good angles are when people are in front of you and the back of the hand always faces toward the spectators.

If you get spectators off to your sides your angles are shot.
It's a little known fact that Ishida is actually the Japanese derivative of Bob.

It's true. :nod:
Yak,
This is true actually. In Japanese, Robert is Ishidaranoisanda. Ishida, of course being Bob.

Sable
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
I knew that.

:no:
Reminds me of the old story of Ten Ichi, and his student, Eleven Ichi...
And then there's that great Chinese magician from Peking. His name was Tom . . . also known as --(yes)-- Peking Tom.
Don't forget "Fu Ling Yu."

Sorry.
[quote]
On 2002-02-01 11:32, yakandjak wrote:
(I'm sure Andi Gladwin will be along momentarily to correct any oversight I may have made, the little punk.)
:mad:
:blackeye:
:bwink:
[/quote]

Sorry I'm jumping in late here! Everything seems present and correct ;) (j/k).

One thing though, Tenkai's full name was not Ishida Tenkai, but actually Tenkai Ishida. A subtle, but important difference! I'm also pretty sure that the palm was originally published in the card section of John Northern Hilliard's Greater Magic.

--Andi
hmmmm...what's the Japanese derivation of "Yakandjak?" It can't be "Bob..." maybe "Bobo?" :dancing: