(Close Window)
Topic: Best & Worst L&L Publishing DVD sets
It might be interesting to have a discussion on our favourite and least favourite DVD sets from L&L.

L&L remains my favourite producers of DVDs, but lately I feel like I have been getting burned on a few purchases.

Let me start of the discussion.

BEST:

Bill Malone – all 4 DVDS are great. His performance alone is worth watching over and over again.

WORST:

Max Maven – Nothing. A $100, 2-DVD set that was of no use to a casual performer like me.
Harry Allen DVDs, BEST :)
So far I haven't seen any bad DVD's from L&L.
Among the best is Garret Thomas, Bill Malone, Richard Osterlind, Michael Ammar.. just to name a few.
You know, I loved the performance... however I didn't find the tricks that useful in Tommy Wonder's DVDs. There were a couple I can use but just not that great.

I don't know... Maybe I'm judging too hard.

Fraser
I remember back when someone would put out a DVD and it was packed with solid stuff. Then the Easy to Master Card Miracles came out and everyone decided they could no longer release anything other then 3-4 DVD sets. Now each DVD has a few good items and the rest is filler. As a result, I don't buy many DVDs anymore.
Same for me, I also didn't like Nothing from Max Maven.

Best ... Richard Osterlind: Mind Mysteries
Ixnay, at one time you would be absolutely correct. I even recall on the Roth coin videos Roth would be talking to someone off set about the director wanting another version of the same coin move put in and Roth not liking the idea. You would get three tapes amd maybe...maybe... a quarter of the material was worth looking into. Now they are once again coming out with single dvds or two discs and some have excellent material across the board. Sure the bad still is out there but there are some great exceptions. Thank goodness the 'it has to be in three's' days seem over.
Best: Josh Jay. These DVD's contain great magic, practical and commercial routines that can be used in the real world. They are great to watch too.

Worst: Harry Allen. These are without a doubt the worst DVD's I've EVER seen, and I've seen a lot. Not only is the material poor & completely unoriginal Harry's "comedy" where he insults each audience member is disgraceful IMHO.

Iain.
I have to agree, Josh Jays dvd's are underrated!
Another vote for the Garrett Thomas dvds - great entertainment value and incredible magic. I do not own too many L&L dvds so I cannot really think of a bad one.
[quote]
On 2007-03-05 10:57, Peo Olsson wrote:
So far I haven't seen any bad DVD's from L&L.
Among the best is Garret Thomas, Bill Malone, Richard Osterlind, Michael Ammar.. just to name a few.
[/quote]

Agreed. So much more to add to Peo's choices including the Joshua Jays, Harry Lorayne's, Bruce Cervon's and Gregory Wilson's.

The worst for me was Max Maven's Nothing.
Which L & L video has the most outrageous audience reactions? There's this one guy with curly hair I've seen in a few of them and he always goes pretty crazy. Sometimes I find him more entertaining than the performer!
[quote]
On 2007-03-06 11:23, adamc wrote:
Which L & L video has the most outrageous audience reactions? There's this one guy with curly hair I've seen in a few of them and he always goes pretty crazy. Sometimes I find him more entertaining than the performer!
[/quote]
Personaly I find the audience more annoying than entertaining, my favourite are the Osterlind DVDs.
[quote]
On 2007-03-06 11:23, adamc wrote:
[/quote]
I think you're refering to John. My favorite "John Reaction" is from Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries where he seems to laugh without any reason whatsoever. I think at one point, Osterlind himself even asks him what he finds so funny. Classic stuff!

Alas we've not seen John on any L+L DVD's for ages. Pity! ;)

Iain.
[quote]
On 2007-03-05 11:06, Fraser Orr-Brown wrote:
You know, I loved the performance... however I didn't find the tricks that useful in Tommy Wonder's DVDs. There were a couple I can use but just not that great.

Fraser
[/quote]

I probably won't perform any of Tommy Wonder's items, but these are by far my favorite of the DVD's from L&L and probably amongst my favorite DVDs in general. I absolutely love watching these DVDs.

I don't think you are judging too hard if you are basing the value of the DVDs on the material you can incorporate into your act. I think you like the DVDs but found them to be for entertainment puposes for you rather than offering material that is practical for you to perform. Nothing wrong with that.
I've never heard anyone talk about this set (maybe everybody hates it or maybe nobody bought it) but I think "The Essential Aldo" is my favorite. Tommy Wonder's DVD's are up there too. I think Tommy was pretty close to what real magic would probably look like. I've heard everyone talk about the Bill Malone DVD's but have yet to purchase them. I've seen two performances by Harry Allen (on the free DVD's L&L sends out with orders) and so far, neither has been my cup of tea.
I love all dvds where john is the spectator. its priceless!
A long time ago I said L&L should just use show girls in the audience. Well..it seems they are using a lot of very pretty girls lately and...the complaints about bad audiences in shoots has dried up.
[quote]
On 2007-03-05 12:32, MagicSanta wrote:
Ixnay, at one time you would be absolutely correct. I even recall on the Roth coin videos Roth would be talking to someone off set about the director wanting another version of the same coin move put in and Roth not liking the idea. You would get three tapes amd maybe...maybe... a quarter of the material was worth looking into. Now they are once again coming out with single dvds or two discs and some have excellent material across the board. Sure the bad still is out there but there are some great exceptions. Thank goodness the 'it has to be in three's' days seem over.
[/quote]

I remember the first VHS I bought was David Roth's Stars of Magic and it cost me $70. I was STOKED when I watched it. Every effect was amazing. But now...yeah. LOTS of filler.
[quote]
On 2007-03-06 17:26, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
A long time ago I said L&L should just use show girls in the audience. Well..it seems they are using a lot of very pretty girls lately and...the complts about bad audiences in shoots has dried up.

[/quote]

For Sure!
A lot of people are putting out DVDs with only one trick on them but if the trick is super strong I don't have a problem with that. Case in point is Prohibition and even Nate Kranzo's Box Monster. Those were money well spent for me.
[quote]
On 2007-03-06 17:58, ixnay66 wrote:
A lot of people are putting out DVDs with only one trick on them but if the trick is super strong I don't have a problem with that. Case in point is Prohibition and even Nate Kranzo's Box Monster. Those were money well spent for me.
[/quote]

Prohibition and Box Monster rocked the house!!
Too many good ones to mention but worst for me have been Harry Allen and Petrick and Mia´s series. I can get dealer demos otherwere as well. Also Flips serie sadly was ZZZZZZZzzzzz.....
[quote]
On 2007-03-06 12:42, Mark Ennis wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-03-05 11:06, Fraser Orr-Brown wrote:

Fraser
[/quote]

I probably won't perform any of Tommy Wonder's items, but these are by far my favorite of the DVD's from L&L and probably amongst my favorite DVDs in general. I absolutely love watching these DVDs.

I don't think you are judging too hard if you are basing the value of the DVDs on the material you can incorporate into your act. I think you like the DVDs but found them to be for entertainment puposes for you rather than offering material that is practical for you to perform. Nothing wrong with that.
[/quote]

Yeah. I'd say that's probably it. I loved his performance. I think Tommy Wonder is great... just the stuff you need in a fair few tricks. I definitely enjoy the entertainment value of the effect though!

Fraser
I often say that the Tommy Wonder videos are the best set of DVDs every produced. Not really for the tricks, but the psychology taught. His skills of misdirection are priceless. Not to mention his ability to win over the crowd.

My least favorite through L&L is something that's really hard to decide on. I'm not a big fan of Jeff Sheridan, but I know others are.
I've come to realize that they are Magicians and some may not come off well on camera. Since we want to be entertained, we also judge on that factor.
[quote]
On 2007-03-06 17:26, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
A long time ago I said L&L should just use show girls in the audience. Well..it seems they are using a lot of very pretty girls lately and...the complts about bad audiences in shoots has dried up.

[/quote]
True lol.

I fell in love with the girl in the Al Schneider DVDs (which I forgot to add as one of my all time favorite sets from LL). I'm sure those who own this set knows the girl I'm talking about ;) I wonder how Al kept so focused!
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 12:36, Jeff Corn wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Jeff Sheridan, but I know others are.
[/quote]
I only have Volume 2: Card Manipulation. From just viewing that volume, I wasn't a big fan either. Jeff fidgets and sniffled a lot. Hmmm
The World's Greatest Magic DVDs that L&L has been releasing lately are generally super...they feature the best (or what they consider the best) tricks within various topics. If you don't like one of the performers or the particular effect, there is certainly something that will float your boat! All of the performers listed above (and then some) are on these DVDs.

And they're priced at less than $20.00 each!
I really enjoyed Jay Sankey's L&L set, a lot of strong magic, actually performed for a (somewhat) real audience.

Joshua Jay's Close Up, Up Close set is also an incredible set and highly recommended.

And I like Jon Cooke (curly haired guy) although much more when he's on good behaviour. David (the "other" L&L guy) just seems irritating, almost fighting against the performer (Tommy Wonder especially)
Best - Bill Malone. Great magic from one of the best.

Worse - Harry Allen. Can't really imagine why L&L released these. Utter garbage.
Was Harry Allen's DVD's the ones that had "Magician's Poker" in them? Cause I saw that on the world's greatest magic performances #3 and I loved it!! Hardcore loved it! I havn't seen any other stuff by Harry Allen though.
Recent Favorites - "Miracles for Mortals" by Geoff Williams (Can't remember if its L&L but it is great) and John Mendoza's "My Best"

Recent Disappointments - The Magic of Steve Dacri - I know he's been more entertaining than he appeared here. This wasn't nearly what I expected.
I believe "Miracles for Mortals" by Geoff Williams was released by Koz.
To revive an old topic, I would love to whole-heartedly disagree with the topic poster.

Nothing by Max Maven was, by FAR, one of the best DVDs I have seen in a while. The teaching is as extensive as I've ever seen, and Max spends a good 5 minutes on each effect disussing history, credtis, etc with Eugene Burger among others. And the routines were, in my opinion, solid gold. I will surely be using this.
Its not my favorite, but you can't put down Nothing, because it wasnt useful to you (i.e. you wont learn any of the neat tricks) It is chock full of awesome information, and maven did exactly as he set out to do, above and beyond if you ask me.

My favorites are both david regal sets.

Least favorite is easily Harry Allen. It was like an example of how to be not funny and be rude to an audience, along with it being more like a dealer demo than an instructional video.
Favourite set - Mark Leveridge

Lease favourite set - Anything with Michael Ammar's laugh
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 13:31, in flames wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-03-08 12:36, Jeff Corn wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Jeff Sheridan, but I know others are.
[/quote]
I only have Volume 2: Card Manipulation. From just viewing that volume, I wasn't a big fan either. Jeff fidgets and sniffled a lot. Hmmm
[/quote]

I believe he had a cold during the filming of these DVDs, so the shoot must have been a struggle.

-AY
I know this is an older thread...but...

My favorites: Visions of Wonder and On The Loose.

My biggest problem is the audience. For me, they're a real turn off. I mean how many times can you see Three Card Monte and react like it's the first time you've ever seen it? I don't quite buy that these are genuine reactions.

I'd rather see an "uneducated" audience or the magicians performing for the camera. After all, most folks here are able to judge quality for ourselves.

Jeff
Jeff, I think sometimes they also take on the function of cheerleaders for the magicians!
I like that, evolve!!
Brainstorm - The Creative Card Magic of John Guastaferro

This is some rock solid stuff!
My most recent favorites are those by Bill Malone and Richard Osterlind. But I have to make an obsevation - my very first professional table-hopping gig was composed exclusively of material that can be found in Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles and Money Miracles sets. I didn't always use Ammar's specific routines, but the effects are all there; Ambitious Card, Coins Across, Card Warp, $5 and $1 Transposition, Triumph, Copper/Silver, MacDonald's Aces, on and on and on. To this day, they're some of the best investments I've ever made.
I enjoy the World's Greatest Magic series and David Ginn, Terry Herbert, Michael Close, and Osterlind. While "Educating Archer" is not L and L, it is another amazing DVD. I have not enjoyed a lot of the "teach in" series, and have been underwhelmed by the presence of some of the "classic" presenters, like McBride and Ammar.
And I also agree with the posters on Harry Allen, whose DVD did not impress (not funny in the least, and with uninspired props and patter).
Posting on my birthday
best l&l dvds... without a doubt all osterlind stuff, the man is just a genious!
My favorite L&L DVDs are Richard Osterlind's MIND MYSTERIES 1-4. This series is the one against which all mentalism instructional DVD series must be measured.

I was very disappointed by Max Maven's NOTHING. I loved his VIDEOMIND series and I was greatly looking forward to this one. I agree with an earlier poster that Mr. maven's explanations are thorough. He also displays a great respect and encyclopedic knowledge of mentalism/magic history. I just didn't think there was any one standout effect that justified the price of this DVD set.

I also love Janelle and I miss John.
It appears, for some reason, that Max Maven is beloved and touted by the inner circle of magic professionals -- which suggests that he's a very nice guy -- but I have to say I've always felt his presentations are slow and soporific. I think I only made it 20 minutes into his "Nothing" DVD before turning it off and putting it on the shelf. After dragging out and fumbling his first few couple of effects and the studio audience appeared to be forcing its enthusiasm, I realized I'd bought another snoozer DVD. Also, there's something about his fey and campy persona that grates on me.

Having said all that, however, anyone who has researched and written about magic history as much as Max has earns my professional respect.
The World's Greatest Magic Series is fantastic. You can watch and learn several different performers take on a single effect that you are trying to develop in your performances. You get to see how different pros approach the effect. I usually borrow/learn a little from this performer, that performer, etc.

As far as the audience goes, John is annoying as all get out. Im glad someone said he is gone. I agree with the other Café member that thought Al Schneider definitely has some strong misdirection going on with his selection of volunteers at the table.
I keep hearing bad things about the harry Allan set.

I would love to get them off anyone who is interested in selling/trade.

Let me know!
Ben
Banachek's PSI series is fantastic. great material, and great advice on how to get work, handle different performance situations, and gain publicity. as well as some cool old footage of banachek. Tommy wonder's DVD's are also extremely valuable as far has his tips on presentation and misdirection.

gotta love front row Frank...
My favourite set is Visions of Wonder. Haven't seen anything recent from L&L, but I'm glad to hear the audience has changed. Not that the old audience was terrible, but a few of them did get on my nerves after a while.
Favourite: Ammar's E2MCM. There are gems on every single one of the nine DVD's. Every one, even if you don't like MA much. And they're well-produced, well-thought-out, class productions. And Hannah Ammar, cor! (As we say in England).

Least favourite: the Ken Krenzel series. OMG how dull are these?! How dull is he? Admittedly, they look like they were filmed at least 15 years ago, and perhaps not even by L&L (L&L may have bought the rights from someone else) as they don't look like the L&L productions that we are used to now. I acquired one that I hadn't seen the other day and fell asleep watching it it was that tedious.
Well I have to toss in a comment is SUPPORT of Max Maven's Nothing. I agree that it may be over priced at $100 for 2 DVDs and s fairly small group of effects but for me it was much more about an overall approach to the field of mentalism than it was about learning any single effect.

Most of what he presents are pretty basic ideas though I did pick up some good stuff. However I love the idea of pulling off a show with no real props or specific magic or mentalism items. I found the commentary Max Gave (there is the standard performance as well as one with his commentary) to be great. His conversation with Michael Weber was even better, possibly worth the DVD just for that.

I tend to agree that his CHARACTER is a little over the top for me and that persona did not play well to the small L&L audience, but if you look beyond that the material is really strong. Most of the DVD is Max being himself, not his character and I enjoyed those parts quite a bit.

I actually ended up feeling that the DVD presented a good value because there was so much history and performance insight given. I do think having 4 people sit around and nod when he explained the routines was needless but overall Nothing is the best DVD I have seen in a while.
I've really enjoyed the world's greatest magic series. I really like the idea of seeing performances of the same types of effects done by different magicians. I know the reviews in magic magazines aren't always supportive but I find myself returning to them as I plan routines or try to figure out what might be missing in a routine I'm developing. And I do sometimes look up the original video they were taken from and purchase it (falling for their blatant marketing scheme :0))if I feel the performer can be a good video mentor for me! It also gave me a chance to see a lot of performers I had not seen before. I'm in Montana and we don't get a lot of magic shows here!! For my favorites at this point I would probably choose Mark Leveridge and Daryl.
Best for me....Daryl, followed by Malone....
Gone but not forgotten.... MUWHAHAHAHAHAHA
[quote]
On 2007-11-29 17:00, teevtee wrote:
overall NOTHING is the best DVD I have seen in a while.
[/quote]

You poor kid! :)
Ah if only I were really a kid again, sadly I am decades beyond that. In that time I have seen hundreds of magic DVDs and videos and many of them bring something new, many of them are garbage, but the majority of them are very subjective, what works for one guy may not for the next depending (obviously) on who they are and what they need.

While I agree that "Nothing" brings very little to the table in terms of the actual routines or methods I enjoyed it on a different level. I just found it entertaining, I enjoyed the bonus materials more than the actual performance and explanations and I appreciate the fact that Maven tried to bring something more to the table than your typical bare bones DVDs. With that said I also agree that it is very overpriced... even at HALF the money it would be over priced. But the question was not what is the best value. "Nothing" is a GREAT DVD if you are looking for something more than a list of 10 tricks and methods.
TAJ, your avatar is great! lol
TAJ, you look so, so...how do I say it? You look so....familiar!
Ross, I think the Krenzel taped were made in the same timeframe as the Professor's videos. Somewhere in the early 80's. They were put out by Videonics in Canada. He had a neat thing. Since they were all his tapes, he rented them or you could buy them. I think it was Hans Zann. He had a large catalog of names. Pavel, Bernard, Cyprian and many others.
So it's been over ten years since anyone commented on this topic. L&L has come out with a lot more stuff in that time. Anyone have any new bests or worsts to add? I got thinking about it again since I just got L&L's annual Holiday $10 sale email. I have a good amount of L&L stuff but I'm wondering if there is anything I should add or avoid. Although still prior to the last comment from 2007 in this thread, my favorites are Easy to Master Card Miracles (1-6), Art of Card Manipulation Jeff McBride, and Bill Malone's On the Loose and Here I Go Again. Not sure if I have a worst, as I usually do a lot of review reading and research before buying (thank you all who sacrificed so I could avoid the trash -- not all heroes wear capes!). Oh wait! I remember not being thrilled with Jeff McBride's Magic at the Edge. Yeah, I love Jeff and I think he's a fantastic teacher, but I found that series to be a bit of a snoozer.
There is tons of good stuff on there, but for DVD's my tops are all four John G videos (Brainstorm are two of my all time top favorites), and the David Regal Videos. Premise, Power, and participation are very well done, and I love the first three in particular. Ironically, I believe PP&P were filmed the same weekend as Brainstorm. There is TONS of great material on those sets.
Check out my "Best Ever" 4-volume DVD set at harryloraynemagic.com. You guys gotta' start watching (and reading) the good stuff!!!
I still watch Docc Hilford's Monster Mentalism set to this day. His presence is superb. A huge inspiration. Richard Osterlind's 13 Steps to Mentalism set is another essential mentalism purchase in my opinion. The quality of L&L Publishing production ranks up there with the best.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jun 10, 2019 12:36AM)
L&L Best: Loved the TA Waters set, Bill Malone On the Loose, Here We Go Again, Regal's Premise Power and Participation, any set by Richard Osterlind (too many to list)... Harry Lorayne mentioned his set...I freely admit it was very, very good.
Worst: The jury is still out.
My favorites are Richard Osterlind’s Mind Mysteries and Simon Aronson’s wonderfu 3 disc set. Simon’s was the first magic DVDs I ever bought. What a great introduction to learn quality and unique card magic.
Not sure if I have a least favorite set. I think I’ve picked something useful up in just about all of them.
Some of the most important / best L&L release:
Michael Ammar Easy to Master series - they definitely a must for modern magician stepping stone into magic. We have to understand that Ammar film these back to early 90's his look and wear cannot compare with era these days such as Shin Lim, the magic and fundamental taught inside were golden regardless what level of magic you were in.

Vision of Wonder by the late Tommy Wonder - It think this is the Peak of L&L DVD Publishing era and everyone should own this set.

Worst release - I hate to say that but Dacri 3 vol. set definitely among those. Classic effects while method is very similar to original yet not so attractive presentation. Maybe I was wrong ...
I have to agree (As a Card Magician mainly) that Ammar's "Easy to Master Card Series" (1-6 specifically) is what it took to take me from "A guy who knew some card ticks" to a Semi-pro and eventually full time pro Table Hopper, Bar and Comedy Club magician. I'm only talking about the "card part" of my arsenal as it pertains to L&L. A great Mentor also had a lot to do with it.

The ETM series really taught more than just the effect. Even today, the material and advice hold up. These tapes/dvds were broken down into small sets like you would do in a real performance instead of a bunch of tricks tossed together. They flowed into and out of each other. Michael was a fantastic teacher. Just enough, never too much babble. The Super Practice sessions were a great idea. If you needed more, it was close up at a slow and repeated pace, if you didn't need it, ship and move on to the next effect.
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jun 14, 2019 09:20AM)
I also have to chime in and say Banachek's 4 DVD set was nothing short of amazing. Also, John Gustaferro's Brainstorm (sorry John if I misspelled your last name) was excellent as well.

But I have to say, my wife of almost 20 years who patiently watched me through the years purchase books and videos to learn this art...she has only sat through one L&L performance. She walked in my office as I was laughing so hard. She thought I was losing my mind. She pulled up a chair and watched the performance of Bill Malone on his classic On the Loose. After watching it the performance segment on DVD 1, she asked for me to pop in the next DVD to watch the performance. After watching all 4 performances,she was chanting "Bill Ma-lone). She still does that from time to time and it has been YEARS since we watched it together.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Jun 14, 2019 04:29PM)
The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights was originally released as a video set in the 80s. L&L bought the rights and made a dvd set. It has stood the test of time, and has started many a coin magician on their journey.
I have to say, I have gotten SO MUCH value out of the Ammar ETM series. Still working on mastering a lot of those effects. And my Aldo DVD's I will NEVER part with for any price. Aldo was wonderful to watch and wonderful to learn from.
[quote]On Jun 14, 2019, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights was originally released as a video set in the 80s. L&L bought the rights and made a dvd set. It has stood the test of time, and has started many a coin magician on their journey. [/quote]
Me included. :)
[quote]On Dec 27, 2018, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Check out my "Best Ever" 4-volume DVD set at harryloraynemagic.com. You guys gotta' start watching (and reading) the good stuff!!! [/quote]
Your Memory Book changed my life back in the 70's. Thanks for all you've done. Attended one of your lectures in in Houston in the late 80's maybe early 90's? I always loved your card stuff, and used it a lot. Thanks!
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Jul 31, 2019 02:50PM)
I love Mr Lorayne's memory book. I have freaked people out using the technique of meeting a person ONCE and bumping into that person YEARS later still knowing his/her name. Thanks to Mr Lorayne's book, my memory (especially with names) has become a superpower. Great books from the real deal.
Mr Ponchatrane! Nice to meet you!
Message: Posted by: The Mysterious One (Aug 1, 2019 01:34AM)
[quote]On Jul 31, 2019, daffydoug wrote:
Mr Ponchatrane! Nice to meet you! [/quote]

LOL. I see I am not the only one to read that book!
Yeah! I “remember” it well!