(Close Window)
Topic: Greg Wilson: Which Card Effect DVD is Best???
I have both ON THE SPOT and OFF THE CUFF videos/DVDs. There is some killer impromptu stuff on there and great to perform or just as a reference. I like his casual/entertaining style... So Natural.

I am now wanting to take on some of his Card effects, as I have seen the demos/advertisements for them and his card handling seems equal, if not, more alluring to me.

I just am not too sure which DVD to get in which order. The ones I am concerned with are:

- CARD STUNTS
- DOUBLE TAKE
- IN ACTION (Vol.1)
- IN ACTION (Vol.2)
- IN ACTION (Vol.3)
- PYROTECHNIC PASTEBOARDS

What are thoughts for an Intermediate card handler, like myself??

One last thing.... Is there any relation with Greg and Mark Wilson?? This isn't Mark's son, Greg-- Is it????
Greg had a GREAT gag on his Double Take video ( now on DVD ) that he was Mark Wilson's son. I bought it and then a second later he laughed and told us he was kidding. He's a talented, funny fellow!!

Get DOUBLE TAKE, CARD STUNTS and PYROTEHNIC PASTEBOARDS and you have good dose of this talented Magi!!
As a huge Wilson fan I recommend all the above Salby.
I too recommend all the above, but if I had to pick an order to get them in:

CARD STUNTS
IN ACTION 1,2 & 3
PYROTECHNIC PASTEBOARDS
DOUBLE TAKE

Iain.
You can't go wrong with anything you buy from Greg.
ALL Greg's suff is great, but if you're after Cards then start with Pyrotechnic pasteboards. In time you WILL buy all his material.
I agree strongly that everything Greg puts out is fantastic, but if I were only to have one of his DVDs for a while, for cards, until I could get the other ones...

I'd DEFINITELY start with Card Stunts.
I agree, card stunts was my favorite of his dvds...
Card Stunts is one of my personal favorites because most of the effects on the DVD are not just " pick a card " presentations. There is a lot of animated and highly visual card presentations on this disc. My kind of stuff.
I too loved Card Stunts. The effect where the box keeps coming back is worth the price of the DVD. I also like his version of Phoenix Aces, his handling is flawless.
In action vol 1 is best, but they are full of top effects!
Funny should mention Mr. Wilson. Just saw Gregory Wilson perform at California Magic and Dinner Theater this last Friday night. He is a great performer but to be specific having this dvd for cards I would say PYROTECHNIC PASTEBOARDS.

However, if you need work on you dl then I would suggest Double Take. Heck, get them all, there one heck of an arsenal to have if you intend to do much work with cards.

Hamil
I have DOUBLE TAKE and PYROTEHNIC PASTEBOARDS and plan on getting the rest of his material. I think I will take the advice above and get Card Stunts next.

I was also at California Magic Friday night and had a great time. Gregory Wilson is a very funny and talented magician.

Dan
I'm going to put in a word for "Double Take." It's his first DVD, and his enthusiasm really shows through. And even if you think you don't need a DVD teaching the double lift, you'll get something from this disk. He teaches multiple versions of the double lift, replacement moves, various color changes, some flourishes, tabled doubles, a top pass like move, and then a number of routines using doubles including Daley's Last Trick (here in his version called "Weighted Aces," "Jumping Gemini" with a cards to pocket ending, and even Paul Harris's "Bizarre Twist."

There's just a lot on this disk. I keep finding myself coming back to it. Also, the teaching is a lot slower and more patient than in "Card Stunts." "Card Stunts" has some great material on it, but Wilson really does rush through the teaching and often there's only one straight-ahead camera angle.
Double take.
I love it theres so much information and good tricks on it.
If I had to recommend one of his card dvds with material that you'll actually use (more likely than not) it would be Pyrotechnic Pasteboards. These are routines that are within the grasp of most intermediate card magicians. Card Stunts is absolutely incredible, but it's less likely for most people to be performing these. Still if you can afford every one of his dvds, do it.
I would say get "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards". It contains his wonderful ACR with double blank cards. Excellent.

Carsten
I love Card Stunts. Unfortunately, Bugjack is absolutely right in saying that the teaching can be somewhat rushed. I had to refer to other sources or use the forums here to comprehend some of the things he taught in the dvd. But because it is (for me) very technically demanding, it helped to make me work and improve on my technique alot.
Double Take - a legendary first-video production for Greg! Very enthusiastic as always, and a wealth of well-thought-out and well-presented material on a lucrative move. Not just for beginners, by a long way.
Above I commented on the teaching in "Card Stunts." After spending some more time with the DVD the other night, I'll add that if you want a DVD that provides a lot of viewing time for the money, "Card Stunts" is the one -- I spent so, so much time rewinding, going slow-motion and mentally transposing his hands with mine just to figure out several of the moves in his "Revelation in Spades."

I like Wilson and the DVD in general, but I was surprised that after the slower teaching and use of multiple camera angles in "Double Take" that he moves so quickly and often just uses one straight-ahead angle in "Card Stunts." I still would like to pick up "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards," however, especially after reading here that the routines aren't as difficult as I had been lead to believe. (I had thought the word on "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards" was that it is a much more sleight-intensive and flashy handling disk.)

My question, though -- where on the quality-of-teaching scale is "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards"? Does it maintain the same fast pace as "Card Stunts"? More importantly, is there greater use of a performer-view camera?
Card Stunts is great. I came to it with a fairly good knowledge of card technique and effects, and still founds the effects highly rewarding. the comments above re: the explanations are correct. Excellent bang for buck.
[quote]
On 2007-06-04 20:04, ragingcalm wrote:
Card Stunts is great. I came to it with a fairly good knowledge of card technique and effects, and still founds the effects highly rewarding. the comments above re: the explanations are correct. Excellent bang for buck.
[/quote]

Its also Gregs favorite too.
I got more useable material from PP than Cardstunts.
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jun 5, 2007 12:20PM)
Card Stunts is hard, but my favorite one. I am probably only saying that, because that is the only card video of his that I own.
Though all of them are good. Without a doubt CARD STUNTS and PYROTECHNIC PASTEBOARDS are definitely the best and have the best routines, effects, and moves on them.

I highly recommend them both.
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jun 5, 2007 02:56PM)
I think Pyrotechnic Pasteboards would be the best. I'll have to check it out sometime.
I'd start with Pyrotechnic Pasteboards. All of the effects on their I have used (accept for one, because I simply can't bare to perform the killer back in time routine until I can get my hands on the gimmick that makes the amazing ending possible). All of the other card tricks require none, or little (finding four cards) preparation.
And after this I would get Card Stunts, because the guy above was right, you will end up owning much of what Greg has to offer, it's all just so good! Though most of the card stuff in his In Action series is located on the other three card DVDs.
For cards, you can't go wrong with Pyrotechnic Pasteboards. And Card Stunts is also really sick. But get it after you get PP.

The In Action series is great. Although a lot of the card effects can be learned from other DVDs by Greg, you get to see Greg perform these tricks in a street setting. Definitely recommended!!
You won't get the best variety of material from Double Take, but I got more out of it than the others.