(Close Window)
Topic: Odd Balls
I've seen lots of talk on Marc's named card in wallet but haven't seen mention of this trick. Anyone seen it? How does it differ from other similar sounding routines on the market? I've seen other versions where there is a climax (ie at the end there are two black balls and only one white ball). Is there any sort of climax to this routine?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 12, 2007 12:52PM)
There is no climax. However, it is one of the most clever versions devised. You get all necessary to perform the effect with. Marc supplies you with the instructions, and two white balls and a black ball, plus a bag.
When I last met Marc, I paid him extra to get some more white balls, as I feel using 5 balls in total is better than 3. But that is my opinion. So now I have 4 white balls and 1 black. The effect still works the same.
The clever part of this routine that puts it above most, is the balls are ungimmicked, the bag is ungimmicked, there are no electronics, there are no magnets, wires, peeks, mirrors etc used. It really is just the bag and the balls, which are honestly and genuinely 100% un-gimmicked and normal. Not only that, but the balls are all placed into the bag at the start, the spectator can see all 5 in the bag. You don't hold any out at any point. And the nice thing is, you know exactly when it has been taken. It will get taken out at a different point everytime you perform.
Max Mavens 'Kurtosoke' effect is killer, but I don't like the fact that right at the start you could get the ball. I like the fact you eliminate who doesn't have it, and in this routine, this is exactly what you do. Meaning you can entirely play on presentation. Picking up on signals, body language etc the spectator is supposedly giving out. Also, this is good for walkaround, stage, close up etc. All situations this effect works for and the method is fool proof, you can't mess it up.
This is another release from World Magic Shop and you are supplid with 5 balls not 3.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 12, 2007 03:55PM)
Well, there you have it! No need to ask Marc for extra balls. If you want to do this effect, there isn't a more better or affordable version!
So is it safe to assume that the ones that Hocus Pocus are getting will have 5 balls and not the three that are advertised?

Thanks,

Robert Sixx
Robert Sixx tahts correct. That description shoudnt be their, ill contact them to correct it.
This is being a very clever methods that uses no magnets, no electrics, no threads or strings, no sounds, no sleights of hands, no dropping a extra ball halfway through and no colours of glowing balls or anything like that.

The spectators doing the routine with you will never be finding out the secret even if they are talking to each other afterwards.

Marc is performing the routine with two other tirkcs. One is on his lecture notes about three people on chairs. The other is being a prediciton about predicting who is choosing a ball in advance of the trick. Unfortunately you cannot buy this one at the moment but anyone who was being in Blackpool would have been seeing his routine with the balls and the other two tricks. It is easy but is being brilliant magics.

My set came with 5 balls, one blacks and fours white. The sack is very silky with a draw string. I like to jiggle my sack before the spectator is grabbing a ball.

I think Marc is being one hell of an idea factory and is being more creative with ideas than Jay Sankey is. My favourite Marc trick for magicians is '37'. My least favourite is one with a little sword which is spinning about to be finding a card. I hope Marc is sharing soon the appearing keys routine. It is making a spectators breath go away.
[quote]
On 2007-03-12 17:15, juan king wrote:

I like to jiggle my sack before the spectator is grabbing a ball.

[/quote]

Wow, this line, out of context, makes me wonder what kind of show are you doing.... :wow:

Ken
I ams doing this so the spectators are thinking it is a free choice of any of the balls. It doesn't say to do this in the instructions but I am doing it to make the trick look fairer. If anyone is buying the trick I am giving my permission to be using my idea here because the Magic Café is being about helping magicians. If anyone is writing about it in a book please let me be having some credit for my idea.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 12, 2007 04:35PM)
[quote]
On 2007-03-12 17:29, Ken Dumm wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
Wow, this line, out of context, makes me wonder what kind of show are you doing.... :wow:

Ken
[/quote]
[b]Funniest post of 2007!!![/b]
Yeah, it's gonna be hard to beat that line. Thank God I'm not drinking anything right now because my computer screen would be covered.

Not trying to be rude, but jiggling a "sack" isn't really an original idea...I remember doing this in kindergarten raffles for a "fairer choice".

BTW, does anyone have his stretching spoon effect?
Ok I need to point something out here whilst talking about odd ball. Im not sure if Marc is taking credit for his thinking and method behind odd ball. For those who know the secret behind odd ball - this is not a new method. Please don't anyone shoot me YET, but as I do not have odd ball I cannot see in the instructions if mark has given credit to the the originator of the odd ball method/secret.

I saw Marc do his lecture about 3 months ago and whilst performing this he didn't give credit by saying this was not his method/idea of how this works, nor did he say he was the inventor of this. For those who have the instructions to odd ball if it says in there that this is Marc's own creation or words to that effect then this is not true!

About 5 years ago I attended one of the amazing ' Mind Magic ' days held in London every November. They always used to be arranged by Duncun Trillo and were held in a hotel in London. The day consisted on a pure day of Mind Magic and Mentalism. I feel v lucky to have attended 2 of them in the past and wish they were still running :( nevermind. Anyway, one of the fabulous lectures one year was Ali Bongo. He did a brilliant lecture on Mind magic and mentalism and performed ' Odd Ball ' in front of 100 Mentalists. Everyone was fooled, he asked if anyone knew the method - we all said no. He then explained the method and we couldn't believe how clever this was!

Five years later I see this exact effect and method being sold and marketed. I wish this kept underground as it is to good. My main point out of all this is I am hearing people saying what a great effect Marc has come up with ( not really on the Café but all around the Blackpool Convention ) its just it came over in Marcs lecture that he was the creator of this method and thought of this himself. I don't know who the exact creator was of this method ( could be Ali Bongo ) but just wanted people to know this is not a new method that Marc has come up with as it has certainly been around for at least 5 yrs.

Please don't think I have anything against Marc because I don't, he is a really nice guy who is v friendly and has all the time in the world for you. His lecture was v good and professional & If you get a chance to see him lecture - go and see him you will be sorry if you miss it!!!

I just felt I had to post this, and once again please knowone think this is aimed at a negative post :)
I'm not very familiar with either of the two effects mentioned, but you do realize that two people can think of the same effect right? Since you said you do not own Odd Ball then I don't understand why you would make the assumption that the methods are the same.

I'm just trying to be optimistic, that's all :)
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 13, 2007 04:46AM)
Yes, lets try stay on the positive. I don't remember credits in the instructions, I would have to dig them out again. But I have said it once, and I will say it again, credits are THE hardest thing in Magic. Forget Raise Rise, the Pass etc, CREDITS are the hardest thing. You never EVER quite know who came up with what, or what the idea stemmed from etc. Over the years I have learned many effects which are rip offs, and that the people who put out the rip off either paid the original creator off to keep their mouth closed, or gave them a load of free stock in exchange. One of the worlds most prolific creators was Dai Vernon. I would love to know his credits, inspirations, idea stems etc. But, I am side tracking here.
Marc has been doing this routine now for several years, I don't know the exact amount, but it isn't one of those effects that are released just to make money, it is straight from his act which those who know Marc know he has been doing a long time now.
PM me what you think the method is PRINCE and I will tell you whether you are right or wrong. I won't tip the method if you are wrong etc, just let me know what you think it is so I can either correct the thread or not. You never know, Ali Bongo might have got it off Marc!!! :) , just keeping all options open :)
If you ever see Marc lecture you will know that he reveals all the workings of his marketed effects except for his new bang on wallet. The lecture I saw had all his latest effects on the market demonstrated and explained and also his other material that he uses for the lecture. So yes I know how odd ball is done, the reason I havnt bought odd ball is because once I had seen Ali Bongo lecture this, I found a way of making my own set of balls. But, it is made very well made the balls are nice as to with the bag you get - perfect for your pocket esp if you are doing strolling etc. Chris your right it is so difficult trying to relate to who the inventor might be especially if you are marketing a trick and want to know if it is already out there, credits etc, it is a lot of effort and can be difficult. Like is said above, please don't think I was aiming at a negative post. Also Chris you could be right Ali might have got it off Marc - if so hat off to Marc for a brilliant and deceptive concept :thumbsup:
How large are the balls? (Are they large enough to be seen easily in a small theater?) Thank you for your help!

Tom
[quote]
On 2007-03-12 17:29, Ken Dumm wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Ken
[/quote]

Methinks Juan's English is better than he pretends. Too many of these double entendre.
Ha v funny :lol:

zgecko to give you an idea the balls are prob the size of a malteaser ( chocolate here in the U.K - don't know if you guys in the U.S have them ) they are about that size. Yeah I think it would be okish for a small theatre but personally I feel this is for close up or strolling. I say this due to the size of the balls and the bag you are supplied with when you buy odd ball. But when you know the secret you could make this yourself for a stage version.

hope that helps :)
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 13, 2007 12:31PM)
I would say they are a little bigger than malteasers, I don't see why it can't be done in a big theatre. Perhaps not good to 3,000 people, but a theatre of cabaret show of about 500 would see them. I've performed this already twice in my cabaret act for audiences up to 150 people
Curiousity got the better of me and I ordered it. I have been doing Max Mavens Kurotsuke and occasionally do Charles Gauci's version Body Language. I like them both, and really cant think of another way to do this effect. So, I am anxious to see if there is any "improvement" in Marc's Oddball.
You will find an improvement I think - you will find this a lot cleaner in fact you cannot get much cleaner! You will prefere this over the other 2 I betch :)
I'm still trying to visualize a "malteaser!"
[quote]
On 2007-03-13 19:26, RooMan wrote:
I'm still trying to visualize a "malteaser!"
[/quote]

I'm going to bet that this is what we call malted milk balls: chocolate covered malted milk candy balls.

Gianni
Quote:

You are correct Gianni. The balls are larger than a standard marbel. The whole effect easily fits in your pocket and would be suitable for closeup, parlor or stage. I've been driving everyone crazy today with this.

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Prince, Chris, Mystification, and Paul:

Thank you for your responses to my query regarding size!

I get the idea. I grew up on "Malted Milk Balls"--but those were the days when I could go to the movies and see a double-feature for 14 cents, buy the candy for a dime, and still have a penny left over from my 25 cent allowance!!

Tom
[quote]
This is being a very clever methods that uses no magnets, no electrics, no threads or strings, no sounds, no sleights of hands, no dropping a extra ball halfway through and no colours of glowing balls or anything like that.

The spectators doing the routine with you will never be finding out the secret even if they are talking to each other afterwards.
[/quote]

Even with the "sack jiggling" (LOL), there are at least two other methods I have thought of that will work without the use of magnets or the other methods Juan mentioned.

My question, for those who know the method for Oddball, is:
Do you need to hold onto the bag at any time during the selection process?
For me, that is the litmus test.
Arnon,

that's a good question! If you can do this without holding the bag, it is a miracle! I for one would be interested in this if that is possible!
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 14, 2007 03:13AM)
No, you do not need to hold the bag. If you wanted, you can pull the draw string bag closed and toss it out into the audince, which is in fact what I did the last time I performed. If anyone who has this doesn't know how they can do this, PM me
You sold me on this one, I will have to get it now!
Yup..me too..gotta buy it.
NOW, I'm interested! I have a presentation for kurotsuke (different method, as I also don't like having to take a chance that the first spectator chosen will actually have the black ball) that involves performing it one time right after another, the first time a sucker presentation where you expose the method (no magical secrets really exposed, so no flaming, please) - can this be repeated immediately? Thanks -

Bill
So we are saying yes on Odd Balls?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 15, 2007 04:38AM)
Yes it can be repeated immediately
Chris, I know what you meant but what I was talking about was over all, is this a great effect that every performer should own?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 15, 2007 05:06AM)
Sorry Paisa, I was replying to Bill's post. No, not every performer should own this, as not every owner will like it, use it, present it right etc. Some people will buy it and not like it. Others will buy it and love it and use it. Again, its a marmite effect. Love it or hate it. It works for me, I might not work for anyone else
Thanks Chris.
I have a question about Oddball. I have just purchesed it and think it's a great effect, however, I have a question about the workings of it. Obviously, I can't go into the workings on here so......is there anyone on here that uses Oddball that can PM me please.

Much appreciated.
Ade
Mmmm. I really don't like giving reveiws, one mans poison etc. I have this and I have to say that the subtlety is just a little too subtle for me. I just can't get the 'difference' (those who own it will know what I mean). Will I use it? Absolutley. The principle involved is IMO brilliant and well worth the money. This could have been dressed up with a lengthy presentation and sold as a PDF for more than the current asking price and I would still be extreamly happy with my purchase. Hats off to Marc, I would have kept it to myself. Christopher I have pm'd you, sound interesting.
A bit too subtle, huh? Hmmmmm...would you say it's too subtle in a way that could cause the performer to blow the effect? One poster on here indicated they felt it was impossible to mess up. What's your take?
Does the bag need to be handled by the performer? and can everything be examined, as when I've performed Max's version people have made assumptions, right or wrong, so this does sound like an excellent improvment!

Best wishes,
Col
Re the one I have, are your white balls actually white, dull plastic colour
Rooman, no you shouldn't mess this up. My certain lack of sensitivity is simply a personal thing and takes nothing away from the effect. I just need to make a small change but I WILL be using this. My advice, buy it, try it and use it. If you have a similar problem to me, and it seems that knowbody else does, it will cost about a quid to change.
Thanks for the advice Christopher, I will try your approach its a goody.
Colin - yes, to some extent, the bag needs to be handled (I've pm'd you).

Daren - yes, the white balls I received were off-white, semi-transparent plastic balls. Since this effect is designed with multiple spectators in mind, this shouldn't be a problem.
Ah, thanks guys for clearing all that up. I've actually already ordered this a few days ago. One minor issue, tho..if I have the same "sensitivity issue" as magicnutuk and it takes about a "quid" to fix...what exactly would that be?

The closest thing to a "quid" in the States would be found in a sushi bar.
LOL that knock me for six. I'ts about a dollar 96 RooMan.
I just recieved it. Yes, the performer must handle the bag.
I, too, just received this.

As to whether the effect can be blown, I say clearly, yes. I take issue with those who suggest in some way that this is somewhat foolproof.

And as to the question of examinability, my answer is no. Oddly enough, however, I think it is definite that the effect as a whole can be handled rather freely.

Gianni
I would like to know what paint would be best to use to make the transparent balls white, I am not happy that the white balls are actually semi transparent plastic
I just got this, and I do like it, however it was an impulse buy, and after much thought, I just don't think I would ever use it. I have it for sale in the "tricks for sale" forum.
Darren, I have used a product called PLASTICOTE. It is a spray that gives the white balls a pearlesent finish similar to the black ball, although having said that I am going to trash mine and make my own, slightly larger version. I have found that a bigger bag increases the sensitivity almost the way a fulcrum works if you like. Just an idea.
I really this trick, too. Low tech, but brilliant method. However, the major drawback is the fact that the white balls look semi-transparent. They should be opaque and glossy like the black ball. This almost tips the method, IMO.

Anyone have any luck with the Plasticote paint or finding different white balls?

Robert
Yeah me too, this is the reason why I am selling, I showed this to my mate and he said the plastic white balls are a dead giveaway, that aren't even white!
Yeah I agree, the props that come with oddball just don't work. The bag is to small to put an average size in and the white balls are translucent. They have no illusion of weight. I repainted the 4 "white balls" with Rust=o=leum gloss white
and they look great,. I used large tee pins and carefully pierced each ball with one and sprayed them lightly until they were evenly covered. Then pushed the tee end of the pin in to a block of foam to hold it upright to dry. The results are really good the balls now look identical in style to the black ball.
Now I just need to find a different bag.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 18, 2007 03:57PM)
Sounds different balls to the balls I got...though I got mine some time ago, before it was released on Marc's site. Perhaps the balls I have are no longer available, or not in large enough quantities
My thoughts:

1) bag is too small
2) bag is made of cheap felt-like substance that is too firm and I think actually hinders the method
3) white balls are translucent
4) except for the cheap materials, method is clever and workable.

for me, quality control is a critical issue regardless of the price of the product. This has that "rushed to market" feel.

eric
Ali Bongo's method used the plastic practice golf balls you can buy, one of which was painted black and adapted accordingly.

I was at Duncan Trillo's Mind vention when Ali lectured it too and a great little effect it is.

John
Can I say in conclusion:

Great effect poor items…

--------------------------------------

Or was this problem with the quality of the balls and bags just temporary?

Best Wishes,
John
Yes the above is correct, this is not something I would perform as received. A trip to the local hardware store and a dfferent bag will fix the issue. If I was going to pursue this version, I would personally try to use a simple paper bag or something common place. I'm also not convinced that the method is not a step backwards from what is already available. Unfortunately I think it's probably the method laymen may immediately think of and you can't 'disprove' or 'logically disconnect' it during the routine. I'm sticking with Gaucci at this stage.

Cheers,
Al
Thanks Al, I have been a fan of Chaucci's balls for many years too...
I agree with Al. Sure a trip to the hardware store will make the materials more convincing but why should we have to bother. A product should come ready to go as is...or, this should have sold as a $5 manuscript.
I have a question about oddball marc oberon.
The white balls that come with this don't look too great imho
[quote]

Methinks Juan's English is better than he pretends. Too many of these double entendre.
[/quote]

...And you'd be spot on, Xiqual. I know for a fact that 'Juan' has a UK ISP - it's all wearing a bit thin now, how long can he keep this nonsense up?

Please 'Juan', leave the faux-Spanish to the real pro's like Mr. Durham... there’s a good chap.

[b]GS[/b]
[quote]
On 2007-03-20 15:57, GhostSurfer wrote:
[quote]

I know for a fact that 'Juan' has a UK ISP

[/quote]
You are stalking me. I am going back to Spain. I will be in hiding from now on. You have scared me off.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Mar 20, 2007 04:51PM)
[quote]
On 2007-03-20 16:58, juan king wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-03-20 15:57, GhostSurfer wrote:
[quote]

I know for a fact that 'Juan' has a UK ISP

[/quote]
You are stalking me. I am going back to Spain. I will be in hiding from now on. You have scared me off.
[/quote]

Perfect English!!!
Daren

Please stop commenting on the balls, the emails you have sent me show that you havent thought about this and are adament you whant balls from when Mark Oberon first starting selling Odd Balls only becouse you heard they look different.

No spectator holds more than one ball so no spectator will know the balls are different in the making or coating.

So far the past three weeks I have performed oddballs at least 5 times a day, so that's about 105 performaces minimum. Not even one spectator has commented on the balls. Take into consideration also that many pf these spectators are magicians as well.

We need to get out of the box and think from the spectators vision understanding and not from the performers Magical Knowledge and beliefs.
I think the bag is actually more of a problem than the balls.
I painted my balls with white gloss paint.

Did I just say that!!!
Just got this...my first thought is "put it up for sale". Perhaps it is the bag that's the issue, I dunno. Personally, I have a hard time being able to "sense" the method used if ya know what I mean (wink wink to those in the know). Whoever said you couldn't possibly make a mistake with this one must have real psychic abilities.

Anybody want to buy mine? Cheap?
Another version of (Odd Balls)is in Wayne Dobson"s book (WD40).
Wayne's method is quite different from Marc, and the routine has a different ending.
Marc set up can be converted to Wayne's routine.
Richard.
[quote]
On 2007-03-21 19:20, Best of British wrote:
I painted my balls with white gloss paint.

Did I just say that!!!
[/quote]

Ok, now that was good.
James
Hmmm

Saw this demoed by Marc and wasn't very impressed Even after the explanation. I personally much prefer Chaules Gauci bodylanguage. With bobylanguage, the balls can be examined by the spectators without arousing suspicioun. To be honest this is just another version on this effect and not particularly good one. I also have 'equinox' and although clever has failed on me in performance so I now use
only body language and using a G2 Ring I never fail with it.
I got this today and was not impressed. The props look cheap and tacky, the bag is way to small to put an average size mans hand in, the material hinders the method, its not foolproof, you could mess up. The balls to me give away the method, the "sensing" for me was difficult as I could not get it every time. Its going £10!
I wish they can make the balls more better quality .
I have just purchased oddballs and will try it out on family first, then others. I am currently in the 'each spec only has one ball so they can't join it all together' camp. Surely this is all about presentation as you take the heat off the balls by hamming up the 'I can see when your lying' routine. Also keeping the black ball person till last by mixing up the order of spectator selection will be my approach. I saw Derren Brown do this in his 'something wicked' show last year and I certainly did not twig that it was the secret is in the balls. I am sure going on about eyes blinking, etc, is the way to go with this one.

TrevK
I find Odd Ball to be a very clever and practical method of performing the KUROTSUKE effect (of which I have five different methods, each with its advantages and disadvantages). For those who find it difficult to discern when the "odd" ball has been removed, I have found that by not losing my concentration on what I/we know to be the method, that it works every time. If I allowed myself to be distracted during removal of the balls, I quite possibly would not succeed.
I, too, have "painted my balls", which, IMHO, greatly enhances the appearance and does not affect the working. An easy way to paint the "white" balls is to spray- paint them with white enamel. You can purchase cans of spray paint in any auto supply or hardware store. Use four pins or needles and insert them about 1/16" to 1/8" (1 to 2 mm), into each of the "white" balls. It is a good idea to wear a rubber glove, or any old glove, on hand holding the end of the pin in order to avoid painting your magical hand). I sprayed them one after the other and immediately pinched the exposed end of the pin in four separate clamps (or vices - I used two of each) which I had on my workbench, until they dried. If you do not have clamps or vices, you could extend the balls out over the edge of a table, placing a heavy book along the edge of the table to hold the ends from falling off the table. Or, you could hang each pin from a piece of string until it dried.
Odd Ball is good; enjoy.
[quote]
On 2007-03-12 13:52, Christopher Williams wrote:
There is no climax. p.
[/quote]
Check out Wayne Dobson's (Detecta Balls)it the same effect.Different method with a climax.
TrickyRicky
Is this something that could be performed at family gathering or bbq or the like,i.e.where the specs all know each other? or would that lead to them discussing and giving it away? thanks--sounds like a good effect for the hobbyist/family magi but not if specs need to be strangers
I love KUROTSUKE by Max Maven , but I din 't like the idea of having a variable climax where the efect can END , just by locating the black ball ( only) . Those who know the method know what I mean .

How does odd ball differ?KuROTSUKE in my opinion will work everytime ( allthough it will have a different ending sometimes) and I really like the method to it as it can be adapted to any small objects lying around.

-David
Thanks--where does one find Kurotsuke?
Max Maven's videomind vol. 1

Richard
Do anyone have a source for some other balls similiar to the Hollow balls, but in a shiny white color ?
Think texture and you have another method of knowing what ball was taken or looked at. Different balls, which no one other than magicians care about, will take that aspect away.
HI There

All of these effects sound very good indeed, but to be honest I am a bit confused as to which effect I should go for. Body Language seems the most expensive while Oddball and Detectable seem about the same price and Kurotsuke by Max Maven as well. I know nothing of the workings of these effects and obviously don't expect anyone to give away the methods, but I would be grateful for any advice especially via a Private Message from anyone who knows about all of these effects.

Thanks

Darrell