(Close Window)
Topic: Nickels To Dimes: Trouble Shooting
I just purchased Nickels To Dimes. The Problem is that the nickel shell is stuck in the cap. I tried tapping it but it still won't come off. any ways of fixing this problem?
Try putting everything in a hard plastic drinking glass, cover the opening of the drinking glass with your hand and shaking the glass. Start shaking gently and slowy increase the tempo until it pops out.
Thought I'd add something: For a short time I was doing some days at Hollywood Magic and I came up with an addition to Nickels to Dimes... who would have thought it!? Basically, you keep announcing, "The famous 4 nickels to 4 dimes!!!" You keep saying that and make a big deal about it and you keep pointing at the stack with a pen. You finally cover the stack and lift it up... I have a tendency of kicking the stack with the cap so the dimes spread out in a line... when I do it in this case the last coin is not a dime, but a penny... I look at it and say, "How did that get there? Oh, well." and I tap it with the pen and it becomes a dime.
So you get a two for one trick... and that's nice in a shop because now I can sell two items. For those that don't know: you can fit a penny to dime gimmick in the cap so that the shell covers the last dime and the pen is the magnetic one.

Greg
[quote]
On 2007-03-23 18:03, Rocinante wrote:
Try putting everything in a hard plastic drinking glass, cover the opening of the drinking glass with your hand and shaking the glass. Start shaking gently and slowy increase the tempo until it pops out.
[/quote]
Thanks, It worked.
[quote]
On 2007-03-23 18:40, Greg Arce wrote:
Thought I'd add something: For a short time I was doing some days at Hollywood Magic and I came up with an addition to Nickels to Dimes... who would have thought it!? Basically, you keep announcing, "The famous 4 nickels to 4 dimes!!!" You keep saying that and make a big deal about it and you keep pointing at the stack with a pen. You finally cover the stack and lift it up... I have a tendency of kicking the stack with the cap so the dimes spread out in a line... when I do it in this case the last coin is not a dime, but a penny... I look at it and say, "How did that get there? Oh, well." and I tap it with the pen and it becomes a dime.
So you get a two for one trick... and that's nice in a shop because now I can sell two items. For those that don't know: you can fit a penny to dime gimmick in the cap so that the shell covers the last dime and the pen is the magnetic one.

Greg
[/quote]

Excellent routining Greg I absolutly love it!!!
Nice routine Greg!
I'm a little bit lost on one part. Here is where, it's when you said: "you can fit a dime to penny gimmick into the cap so that the shell covers the last dime", -What?
Are you saying that a dime/penny gimmick fits into the Nickel shell? Or the brass cover?
Thanks!

P.S.-Also, here's something funny about Nickels to Dimes. When I was about 9 or 10 yrs old. I ordered the Nickels to Dimes trick from a mail order catalog (Johnson Smith). My plan was to get rich changing nickels into dimes all day, everyday. I thought I would spend allot of time walking back & forth between home & the nearby convenience store exchanging my new Dimes for more Nickels. Boy was I dissapointed when that package arrived!!! Oh well, I still like the trick, maybe now because it makes me laugh when I think back. =)
Ibm_usa,
When your tapping it, are you using the bang ring? You need to be tapping it, while the bang ring is around the bottom of the Brass Lid/top. Hope this helps.
[quote]
On 2007-03-25 05:20, JTSmagic wrote:
Nice routine Greg!
I'm a little bit lost on one part. Here is where, it's when you said: "you can fit a dime to penny gimmick into the cap so that the shell covers the last dime", -What?
Are you saying that a dime/penny gimmick fits into the Nickel shell? Or the brass cover?
Thanks!

P.S.-Also, here's something funny about Nickels to Dimes. When I was about 9 or 10 yrs old. I ordered the Nickels to Dimes trick from a mail order catalog (Johnson Smith). My plan was to get rich changing nickels into dimes all day, everyday. I thought I would spend allot of time walking back & forth between home & the nearby convenience store exchanging my new Dimes for more Nickels. Boy was I dissapointed when that package arrived!!! Oh well, I still like the trick, maybe now because it makes me laugh when I think back. =)
[/quote]

What I meant is that in the stack of dimes you can put the dime & penny set as the bottom-most coin. So when you pick up the brass cap, after the nickels have changed, you can them mover over or kick the stack to display the dimes, but the last coin will be seen as a penny... actually, a penny shell over one dime.

What I do is as I lift the brass cap to display the change I kick over the stack of dimes with the inside edge of the cap.. this pushes the three top dimes over in a line and leaves the last one there.

greg
Hahaha... I forgot I had this trick! So quick and fun!
Oh, by the way, that is a clever routine, Greg. Thanks for sharing!
Greg,
That's what I thought you meant. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something there. Thanks for clearing that up. Again, Nice routine!
Try Googleing "The Perfect pocket trick" Really great version of this effect!
Hey Daffydoug,
I tried to Google. I didn't seem to find what you were talking about. Would you possibly have a link? Thanks!
Ive always loved this effect, I would have four nickels examined then as the cap was being examined, would switch them for the gimmick. from then on the spectator would cover the nickels, w/ just a little guidance and then they lifted the cap.
I just had a thought. What if, just for a kicker, you switched the brass cover for a solid one!? Cool? yes-no?
That would be cool!! Jeff
Great handling Greg!!! Now...where did I put that pen?

Mark. :)
Message: Posted by: TheAmazingChristopher (Aug 17, 2016 03:01AM)
[quote]On Mar 25, 2007, John T. Sheets wrote:
Ibm_usa,
When your tapping it, are you using the bang ring? You need to be tapping it, while the bang ring is around the bottom of the Brass Lid/top. Hope this helps. [/quote]

I know this is an old thread, but thanks, I am a newbie and I was stuck until a Google search brought me here (had the same problem as the OP) Bang ring fixed it, and I didn't even know what that part was for until this.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Aug 18, 2016 01:58AM)
Lol great idea Greg
Hmmm...I don't think I ever bought a "nickels to dimes" that didn't already come with a bang ring...it's sort of an essential part....
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Aug 27, 2016 12:41PM)
I was under the opion that they all did
Who makes a quality nickels to dimes.
[quote]On Mar 23, 2007, ibm_usa wrote:
I just purchased Nickels To Dimes. The Problem is that the nickel shell is stuck in the cap. I tried tapping it but it still won't come off. any ways of fixing this problem? [/quote]

I know you already solved your problem, but wanted to reveal why this can happen:

If you insert the shell without a nickle on top, there is no "weight" to it and it becomes difficult to bang out, although you can do so with just the bang ring by using extra force and a very hard surface.

Otherwise, the shell is inserted upside down and you can see shiny side facing out (instead of the brass inside). The cup method mentioned before works, but I find an easier method is to stack two bang rings on top of each other - then you can bang it out with a little extra force as above.

-JoeJoe
It is a nice trick and I am told it was developed by Walter Gibson, who is one of my favorite magic writers.
Wife and I have been together 8+ years and the first trick I showed her was nickels to dimes. I used a TT(loaded with my nickels) and borrowed her nickels placing them inside a small cloth bag. Pretending to forget to have her write down the dates of each nickel, I poured the nickels from the bag (TT) and she wrote down the dates of each nickel. When I turned the nickels into dimes, of course each dime carried the same date as her nickels. To this day she BEGS for me to tell her how I did it and I love hearing her tell the story to her friends!