Topic: Best ESP effect
I know that BEST is relative
I have started looking at ESP cards and I am looking for a GOOD mentalist
effect If you could say what you think is a good one, it will give me an
idea where to start
Please say if the effect is mind reading, prediction or other
Cheers
TJ
Here are some sources for mental effects with ESP cards.

Try Maven's Videomind series for 2 excellent effects with ESP cards.

Also see Sean Taylor's Symbology Deck instruction booklet (which is more like a book of effects) for an array of ESP card effects. Lastly the booklet that comes with Michael Murray's Beyond ESP is another good resource. Some of Taylor's and Murray's ones require a marked ESP deck.

Better than all of these would be to come up with something original that has a plot you can sell with your personality. My favourite ESP symbol effect is a very simple one I came up with (adapted from known efefcts and principles). It is so simple that magicians would probably turn their nose up at it. It uses the ESP poker chips (recently released) combined with the Gilbreath principle as normally applied to an effect where you tear 5 business cards in half. This effect is often known as "Last two cards match" or "Will the cards match". I introduce it by saying "We are going to make a statement to the universe and see if it is listening...". I then go into an intention creates reality type premise for the effect. It appears very clean in that the spectators handle everything and make all decisions through the effect.

Hope these references help.

Cheers,
Al
Look here :)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=182876&forum=15
It really got ME thinking.
:cheers:
Reading minds is where it starts with me. I like how Richard Osterlind call cards on his volume 2 of Mind Mysteries. But he uses playing cards. He does show a good rountine using ESP cards on volume 3 of Easy to Mater Mental Miracles.
Personally, I don't think this can be beaten:

http://www.astormagic.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=982b8eeffe66ef704ea90afcaba3c0e4

It's not cheap, but the workings are truly amazing and you can repeat (once) it with a different result.
As you alluded, the "best" effect with ESP cards is the one that works best for you... My favorites are Max Maven's Symbalance (on his dvd [i]VideoMind Phase 2[/i]) and Richard Osterlind's ESP Card System (in his book [i]The Very Modern Mind Reader[/i] and also on his dvd [i]Mind Mysteries[/i] Vol. 7 I believe).

:banana:
Allow me to direct your attention here...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=182876&forum=15&post=4768813

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=182093&forum=15
[quote]
On 2007-03-27 11:16, looch wrote:
Allow me to direct your attention here...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=182876&forum=15&post=4768813

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=182093&forum=15

[/quote]

I second and third that ....good stuff, direct and mostly simple. Great price for the info contained.
Thanks for all that info
I'm starting to examine them all
Thanks again
TJ
You may be interested in my complete review of Dan Tong's ESP found here:

http://www.magictalk.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi

Ted L
Nice one, Ted
Thanks
TJ
Having purchased tons of ESP matching routines...and trying them all in the real world...my favorite is John George's "Perfect ESP". It is not "on the market" so to speak...you can only get it from his lectures...and if you contact him personally. (www.johngeorge.com)

It is perfect for the strolling magician...VERY easy...VERY convincing...VERY open handling...and no sticky tape, adhesives, or R/S. I saw John kill with this at The Magic Castle one week when we did close up there...it really got an awesome response...he was kind enough to share it with me...and only recently started releasing this on a limited basis.

This is a real "gem" as far as I am concerned...I own 5 sets!

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Apr 2, 2007 08:04PM)
Cody... Thank you for the info. I trust your knowledge and experience, and thus I must search for this one.
I want to second Cody Fisher on this effect by John George. I've seen him do it on stage (in our 2 man show) and close-up/walk around. Plays very strong. He's been out of town for the last week and a half so he'll be getting back today and answering any questions you all may have.
Any more on this?
I'm happy to suggest my own "Bob's Your Uncle" effect for consideration here, a close simulation of the Rhine ESP-card-matching protocol (where the audience member does all the matching, and gets to take the credit). [url=http://www.deceptionary.com/mindsights.html"]Widely praised by working mentalists[/url], this version is simple to perform, closely adheres to the Rhine protocols, and uses no extra/gaffed cards or gimmicks of any kind. Just the ten cards. It's fully repeatable, which is good because audiences invariably want to see it again!

If you prefer the reverse effect, where the entertainer does the matching, I can also recommend Peter Nardi's "Perfect ESP", which can be found on his and Marc Spelmann's [i]Unexpected[/i] DVD set. I have always felt this to be a somewhat weaker effect, but this is a very clever (and also simple) version of it, again using no gaffs or duplicates.
ESP cards are cool!
I love Triception that CCD taught me.

Cassidy has a cool one "The Zener Effect."

Jheff Ponncher has a neat book of three effects called "The Symbol Act"

The booklet that comes with the Beyond Esp 2 cards has solid stuff in it and the Submodalities DVD by Murray et al will keep you busy for a while.

The Bill Cushman symbol thing with the biz card? Super Trippy. Mentalink. Yes indeed.

On the underground side, I think the "Bob Costas Trick" is probably still the most unbelievable thing I have ever seen with ESP cards. It can be easily adapted to playing cards but it works great with Tarot cards and even better with ESP cards.

D
Don,

You think the Bob Costas Trick will ever be released?
Marks Bond, house magician at the safe house in Milwaukee, has a great variation of a classic esp trick!
The ESP effect on submodalities by Dave humphries is good
Coincidence & Fate is my favorite effect using ESP cards. :devilish:
Telepa-Three by Jeff Pierce Magic

Jeff (yes that's me)
Plug plug plug Wake up Dr Rhine is on my new DVD for all those wanting to see it performed. Sean Waters called it "The best ESP card routine ever"
[quote]
On 2008-09-16 09:55, obijuan wrote:
Marks Bond, house magician at the safe house in Milwaukee, has a great variation of a classic esp trick!
[/quote]

Mark's a very good guy and magician. Which of his effects are you referring to? Can you describe it a bit more. Thanks!
I'm working up a version of Mark Strivings "ESP For Fun and Profit" from Mobile Mentalism. I think it will play pretty big, or I hope so.

-David
[quote]
On 2008-09-16 13:35, Jeff wrote:
Telepa-Three by Jeff Pierce Magic

Jeff (yes that's me)
[/quote]

I agree. This will work like a very cool remote viewing experiment.

greg
Triception for me. It's really the only thing I like to do with an esp deck and I had the honor of showing the intriguing pyramidic principle to John Riggs recently who had some good ideas of its possible origin. Michael Fraughton will be discussing his presentation of Triception in a future publication of his.
Could any tell me, is John George's "Perfect ESP" the same as the "perfect ESP" in Peter Nardi and Marc Spelmann's Unexpected DVD set?

Thanks
Richard Osterlind has a very nice routine on his DVD series (can't remember which DVD...). But it's REALLY nice, spectator does everything and you have predicted the outcome.

Astor Mental is nice too, but only for parlor/stage... otherwise it might look suspicious.
[quote]
On 2008-11-14 21:28, mrmuji wrote:
Could any tell me, is John George's "Perfect ESP" the same as the "perfect ESP" in Peter Nardi and Marc Spelmann's Unexpected DVD set?

Thanks
[/quote]

I also wondered about that... Could someone describe the effect?
[quote]
On 2008-09-15 22:33, ddyment wrote:
I'm happy to suggest my own "Bob's Your Uncle" effect for consideration here, a close simulation of the Rhine ESP-card-matching protocol (where the audience member does all the matching, and gets to take the credit). [url=http://www.deceptionary.com/mindsights.html"]Widely praised by working mentalists[/url], this version is simple to perform, closely adheres to the Rhine protocols, and uses no extra/gaffed cards or gimmicks of any kind. Just the ten cards. It's fully repeatable, which is good because audiences invariably want to see it again!

If you prefer the reverse effect, where the entertainer does the matching, I can also recommend Peter Nardi's "Perfect ESP", which can be found on his and Marc Spelmann's [i]Unexpected[/i] DVD set. I have always felt this to be a somewhat weaker effect, but this is a very clever (and also simple) version of it, again using no gaffs or duplicates.
[/quote]

Ok after I've owned the book for a few years I pulled it out and reread BYU Nice. I have a close up mentalism thing this week and this will be great.

It all seems so obvious but I guess it's just my performers attack of thought.

J
One of the best I've seen was at Derren Brown's 'Something Wicked' live show. I think I know how it's done but are any of the 'released' versions the same as or superior to this one, for those that have seen it?
Merlin
Merlin
Jazz Mentalism on the Submodalities DVD
There is quite a cool ESP card effect in the Beyond ESP deck. It comes with a booklet of different effects, plus the cards allow you to get away with murder(Not really but you know what I mean)
I have to agree with Cody Fisher that John George's Perfect ESP is THE best ESP effect on the market. It literally leaves gasps with the spectators. Absolutely unbelievable!!
Where can we find John George's effect?
I emailed him, and he said he was sold out and had to get more printed up. He said he would let me know when that happens, and when it does I will resurrect this thread and let everyone know.

JD
[quote]
On 2008-12-02 08:12, Pit Boss wrote:
I emailed him, and he said he was sold out and had to get more printed up. He said he would let me know when that happens, and when it does I will resurrect this thread and let everyone know.

JD
[/quote]

Thanks. That's why they call you Pit Boss. ;)

J
[quote]
On 2008-12-02 08:12, Pit Boss wrote:

JD
[/quote]

ebook ?? Saves on printing and we get it now ! :P
[/quote]

Thanks. That's why they call you Pit Boss. ;)

J
[/quote]

That, and the fact that I know my way around a BBQ pit... :coolest:
[quote]
On 2008-12-02 08:46, Mesaboogie wrote:
[/quote]
If you purchase the following 3, you're all set:
"Sigma" by Paolo
"Switchcraft" by Elliott Bresler
"The Safwan Papers" by Bryn Reynolds
Quinn has a killer bit in his new book.

J ack

H.o.A-X
[quote]
On 2008-12-02 19:19, Dynamike wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-12-02 08:46, Mesaboogie wrote:
[/quote]
If you purchase the following 3, you're all set:
"Sigma" by Paolo
"Switchcraft" by Elliott Bresler
"The Safwan Papers" by Bryn Reynolds
[/quote]

Thanks for the mention of TSP, Mike.
An honor to be mentioned with those.

PSSST....Al,you, Al Straker: (you have something on your ear...)

Bryn
Not an effect as such,

but Beyond ESP is a must if you wnna play with esp cards.

merlin1979: I don't remeber seeing esp in " something wicked" can you clarify please?
John George's "Perfect ESP" is an adaptation of Larry Becker's effect "ESPitome" from Larry's "World of Supermentalism II". It is absolutely stunning, as is Looch's "Wake Up Dr. Rhine".
For stand up, Dan Tong's version of the 5 CARD MENTAL TEST.
[quote]
On 2008-11-25 16:34, looch wrote:
Merlin
Jazz Mentalism on the Submodalities DVD
[/quote]

Thanks Looch. Will check it out. PS have been having fun with your LPI...

[quote]
On 2008-12-06 04:00, lejon wrote:

merlin1979: I don't remeber seeing esp in " something wicked" can you clarify please?
[/quote]

It was in the live show, not on the TV version, but is included in the extras on the DVD version.

Merlin
An ESP effect was in the Derren Brown show "Something wicked". However this was cut from the aired TV show. I think it might of been included in the DVD version under special features, though I could be wrong.

Oh, just noticed this was said in the post above, silly me.
[quote]
On 2009-01-25 03:35, gabelson wrote:
John George's "Perfect ESP" is an adaptation of Larry Becker's effect "ESPitome" from Larry's "World of Supermentalism II". It is absolutely stunning, as is Looch's "Wake Up Dr. Rhine".
[/quote]

Many, many thanks for pointing this out. I had contacted John George about his effect, and was told it is currently out of stock. Then - as we have so often been told - we find there are chestnuts sitting unread in our own libraries.

Gianni
Meir Yedid has RON FROST'S SEEING STARS in his site.
Take a look, is nice
http://www.mymagic.com/frost.htm

Ponchito
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Jan 25, 2009 02:49PM)
THE FIFTH ELEMENT (will be in my Genius & Madness book).
How many of those mentioned can be done without having to read marks on the cards?

- entity
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Jan 25, 2009 04:06PM)
Thomas,

I have two versions of my THE FIFTH ELEMENT- one with marks and one without ANY mark.

Cannot speak for all the other effects mentioned (but some of them I know, and they need marks).
[quote]
On 2009-01-25 16:51, entity wrote:
How many of those mentioned can be done without having to read marks on the cards?

- entity
[/quote]

Mine :)
^Jazz Mentalism can be presented like that. Are you familiar with it? Is yours different?
[quote]
On 2009-01-25 18:48, J.A.Garland wrote:
I have a version that has the following conditions -

Only 10 cards used, 5 different symbols x2.
You always place your card down first, followed by the participant.
The cards are laid down seperately, not in piles or anything.
The participant turns the cards over to reveal the matching pairs.
No switches or forces.

I usually do this with blank business cards, and have the symbols be personalized for each individual so they have more meaning.

[/quote]
And ??

you just took the burden to login and post that to show how smart you are [if we have to believe you] or this can be found in some place ??
[quote]
On 2009-01-25 19:10, PsiDroid wrote:
you just took the burden to login and post that to show how smart you are [if we have to believe you] or this can be found in some place ??
[/quote]

Chill out bro. Give him time. PDFs don't compile themselves yo.
[quote]
On 2009-01-25 18:48, J.A.Garland wrote:
I have a version that has the following conditions -

Only 10 cards used, 5 different symbols x2.
You always place your card down first, followed by the participant.
The cards are laid down seperately, not in piles or anything.
The participant turns the cards over to reveal the matching pairs.
No switches or forces.[/quote]

[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=280840&forum=218]Me too.[/url]

(See "My Zeneration.")
I ask because,without glasses my eyesight isn't good enough to read the marks from across the table any more. It would seem odd to put glasses on for something like an ESP card matching routine.

- entity
My "Bob's Your Uncle" uses no marked cards, nor gaffs, nor duplicates, nor stacks, ...
[quote]My "Bob's Your Uncle" uses no marked cards, nor gaffs, nor duplicates, nor stacks, ...[/quote]

Doug, have you ever thought of performing your effect with 'character' cards rather than ESP symbols? Just imagine the possibilities when the spectator correctly matches, then turns over cartoon drawings of:

Bob - Fanny
Hitler - Stalin
Michael Moore - Penn
Joe 6 Pack - Joe The Plumber
Tom Curise - David Icke
Davit asked:[quote]Doug, have you ever thought of performing your effect with 'character' cards rather than ESP symbols?[/quote]
I [i]have[/i] occasionally used it with symbols other than the Zener variety (one of the benefits of this method is that it is truly impromptu), but I normally do it with ESP cards as part of a larger routine involving same.

But that's just a personal preference; there's no reason at all why other presentations couldn't be equally effective (and baffling). It's absolutely one of my favourite effects; particularly as it bears repetition, something that can't be said for most approaches. And audiences almost [i]always[/i] want to see it again.
Has anyone got Peter Nardi's effect called "E.S.Perfect"?
I saw the demo video, and it just blew me away completely!

How does that compare with some of the best E.S.P. effects?

Thinking of getting this as part of my mentalism routine. I've been trying to find a review of this on here, but haven't found one yet.
ESPerfect is good. Worth getting if you do a fair amount of close up. No marks.

It contains the a great comedy line of typical Nardi/Spellman quality... Looch is given the opportunity to win a twenty pound note and places it on the table.

Looch "I've heard of these"
Nardi "These are nice.. Down south, you see a lot of these"
Looch "I've heard of the purple ones.. I wasn't sure it was true"

It's also worth getting just for the box/star joke at the end.
Thanks for the positive feedback Davit.
I was hoping you can answer some questions for me...
What you see in the demo video, is that whole routine 100% working all the time?
Including the first part where he asks the spectator what she is thinking of, and its actually the card he is holding up.

Does he go through the psychological aspects of the effect on the DVD?
He goes through the effect in detail, with a bunch of variations and different presentations.
I think E.S.Perfect is very clever, but the sudden appearance of the blank cards strikes me far too much as a magic trick (i.e., mental magic) for my taste. And really, it's only the matching of a single card (albeit one known in advance). But again, it's too "pat" for my liking, and (I believe) leaves the audience with no other explanation than "force" (which it is). Also, the cards are gaffed, which means I can't go on and use them for something else. (In other words, it's a "packet trick".)

[And no, the effect as shown in the demo video is not 100%; the first revelation is just chance (though you have close to a 50% likelihood of pulling it off). Only the climax is 100%.]

A much nicer mentalism effect from the Nardi stable is "Perfect ESP". It is, however, a quite different effect from the one primarily being discussed here. In Perfect ESP, the [i]entertainer[/i] does the card matching; I have always found this to be a much weaker outcome than when the participant does so.

At one point, I used Perfect ESP as a lead-in to "Bob's Your Uncle" (using the identical cards, the participant accomplishes the same matching that I have just demonstrated). But I eventually abandoned it, as I found the mixing procedure to be a bit contrived: why are we taking so much care in mixing the entertainer's cards when s/he is going to take them in a chosen order anyway? Still, like "Bob's Your Uncle", it's truly impromptu mentalism, with no gaffs of any kind, thus a very good method to have in one's repertoire.
Believe it or not, my Corinda arrived in a packet ;)

The first revelation isn't 100%, but the one on the demo isn't the only "perfect" hit from the audiences POV, you have a 60% chance by pure odds, but you can typically add substantially to that percentage by selecting the most popular symbols.

I do agree that it is a bit 'magical'... it is what it is.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think its a buy for me. It was pretty much a buy for me all along.

I just hope I don't have to go out and buy any extra cards!

Davit, what do you mean when you said this?
"Believe it or not, my Corinda arrived in a packet"
I believe ESP matching effects should be as simple for the audience to understand as possible.

My routine involves simply asking the spectator to think of a symbol, you read their mind and place one down, face down. They do the same.

This happens 5 times. The cards are turned over and shown to match. It really is as clear and uncontrived as effects can get. No pairing of cards or swapping. You lay down, they lay down, they all match, simple !

Indeed, I used to use marked cards for a number of years to accomplish this and so couldn't really do it across a table at a distance, until I realised I was thinking too much like a magician and had to kick myself several times when I realised WHY I didn't need marked cards, afterall.

I also begin the effect without cards and just naming the symbol the participant is thinking of, similar to Nardi's intro in ESPerfect, but use a subtley to give myself about 90% of a hit, or partial hit. I conclude the effect with the idea of precognition where you predict a symbol ahead of time. The routine lasts about 4 minutes.

All cards are ungaffed and fit snuggly into a wallet. With a well thought out presentation and script, and a very "convincing" performance, this WILL slay an audience. Believe me, I know.

Regards

Andrew
Vernon's Mental card trick in Stars of magic can be applied perfectly to ESP cards.
[quote]
On 2007-04-02 20:55, Cody S. Fisher wrote:
Having purchased tons of ESP matching routines...and trying them all in the real world...my favorite is John George's "Perfect ESP". It is not "on the market" so to speak...you can only get it from his lectures...and if you contact him personally. (www.johngeorge.com)

It is perfect for the strolling magician...VERY easy...VERY convincing...VERY open handling...and no sticky tape, adhesives, or R/S. I saw John kill with this at The Magic Castle one week when we did close up there...it really got an awesome response...he was kind enough to share it with me...and only recently started releasing this on a limited basis.

This is a real "gem" as far as I am concerned...I own 5 sets!

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher

[/quote]

Just down the street Cody, please lemme know if this is ever released.

Thanks

Candin
It's out.
Penguin
Got it today and I think it is very good!
Yeah, it's good. Nice alternative to Zen mentalism et al.
You might want to look this up: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=622943&forum=82&23&start=20#2 ...;) Jan
I'm not familiar with John George's routine, but I'm going to buy it after reading the reviews. My favorites are Hen Fetch's Symbologic, and Nick Trost's Dream Of The Hermit.
Rhine's revenge is the best I have seen.
In case you’re not familiar with it:

https://youtu.be/1MndYkx9BX4

And

https://youtu.be/dmsiaV1TeHE
[quote]On Nov 22, 2017, JanForster wrote:
You might want to look this up: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=622943&forum=82&23&start=20#2 ...;) Jan [/quote]
Some beautiful thinking in there, Jan.
[quote]On Nov 22, 2017, JanForster wrote:
You might want to look this up: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=622943&forum=82&23&start=20#2 ...;) Jan [/quote]

If you haven't clicked Jan's link yet, you are missing out on an incredibly generous offer.
Thanks for the link and thank you Jan.
Well, the best ESP effect is NOT Smart ESP from Matt Smart! In my opinion!
If you've never seen this, watch a trailer from a dealer. Now I understand that many commercial tricks have multiple outs, but... come on... this is awful. When revealing you "knew" the card stopped on, it's confusing, vague and almost made up on the spot! Being a fan of esp packet effects I was somewhat disappointed with this as a purchase. Still I guess someone likes it as it appears popular!
Not for me!
The ESP effect on submodalities by Dave humphries
Paralabs' Depicting Thoughts - been using it for years and it never fails to impress.
Jazz Mentalism by Dave Humphrey
Shape-up by Max Maven
Symbalance by Max Maven
ESP Stack by Richard Osterlind