(Close Window)
Topic: I miss Al....
;^)

Don't post. Maybe he will come back in a somewhat edited version!
I'm afraid the edited version wouldn't be at all interesting. They always seem to pull the thread just when it was getting interesting. Any Idea who was last to post and what they said that finally was too extreme?
I posted shortly before the thread was swept away. I mentioned an issue (re: evolution) of moving from cell division to copulation as the reproductive method.
Took a couple of sentences to explain what I meant and said it was an interesting question.

I would guess that the decision to pull the thread was already made by the time I posted, though.

The Mike Doogan thread is getting interesting. Have you seen it? Just a couple of threads away from this one.
I have no idea what you two are talking about.
Al Angello
It's ok. I'm trying to get Payne over to the Mike Doogan thread.
I have already confessed to being the real Mike Doogan, and I do know everybody.
Al Angello
I know you have confessed - but I don't believe you!!!
I hope you all will take the time to see my comments on the new XBOX 360 thread , and see what that move means for the Wii.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 29, 2007 09:09PM)
I hope they save the zapped threads somewhere. Some of my favorite discussions got the ax.
So you don't believe me hu. I guess you also don't think I'm the father of Anna Nichole's baby either.

Josh
There is no archive of zapped threads.
Al Angello
Actually you being the father of Anna Nichole's baby is the one thing I could believe! LOL. Who is Al? And why can't I remember him?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 30, 2007 06:42AM)
[quote]
On 2007-03-29 20:27, Payne wrote:
I'm afraid the edited version wouldn't be at all interesting. They always seem to pull the thread just when it was getting interesting. Any Idea who was last to post and what they said that finally was too extreme?
[/quote]

IMHO the discussion was getting side tracked into matters of faith.

The base question, about where to draw a line between what we choose to believe and what we can measure vs what we would like to believe and what we choose not to measure is an invitation to madness for some folks.
I'm a little slow, but you guys are looking for Al Gore. Isn't he a political figure? Politics, and religion have no place in magic, I don't even like "the good news" it's too spooky for me.
Al Angello
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 30, 2007 07:39AM)
Al, religion depends upon a perception of magic in the world. And politics shape how we discuss and interact with the world in groups.
I was surprised it didn't get yanked sooner.
[quote]

IMHO the discussion was getting side tracked into matters of faith.

[/quote]

This may win the Café award for The Understatement of 2007!

:^)
I was reading Paynes last post and when I clicked on 'back' the thread had disappeared - so Payne had the last word - but I can assure you it was a very reasonable post and I assume the decision to delete was based on earlier posts.

Like Kregg I'm surprised we got as far as we did.

For those who are desperate to know the content of Paynes last post it follows verbatim

[quote]

Dear dear Carrie, I am sorry I've taken so long to reply to your very reasoned and articulate post but I was filing down my horns - and it is so hot down here today - well it is every day really.

I was going to post a rebuttal to your last post but then I was struck by a light and realised you were totally correct.

Oh Carrie - I have been so blind.

No time to lose I'm afraid. I'm off to buy some shares in Halliburton - on the way I'll be registering as a Republican and then after I'm off to bible study

Blessings

Brother Payne.[/quote]
LOLOLOLOL nice PD
That's what I get for going to get some shelves for the shop. I posted yesterday morning, left for too many hours while the Wife got new glasses and check in today and poof. I would have liked to see responses. I want my money back.
Doug

Unfortunately when you took your leave from the thread both the wit and the gravitas went with you.

The thread was not yanked - it threw itself into the rising seas rather than go on without you.

We could have solved the problems of the world here but your selfish wish to get new shelves and spend time with your wife denied us that.

Al Gore will be hearing about you!

Destiny
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 30, 2007 09:40AM)
Okay, who here thinks it melted?
Notice Doug was gone when it disappeared - he stole it and traded it for carbon credits.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 30, 2007 09:53AM)
We should contact the NSA. I'm sure they archived the thread with links to our personal files.
Josh has a point the FBI is snooping into affairs that they shouldn't be. Do you think we have been infiltrated by Alkida (please excuse my Arabic).
Al Angello
I consider every person on the Magic Café a friend for we all share a common passion for the magical arts.
Any argument (the logical type) which include emotional driven mantra is senseless, having zero benefit in civil discussions.
In essence, using the classic argumentative tactic of attacking the weakest premise to stir controversy in an effort to focus attention away from the original topic to force a counterattack in the most vulnerable spot; has no place among friends. Especially those who take it personally, get emotional and counterattack.
"Halliburton" is not an argument, it is a coded wedge.
Our modern day politico's behave in ways I find despicable, for they are not masters in persuasion, but, factors for dissuasion and division.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 30, 2007 10:09AM)
Al, I know of several magicians who have bombed! Badaup-Bum!
Kregg

It can be difficult as a foreigner to understand the emotional or political baggage that attaches to some things for Americans - and I'm sure the reverse is also true.

Sometimes we think we're sailing on smooth waters only to suddenly find ourselves in a whirlpool, apparently of our own creation.

Fortunately there is a lot of good will and good humor here and little undieing emnity. The common passion you mention probably helps there.

Destiny
[quote]
On 2007-03-30 09:35, plasticdestiny wrote:
I was reading Paynes last post and when I clicked on 'back' the thread had disappeared - so Payne had the last word - but I can assure you it was a very reasonable post and I assume the decision to delete was based on earlier posts.

Like Kregg I'm surprised we got as far as we did.

For those who are desperate to know the content of Paynes last post it follows verbatim

[quote]

Dear dear Carrie, I am sorry I've taken so long to reply to your very reasoned and articulate post but I was filing down my horns - and it is so hot down here today - well it is every day really.

I was going to post a rebuttal to your last post but then I was struck by a light and realised you were totally correct.

Oh Carrie - I have been so blind.

No time to lose I'm afraid. I'm off to buy some shares in Halliburton - on the way I'll be registering as a Republican and then after I'm off to bible study

Blessings

Brother Payne.[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm glad you were able to save my last post. Unfortunately the light I saw was the one in my refrigerator and it went out when I closed the door.
To get the money to buy Haliburton Stock I'd have to sell of my shares in Costco and that ain't gonna happen. I went to register as a Republican but their office was vacant as they'd moved out of town years ago -- this is Seattle after all. And I really tried to study the Bible last night but everytime I pick the darn thing up it burns, it burns.
At least we can enjoy roasting marshmallows together.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Mar 30, 2007 11:29AM)
My uncle Screwtape says that happens sometimes when you mistakenly attribute meaning to the paper itself. Remember, meaning comes from actions. Results are what counts.

I hope it's a nice hot summer.
I wish I could delete the really al as easily as the tread.
[quote]
On 2007-03-30 12:29, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
My uncle Screwtape says that happens sometimes when you mistakenly attribute meaning to the paper itself. Remember, meaning comes from actions. Results are what counts.

I hope it's a nice hot summer.
[/quote]

You have an Uncle Screwtape as well?

We must be related!
[quote]
On 2007-03-30 13:20, Big "dumb" Jeff wrote:
I wish I could delete the really al as easily as the tread.
[/quote]

Huh?
"I wish I could delete the real Al as easily as the thread."

Didn't they already do that in Florida on the voting machines in 2000? :)

Onward to 16 more pages! [yecch]

Jack Shalom
Electors, not voters choose the President.
Not electors, not voters.

The perceived results of the voting machines elect the President.

That is, the perceived results of the voting machines that the Supreme Court says are allowed to be counted accurately.

Jack
With no psychic ability at all I can predict this will not go 16 pages.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Mar 30, 2007 09:26PM)
What could go wrong?
"That is, the perceived results of the voting machines that the Supreme Court says are allowed to be counted accurately."

Milk spills get over it, or as they say "Moveon.org"
Move on, now that's irony.
From ABC News: "As most Americans learned in school and re-learned during the 2000 election, Americans do not directly elect their presidents and vice presidents. They actually elect "electors," who make up the Electoral College and cast the critical electoral votes for the nation's top two jobs."

Once again Jack, read please read the Constitution and stop confusing the US method of selection with Russia's voting system.
If it were a popularity contest, or the one with the most money, Warren Buffet or Angelina Jolie (at 35) would be president.
Please don't confuse what we both wish were true, the ideal, with reality. Yes I know we officially elect electors. Now can we deal with reality?

The system is broken. Election fraud is a reality and will get worse. It's very very easy to compromise the electronic voting machines at several places along the system. For more on voting fraud since just 2004 see for example: http://www.bbvforums.org/forums/messages/1954/1954.html

BTW I never said the presidency was a popularity contest. Clearly, if it were, you wouldn't have the large percentage who stay home and don't vote at all.

Neither do I think the contest goes to those with the most money, although it certainly doesn't hurt to have a lot of it. Raising a certain amount of money, however, certainly is a requirement in order to
have a shot at winning--and access to that kind of money is beyond most people--even most politicians. It's not possible to run a campaign anymore without large donations from special interest groups.

For the record, I've never voted for Gore, and would never do so. I'm not a fan of Moveon.org either. But I do believe in trying to improve the current reality. A republic if you can keep it said Franklin--it requires more than just touching an easily manipulated screen every four years to keep it.

Jack Shalom
No question about the collection of votes fallibility, no matter the method. The comedian Gallagher had a joke, "If cops are so honest, why do they lock their lockers?"

It is no concern of mine who anyone votes for in an election. The moment the words, "I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States" are uttered, this person is my president (like 'em or not).

Though I may find some of their actions objectionable, I bite my critical tongue until after they leave office. I have shot off an occasional e-mail to their office. With other statesman and local officials, all bets are off.
This is hilarious....

global warming to young earth/old earth to evolution to voting to....

capital punishment, anyone???

:^P
[quote]
On 2007-03-31 18:02, landmark wrote:
The system is broken. Election fraud is a reality and will get worse. It's very very easy to compromise the electronic voting machines at several places along the system.[/quote]

This is nothing new of course… long before electronic voting… long before chads… during the 1960 presidential election it was Illinois that had dead people voting (which gave JFK the win… Joe calling in favors and making it happen for his son). Do not think for a moment this is something new or something limited to a particular political party. I doubt there is, or ever has been, a such thing as a “fair” election.
[quote]
On 2007-03-31 20:50, sparks wrote:
[quote]
The system is broken. Election fraud is a reality and will get worse. It's very very easy to compromise the electronic voting machines at several places along the system.[/quote]

This is nothing new of course… long before electronic voting… long before chads… during the 1960 presidential election it was Illinois that had dead people voting (which gave JFK the win… Joe calling in favors and making it happen for his son). Do not think for a moment this is something new or something limited to a particular political party. I doubt there is, or ever has been, a such thing as a “fair” election.
[/quote]Just because it is pervasive that doesn't mean that it is OK
[quote]
On 2007-03-31 21:29, Marvello wrote:
Just because it is pervasive that doesn't mean that it is OK
[/quote]
I did not state, nor imply, that it was.
[quote]
kregg wrote:
Though I may find some of their [the presidents'] actions objectionable, I bite my critical tongue until after they leave office. I have shot off an occasional e-mail to their office. With other statesman and local officials, all bets are off [/quote]

How come?

Jack
[quote]
On 2007-03-31 20:50, sparks wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Hence my original remark:
[quote]The perceived results of the voting machines elect the President.[/quote]

Jack Shalom
[quote]
On 2007-03-31 20:38, Chessmann wrote:
This is hilarious....

[/quote]

I KNOW we've been down that road before. Pardon me if I refrain :)

Jack
Chessmann,

Forgive me... but I must agree with you.

Destiny
You know, Destiny, if we were sitting down over coffee, I'm sure we would find a number of things we agreed on, and a number of things we didn't, but we could still enjoy the coffee and the conversation and the company.

Have a good day,

Mark
Agreed again - and I'm sure, as Kregg pointed out somewhere, true for most people on here. This Café is a most civil place. It is very well thought out - and the rules work (even the ones I go perilously close to breaking.)

I don't do the internet chat thing and am incredulous at friends who let their kids do it, but happily make an exception for this place. Living where I do I would not otherwise get to discuss magic.

I am actually having an absolutely wonderful day, and hope the same for you.

Destiny
Quote:

kregg wrote:
Though I may find some of their [the presidents'] actions objectionable, I bite my critical tongue until after they leave office. I have shot off an occasional e-mail to their office. With other statesman and local officials, all bets are off

Jack asked, "How come?"

I don't know why. Perhaps it stems from my youthful impressions like JFK's assassination, or Nixon's broken demise. These things really affect the mental welfare of a nation.

"It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one."
George Washington
I'm still waiting to find out how long that guy peeling potatoes was sitting there...anyone...Bueller?
April 1st and only two pages? YOU'RE NOT TRYING, PEOPLE!!
[quote]
On 2007-03-31 20:38, Chessmann wrote:
This is hilarious....

[/quote]

Only if you can be original in method. ie, Mark David Chapman should be lowered into a Beatles convention by his ankle!
Folks....stop this! I meant JOLSON!
Al Jolson
Al the Only
Al Angelo
Al Bundy
Al B Sure
Al Jazeera
Weird Al
Al Pacino
Al Qaeda
Al-Anon
Alateen
Al Purdy
Alabama
Albania
Al Capone
Albert Eintstein
Alaska
Al Nye the Lawyer Guy
Alladin
Alegro
Alegria
Al Harrington
al.com
Paul Simon---"You can call me Al"
Et al

AL

Usage: English

Pronounced: AL [key]
Short form of ALBERT and other names beginning with al.

ALBERT

Usage: English, French, Slovene, Polish, Russian, Dutch

Pronounced: AL-burt (English), al-BER (French), AHL-bert (Polish) [key]
From the Germanic name Adalbrecht which meant "bright nobility", composed of the elements adal "noble" and beraht "bright". It was introduced to England by the Normans. This name, in its various forms, has belonged to kings of Belgium and Germany, as well as others among European royalty. Other famous bearers include the physicist Albert Einstein, creator of the theory of relativity, and Albert Camus, a French-Algerian writer and philosopher.
[img]http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/523/ksm0094lgg0.jpg[/img]