(Close Window)
Topic: Keeping the wrinkles away...
I place a damp towel over my silks and iron them. However, sometimes I get creases that way. Is there a standard for silk care that I'm not aware of?
Chad,

I don't recommend ironing silks with water because, depending on the water, that can be a source of stains on real silk.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Wet them and put them on a mirror.
Cordially,
Howard
My grandma always used a press cloth and steam iron. Never the hottest setting and never directly on the silk. Always worked for her.
Bob is correct about water staining certain silk. I have got a few with stains that I cannot remove. I am careful when it comes to water and silks. I try to iron mine without steam whenever I can.

Regan
The water and mirror thing is great. However, this method has also ruined my card on silk. The white interior is now pink, as the red around it eventually bleed right in. Think I'll try out Regan's advice!
Thanks for the input! I'll try dry ironing on an inexpensive one first :)
The iron is fine but I am on the road so much the mirror is easier.
Cordially,
Howard
[quote]
On 2007-04-03 04:00, Bob Sanders wrote:

Chad,

I don't recommend ironing silks with water because, depending on the water, that can be a source of stains on real silk.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

[/quote]

Bob,

Are you saying that you should never wet silks?

David W.
Oops! I can't say that. But I'm more likely to wash the whole silk in water and Woolite than wet it to iron it. I usually iron dry silks.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
On the road I steam up the bathroom and then put them on the mirror. I don't have to carry an iron.
Howard
[quote]
On 2007-04-06 00:54, Bob Sanders wrote:
Oops! I can't say that. But I'm more likely to wash the whole silk in water and Woolite than wet it to iron it. I usually iron dry silks.
Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[/quote]
Boy, you scared me for a minute, Bob. I thought I had done something wrong.
David W.
It has been many years (12 of them!) since I have responded to this topic but a Saturday morning phone call convinced me that magicians still have questions.

YES! It is OK to iron silks. Make sure they are clean first! Also make sure your silks are REALLY SILK. Most irons have a "Silk" setting. Please use it.

Wet or dry? ---- Frankly I usually iron dry silks. The problem with wet silks is not the silk but the things in the water. Lime in the water leaves white spots. Iron in the water leaves red spots. --- Your dry cleaners daily iron Wool suits with silk lining. Clean Steam Irons are nice.

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob
Amazedwiz@yahoo.com
Bob, as usual, is right on with this advise.
Use ALL of these tips, and your silks will look beautiful and your act will pop!
Enjoy.
Hi Ruth, nice to see you on the Café once again. We miss your knowledge about silk scarves.

I only use distilled water of a jug from the grocery store, I put in my steam and spray iron. No impurities to worry about.
I dry iron my magic silks with a regular iron and ironing board. I've done it that way for years. I know that some silk magic experts suggest against it, but some say it's fine.

- Donald