(Close Window)
Topic: Best tools for impromptu closeup
I'm just getting back into magic after many years. Can anyone give me some ideas for the best tools to carry for a broad range of impromptu closeup material.

Here is a list of what I currently carry.

1. TT
2. 808 Poker Cards
3. Silk
4. ITR
5. Rubber Bands
6. Coins
I'm no expert but that seems pretty comprehensive. I'm just about to invest in a piece of jewellery to compliment my outfit, ahem! From what I've read they're pretty versatile...
How about some sponge balls/rabbits?
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> :) :bwink:
1. Cards
2. Thumb Tip
3. Spongeballs
4. Rubber bands
5. Coins

For impromptu id use everything that you can find in a bar. I do 3 card monte with 3 dunno english word.. eehmm those things you put ur drink on:)
Rubberbands r almost always there , coins too for coins across etc.

getting stuff with you is not really impromptu I assume.
[quote]
On 2007-04-05 12:09, MichielTummers wrote:
I do 3 card monte with 3 dunno english word.. eehmm those things you put ur drink on:)
[/quote]

We call them "coasters". They do work pretty well for 3cm.

Keep on truckin'
Ok thanks for the word:)
The effect "Prohibition"
Money
A gold ring and a piece of string.
a pencil for an "impromptu magic wand".
business cards

more to follow.
I think to some degree that you mean 'seemingly impromptu'. :)

Quarter ].
Swami.
Small pad.
Handkerchief or bandana.
Pen w/ cap.
Cord or shoelace.
Poster Putty.
Magnet.
Matches
straws
nuts and bolts (thanks Doc Eason)
thread
lighter
rubberbands
TT
Pen with two caps of which one is superglued onto the pen
two or three napkins
business cards, top two cut in half widthways
How to interpret "impromtu"? Normaly it means that we are carrying nothing and we must rely on what is available under the circumstances. Considering these conditions what would a non-performer carry that could be used at any time,that could realy be impromptu magic. What would it be? A wallet, hankie, pen, coins, etc. Let's add to this list ignoring the fact that the items may or may not be "magical' but more importantly they are very ordinary.Then let's consider the effects that these items can be used for. This would prepare us for all occasions.
[quote]
On 2007-04-06 17:54, CAROLINI wrote:
How to interpret "impromtu"? Normaly it means that we are carrying nothing and we must rely on what is available under the circumstances. Considering these conditions what would a non-performer carry that could be used at any time,that could realy be impromptu magic. What would it be? A wallet, hankie, pen, coins, etc.
Let's add to this list ignoring the fact that the items may or may not be "magical' but more importantly they are very ordinary.Then let's consider the effects that these items can be used for. This would prepare us for all occasions.
[/quote]

Yes.
To me the magic is done with common objects or common looking objects and is believed to be impromptu to those watching.
I also feel that bringing certain not-so-common item(s)such as silks, silver dollars, etc, from nowhere (production) can be effective in impromptu magic but that the item(s) should then return from whence they came (vanish). But that's just me. ;)

[quote]Then let's consider the effects that these items can be used for. This would [b][i]prepare us for all occasions[/i][/b].[/quote]

Absolutely!
The more versatile the "magical" item and your ability to perform with many different items the better. As a serious impromptu magician we should be prepared for a variety of situations.
How many this kinda threads are going to get?
I agree with Carolini and Jaz.

You need to distinguish between gadgets and props.

Props (what the spetatotor sees) can (and should) be borrowed: cigarettes, pen, business card, coin, bill, ring, etc. Do magic with those (from spectator) rather than your own.

Gadgets (gimmicks that the spectator NEVER sees) clearly cannot be borrowed! So bring your own TT, swami, PK Ring, pull, cig thru quarter or whatever.

With 1 or 2 gadgets, a deck of cards and a bunch of borrowed items you should be abole to perform a complete act!

Is that impromtpu? Who knows! It's just called "being prepared"!
First buy the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic by Martin Gardner.
Pete,

Any hints on where to pick up a copy for less than the 250 dollar price tag I keep seeing at online used bookstores?
A prepared mind.

There is no better tool for impromptu closeup magic.

If you have a good selection of close up effects that you can do with every day objects (see Jay Marshall's Table Cr*p video from Stevens for a unch of those) and some good presentations for them, then you are ready.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
I also think that if you learn to do things with stuff you find around (borrowed coins, pencils, paper, napkins, bills, etc...), then you'll be all set.

That is the best, and most impressive, "impromptu closeup" around.

Mark.
I agree with the above replies. It is best if you can use what you can find or borrow. Obviously, there are certain things you may want to occasionally use that can not be borrowed. Things such as TT, pk rings, sponge balls, hot rod, etc. However, anything you can borrow will make the experience more personal for the spectator and they will tend to remember it longer.

Dale.
Knowledge

Robert
I agree - learn to use the props that are around you (occasionally with the help of some tool). I'm re-entering magic myself and found Wilson's On the Spot DVD, and others on money magic very helpful (and less expensive than the Encyclopedia mentioned above).
The fact is - the audience actually expect magicians to be able to perform with any items available.
Lee Darrow, RBattle, and James Tong have the correct frame of mind. You might be better practicing and polishing up on various sleights, then you will be able to perform on a moment's notice with a borrowed item and astonish them with some amazing magic.
For me...I carry things I would normally have on me.

I use Time Machine Watch -- which serves as my regular watch.
Ultimate Pen Through Anything --- which I normally write with.

Carry some loops around my wrist
Good ole traditional TT
Always have coins in my pocket
Maybe a couple of rubber bands
Brains...
Best tools for impromptu closeup are those you borrow...

Love impromptu effects!!!