(Close Window)
Topic: Nasal Floss - new, or not?
A few years ago I was fortunate enough to see Todds show at the DC area Skeptics Society Aside from being a truly amazing show, I was immediately inspired. At the time I was working with a DC area haunted house and developing a sideshow themed entrainment for the crowds awaiting entry.

Anyway, a couple of the stunts I saw that night caught my eye (or rather my nose)
One was Blockhead, but the other was (I believe Todd called it) Brain Floss, wherein the balloon goes in the nose and out the mouth.

With a bit of guidance from a Physician friend (I had no idea at the time there was this wealth of knowledge and camaraderie available) I was able to work out both of them. Not wanting to simply copy someone elses work I thought to add my own idea on top of what Id seen maybe to try to advance the art (foolish thought, I now think), but also to add my own style and maybe to be a bit unique, or to do something new.

In the end, some mentalist sideshow master already doing the stunt probably just sent me his idea to work the balloon back out the other side and play with it through both nostrils for a while.

Ive been doing it for a year or so in isolation and that simply must mean that someone else has been doing it for much longer. I call it Nasal Floss, but Id like to give proper credit if its really a well know (or simply someone elses) act.

If not, Im happy to go with Nasal Floss. In either case Id be interested in hearing about ideas (new or existing) for acts wrapped around this stunt.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve:

What is it exactly that you're doing. Maybe I'm fried--we're potty training our son this week...so that's a definitely possibility--but from your post I can't make out exactly what it is you're doing and with what.

I believe you're using a balloon, but I'm not sure what more you're doing with it other than what Todd Robbins does in his routine.

If I'm not mistaken, Todd is the one who originated the use of a balloon being put up the nose and passed through the passage into the mouth. If he originated it, I'm sure he's done a multitude of things with it and his passage, so you may want to drop him a line.

--Jon
If I'm understanding Gameanii correctly, I believe his is putting the balloon up one nostril and manipulating it to come out of the other nostril. Coining the name "Nasal Floss" since it is using both nasal passages. I may be just reading it wrong though.
Jon,

Jerseyrebel is right, goes in and out the nostrals...

Captured in a casual moment...
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Apr 10, 2007 12:00PM)
Hmmm, sounds intruiging.... BTW, Todd (dear friend that he is) did NOT invent mental flossing. He may have perfected the use of the balloon with the golf ball sized air bubble, but this nasal flossing sounds new, or snot? (heh heh, I had to). Getting the string to run in and out of both nostrils sounds like a difficult act... if you do it, it's yours!! Go to the patent office immediately and copyright it!
You know, that's a good look for you. ;)
Nasal Floss with string or tubing is very old. The first person I saw perform a tube in one side and out the other was Matt Crowley with the Jim Rose troupe. For some background on all manner of flossing here's a link:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_050.html

Todd
Todd,

Thanks, for the inspiration and the Info...

Much appreciate both,

Steve
Hi guys , anyone able to give any advice / tips (pm ) on achieving balloon in nasal passage thru to mouth .
Regards Mark
Only that I find nostral to nostral to be easier...
But, you gotta have the nose for it.
I think Lucyfire does it with those chains made up of little connected balls that are used to hold pens down on desks so they won't walk away (like at the post office). Looks abit rough.
Free the PENS!!!!!! Its a discrace that they should be held captive that way!
Yes, she does. And Dave, it's ok. The pens are not attached.
Phew now I feel better! have they been released in to their natural habitat? The STAPLES store.....

Why is this forum so strange?
This is not strange. This is everyday conversation, for some of us. Maybe you have your own odd little slant on the world?
So, Harley, you planning any balloon work for us students?

Details, man, I need details.

Steve
Ok ,so I wet the baloon and slid it up my nostril ,little by little.Man it seemed like ages before it entered the back of the passage,loads of snorting and coughing. Finally coughed it into my mouth but was gagging like a cat with hair balls. Had to pull it out ( un inflated sadly ) . Guess its not going to be ,unless I can find a slimmer baloon.......
Mark
No one said show business was going to be easy.
Gagging up a cat with hair balls .................

now that I would pay to see! Did you have to coax him in before you tried the balloon? :)

I know I'm twisting your words ... but the image is great!
No balloons from me, and I promise I'll try not to rant about them!