(Close Window)
Topic: Cheap throwing knives
For anyone who is interested, Dube at 520 Broadway in NYC has unfinished throwing knife blanks for $5 a piece. I don't think they'll ship them and there were only about 50-60 in the box when I went there, so get them while there hot. Unfortunately they are unfinished blanks so you need to have access to tools to sharpen and shape them yourself, but they are only $5.
Dube has many interesting and useful things. Everybody should check them out.
Look at that Harley figured out his avatar dilemma, I'm proud of ya man.
Thanks to airship!

It was too obvious, and no wonder I didn't see it. I hate buttons.
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Apr 17, 2007 09:27PM)
Nice, and the best thing is, you don't need an edge on them, just a good sturdy tip, so for the most part unless they were not heat treated, they are ready to go right out of the box.
I just orderes some from instawares.com. It's a restaurant supply place, but they had throwing knives. 14" cold steel pro thrower for $8.54 each. Take ten bucks off with google checkout. It was quite a deal.
I think the bunny in hat avatar looks more like Harley than that picture.
What exactly do you mean by unfinished, are they just unpointed? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Scary,,,,,,quick put the bunny back,,,,gonna get nightmares tonight!
I'm guessing it's a rough metal not a mirror or brushed finish on them as well as not having a point, not a huge deal, but if they aren't shipping them then you'd have to travel to NYC from jersey. Kinda defeats the point of being "cheap" if you're traveling to get them.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Apr 18, 2007 07:21AM)
Heh... I blame myself. Didn't know he was gonna go for a close up!!

A word on working metal: You can't just take a knife to a grinder or sander and work it into a shape and be okay. If you overheat the tip you will lose its' temper. Tempering is a method of heat treatment that removes hardness from metals. The word heat treatment is too wide and general of a term to use anyway. Quenching, annealing, hardening and tempering are ALL forms of heat treatment, so which one would it be listed as? Anyway, when I forge knives and swords (yes I make swords, but they are letter opener size DO NOT ASK ME TO MAKE YOU A SWORD TO SWALLOW!), I pound the yellow hot metal into shape, then grind it into form and put an edge on it. Then it goes back into the forge to a yellow heat and quenched in either an oil bath or brine. At this point the metal is very hard, but also very brittle, so it needs to be tempered to draw away that brittle characteristic. Tempering is heating the metal back to around 400 to 600 degrees, I know when the metal is tempered right by the oxidizing colors that run on the surface (the temper oxides are beautiful rainbows of color that occur when metal is heated). NOW to the point (literally and figuratively): When grinding/sanding a point, (I recommend a 1" vertical belt sander) I keep a basin of water nearby. Every pass I take on the knife point I dip the knife into the water. This keeps the metal from losing its temper! It also keeps the metal from overheating even slightly enough to cause burns. If the knife has any sort of sharp edge, it is recommended to wrap the knife with masking tape. If the sander catches the blade at ANY time, it will fling it down on the bench and bounce all over, becoming a dangerous uncontrolled flying weapon.

Hope this helps. If you don't have access to a workshop, PM me about doing this for you.
Kondini, now let me get this straight - YOU'RE complaining about how scary somebody ELSE'S avatar is? :)
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Apr 22, 2007 06:27PM)
Nipps you summed up the whole knife/sword making process up in a single paragraph. And that is exactly it.

You don't need an edge or a shiny finish for a good throwing knife, you need one with a good spring temper and a nice point. (no need to sharpen something you are going to throw, espically when you are going to destroy the edge from it hitting things anyways.)
http://www.throwzini.com/cs80-tk14.html
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Apr 23, 2007 09:02AM)
Nice... they're one letter away from being sued by Throwdini. Plus, they don't give an accurate steel series number. This company does put out nice stuff, I've bought from them years ago. This is the company than makes knives you can buy readily from any vagabond at a flea market. The throwing knives listed here are CNC cut from sheet, just like any knife in todays market. The powder coat is no added bonus, and actually retards the effect of relfected light, so it won't be a good thing for stage work. Plus, at $24.05 per knife it seems more geared to competition throwers.
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Apr 23, 2007 11:44AM)
Yeah the Cold Steel series does cater more to the guys that will beat the living snot out of their products, but you can just sand blast off the coating (it will take a while though, but you can do it.

Plus, they did step on a few toes with some of their new throwers unfortunatly, and they might be pulling them from the product line. (copies of the old tru-ballence knives)

http://www.coldsteel.com/throwers.html

not shiney, but wow it's some good stuff.
I stopped by at Dube today and picked up 4 of the unfinished knives. I like the way they feel better than the cold steel ones that arrived on Friday, though I haven't thrown them yet. Now let me get this striaght, there is no need to thin the sides nearest to the point, or the sides should be thinned? Basically they are the same thickness from top to bottom with no taper near the point.
Hmmm, I might have to pick some up.

I have been throwing knives for a few years now. And I collect knives as well.
Always on the look out for knives, whether they are build them your selfs or premade.
Plus it would give me a reason to get some more knive tools.
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Apr 27, 2007 07:19AM)
Addy, they don't need to look nice, just throw them.

The slight bevel near the tip mainly works for asthetic purpose, and it also depends on your target type. If your target is made of a softer material, then there shouldn't be a problem. Some say that it aids in penetration when throwing, but that all depends on how hard you throw.

If you do decide to do it, don't let the steel change colors while grinding, if that happens the blade is ruined. Your better off using a file and a lot of patience.
Thanks! I'll try them as is and if they stick, that's it.
What sort of material is best for the target? I guess wood would be best but what type? Is there a better material to use when learning?
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Apr 29, 2007 08:23AM)
It depends on the knives you are throwing.

I do knives and axes, so I set up a large tripod with a cross section of a tree on it.

most softwoods will be good for throwing, you can also make a nice throwing "wall" out of pine two by sixes and just change them out when they get too chewed up.

Also you can use (but it won't last for nothing) stacked layers of cardboard and a whole lotta tape, or sheets of foam insulation.
I got around to throwing the unfinished Dube' knives today. All I can say is what a difference from the Cold Steel. They seem to just coast right into the wood, where as the Cold Steel seem to just bounce off and crash with a deafining sound. The Dube knives are easier to throw. The points did, however bend quite a bit. Any advice on that? I ground one down on the ol' bench grinder, making sure of course not to make the metal too hot or discolor. (Thanks Nips and Facade)
Oh, I'm throwing into douglas fir.
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Apr 30, 2007 10:08PM)
Ehh, it should stick, out of curiousity though, how thick are the dube knives?

Also if you are just bending your tips, try to straighten it out with a hammer and an anvil (or a thick piece of steel)

I haven't had a problem with my CS knives, but then again I throw fairly hard.
The cold steel do stick, but the Dube ones are easier to deal with. You don't have to throw them hard at all. The CS need more force. They also feel better in the hand. The Dube ones look to be about 1/8 on an inch, but I'll have a more accurate measurement when I get home.
Don't have an anvil? Get a short length of railroad railing... works in a pinch. Don't use a carpenters hammer though, go get a small 2 or 3 pound sledge hammer called a "drilling" or "welding" hammer. Or, just give it up to an experienced smith.
How would one find an "experienced smith" in NYC?
I don't know about NYC, but there sure as heck is a good one out in the philly area.

Can't quite remember his name though ;)
Needledoc,
There are a few iron work places in Brooklyn and Queens. I'm sure in Manhattan too. Usually in the more industrial parts. I heard that Stephanie, the snake charmer at Coney is a 'smith'. Get in touch with her.
Or go to Philly.
I still don't get it, what's the buzz about Philly?
You know, I just realised that I forgotten to throw out a link to a bunch of guys that also throw knives online.

http://www.bladeforums.com

There is a sub forum for knife and axe throwing.

Also extra note to the wise, don't bring up Cold Steel, a lot of people like to bash on them because of their "Proof" videos.
How do you "throw knives online"???? :)

Sorry Stilt Boy couldn't resist it, it's the frame of mind I am in.

Thanks for the link.

What do you mean by "Proof videos"?
"Proof video" meaning videos that CS puts out to prove how amazing their knives are.

Brett.
Oh that makes sense .....

now I pretend that I thought that was what it was all along.

No honest it really was!

Do these videos "cut away" at strange times and the knives suddenly appear 4 inches into the board? That kind of thing? Are they amusing to watch?
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (May 11, 2007 06:30AM)
No, usuially they wind up slamming the knives through cardoors, cardboard, plywood and meat just to show how awesome they are.

No cutaways nothing, And they also have a tourniment coming up http://www.coldsteel.com/cschall07.html I want to do it this year, but it's a heck of a long drive for me.

You won't be dissapointed by CS.