(Close Window)
Topic: Tom Mullica
His smoke ring sight gag is pretty much the funniest thing I have seen in any magic act.

I noticed there's no thread on Mullica, so here we go. The entire act is pretty funny, has anyone ever taken on cigarette eating after him?
A friend of mine does the cigarette eating. It's a sight to behold but not before lunch.
I am still working on his cigarette eating routine. I can do it with 6 lit cigarettes now and I am still working my way up. his material is great. his smoke ring gag is something that I use in every show. it's hilarious!!!!
good to see that I am not the only one still defending cigarette magic;)

-Matt
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Apr 24, 2007 11:04AM)
Cigarette magic is becoming an endangered species! With so few public places allowing it, and the general bad association with smoking, few people are doing cigarette tricks anymore.
It is one reason that slowed Tom himself down.
Jeff Hobson has a cigarette eating magic in his "Jeff Hobson Live" DVD
It's hilarious!
Check it out
No. Tom is/was in a class all by himself. He quit magic and has morphed into Red Skelton...

Magic's loss.
Tom said he didn't mind tipping his act because he doubted anyone would ever do it as it's painful.
That's what he told me as well when I mailed him asking for some advice regarding the routine. anyway, there is not much to be said as it is just what it seems to be.

-Matt
Tom Mullica imo is one of the greatest comedy magicians ever. He uses a lot of old lines, but he does them 100x better than most.

His timing and skill is flawless.

I did see him drop a pen once though.

And the smoke ring gag is very funny! Thought he was going to go somewhere with the ring!

I bet he's laughing at everyone that tries to do his cigarette eating routine, if you know what I mean ;)

M:C
[quote]
On 2007-04-24 16:07, Justin Style wrote:
No. Tom is/was in a class all by himself. He quit magic and has morphed into Red Skelton...

Magic's loss.
[/quote]Indeed. But his Red Skelton show is terrific. If you're ever in Branson, run, do not walk, to his show. Or, you can buy a DVD of the show from Tom's website. (You can buy DVD's of the real Skelton while you're there.)
That's the difference mates between him and most of the comedy magicians perfomring nowadays. one small difference that I did not mention-vodka induced memory lacks...sorry...he IS funny! not to mention his sleight of hand abilities!
and yes, if I was in his place, I would laugh my never-performed lipo-suction off if anyone tried my cigarette eating routine. the man worked his inner-mouth parts of skin to accomplish that and finally performed it with flair!
but there are still blokes with a lot of time and devotion on their hands that put a lot of effort in the material and try to keep cigarette magic alive!
all the best to ya

-Matt

Oh, and another thing...my deepest appologies go out to those who perform gospel comedy. I really don't see how that exists but excuse my limiteed mind and shy understanding...just don't read please. for your own good
Anyone ever see Harold Russel do his smoking routine. He plays a drunk who keeps lighting cigarettes and putting them in his jacket, lit. His jacket finally goes up in smoke as he runs off stage.

I rivals Mullica, and it's one of the few things that do. I guessing Tom would agree.

Got to see Tom do his cigarettes at a close-up show in St. Louis at the Midwest Magic Jubillee years ago. I was in the front row and saw nothing.
Couldn't find any footage of Harold Russel but I'll keep at it!
thanks for the info

-Matt
Skelton was Mulica's mentor and helped to clean him up. Glad to see him carrying on with his friend's tradition.
What do you mean by "clean him up" ?

-Matt
He told him to stop with the off-color material, so he can be able to work anywhere in the world. So he gave him some of his good lines to use instead.
I see. thank you Trois for that...it sounded a little rehabish at first :P
I am sure that Skelton improved every aspect of Tom's performance in the years he was his mentor.

-Matt
There is a young guy over her that does the cigarette act very well. With Tom's permission too I believe. He's called Pete Firman. Sadly I don't think there is a video anywhere but he does it very well.

J
Congrats to the lad!!! I am still working on the routine and I can honestly say that it takes a lot of time, practice and literally pain ;)
if you stumble upon a video of him performing it be sure to let us know!

-Matt
Will do.... I have seen him do it live and he did it on TV once too. I know he doesn't particularly enjoy doing it and I think he may well have to stop anyway when the smoking ban takes effect in July.

J
That smoking ban is aweful. luckily I don't have to deal with that over here...not yet anyway,hehe.

-Matt
Matt, the smoking ban is a good thing IMO! However, there are drawbacks - more people in outdoor public places smoking instead. Hopefully it'll encourage a lot of people to quit.

'Barry and Stuart' a pair of UK magicians present an interesting routine based on smoking, with a few Cigarette moves with Mullica influences.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=neTBQzMq8d4

is this what yall were talking about? It is a good routine, that's for sure.

Gosh I Love YouTube.
Yup, that's it styck13!
takes a lot of work unfortunatly.
about the smoking ban, I really do not agree it is a good thing. for all the smokers out there I mean. I love smoking when in a pub enjoying my beer. ;) plus that I do strictly comedy bar magic and I use cigarettes in my acts.

-Matt
This is the routine I was talking about:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ET_MKohV0xU
That was great!
There is also at least one magician in Finland that does Mullicas cigarette eating act called Jori A Kopponen. He didn't do it as well as Mullica tegnically but he made it his own, so to speak and developed an complete character around it and it worked fine.