(Close Window)
Topic: A Couple Dice Videos...
Message: Posted by: walking_liberty (Apr 24, 2007 10:59PM)
Here's a couple dice videos I said I'd post. They're from a while back. I'll try to post a few new ones soon if anyone's interested. Including a holdout switch, using a holdout that was a collaboration between me and Doc.

-Here's my "fingertip switch." It's real quick and it's one I use all the time. I also have close to 20 variations of it.

http://download.yousendit.com/BD0C6908130E44AD



-Here's some control shots. I'm gonna film a longer video soon.

http://download.yousendit.com/5B5D3BE55A7BC388



And please don't post these on youtube.
Message: Posted by: TheTurk_NYC (Apr 25, 2007 12:07AM)
Those moves are awesome, thanks for posting.
Message: Posted by: Pavloter (Apr 25, 2007 03:27AM)
Man that's wicked switchs, and controls are really good as well. Can't say much, as I don't do dices myself, but thanks for posting.
Message: Posted by: Mr. Z (Apr 25, 2007 06:09AM)
Nice work. A few comments: Your "fingertip switch" is simply the classic palm switch, hardly yours. It's understandable though, as most magicians are in the dark on that one. You are right in that there are numerous variations on it, but it all goes back to the basic technique. The dropping motion is a common one, although I think you're exaggerating it a bit too much and bringing the hand up so high risks flashing from a multitude of angles.

The controlled shots are cool, but for demonstration's sake it might be better to simply control one combination over and over again. Don't take it personal, but as a viewer, for all we know you could've just been throwing them on the square and then recorded a voiceover. Obviously that's not the case, but you don't want to leave any doubt.

Again, nice work. You don't often see magicians fooling with dice work so it's always refreshing to see some for a change.
Message: Posted by: MagicKim (Apr 25, 2007 07:05AM)
I don't know much about dice eventhough I am actually on my way now to buy some ;). I really liked the videos. Great job!

Kim
Message: Posted by: tommy (Apr 25, 2007 08:20AM)
Looked cool. Thanks but like Kim I know little of dice.
Message: Posted by: M for Magic (Apr 25, 2007 09:48AM)
Nicely done!
Message: Posted by: Vandy Grift (Apr 25, 2007 10:18AM)
Cool video, nice controls. Thanks!
Message: Posted by: walking_liberty (Apr 25, 2007 02:05PM)
[quote]
On 2007-04-25 07:09, Mr. Z wrote:
Nice work. A few comments: Your "fingertip switch" is simply the classic palm switch, hardly yours. It's understandable though, as most magicians are in the dark on that one. You are right in that there are numerous variations on it, but it all goes back to the basic technique. The dropping motion is a common one, although I think you're exaggerating it a bit too much and bringing the hand up so high risks flashing from a multitude of angles.

The controlled shots are cool, but for demonstration's sake it might be better to simply control one combination over and over again. Don't take it personal, but as a viewer, for all we know you could've just been throwing them on the square and then recorded a voiceover. Obviously that's not the case, but you don't want to leave any doubt.

Again, nice work. You don't often see magicians fooling with dice work so it's always refreshing to see some for a change.
[/quote]


Mr. Z,

Thank you for you comments and compliments.

I'd like to clarify though, that I'm not a "magician." I'm very interesetd in magic and I enjoy collecting it, but I don't perform it. Even for friends and family.

I started doing the monte and shell game in miami when I was 17. I did it for 3 years straight. I'm now 24 and all of my money comes from dice and card games. It's not a lot, but it's enough.

As for the fingertip switch. That's just what I call it. I never claimed it to be original to me. Saying "here's my fingertip switch..." was like me saying "here's my bottom deal..." And the angles aren't as bad as they may seem. When my hand comes up my fingers close slightly. The only glimpse you could ever get is directly to the left and that's where my partner goes. If I'm out alone I use a different variation or a different switch.

And for the control shots I would assume that shooting the same comination over and over again would just have people saying that I was using loaded dice or blister pack dice or something. I'll just post a new video shooting 2 through 12.
Message: Posted by: walking_liberty (Apr 25, 2007 02:08PM)
Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate it.
Message: Posted by: KingStardog (Apr 25, 2007 05:43PM)
Looks good enough to collect some change. The pause on the load is kind of a gimme but practice reading before picking them and they will roll into place without a second thought. This is where learning a bit of magic will help out. You will pick up the "meaningless stall chatter" that gets people thinking and keeps their eyes off what is going on. The patter gives you time to work the magic and avoid the tells. Long BS stories work well. Remember when you shoot film like this you are under the gun and every little off spec can be picked apart forward and reverse.

The real world is forward motion and you have some nice moves. I tell everyone the same thing, don't play with bad equipment. There is no reason for it when you can work the same miracles with straight gear.

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Shoot some holdout vids and frame the unit for the wall. You know the greatest secret out there, and that's work to gain skill where the equipment is legit.
Message: Posted by: Pavloter (Apr 25, 2007 05:58PM)
[quote]
On 2007-04-25 18:43, KingStardog wrote:
Looks good enough to collect some change. The pause on the load is kind of a gimme but practice reading before picking them and they will roll into place without a second thought. This is where learning a bit of magic will help out. You will pick up the "meaningless stall chatter" that gets people thinking and keeps their eyes off what is going on. The patter gives you time to work the magic and avoid the tells. Long BS stories work well. Remember when you shoot film like this you are under the gun and every little off spec can be picked apart forward and reverse.

The real world is forward motion and you have some nice moves. I tell everyone the same thing, don't play with bad equipment. There is no reason for it when you can work the same miracles with straight gear.

Nice work. Thanks for sharing. Shoot some holdout vids and frame the unit for the wall. You know the greatest secret out there, and that's work to gain skill where the equipment is legit.


[/quote]Well I don't think he will be using for magic, well maybe he will, but it will be not his first use of it.
Message: Posted by: walking_liberty (Apr 25, 2007 08:17PM)
[quote]
On 2007-04-25 18:43, KingStardog wrote:
Remember when you shoot film like this you are under the gun and every little off spec can be picked apart forward and reverse.

[/quote]


I realize that, and I'm fine with it. The things that can be picked apart in videos aren't an issue in a live dice game with people counting their money, placing bets, and talking.

I appreciate all your comments King, thanks.
Message: Posted by: tommy (Apr 25, 2007 08:29PM)
They use a cup to throw the dice here in England when playing Backgammon but they play for high stakes. I think that game is wide open for you dice guys.
Message: Posted by: Expertmagician (Apr 25, 2007 09:03PM)
My favorate was the control shots...I saw Steve Forte do some whip shots a couple of months ago and he banked them off the backboard....his looked great !
Message: Posted by: walking_liberty (Apr 25, 2007 09:23PM)
Thanks Expert. Steve does has a nice whip shot.

When I shoot on a pool table I bank em off the sides. The shots look good hitting off one or two sides of a pool table. Really convincing.
Message: Posted by: walking_liberty (Apr 25, 2007 09:25PM)
[quote]
On 2007-04-25 21:29, tommy wrote:
They use a cup to throw the dice here in England when playing Backgammon but they play for high stakes. I think that game is wide open for you dice guys.
[/quote]


There's a lot to be done with a dice cup. "Dice Holdout Methods for Magicians" is a great book on using cups.
Message: Posted by: tommy (Apr 25, 2007 09:46PM)
Thank you kindly sir.
Message: Posted by: RevJohn (Apr 25, 2007 10:09PM)
I quite enjoyed Dice Holdout Methods. Great book. I also like Marlo's expose' at the end of Shoot the Works. Nice way to start to get informed!!

Thanks for posting these videos.

RevJohn
Message: Posted by: Expertmagician (Apr 26, 2007 08:17AM)
[quote]
On 2007-04-25 22:23, walking_liberty wrote:
Thanks Expert. Steve does has a nice whip shot.

When I shoot on a pool table I bank em off the sides. The shots look good hitting off one or two sides of a pool table. Really convincing.
[/quote]

Very cool ! ... I guess the shape of the sides of a pool table actually help because of the cushion shape.

I have not spent any time practicing controlled dice shots. But, it is a joy to watch an expert at work :)

Thanks for sharing !
Message: Posted by: mark1991 (Apr 26, 2007 11:32AM)
Hi there,

Nice videos! You are to be congratulated on your skills!

God bless!

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
Message: Posted by: DeadDeuce (Jul 27, 2007 04:35PM)
Walking_liberty I missed your posting it has expired, I wonder would you post it again thanks DEADDEUCE