(Close Window)
Topic: Between the lines?
Found this on magicbox web site:

They say

"Magicbox is please to anounce the release of a revolutionary new Mentalism routine. It has long been said that the strongest effects are those which happen in the hands of the spectator, what if the effect could take place in the spectators mind? “Between the Lines” combines some revolutionary thinking with a classic mentalism effect to create one of the most powerful routines
available to date!

Imagine handing a spectator a torn page from a random book, you then ask them to imagine a fictitious scene in their mind building it up piece by piece. The spectator is then instructed to read the page, which has been in their possession throughout. Imagine their reaction as it dawns on them that the printed page accurately describes the scene they had created in their mind moments earlier.

Best of all there are several extra subtleties hidden with in the text! Could this be genuine mind reading, could this be psychometry? To find out you will have to read “Between the Lines”."

Here's the link

http://www.magicbox.uk.com/shop.php/shop/magic-tricks/mentalism/pre-order-between-the-lines/p_820.html

Anyone comments?
Yup, one comment, Very nice decription!

Tony
Hi all.Ive had this pre ordered for 2 months now from the maker of beyond esp 2.Seen the video it looks amazing tho its been removed now.I really cant wait.

Jason
Hi guys,

I have been using the beta version of this for almost a year now and I can tell you its incredible. The method(s) is(are) just as amazing too.

In my opinion this is what modern mentalism is all about. Michael has come up with a rela world, innovative masterpiece that plays strong for the modern audience.

Ken
Interesting.
Can you perform this effect with any other page in a different language also?
No, however once you have the secret you could adapt it with some thought. Michael has put a lot of thought, time and effort in to this but you could certainly take heed of his research and apply it in another language.
Hmm.. sounds like c*** r***** with guided i******, p********* f***** and some Kentonism ;) - sounds good to me - more money to spend (buy buy buy!!!).... (this also reminds me of a certain effect (dark) from P. Subt II but with text)... but... buy buy buy! Because, you can't get enough of these cool things! Especially because everyt subt. adds to a performer's ability to hone these things into a dagger of the mind
Seriously, this is a clever, clever piece with originality coming out of its ears
Check out the website - it's now been released!!

As I pre-ordered it, hopefully it will arrive in the next couple of days.
Hey thanks Lifo

Been a memeber for years and your first post is to check out the website?

I will not look or oder just becouse of that.

J ack

H.O.A-X
Well, I went to purchase it, and was required to register an account with the on-line store. I'm tired of that. Hopefully it will be carried by other dealers, if not, oh well.
Ditto! I used to browse Magic Box'x site with ease some time ago - but I'll be b******** if I'm going to register and go through all that crap again. Sorry Magic Box - another potential customer goes down the road...

As Tony says, Ah well.
When I went to the website there was a message....."That product could not be found". So, it must also be an excellent vanish.
They just moved the page. If you go to the site, it is under mentalism now, insted of the "pre-order" section.
My goodness what a bunch of grouchy old men we have here.

I love Jim's comment "Been a member for years and your first post is to check out the website?
I will not look or oder just because of that. "

Cut off that nose to spite that face Jim!!

Ok, I ordered it. I'll be the lab rat. I thought it was an instant download but it's not, so it will be here in a few days.

This effect is by Michael Murray. ESP2 creator. Give the guy a chance.
James
I love the ESP2 cards and would be interested in this as well. James, let us know how it goes!

-Jerome.
Not an old man just tired of guys pushing stuff and not doing the right thing and not taking an add on the Café'.

All of my stuff has been advertised here even though it is limited number works.

I think it is the ethical thing to do.

As for a chance.
I am willing to take a look if you say it is good James.

-J ack

H.O.A-X
I'm just kiddin Jim.
I understand completely. The stuff piles up, 90% garbage.

I'll review this when it gets here.

The hope of spring eternal!

James
James

I'm just tired of giving all my personal information to a company that I want to make a one-time purchase from (an impulse buy at that). I don't need for them to have it, they don't need to have it, nor do I need the emails they bombard my box with.

Tony
I hear that!!! It's an info obsession!!! Hey wait, I'm info obsessed too.
Oh no!

James
I understand that some customers don't want to register on line, that's fine however if you still want the effect then you could always give us a call!

Even if you do register an account you can opt not to have e-mails sent to you!

Dr Spektor metioned the adrk effect in PS2 when I picked up a copy and read the brief on the effect I nearly had a heart attack! I thought someone had created the same idea as me!

Luckily BTL is very different in concept and as Banackeck commented "Opens many new doors" For those of you who would like this in another language there is no reason why you couldn'ttranslate the text and re create the page in a foregn language!

I have worked very hard on this idea for a few years and now feel that the original idea has evolved as much as possible. The concept behind the effect leaves open a door to which many other pages can be created with different text howver in order to do that a serious amount of time investment must be done!

Those of you who recieve this will know what I mean!

What makes this effect different is that the effect happens within the spectators mind, the mentalist is merely a spectator who acts as a guide. Should someone ask how you perform a pice of metalism then bring out BTL and offer them to try it for themselves!
As mentioned, one can never get enough of these - the concept sound great!
Is it to much to ask what sort of buts of info does the spec reveal?

I.e. names contained in the text, the scene depcted in the text (A summerrs day, children playing etc.)?

If you do not wish to publicly reveal what the info is, I quite understand as it may give the game away, so to speak.
[quote]
On 2007-05-04 09:47, celebrity wrote:
I understand that some customers don't want to register on line, that's fine however if you still want the effect then you could always give us a call!

[/quote]

Not if you live in Taiwan!! You're sleeping when I would call. Hey, there's an idea.
Anyway, I ordered it and registered too. Now I wait!!!

Are you Michael Murray? You guys in the ESP card DVD do really bad fake Scottish accents. I know you are really from Brooklyn.
James
Xiqual - I am the very man (Mr.Murray) not sure wether that's a good thing or a bad thing!

Psycho Magi - The spectator manages to pick up quite a bit of information, without going too indepth these can include.

Book Title in full or part
The time an event happened
The weather within the scene
Positions of people within the said scene
Specific images of happenings within the text
Lack of people present within the scene
The sex of a person within the story
A persons age
Artifacts or lack of that a person has with them
Words from the page
Colours and relationships with objects within the text
Lost items by a character in the story
A street name
Shapes mentioned within the text
A playing card mentioned within the text.
Page numbers

Hope this helps!

Michael
[quote]
On 2007-05-04 14:17, celebrity wrote:
Xiqual - I am the very man (Mr.Murray) not sure wether that's a good thing or a bad thing!

Psycho Magi - The spectator manages to pick up quite a bit of information, without going too indepth these can include.

Book Title in full or part
The time an event happened
The weather within the scene
Positions of people within the said scene
Specific images of happenings within the text
Lack of people present within the scene
The sex of a person within the story
A persons age
Artifacts or lack of that a person has with them
Words from the page
Colours and relationships with objects within the text
Lost items by a character in the story
A street name
Shapes mentioned within the text
A playing card mentioned within the text.
Page numbers

Hope this helps!

Michael
[/quote]

Mr. Murray!! It's a grewat thing. I love your cards and DVD.
Good job. I'm sure this is great too.
James
Michael - Well I'm sold! And thanks for the openess in your reply. Very refreshing. One last question, could one simply copy the text from the effect and have it printed on a page in a real book?
There is no reason why not! When I originally sent Banacheck the idea his initial thought was to use it in a booktest and force the page. He suggested we bring out a booktest together combining this idea with one of his.

Humbled that he thought highly of the idea I politley declined as I still feel that this is best off being the only page in play.

Although I love book tests and own several because of my personal working style I am unable to carry a book or number of books around with me. With BTL it simply fits into my wallet and I'm always ready to go!

For anyone interested in the background to this effect the inspiration came from watching Derren Brown perform an effect in his first tour. The effect saw a spectator chosen from the audience describe his suposed recently deceased friend who was projected on a photograph behind them.

What interested me most was the fact that the spectator seemed to be the one performing the work! I then set about re creating the effect and almost accidently stumbled across an idea whereby a spectator would imagine a scene in their mind and I could describe several key features in that (Mental scene).

Whilst the idea played quite well it came over that I was reading the spectators mind and distracted from my original goal. It was then that I decided to have the information written down and play on the fact that the spectator somehow managed to pick up on that information!

The information written down didn't make too much sense and so it hit me, if the information was on a book page contained within a story it would be more logical. A friend of mine after much pestering suggested I bring it out as a commercial item. I was a little dubious wether it would work well abroad and sent it off to Banacheck to look at and was delighted when I got a positive reply saying that it had worked well on his wife!

That was enough to convince me to proceed and two years down the line BTL it the finnished product!

Kind Regards Michael
Thanks again.
No problem at all!
Michael,
This could also play as a mindreading effect if you wanted it to?
sounds great, my order is in, just waiting confirmation.
James
Hi, I've just ordered mine, I'll let you know how I get on. Just wondering though - would it be possible for the spectator to pick up information on a picture or post card instead?
Thanks,
-James
James,

With a little bit of thought you could certainly adapt the principles to a postcard or anything else for that matter.
Xiqual - as mentioned before you could play this up as a mindreading effect, this is how I used to perform it ie propless as an impromtu piece!

James - once you understand how I have built the effect you can take the idea and modify it to suit your needs. You could change the page to a text message on your phone or have a postcard written or more. A picture could be used too but anything with text will give you more to play with.

With a little thought this can be adapted in so many ways. A close friend of mine Johnathan Pickard has already began work on another page as I'm sure many of those who pick this up will do themselves!

Kind Regards Michael
Just ordered mine, will post my thoughts when I've had a chance to play with it.
Hi All,

Yesterday afternoon I purchased 'Between the Lines' from Michael Murray; this morning I received the package at around 10am and was performing it at 3pm at a wedding.

Without exaggeration - this is probably the strongest commercial effect I have seen in a very, very long time. It's brilliant. I'm not going to say anymore. In my mind this effect ranks up there with things like 'reminisce'.

Without wishing to sound egotistical, I would appreciate it if people did not PM me asking for details. However I give this product a 100% recommendation. 10/10.

Simon Grant
I don't have this
But could this be combined with KK?
If I took out the only piece of paper in my wallet, along with a playing card, it would certainly backup the idea of the card being singular too
Just a thought that you could use KK as backup for the playing card bit, or remove any playing card idea from the text altogether and have KK as part of the same effect
[quote]
On 2007-05-05 11:08, celebrity wrote:
Xiqual - as mentioned before you could play this up as a mindreading effect, this is how I used to perform it ie propless as an impromtu piece!

James - once you understand how I have built the effect you can take the idea and modify it to suit your needs. You could change the page to a text message on your phone or have a postcard written or more. A picture could be used too but anything with text will give you more to play with.

With a little thought this can be adapted in so many ways. A close friend of mine Johnathan Pickard has already began work on another page as I'm sure many of those who pick this up will do themselves!

Kind Regards Michael
[/quote]

Oh Happy Day!!!!!
This is a fantastic effect, by far the best buy I have made over the past 2 years. Not only that, after reading the method I noticed its probably the best effect out there that could be used over the radio.

D.McGee
Many thanks for the kind words you have made my weekend!

Bevbevvybev - Although this could be combined with KK I would bear in mind that there is a card mentioned within the text (QH)! that's not to say you couldn't re-create the page without the card and then combine the two!

Kind Regards and keep the comments comming!
Michael
I'll get mine through tomorrow, and try to put a video of the whole performance on youtube.
Yes that was the idea
I just thought that pulling out the ONLY torn page from your wallet, and then perhaps using KK as a kicker or as part of the effect would be fun
[quote]
On 2007-05-06 06:26, James Houston wrote:
I'll get mine through tomorrow, and try to put a video of the whole performance on youtube.
[/quote]

James,
Respectfully, please don't put it on youtube. People will be able to reconstruct it.
Thank you for your thoughtfulness,
James
That was the problem I had with the video dem we put on the website! The full performance will give too much away to those who haven't purchased it yet! that's why I decided to limit the video to the reactions.

I'm sure James will know what I mean when he recieves the effect! It would be nice to have some reactions to the effect on you tube though!

Kind Regards Michael
Understood, I'll have a good grasp of what can and can't be done when I read it over.
Cheers
How does this compare with Enrique Enriquez work on this same concept with any book and any page found in Mind Reading and the Secret School?

-Patrick
I purchased this and hopefully will recieve it soon, looking forward to it.
Michael,
I am very interested in your routine. Check your inbox :)

I've worked in depth with something similar . . . mine is in the form of a letter, supposedley written by Aleister Crowley. It was inspired by Ravi Pazhur's "Raven's Book of Lies" from PS2. Basically, it is an extended version of the above routine and does not use the book.

Ravi and Enrique E. were both kind enough to consider my work, and I'd be happy to let you know what I'm doing. The core of the demonstration now entails handing a participant an envelope with a picture inside . . . they describe it perfectly before removing it themselves.

Anyhow, your routine seems like a great little bit. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Regards,
Jerome.
[quote]
On 2007-05-06 15:09, TT2 wrote:
The core of the demonstration now entails handing a participant an envelope with a picture inside . . . they describe it perfectly before removing it themselves.

[/quote]

this is one of the effects you are going to include in your and mr.cavalli Sumerian book ?? hopefully yes. thanks
Hey Jerome - sounds cool - I got a similar routine I'm working on as well sans book - it involves mummified remains instead of an envelope...
How do you think this would play to a larger audience, as opposed to the intimate one-on-one shown in the demo?
I will see this routine next week. I have spoken with Michael, and it sounds very good. I would think that you could perform this for audiences of any size, and perhaps even involve multiple people in the process, as I have done with my own routine.

How would it look to have 5 or 6 people touch the page and take turns reading it?
Throw in a "Hoy ploy" and have them take their seats!

This may be something that could demonstrate group mind control, psychometry, hypnosis or hallucinations of sorts.

I'm excited for the possibilities in presentation. I'll keep you posted!

-Jerome.
Michael, or anyone else in the know....Will this be released through any North American dealers in the near future?
Or better yet, handing out 5 or 6 pages/letters and doing the above routine with the Hoy idea. Sheesh, why that did not come to my mind in the first place is beyond me!

Duh.

-J.

P.S. Tearing the pages out of a non-descript book from different places, folding them up and handing them to different people could play really well. Could we get permission to reprint the page and script in a book (all pages duplicate) and then openly tear them out? Lulu could do it and it would be extremely clean and fair. A very new book test!!!
Jerome - look forward to taking a closer look at your effect and am humbled by your offer! I have no problems with anyone reprinting the page or putting it into a book form so long as they have purchased the original effect. If you were to create books in the style you mentioned for commercial purposes I'm sure we could come to an agreement!

Stan - at the moment this is only released through Magicbox, it is going to be an exclusive through them for now! Having said that we will be looking to distribute it through Murphys Magic Supplies in about 4-6 weeks time!

As mentioned earlier, anyone who doesn't want to sign up an account could purchase it either by phoning up or e-mailing there order where upon we can send you a money request via paypal!
What a pain in the ___ this has been. As has already been mentioned above, you have to register before you buy through the website. When I tried to register, the registration form wouldn't take my information. I tried again the following day, this time completing the fields that are not necessary for US mailing addresses. For example, the form wants to know the name of your "town" in addition to your "city," and it also wants to know your "county." At least in the USA, one's county is irrelevant for mailing purposes, as is "town" if that is understood as something distinct from city. I just put n/a for "town," and I entered the name of my county. Doing that I was able to complete the registration process.

That wasn't the end of problems, however. The next page says that you should see a picture of a lock at the bottom of the page in order to guarantee that the connection is secure. If you don't see the lock, you are to return to the previous page and connect through a secure server. Well, I didn't see the padlock. I returned to the previous page, but I had no idea how to connect through a secure server if they didn't provide it for me.

So I'm stuck. It may sound cheap but I don't want to call the UK on the phone at $2.06 per minute to order a $28 product -- God knows how long the process will take. I guess I'll have to send an email. But the whole thing has taken a lot of time. Hope others don't have the same frustrations I have had.
James, you ´re right the registration procedere was very strange, but you can ignore all the unimportant points. In the beginning I used (--) these fillers within these fields I don´t want to answer or that were unimportant. After I made my order I changed the deliver adress without any problems (so I deleted the (--) lines and wrote nothing).

With the padlock I also noticed but I took the full risk that somebody hacked my credit card number. At least if somebody will do, I know when it happened. ;-)

Some internet dealers should realy think about a good international order support and pay systems.
I got through the registration process (even though it seemed a bit out-dated)... but did not order because the site didn't take PAYPAL.

I will try other sources.

Chuck Hickok
I wil speak personaly to our web designer on the ordering side however if you send me an order via e-mail with the relevant info I will send you a money request on tuesday and can send the item out from there! Apologies for any inconvienience caused!

Michael
Michael - can you not just remove the ridiculous registration process and get it back to how it was. I used to love browsing that site and have it bookmarked as one of the best. I was a customer, although not a frequent one, but I'm not going through that pallaver!

Ta.

Roger
Is it just me or is this just an opportunity for people to moan again? Michael, if people want Between The Lines (which I assume is an exclusive to you) then they will register. If they cant be bothered to take a few moments to reguster to get it then they miss out...and less people will be performing it...HOORAH!

Ken (with no sleep for 3 days) Dyne
I too would like to know how this work compares to the work of Enrique Enriquez from the Mind Reading book. It sounds an amazing concept, and something that could possibly lead to a great finishing effect for me... *pulls thinking face*
Pete
[quote]
On 2007-05-06 11:41, Patrick Redford wrote:
How does this compare with Enrique Enriquez work on this same concept with any book and any page found in Mind Reading and the Secret School?

-Patrick
[/quote]

I just recieved this and it is very clever [into the Assasin it goes]
It's very different from Enrique's work in Mind reading. Actually, it's very different altogether.

The funny thing is, Michael has you do the test to yourself in the instructions.
With no outs or convincers I was about 80%. It was a bit eerie.

Well done Michael!!! I love the psychometry slant. This is a very good value for the money.
James
Michael is this on translateebol in onather lenguage??
And similarly is it a transferable effect or dependant on the text or could I edit it for my own purposes?
Pete
Xiqual - Many thanks for the kind words, I though it would be nice to include that into the instructions so that anyone who purchases it gets to try it out oun themselves!

Chuck - the money request is on its way to you!

Brehan/Celloboy - You may translate the text into any language and could modify the text should you wish!

I will be speaking to our web designer soon regarding the registration proceedure, however I can still offer two other methods of getting round this!

1) If you send me an e-mail to info@magicbox.uk.com with your full name and delivery addresse and a pasword of your choice I'll set up the account for you!

2) If you e-mail me at the same addrsse with your full addresse and your paypal addresse I'll send you a money request and once paid I can ship the order to you!

Hope this helps!

Kindest Regards Michael
Thank you Michael - I'll do exactly that.

Ken - that's what moaning does - sorts out the wheat from the chaff in the respect of magic dealers. As it happens, I have Magic Box in very, very high esteem. Typical of the Geordie attitude - do anything to help!
Roger, I just don't understand why people would prefer to spend time on hear moaning than registering on magic box's site. We all know that they're one of the most reputable dealers in the world. The time anyone spends on here complaining would be equal too or less than registering on the site, which would have the added bonus of receiving some goods.

I think people just like to moan. Of course more moaning will follow when people find out that the piece wont be instructions on how to read minds for real but there is a method to it...ahh the joy.

Just my thoughts of course.
[quote]
On 2007-05-08 08:45, brehan wrote:
Michael is this on translateebol in onather lenguage??

[/quote]

Don´t you read the other posts? This was exactly my question on the first page...
Ken - I understand what you are saying - but any website registration is a real pain in the you know what and I simply wont do it anymore and shop elsewhere. There is plain and simply no need for it! Your example of using the very time spent to moan in actual registration doesn't quite compute. The registration is the problem. Expressing an opinion about it isn't and (seemingly) gets results!

I suspect that not only Magic Box, who are undoubtedly one of the best suppliers with matching customer service, would get more customers if they removed the registration process. If I'm going "Aaaaaagh" whenever I am presented with it and moving on, I'm darn sure plenty of others are.

Just my thoughts of course. And by the way - I have the instructions on how to read minds for real! ;-)
Just got a chance to read over this. Very clever indeed. There's no dodgey gimmicks, and it all seems quite natural & pure. Organic Mentalism :)

There's a few things I'm thinking about changing in the text, in order to make it my own style - and then I can't wait to try it out.

Unfortunately I read the page before I read the instructions - which means that I couldn't try it out on myself. I highly recommend that you read the instructions first (makes sense I suppose)

Overall, I can see this playing very well indeed. Another note is that the page is full examinable. It reads just like a page from a novel would, it's not contrived or disjointed. If you print off a few of them, the spectator could even take the page home with them.

I'd say this is definitely Michael Murray's finest to date. For those of you who can't be bothered taking 2 mins to register with the website - I'm glad you won't be getting the effect. It's really not that hard to do.

Thanks Michael!
-James

PS - yes you could translate this into your own language.
Roger, I'll swap you the pdf... ;)
I would like to see this thing and if these guys get the web site worked out I will purchase it.

Let me know.

-Jim
[quote]
On 2007-05-08 09:44, celebrity wrote:

1) If you send me an e-mail to info@magicbox.uk.com with your full name and delivery addresse and a pasword of your choice I'll set up the account for you!

2) If you e-mail me at the same addrsse with your full addresse and your paypal addresse I'll send you a money request and once paid I can ship the order to you!

Hope this helps!

Kindest Regards Michael
[/quote]

Jim,
This is Michael's solution. I think you will like this. Send them an email.
James
[quote]
On 2007-05-09 01:29, Xiqual wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-05-08 09:44, celebrity wrote:

Hope this helps!

Kindest Regards Michael
[/quote]

Jim,
This is Michael's solution. I think you will like this. Send them an email.
James
[/quote]

I concur. Michael was 'on the case' within minutes of me emailing him.
I recieved this this morning and have had a good read through and this is definitely a fantastic effect/routine. As others have mentioned, you get the chance to try it for yourself (so don't go straight to the story) and without any of the outs, convincers and extras I was about 80% (like Xiqual). Imagine then if you were to use the convincers etc, it can only get better.
Erm
It took me less than a minute to register
It then took me straight to the payment/credit card page
I would say the whole thing took me 3 minutes to order
Don't see the problem
^^Agree ^^
^^Yep^^
Just got it this morning, there's no doubt about it, it's an excellent piece of work and a lot of effort went into putting it together.
The only drawback I can see if you can call it that is virtually every mentalist who has bought it will be demonstrating the same routine with the same outcome to each person they perform it to with no deviation, if it is not personalised in some way.

Franklin
I received mine today and am impressed with the thought that has gone into it. Franklin makes a very good point. How do you think this would play as a parlour or stage presentation - i.e. with you and the subject infront of say 20 - 30 people?

Brian
The Paranormalist & Myshadow - Many thanks for the comments! If you look at the underlying (NOt sure how it's spelt!) principle behind the effect you can create your own pages with different information/stories!

I am already under way with another page so that I can vary the effect from performance to performance!

As for a stage/parlour performance I have actually performed it on stage however do feel that it works best as an intimate piece!

Kind Regards Michael
Well done Bev. I did it in ten seconds in response to Michael's PayPal invoice.
There wasn't a problem to see!
Glad to help in any way I can! Rodger your extra money request is on its way!!!!!
Michael
Don't have this one but seem to me it could be easily done with some proper leading qustions as if giving just few choices to the person and then rephrasing the answers given if you need to. if the written text is slightly vague it should work 100%

something similar I saw performed live with a picture by one wellknown mentalist and recall another man here posted something similar in Inner thoughts
[i]Between the Lines[/i] sounds wonderful, Michael. It is certainly a piece I'll be ordering and having a look at in the near future.

I just have one quick question; does the 'story' page come included as an electronic file to be printed off or edited, or must it be completely retyped if changes are to be made?

Thank you.

Harry.
I would suggest dropping the Murphy deal and distributing via PDF to non-UK customers.

More profit and less degrading of product value.

In fact I will pay the asking price for the first PDF.

You can reach me at Jim@Magicjim.net

J ack
Jim - I may consider it and you will be the first to know should I go for a PDF release of the effect.

The pages are printed howevr those who have purchased the effect can e-mail me at info@magicbox.uk.com for a text document which may be eddited accordingly!

Kind Regards Michael
Having a second (different) page would be GREAT. That would be especially helpful if and when I use if for a high school assembly program where I am doing two shows back-to-back. Usually there are a few teachers and sometimes a small percentage of the students who end up watching both shows.
[quote]
On 2007-05-09 14:13, celebrity wrote:
Jim - I may consider it and you will be the first to know should I go for a PDF release of the effect.

The pages are printed howevr those who have purchased the effect can e-mail me at info@magicbox.uk.com for a text document which may be eddited accordingly!

Kind Regards Michael
[/quote]

absolutely love this effect.. and I order quite a bit from magicbox.. they always delievr fast and always let me know about problems with my orders (like ringing me to let me know the copy of Syzygy I ordered was damaged and they do a back order for a new copy..)

the effect itself is a killer.. I actually read the instructions first rather than the page, and got a 100% hit on the results on myself...

I can think of lots of uses of this.. and its worth buying just because of the excellent method, which I think will lend itself to many other effects!!!

I think I'll put that page into my stealth assassin.. along with the beyond ESP2 cards in my back pocket...

well done on an excellent effect... and how do I get that word doc again ?? :)
Read between the lines...........
If this can be adapted to a photograph, I can imagine a nice routine wherein someone selects a photo from a stack of photos that you've never seen, and you describe the contents... then you turn around and let them do it with a photo they select from a stack that you brought. See the works of Patrick Redford for the how-to...
Does sound great...... I think I'm hovering on the buy button.... Haven't done that since 1978...... Arghhhhhhh.
Archini,
PM'd you!

-Jerome.
[quote]
On 2007-05-09 19:19, archini wrote:
Does sound great...... I think I'm hovering on the buy button.... Haven't done that since 1978...... Arghhhhhhh.
[/quote]

listen to the voices in your head and buy... buy.. buy... ;)
Message: Posted by: FlippingWonderful (May 10, 2007 08:20AM)
Talk about suggestion techiques chaps... I think you've induced me and I now have to buy...
YOUR BACK IN THE ROOM!
Wow!!!!

So often I am disappointed by the latest "in" product - so much so that if everybody is raving about it I give it a miss. However, I have to say this sounded too good to pass on and I am glad I got hold of it - it really is something great - an effect that lives up to the description and which, presented properly, will leave little doubt in your abilities.

I really, really can't wait to try this out! I'm sure it will be a memorably spooky experience for any layaudience.

Cheers,

David.
Many of you are asking wether this routine can be extended or adapted! I tested a little idea I had which was born from BTL last night on Ken and I believe he was suitibly impressed! Admit it Ken I got you good!
Michael,

I wanted to kill you last night. I thought I knew my mentalism but you got me good and proper...right, back to learning balloon animals and spelling.

Ken
I do master-classes! Lol
I'm very pleased I got this! Well within the capabilities of anyone reading these pages with a modicum of interest.

AND - it is incredibly cheap for what you get. Not only is the effect brilliant, but the methodology contained within is exceptionally motivational to get one's mind thinking where to expand this idea.

Nice work Michael and thanks.

A message for John Archer: If you get this John, which you should - (in fact I'll buy it for you if you come to Hitchin!!) I'd love to see your ideas on how to adapt it your hillarious performing style!

Roger
...i think I just feinted
Well I ordered it after this thread hit the four page mark. I'm excited about this one based on all of the great things said by those whose opinions I trust!

I really love Mr. Murray's Beyond ESP2 cards, so I already respect the creator...by the way Michael, any relation to Andy? Your fair land got yourselves a tennis hero now!

DT3
Don - No relation but I apreciate the comparison!
Best Wishes Michael
Message: Posted by: FlippingWonderful (May 10, 2007 04:52PM)
I'll 2nd that Roger... I would love to see John's take on this (but I'll still let you buy it!).

I purchased today (over the phone as a lot quicker than registering)... I can't wait for the weekend now...
[quote]
On 2007-05-08 21:04, Jim-Callahan wrote:
I would like to see this thing and if these guys get the web site worked out I will purchase it.

Let me know.

-Jim

[/quote]

Jim - read back a bit and do what I did. Email Michael and he'll send you a PayPal 'invoice' - as simple as that.

I think this will suit your style down to the ground. Indeed, I would imagine you being the very person to take this a stage further.

Just a minor point - those who have got this effect - Anybody having an 'issue' with the print on the page?
[quote]
On 2007-05-10 13:24, Roger Kelly wrote:
I'm very pleased I got this! Well within the capabilities of anyone reading these pages with a modicum of interest.

AND - it is incredibly cheap for what you get. Not only is the effect brilliant, but the methodology contained within is exceptionally motivational to get one's mind thinking where to expand this idea.

Nice work Michael and thanks.

A message for John Archer: If you get this John, which you should - (in fact I'll buy it for you if you come to Hitchin!!) I'd love to see your ideas on how to adapt it your hillarious performing style!

Roger
[/quote]

Hi Roger,

I'm ready for Hitchin, say the word..... I've ordered this now, actually twice, yesterday my switch card wouldn't work? So had words with the bank and tried again today. It will be interesting to see if I can manage to 'comedy it up' or if the presentation will hamper it, looking forward to playing with it though.

J
John,

I have absolutly no doubt that you will take the method, pull it to bits and put it back together in a way that's going to make me cry again mate!

Catch up with you soon :)

Ken
[quote]
On 2007-05-09 18:41, Quinn wrote:
If this can be adapted to a photograph, I can imagine a nice routine wherein someone selects a photo from a stack of photos that you've never seen, and you describe the contents... then you turn around and let them do it with a photo they select from a stack that you brought. See the works of Patrick Redford for the how-to...
[/quote]

check this

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=197464&forum=82
Received this yesterday and have to second the above opinions. I ordered by phone and was very impressed with the speed of delivery (ordered in the afternoon, arrived the next morning).

The effect is excellent, as is the comprehensive booklet, with clearly a lot of thought going into both. It also provides great potential for adapting it to your own needs. Top stuff!
Just ordered this as a result of positive review pressure... No problems with the website that I saw.... took a coupla minutes...
Yeah V, I found the same to be true...even with registering it was pretty straightforward. Stung a bit when I realized I know my CC# by heart though. Is that a sign? Should I be expecting an intervention from friends and family members sometime soon?

DT3
Hi Guys

Mine arrived in the post this morning!

Very pleased with it indeed.

Yes it will take a bit of practice but its one of those gems that you will easily pick up, personalise & soon put your own unique slant onto.

If you are looking for something to carry around with you all the time then this really does fit the bill.

Already made some more pages up on my pc & I will go about making the pages look older & used.

Get this guys you wont regret it.

In my book this is 10/10
I love this also and it's only the second effect I have bought in the last three years that I will probably use. Despite how it's presented in the instuctions, I think I would prefer not to mention the page at all, but simply hand them an envelope and then get them to recreate the story...the opening of the envelope then becomes more of an event ie audinece curiously thinks: "what is in the envelope?...oh it's a page from a book, what could that mean?"...rather than them knowing from the start what is supoposed to take place. When the page is then read, the audience realises what has taken place.
Recieved mine this morning and although I havn't performed it yet I have the feeling that this is going to be a killer. This is a great simple effect that if performed well will be a stunning example of what 21st century mentalism should look like. I will however say that despite the simplicity of the effect it is not worth purchasing if you are not a confident and compentant performer. It is the performer and specator interaction which take this effect to higher levels.
I also second Mesaboogie's performance idea and is something I also imediatley thought of too, perhaps similiar in appearance to Derren Brown performance with the Blind Athlete.
One could also rework the page then into a personal letter from someone who is dead and incorporate that into a seance like presentation (I do that with some psycholigical and other forces already - so I am looking forward to see what this mysterious page contains to incorporate into my act :))....!!!!
I know this may come across as lame.. but I went to magicbox and added BTL to my cart... but there is not checkout or payment option..?

http://www.magicbox.uk.com/shop.php/shop/magic-tricks/mentalism/between-the-lines/p_856.html

Really... I looked the entire page over & over... what am I missing.. please?

- Nicodemus
You must view the basket, and if you have not created an account then you cannot purchase. It only takes 5 mins.
Trust me.. it was added to my basket.. but there is just no place to create an account or checkout...

I know,, this should be a no brainer but....please try the link above...

- Nicodemus
Nicodemus

It seemed to work fine for me, this is what I did -

I followed the link then clicked on 'ADD TO MY BASKET', that took me to a page displaying 'my basket' on that page there is button that says 'PROCEED TO CHECKOUT'
click on that and it takes to a page to either login or create an account, then you can buy it

hope that helps

Aidan
Or go to this link and create an account first..

http://www.magicbox.uk.com/index.php?act=logout&s=1
The envelope idea mesaboogie suggests was my initial thoughts also. Ive only had this a day or so but first impressions are very good. I really like Michaels thinking and he certainly doesn't disappoint here...congratulations on a great well thought S.A.D effect ;-)
The idea is very interesting - thanks for this effect.
Try to "transplant" it into german - as letter written with an old typewriter. A letter is more personal than a page of a book and easier to create and change.
Mesaboogie - I hadn't considered putting the page into the evelope but like the idea a lot and will put a note in with any other copies we send out saying such!

This will also help preserve the life of the pages too! Kind Regards Michael
May I suggest this free site with some great typewriter fonts for making your own letter etc..

http://simplythebest.net/fonts/typewriter_fonts.html
I ordered this on Friday at 2pm and it arrived at 10am the next day (Saturday.) Now that is CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

This is a very well produced package. The script is very intuitive, you can tell a lot of work has gone into refining this piece of work. Every eventuality is accounted for. The more familiar one becomes with the text the better one becomes at manipulating the spectators thoughts.

Congratulations Michael, this is something I will use.

Derek
I ordered Wednesday May 9 and as of now I haven't received it. I live in the USA.

magiclee
Magiclee, unless you paid for some special expediting, I wouldn't expect a package ordered from England on Wednesday to arrive at my house in the USA by Saturday. I also ordered mine on May 9, but I'm not getting concerned yet -- although I certainly am anxious to get it!
I'm not concerned, but I too am anxious.

magiclee
Don't worry they shouldn't take too long!

Kind Regards Michael
He's right! I got mine lightning fast. Other dealers should take note, I appreciate excellent service.

Thanks Michael, I am really enjoying this.

Sean
Got mine the day after it came out although I pre-ordered 2 months ago. But the wait is over and it was well worth it. Thanks Michael
After the good feed back from the topic, I picked this up last week and love it. worked on me about 70%. Got it within 24hrs as well, great service!!
Would anyone who has received theirs yet be kind enough to enlighten us on the type of spectator reactions they have experienced?

Thanks a bunch!

DT3
I'm hesitant to comment on reactions . . . I've been using this during readings for entertainment while "teaching" the sitter how to scry. They generate imagery from the page within the crystal. It has been going over very well.

-J.
Don, there is a demo on the dealers website, very, very good reactions from the two specs on it.
[quote]
On 2007-05-13 07:51, pegasus wrote:
May I suggest this free site with some great typewriter fonts for making your own letter etc..

http://simplythebest.net/fonts/typewriter_fonts.html
[/quote]

Thanks for the link Pegasus - nice fonts.
But I will write it with a real typewriter that you can also feel the letters. This is more realistic, because you can see the difference between a computer print and a real typwriter print.
[quote]
On 2007-05-13 23:09, TT2 wrote:
I'm hesitant to comment on reactions . . . I've been using this during readings for entertainment while "teaching" the sitter how to scry. They generate imagery from the page within the crystal. It has been going over very well.

-J.
[/quote]

HA!!! Brilliant Jerome!! Can I come over to your house to play?
Thanks for that,
James
I've ordered this now. WOW !!!
You WON'T be disappointed!

This is one of the best purchases I have made in some time. Outstanding!

Sean
Mine is currently being held hostage by the postal people and I can't collect it till tomorrow. :(
Pete
My opinions on Between The Lines:

1) There is some real solid thinking that went into this routine. Do follow the suggestions/advice the developer provides. That's where the serious thinking is.

2) The instructions were very complete and well produced.

3) The "torn page" would be more believable if were on paperback stock. It didn't feel right to me. Yet, I doubt many particpants would notice this. I would love to have the "rights"/ability to print out the page myself on newspaper stock.

4) Less is more ... the basic routine is all you need to perform upon when you are learning the routine. (And I would never use the P****** C*** variation).

5) While this routine is not that difficult to understand, it would take ME time to do well. It would take ME at least 10 performances to feel comfortable with the basics ... and about 30 performances to have it to the "Killer Level". It requires the ability to think on your feet as the routine progresses.

In one way, it's like a classic "lie detector" routine with several people. The real key in making a "lie detector" routine entertaining and believable is not determining who is not telling the truth, the real key is having the ability to come up with "convincing patter" based upon what the people do on stage during the routine. Over time, this type of routine becomes easier and easier.

6) This is a routine for the mentalist who performs regularly. I think it would be hard to perform the routine well if you only performed once a month.

Chuck Hickok

PS I purchased this routine ... I was not sent a free copy to review.
James,
Anytime! There's always a lot happening around here ;)

Chuck,
Very true words! I'm somewhere around 20-25 performances or so using BTL. A third of those have been in a setting with readings.

I rather enjoy how the routine unfolds. Jazz mentalism at its best!

I'm excited about the BTL forum for owners. I'm sure many great discussions and presentations will be had there.

Best,
Jerome.
Where is the BTL website for owners?

- entity
http://www.magicbox.uk.com/privateforums
Message: Posted by: FlippingWonderful (May 14, 2007 05:01PM)
There is already some great ideas and good discussion around the routine.
How does one acquire a username and password?

- entity
I got it.
BTL is a muxt for any worker!

Lior
(a worker)
Mine came in the mail today 5/14! I ordered it 5/7 and it made it's way from England to North Carolina in only 7 days.

Get it, it's good...
I was very impressed at how quickly this package arrived here in California. Very good customer service indeed! As for the effect, it definitely feels like a winner and I will have a lot of fun thinking about and performing this one in the months to come.
For those of you who have purchased the effect and haven't recieved the forum details send me a pm and once I have confimed that the purchase has been made I will give you the user name and password! Kind Regards Michael
Hey I thought I would chip in with an idea, even tho I'm sorry to say I don't have the product (student here!), but I'm getting some ideas off you guys to what the effect may be.

Idea, anyone bold enough to have the script put into a newspaper classifieds advert or another section where a large block of text could be placed? (Space may limited, so if ya have any ideas for sections, do list them)

Patter - something along the lines of that I knew I would meet someone today and I placed a classifieds ad that I would meet someone like you...

Dave
I also received mine very expediently. Two things amaze me about BTL...firstly, why has nobody gone this far with these principles to date (in terms of marketed effects)? Even more amazing though is the amount of work and inspiration Mr. Murray has infused into the routine. I am more than very satisfied with this purchase, and I can't wait to see more from this cutting edge creator!

DT3
Hmmm... mine has not arrived expediently... oh well. I'm off to San Diego for a week so I hope it will be waiting for me on my return! aside: I will be using the good ol Beyond ESP2 cards for some mental simulations while down there :)

Argh. I wanted to read this on the plane trip!!!!
Received mine in 3 days and I'm in Australia! Those looking for something genuinely progressive and inspiring would do well to pick this up. I agree with Chuck that it will take time to develop the full potential depending on how much experience you have doing this type of effect. Just like "The trick that cannot be explained", one of the best things about this is that there is no logical back track or any form of explanation for the audience.

Very impressive thinking from Michael Murray, looking forward to more!

Cheers,
Al
Apparenetly shipments to the USA take longer... still waiting on mine too.

- Nicodemus
I just thought I would add my name to the loooooooooong list of people saying how brilliant this is.

This is what close up menatalism should be and is a perfect example of how to structure a psychological routine.
Nicodemus

I'm right there with you my friend. Its only been a few weeks, but with everyone saying how good it is, it does seem longer.

Tony
Hang in there guys. I had mine sent to Florida and got it within 10 days.

The wait just makes it that much more enjoyable when you open it up!

Dt3
Mine arrived today. I'll be reading through it soon. :)
Just a word when you receive it "READ THE INSTRUCTIONS 1ST" don't look at the page and you can experience how strong the effect is,it ROCKS.There aren't many effects out there that you get to see from specs viewpoint.you will kick yourself if you don't.
Jason
Just performed this for a business motivation session. Went over an absolute treat! I sealed the page in an envelope with the good old "37" force also predicted and then played it as an easy & hard sensitivity test. Did the mathematical force (supposedly an easier test) the usual way and then added the "Between the Lines" test (harder, more advanced). The response was one of the best I have had for a brand new routine. Thank YOU Michael!!

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker - It makes it worth while releasing my effects just to hear the feedback from those who have used the effects in public! Thank you for sharing your experience !

Best wishes Michael
I recieved this last week and was very pleased with it. Even after the first time I performed it when the lady said it was a 'Woman sitting.......' only got about 50% but still seemed strong to her!!! since then it's been *** near 100% every time. Great stuff!!
Got home and found mine waiting - it is what I thought it would be - but done so excellently I am very happy indeed! I have my own pet version of ..um... items?... I use for another presentation (bizarre ones of course) - but this is really really good! I found I was a good "subject" that the page worked about 90% on me.

One thing about colour - aiming for blue-grey will increase the power quite a lot IMHO (if you have this effect, you know what I mean)... think of the previous point before and you'll see it really connects well... I tried it out a few times already and it hasn't missed yet if you word things properly.

Bravo! This and ESP2 makes Celebrity a Two/Two wondermaker!
[quote]
On 2007-05-15 05:02, celebrity wrote:
For those of you who have purchased the effect and haven't recieved the forum details send me a pm and once I have confimed that the purchase has been made I will give you the user name and password! Kind Regards Michael
[/quote]

There are some great ideas going on in the private forum for those who have purchased this effect. I would urge you to join this forum and participate in trading ideas and thoughts.

Derek
[quote]
On 2007-05-03 19:53, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Not an old man just tired of guys pushing stuff and not doing the right thing and not taking an add on the Café'.

All of my stuff has been advertised here even though it is limited number works.

I think it is the ethical thing to do.
[/quote]

I've begged SOMEBODY, ANYBODY to let me set up paid advertising on the Café, and I get absolutely NO responses of any kind...

Who do I have to **** to buy advertising here? Seriously, I would love to support the Café and legitimize my products, some of which are far superior to similar ones that get the recognition and earth SHATTERING credibility that goes with advertising here.
Message: Posted by: Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus (Aug 16, 2007 06:13PM)
So I'd thought I would add my impressions of this as I am a complete beginner and people might appreciate that point of view...

Overall, having only performed it for someone else once, as has been said before all is in the presentation. Personally, I felt that the topic of the page and the patter are a little too obvious and at least for me personally the method is pretty transparent in many ways. Having said that however, this is a perfect introduction to these techniques and a great way to get used to them...and what you are given is essentially one way of doing this - many of the problems I have with it could probably be changed by a change in the page text...but then I don't know whether it would be as effective!

So I would recommend this for beginners, but for anyone else I suggest you could probably put this together pretty easily yourself...

Oh, and how do I get access to the private forums for this?
[quote]
On 2007-08-16 19:13, Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus wrote:
So I'd thought I would add my impressions of this as I am a complete beginner and people might appreciate that point of view...

Overall, having only performed it for someone else once, as has been said before all is in the presentation. Personally, I felt that the topic of the page and the patter are a little too obvious and at least for me personally the method is pretty transparent in many ways. Having said that however, this is a perfect introduction to these techniques and a great way to get used to them...and what you are given is essentially one way of doing this - many of the problems I have with it could probably be changed by a change in the page text...but then I don't know whether it would be as effective!

So I would recommend this for beginners, but for anyone else I suggest you could probably put this together pretty easily yourself...

Oh, and how do I get access to the private forums for this?
[/quote]

I'm also looking for info on the private forum. Didn't receive it.

In other matters, I just received this and like others am very impressed. I took the advice given and tried it on myself. Close to 100 percent hits. Remarkable.

But how on earth do you present this? I don't mean the patter but rather what I can't find is the applause cue. The "Tah-Dah". In gambling sleights, the question is always asked "How do you get into it?" Here I'm asking how do you get out of it?
Yes, it is a little ridiculous the level of product pushing that goes on here. I suspect the reason why people promote products through the forums, but do not pay for a banner, is that banners really don't work very well - at least compared to the viral advertising that takes place on here.

Anyway, back on topic, I find it a litle strange that the demo is just reactions and someone said words to the effect of "Please do not put a performance on Youtube, it will allow people to deconstruct it"

I'm I the only person that finds this a bit odd? Is it really that transparent?
So long as you have purchased the original effect then please send me a pm with your details and I'll send you the forum details by return.

I also find it annoying when people put up posts advertising their new products without paying but cant see why it is relevant here?

As for the video demo people who have purchased the effect will understand! If I posted the full demo I believe SOME of it would be quite transparent to mentalists who have read and understood most of banachecks work and have also graspt the concepts laid out in wonder words.

Piracy in magic/mentalism is a big problem and unfortunatly the foundations of this effect are built up around the words you say as opposed to being a gimmick or prop. Thus in letting magicians/metalists listen to what I say I fear that SOME would copy the idea.

If you are worried about buying the effect because of this then I would suggest you hold off on buying it untill you have caught me at a convention to demo it for you or otherwise ask a friend who has purchased a copy for a demo?

If your not a fan of wonderwords or psychological subtleties then this probably wont be for you!

Kind Regards Michael
If someone, you or anyone else, were to demo it then surely I would catch on to what was transpiring and perhaps not buy it.

Silly.

There is a phrase often used in reference to cryptography which applies here: "security through obscurity". Essentially this means the security of your system is based on people not knowing how it works, rather than the strength of your key. It is flawed to assume that your system is secure because you don't reveal how the the plain text is transformed by the key. It won't take long before someone disassembles your implementation, and at that point it is useless.

Likewise with this product. It won't be long before enough people see others perform it. It obviously can be easily disassembled.

I guess those involved will sell enough copies during the MC hysteria phase that it won't matter by the time everyone has seen it and understood its mechanics.

I think the practises employed by dealer in general give them quite a bad name (just as compulsory registration forms do - that or the choice of a long winded process). Very few can be honest with what they're selling. They operate unlike any other business, with no recourse to refund (a lot of products would fall foul of advertising legislation, or are simply shoddy). But again, this is a different thread altogether.
Well it looks like this topic has gone sideways. Sigh. Hopefully the forum will provide presentation insights.
Message: Posted by: Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus (Aug 19, 2007 02:10PM)
Firstly I'd have to say that in regards to the dealer I had a great experience ordering from them...

Secondly, as someone who is literally just beginning in mentalism (think one month) - let's just say that the method I thought it was it was...so I was a little disappointed because of it. Also, as I have since tried it out casually on a couple of friends, both of them immediately saw what I was doing. One of them before they necessarily knew what the trick was going to be (granted she's a psychology graduate). I'll say it once more, from a complete beginner, this trick is 95% in how well (read cleverly and obtusely) you present it - you already know what it is doing, you know how to do it, but it would take a long time to put together the right stuff...so for such a small amount of money it's a great example to build upon.

For that I recommend it whole-heartedly...but personally I think it has been WAY over-hyped in this thread.
Again, more people who havent bought an effect, but are happy to critise the creator's wishes and not respect the effect...he's saying he doesn't want it on YouTube, cos people who've studied mentalism, have therefore studied certain books...certain books contain pertinent information that could suggest indirectly how the effect and results are achieved...there..simple...

it is an interesting effect, there's certainly things you can do that'll ramp up the hit rate too...but I prefer to design my own with the help of a certain book..

this effect though should be applauded for being different, and not just a rehash of something else...
Message: Posted by: Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus (Aug 19, 2007 02:14PM)
[quote]
it is an interesting effect, there's certainly things you can do that'll ramp up the hit rate too...but I prefer to design my own with the help of a certain book..

this effect though should be applauded for being different, and not just a rehash of something else...
[/quote]

Agreed, and agreed :)
Plese don't take these comments the wrong way,

I don't believe that anyone could watch a live perfomance of the effect and then understand the full workings of the effect as well as remember the entire text of the page. A video performance is very different.

The issue with a video performance is that people could watch the performance over and over again until they have de constructed enough to satisfy themselves that they could replicate the effect without knowing the finer details.

Unfortunatly with the modern introduction of youtube many in expierienced performers will watch a master of misdirection over and over untill they catch the modus operandi.

They will then attempt to replicate the effects with hiddeous results. I genuinely believe that everyone who has posted here has a valid point. In my own personal oppinion I feel that it is only fair to protect myself against the sort of piracy mentioned above.

Kind Regards Michael
Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus,

Personally, I don't think this effect should be performed alone. It needs to be performed along with a different effect that uses a completely different method, but appears similar in nature, theme, and/or presentation. This is done for misdirection of method, to further enhance the effect(s), and to present a routine instead of an effect.

While Between the Lines is self working, I am not so sure if it is an effect for a beginner. It takes quite a bit experience to sell. The more you perform this the more you will see how to perform it properly. It will get stronger reactions as you grow with it. You will begin to hide the method in your presentation, and play up certain detail as if the participant offered it up own their own; and that's just how they will remember it.

The effect really relies on what you say, and I'm not just referring to the method.

/paul.f
Good post Paul, I agree that this kind of effect takes a while to get the flow and subtleties worked out. Also I find it more powerful as a double effect, I always have this and the '37' force in the same envelope. Both outcomes embelish each other and it gives the impression that a lot of specific information is involved.

Between The Lines is certainly not conventional but is taking a valid concept in a great new direction.

Cheers,
Al
Can anyone that has this and "the sanctum 2 card" from outlaw effects please compare the two, it sounds similar.

Kieran
I sent you a pm.
Sanctum 2 is more a pocket effect using a pictorial card while Between the lines uses a page from a book and is possibly better suited for a parlour or larger audience setting. Between the lines is a firm favourite of mine and have been performing it for years.
Hmm I wonder if this could be combined with Ne Plus Ultra. If one spectator reads the page and then a second reveals the contents it is effectively teaching a spectator to perform the same feat that you just did with Ne Plus Ultra. Would probably need to have the page in a book for consistency rather than torn out although I'm sure I could work up a script to justify tearing out a page from a book for the spectator as mind reader.

Maybe have a spectator call out a page number and tear that page out, hand it to second spectator to read, then have third spec reveal the contents. I love Ne Plus Ultra, but to have spectators repeat the effect themselves would be great, both effects would sell each other.

Guess I will have to get this to see if it is possible.

Mark
That is very interesting - particularly because Between the Lines has for many years been my penultimate effect and leads into Ne Plus Ultra - the effect I have used as my closer. The effects do seem to compliment themselves well as it is general information which is being revealed. First the spectator sensing what is on a specific page and then with me revealing the contents of a freely chosen page within one of three books.

It would certainly be interesting to see if Ne Plus Ultra could be performed in a similar way to Between the Lines but, given the cost of the books, would be loathe to tear a page out.

Both effects are real gems and workers.

Neil
I was actually thinking the other way round with Ne Plus Ultra leading into BTL. As far as tearig a page out I was thinking along the lines of having a book full of BTL pages made up by lulu. My BTL won't be here until tomorrow so I'm not sure how viable this is but my thinking is to perform Ne Plus Ultra which is an awesome book test (and no way would I rip any pages out of those books). After performing the book test, I would then use BTL to teach/assist a sectator to do what I just did.

As far as the page, easy option is to have a book made up of all BTL pages then tear one out and hand it to spec A to read while you assist spec B to pick up what the spec is reading just as you did with Ne Plus Ultra. More challenging option is to create a full blown BTL gaffed book so that the spec can select a page at random exacty like Ne Plus Ultra.

My thinking is that whilst BTL IS not as direct as Ne Plus Ultra it could play stronger as a follow up because the spectator is mind reading (and as Richard Osterlind says, mind reading is attractive because people want to be able to do it themselves). In theory BTL shoud strengthen Ne Plus Ultra because if the spectator can do it then what you did MUST have been real.

Of course it could be played either way with you assisting a spec to read somebodies mind and then using Ne Plus Ultra to demonstrate what it looks like when the skill is fully developed. Personally though I like the idea of giving a demonstration and then playing to those people thinking "I wish I could do that".

Mark
I can see the way you're thinking Mark.
Certainly sounds logical to me.

Steve
Hmm one thing about ripping a page out of a book is it kind of points to the book being normal and innocent, if it were a special book there is no way you would rip it up. So making the book a classic like the Ne Plus Ultra books and offering a selection of 4 books for Ne Plus Ultra (very easy to handle if they selectt the Lulu book, then they can also selcet a book for you to use).

Mark
Haha just read my last post and with those typos I'd best get somebody else to make the lulu book :)

Mark
Just ordered mine from penguin. Took about two days. Nice effect.
It arrived this morning and I've just read through it and my idea is definitely viable but the page would have to be adapted to work with about half a page being read by the first spectator and of course the script would need to be heavily modified to suit. This would mean that there are going to be less hits for the second spectator to get but of course you still get the benefit of you picking up the story that the first spectator is reading and then getting the second spectator to add details to your impressions. I'm now leaning towards creating a full book test version, a Ne Between Ultra if you will. Hmm I think it may be time for me to have a little conversation with Michael, Harvey, and maybe even Jon Thompson, this could be an interesting long term project.

It also dawned on me that you could even bring the whole audience in on this, you ask the audience to join in and see if they can pick up any impressions too. As the first spectator reads you reveal a part that you are getting, then ask the second spectator to add a detail and if you get a miss from the spectator you can ask the audience if anyone got something different, if you get a hit from the audience you can ask for a show of hands for how many others got that.

Likewise if you get a hit from the spectator you can say "yes that's what I'm getting too" then ask the audience for a show of hands if they are also getting that detail. Between you, the second spectator, and the audience, the first spectators mind should be an open book (pun intended).

Bugger, now I'm wishing I kept this to myself lol.

Mark
Hi Mark,

BTL is a good effect and your harvesting approach is also a nice touch. I'd thought of making a Lulu book when I first saw this as wel.

I even suggested a corporate training presentation to Michael when he sent it to me, so there are a lot of possibilities with BTL.

We should talk.

Best,

Atlas
Hi Guys, thanks for the kind words. Mark, Atals you guys have some great thoughts there ;)

I'm easy if anyone wants to have some printed up do long as it's for their own personal use :) Those who have this will see the scope for variation and will probably prefer to customise it in the process .

Since this thread is so old I don't feel that I'm name dropping when I say that upon sending the original idea to Banachek he had the idea of forcing it from a book and having both yourself and another spectator reveal details of the contents. This does have huge potential though I personally prefer to work close up ;)

Best Wishes Michael ;)
As always, great stuff from Michael. I wish I had taken the advice and not read the page first.

J
Ha ha I did warn you John ;)
I bought this about a month and a half ago as an open box on Penguin. Very clever indeed. As I speak french, I let this sink a bit for a few weeks as I know I can't peform this to a french audience. So today I translated it into french, making two Word documents for the two pages. I've got a very close translation, keeping the meaning and the subtlilties embeded in the text. This gives me the advantages to print my own pages on whatever type of paper I want. I made it to fit exactly the same size (page and font size).

Also, if I find that some answers need a text change, that would take me 30 seconds to edit and print a new page on both sides.

I've tried it on my wife first and got almost 100% perfect score. She only missed one detail and that was because I incorectly brought it up in the first place (the screen clip portion).

So it is working, even in another language, proving how strong it is. The story is actually quite good as well. I surprised myself getting interested into the "intrigue" and would have like to read the whole book !!

The only thing that I found was the given script mostly cover the first page and not so much the second page. I would have liked to get a complete script covering it all. Suggestions are made in the instruction booklet but one has to think of how it will be scripted. So I will then get to work and develop my own script, which is not so bad afterall to achieve. It just means more work (and I have put quite some work into the translation for it to look genuine as it would be for a real book).

If you have the chance to get this, don't hesitate. I will get ready now to use it on some more people to perfect my performance level.

I would be glad to share the french version with Michael if he wants to include it in a future re-release.
Rooti4 I'm pleased to hear that you are enjoying the effect. As it happens I already have a French translation which I'm happy to send anyone with proof of purchase of this or my book (as it's also included in there).

I'm happy to send you my file for a comparison if you wish!

Thanks again for the kind words.

Best Wishes Michael ;)
That's great. I have PM'd you.
Just received this yesterday. Tried it on myself and got 90%, so just itching to try this out on others as I think this is sheer brilliance !. Great customer service by Michael as well
Could you provide the purchasing link again ?
Http://www.mindfx.co.uk/collections/all

Best Wishes Michael ;)
I have been performing mentalism for a long time and have tried and seen a great many effects but Between the Lines is without doubt one of the best effects I have.

I will be forever grateful to Michael for devising such a masterpiece.
What is the EXPANDED EDITION? or has it always been an expanded edition?
Hi John, there were some additional thoughts that were included in my "A Piece of My Mind" Book that are now included in the booklet ;)

Best Wishes Michael
[quote]On Sep 2, 2016, celebrity wrote:
Hi John, there were some additional thoughts that were included in my "A Piece of My Mind" Book that are now included in the booklet ;)

Best Wishes Michael [/quote]

Oh. Good enough. Thanks.
I'd like to purchase this, however I'm a little apprehensive as others have contributed to this thread saying that a certain level of experience is needed. At this very moment, I would presume that I don't have that experience (although I'm getting there 😉) . Contradicting that, others have claimed it hit 90% when they did it on themselves.. So do you reckon someone with limited experience will still get some use in a relatively short space of time, and can then improve from there? Or Should I avoid for a while until I have some solid experience?

I realise this is a rather nonsensical question, I mean I probably will end up buying this anyway in the long run. But some insight would help :)
I think it's a great effect and absolutely something you can polish with time and practise around the presentation and structure. All of Michaels work is solid. Depending on your budget, I would consider getting 'A Piece of My Mind' which contains this effect and many others. Also some great insights to the thought process and presentation of mentalism as a whole.
Yes! Certainly "strongly" consider getting A Piece of my Mind!