(Close Window)
Topic: No Camera Tricks (3 DVD Set) by Richard Osterlind
Hi
I want to buy this Dvd set, it seems really good.
Anyone can give me an opinion of this Dvds?
I saw it on Madhatter ( [url=http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/product_info.php?products_id=4179&osCsid=a204e85ea44a60496f011df046d86e61]here [/url] ) , I think is the lowest price!

Thanks a lot, Davide

(here the effects of the Dvds)

DISC 1 - SHOW ONE

ZODIAC REVOLUTION - Bob Farmer's classic zodiac sign revelation done in a new way that will startle you in its directness. Richard guesses the zodiac signs of six audience members using nothing but a pad and pencil!

SWAMI BIRTHDAY/STENO ESP - Richard correctly guesses a person's exact birthday and follows that by predicting the random thoughts of three audience members. In this second demonstration, no forcing is involved and all three choices are totally free!

LIQUID METAL - Richard continues his metal bending legacy with five (yes . . . five!) more demonstrations of spoon bending. In one, a spoon actually visibly bends in the spectator's hand!

DIGITAL FEEDBACK EXTRAORDINAIRE - A digital calculator effect that duplicates the gimmicked versions using a legitimate calculator right out of the package in a drug store! You can throw away your forcing calculators as this does the same thing!

PEGASUS PAGE - Richard considers this to be one of the greatest effects in magic! With the permission of Art Emerson, the original Pegasus Page is presented to a stunned group of spectators. A selected page vanishes from a book being held by one person and reappears between two pieces of cardboard held by another spectator!

DISC 2 - SHOW TWO

RICHARDWAVE - Brainwave has always been considered one of magic's best effects. Here is Richard's version where any card named is the only red-backed card in a blue deck. To top it off, there's a "kicker" that adds another 100% to the effect - the deck is given away at the end! It is totally ordinary!

RUBIK'S CUBE - You won't believe your eyes as you watch Richard solve a legitimate Rubik's Cube - while totally blindfolded!

CLEARLY MIND READING - Another one of Richard's fabulous ideas for doing a complete thought reading act! This is a "new" idea that Richard published over 20 years ago and is basically unknown!

THE POKER DEAL - Watch Richard use his Breakthrough Card System to perform a poker demonstration that looks like it came out of the movie The Sting!

SEAFIRE SEQUENCE - For the first time, Richard presents his famous Seafire Sequence book test on video. Now you can see this classic effect performed with all the little nuances! There are over six separate climaxes!

DISC 3 - SHOW THREE

DRACULA/ERRATA BOOKTEST - The Dracula book test by Alexander Black is fully explained and combined with Richard's now famous Errata ending. See how incredible this combination of effects is!

20 CARD TEST - This long-forgotten effect from The Jinx made Al Koran famous. Twenty people select cards and Richard finds them all while completely blindfolded! It's an anytime, any deck miracle!

THE ORIGINAL TCB ROUTINE - Richard performs a classic piece of mentalism that brings down the house! Seven people select objects from a transparent bag and everything is predicted! You will understand why Richard loves the classics!

VOODOO - This eerie and forgotten piece of magic is performed at midnight on the back deck of the L&L studios in a chilling demonstration different than anything you have seen before!

THE ACID TEST - Not for the weak of heart! Richard performs his classic Acid Test where, while totally blindfolded, he drinks the one glass of milk from among four others filled with Liquid Drano! See how Richard builds the suspense and shows how this type of "death-defying" mystery should look!
For just a few bucks more buy it directly from Richard ,,,otherwise you won't get the booklet and THE BONUS DISK! (ahem..ahem...)

Bryn
If it's from Osterlind I am sure it's good.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (May 5, 2007 08:59PM)
A bonus disc?
The bonus disk contains Richard's hypnosis show. But it's performance only :)
I just thought I should correct the misinformation that Phillys put up.

The bonus disc contains 4 mentalism effects, performed and explained and Richard's 40 minute comedy hypnosis show, performance only.

Here is the official line on the bonus disc. It is available through Richard's website along with a manuscript, or you get the disc alone if purchased through L&L's website.

An incredibly funny and amazing Hypnotism Show plus 4 powerful mentalism routines
performed and fully explained!

HYPNOSIS SHOW - Watch Richard Osterlind as he performs a complete hypnosis show right in the L&L studios! You will roll with laughter as Richard shows how a classic hypnotism show should look. Although no explanation section is given, serious students will learn from watching a lifetime of experience at work. You will see all the little nuances starting with the warm-up, to the induction process and then into some great routines right out of the works of Ormond McGill. All along, you will see how Richard is his totally tasteful self and the consummate performer! This is the way a hypnotism show should look and it's also one of the funniest magic DVDs you will ever see! (Performance only.)

DOUBLE DOWN - With his permission, Bryn Reynolds's Double Down is presented to a group in an informal gathering at the dining room table. See how direct and entertaining this new miracle of mentalism is! (Performance and explanation.)

FLASHY READ - A new update on Richard's classic Bic Lighter Switch is fully performed. You will see the incredible reaction the routine gets and learn the exact handling of this perfect switch! (Performance and explanation.)

QUADRUPLITEAR - Here is an idea from the files of Al Mann updated into a complete routine. Richard discussed this variation with Al many years ago and now shows just how it is a complete routine. In addition, you will see the Dunninger Pad in action! This alone is a complete course in mentalism. (Performance and explanation.)

INCREDIBLE MIND READING - If you thought you knew all the billet reading methods, think again! Here Richard performs a forgotten idea that was never really explored. You will see him create an effect that transcends many of the incredibly high-priced billet moves now available with an idea that works under even tighter conditions! You will be amazed!
(Performance and explanation.)
[quote]
On 2007-05-05 22:48, Matt Bartz wrote:
I just thought I should correct the misinformation that Phillys put up.

[/quote]

I stand corrected. Thanks!
I just got my copies of "No Camera Tricks" and have only watched a little. But the first three routines on the first disk are absolutely incredible. Commercial Mentalism that will fry your audience done with minimal props. (A Steno Pad and a grease pencil is all that are used as far as the audience knows. You do use a standard, inexpensive mentalism gimmick which is small enough to fit in your shirt pocket.) I recommend these very highly.

Dennis Loomis
[quote]
On 2007-05-05 19:02, mindhunter wrote:
For just a few bucks more buy it directly from Richard ,,,otherwise you won't get the booklet and THE BONUS DISK! (ahem..ahem...)

Bryn
[/quote]

This isn't exactly true. If you purchase from L & L Publishing, you get the bonus disk!
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (May 16, 2007 11:48PM)
Yes, you can get the bonus disc at L&L - but I would still opt to order from Richard, as it gives him a little bit more from the sales.
[quote]
On 2007-05-16 06:01, magicbern wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-05-05 19:02, mindhunter wrote:

Bryn
[/quote]

This isn't exactly true. If you purchase from L & L Publishing, you get the bonus disk!
[/quote]

magicbern: I, too, stand corrected....my understanding was that it was only going to be available directly from Richard but I am glad L&L is offering it now also!
(although I do agree with andy, above....)

thanks,
Bryn
I think L&L should buy the booklets and send them to everyone who bought the set from them. If I knew I was missing out on something I would of gotten them from Richard in the first place.

John
I bought mine from Richard and I got ALL the freebies. Although I live in the UK I feel the extra postage and customs tax makes it worth it. It's still cheaper than buying all the elements locally.

I must admit to feeling rather smug.
Superior Magic - Can you tell me what the customs tax is for these DVD's coming into the UK ???? Thanks
Yep, it was £8
Thanks for info will put a orderin today
Ok, it seems that no one has wrote a review I tought of writing one.

DISC 1 - SHOW ONE

ZODIAC REVOLUTION ¡V 6 people think about their zodiac signs and with some questions and statements performer is avaible to name em all althought the odds of getting all six right are allmost 1 to 3million. Very nice idea of doing this to more than 1 person to make the method way more hidden. Also the method Richard uses is more sophisticated than usual methods. Sadly non english users have to make quite a lot of changes and work to make this work.

SWAMI BIRTHDAY/STENO ESP - Richard correctly guesses a person's exact birthday and follows that by predicting the random thoughts of three audience members. In this second demonstration, no forcing is involved and all three choices are totally free!

Especially worth noting are the tips on making you have to write as little with swami as possible and as fast as possible. However I thought the second part of the effect was little confusing.

LIQUID METAL ¡V More absolutely fantastic methods of bending silverware. Very nice visual methods.

DIGITAL FEEDBACK EXTRAORDINAIRE - A digital calculator effect that duplicates the gimmicked versions using a legitimate calculator right out of the package in a drug store! Not my cup of tea really. I thought this was rather boring but someone might like this.

PEGASUS PAGE - A selected page vanishes from a book being held by one person and reappears between two pieces of cardboard held by another spectator! The mentalist doesn't touch the book at all and still the page vanishes and spectator can even rather safely examine the book. This effect would be absolutely a stunner and in my opinion worth even the whole set maybe! I like this a lot.

There is also some very nice live footage shot but not explained from some restaurant. Especially Richards performance of center tear made me think twice my thinking about it. I usually have discarted it as way too obious for laymen to think that you just read the note at some point, but with cold reading he tells out so much information that this might actually work. The best thing however in all of these tapes is here in my opinion and sadly it isn't teached. Richard does very remarkable marked coin bend at the restaurant and as mentioned, it isn't teached. I watched it just once so it might be simple to figure out after few times, but at least on first time it looked very very clean.

DISC 2 - SHOW TWO

RICHARDWAVE ¡V Mentalist shows a deck of cards and tells its in new deck order but he made to alternations to it. First he removed the joker and second he isn't telling yet... Spectator names a card and the deck is shown to be blue backed. The second alternation is revelead to be the fact that in advance the mentalist had replaced the spectator card to be the only red backed in the deck. Also the mentalist retrievs the named, orginal blue backed named card from his wallet and gives the whole deck to spectator as souvenir. Very very nice Brainwave type effect with normal deck basically. I am sure I try thisone out.

RUBIK'S CUBE - Watch Richard solve a legitimate Rubik's Cube while ¡§blindfolded!¡¨ Well... Interesting idea but for magicians stand point I think this might be rather obious, but laymen think this differently. Also takes way too much work if you allready aren't able to solve really shuffled rubiks cube in my opinion.

CLEARLY MIND READING ¡V Basically question and answer routine... I have to admit that I havent liked em before and I don't like em now either. I just don't like the fact that something has to be written down so openly. It doesn't take rocket scientist to figure out that performer is just somehow reading the notes.

THE POKER DEAL ¡V Pretty much normal poker deal in my opinion and sadly this isn't even Hold em type of deal but you could make the changes yourself rather easily. Still this felt like filler material.

SEAFIRE SEQUENCE ¡V Booktest on stereoids ƒº There is many effects and climaxes in one book test routine. Spectator is given and envelope and then basically 1 of around 15-20 books is chosen. Also some ¡§random¡¨ pieces of paper are chosen from clear plastic bag. HOWEVER what makes this so ingeninous is that at many parts spectators can check the note they received and switch it to other one if they are not happy with it discarting the option of an force in their mind. Papers tell two pages of the books. Now the fun really starts... First the mentalist is able to tell the first few lines of the pages. Then spectator is allowed to move his finger to around the center of the page and consentrate on word there and mentalist also is able to tell the word from middle of the page. This is done on both pages at different parts of the books. The there is small extra effect that really works only for Richard and finally in the envelope is the dustjacked of the chosen book.

This routine is also a total killer! Like 10minutes or so entertaining stuff with pretty much just one clear plastic bag ;) don't be put out by the idea of this bag. This routine is designed really clever way and it doesn't seem possible to laymen that the bag could be used in forcing anything.

In a way I liked 2nd tape little better than the first one. But so far the first 2 tapes have allready had 2 absolutely killer effects, the pegasus page and seafire sequence. Worth many times more than this whole serie in my opinion. Then to the 3rd tape.

DISC 3 - SHOW THREE

DRACULA/ERRATA BOOKTEST ¡V Very nice booktest where spectator shouts out the pages used and it does seem to get around the idea of possibility that forcing was possible. I have seen quite many booktest and this seemed to be one of the most clean I have encountered. Sadly this requires, as name hints... Marketed item. This is explained however if you want to spend some heavy time with microsoft word and make some alternations to some book of yours.

20 CARD TEST ¡V 20 cards are selected and replaced and shuffled in the deck. The deck is replaced into pocked and while blindfolded the mentalists takes out all 20 cards in mixed order telling who the card goes to. big effect from very small work. I just didn't really get what blindfold really added to this effect.

THE ORIGINAL TCB ROUTINE ¡V Multiple prediction routine using clear force bag. All sorts of things are chosen from same bag from silks to names and to coins. In the end all are seen to be predicted in the envelope in full view. Again shows that clear force bags can be rather deceptive when used wisely.

VOODOO ¡V Rather different routine... Its hard to even descrive... I liked this a lot, but requires special place to perform so I doubt many people will ever use this.

THE ACID TEST ¡V Basic russian roulette type routine where performer drinks a glass of milk while blindfolded out of 5 glasses where 4 of the classes contain some sort of dangerous substance. The good part about this version is that it is absolutely safe. However for magicians this method is way too obious but again, its the laymen who pay most of our rents and living and using blindfold means totally different thing to em that it means to magicians.

Iliked 3rd volume very very much. It would have been the best in the serie in my opinion if the booktest would have been not marketed item. It isn't even possible to buy it because english is not my native language.

As a whole my experience with this set was very positive. It doesn't really get to the level of the first mind mysteries set, but I feel this is better than the Mind mysteries 5-7 or easy to master mental miracles.

Also considering the setting, trying to imidate tv show, most of the stuff teached here is way too slow phased I think. And if you think you will get something that is seen on Angel, Blaine and such tv specials you will be disapointed. However if you will look for workable mentalism and you don't have anything against using bold methods what will work for laymen but aren't really a magician foolers, then you are in for a treat. Especially the pegasus page and seafire sequence make this set worth what it is... Only if that darn coin bend was explained as well... ļ

J-M
[quote]
On 2007-05-19 15:33, King14 wrote:
Superior Magic - Can you tell me what the customs tax is for these DVD's coming into the UK ???? Thanks
[/quote]

Getting stung for customs tax/import duty isn't a given.

I ordered the DVDs from Richard and Jim direct and did not have any additional fees to pay.
[quote]
On 2007-05-18 14:11, MagicDog wrote:
I think L&L should buy the booklets and send them to everyone who bought the set from them. If I knew I was missing out on something I would of gotten them from Richard in the first place.

John
[/quote]

Yes; since I have my DOUBLE-DOWN routine on the Bonus DVD I was so excited about that I forgot to even mention the ZODIAC Revolution booklet one gets from ordering directly from Richard.

I posted my thoughts on the routine and the booklet in another thread.
To sum it up it expands greatly on what is shown on the DVD and is pure gold for someone that wants to learn the real work on this type of routine.

Get the whole package from Richard for just a couple bucks more; you won't regret it!

Bryn
Kort, I enjoyed your review though, as you might suspect, there are a few points where you and I will disagree. Even a few places where we see life a little differently. (Especially in terms of audience management.) Frankly, I see a whole lot more in these videos than you do. Tell you what: when I get my review finished (Scrapped it all, and started over again today.) you can tell me whether I'M off-base or not.

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (May 24, 2007 02:41AM)
There are several used ones already out there for sale. I wonder why?
Probably people just made a copy for theirselves and selling the original ones.
Doesn't that mean that they have no intention of performing them? It's unethical to perform his routines without his DVD...Right?
I think so and becouse of that I have devised a way to put an end to that kind of low life BS with my next DVD.

J ack

H.o.A-X
Great Jim.

I would suggest that performers who would like to support the Art and creator's... only purchase DVD's that are still sealed in their cellophane.

This set especially...was a great value to begin with...so why would a serious and ethical performer purchase a second hand set?...that MAY have been copied[by the owner] and resold.
Just to save a few bucks?

So you can get a new set for $100,and a second hand set for $80.If that $20 bucks is that important..I feel sorry for you.
When you see a set come up for sale ask if it is still sealed.[There is a set up right now where the owner say's he got one as gift...fine...it should be sealed then]

Do you believe in Karma?

Rich
Amen!
These DVDs are as awesome as all of Richard's other work. He's just unbelievable, how much value he puts onto each video...

Really, for most if you own his MM 7 volume set, this (and Tarbell) you can stop buying other stuff. You won't get enough time in your life to perform it all.
Hmm, the latest DVD set was entertaining to watch, mostly for the premise, and for watching Richard in action again (i love watching performers do their stuff well!). I wasn't overwhelmed by the effects, even though they were generally sound and stronger than a lot of material out there already.

I guess my main source of discontent (if you can even call it that) was the outstanding quality of the Mind Mysteries series, in particular Vol 1. The multiple levels of subtlety and timing and precision that Richard exhibited in the items from his main show are truly that of a master who has honed his creations to perfection. I savoured learning all these, and applying them to what I do. The effects in this series just didn't have the same depth of performing experience that I was hoping for, somewhat similar to that of the ETMMM series - good quality stuff, but slightly rough around the edges still.

While the effects in No Camera Tricks are quite clever and definitely performable, some don't quite live up to the tag of TV magic. Maybe we've been spoilt by the genius of derren brown and creative editing of criss angel, but effects like stenoESP, while possibly playing big in a stand-up or perhaps even impromptu situation, kinda came across convoluted and 'fishy' during the demonstration. Clearly Mindreading is also clearly inferior to Osterlind's original ThoughtScan, because of the suspicious holding of the envelopes while doing the readings: the Invisible Persuader Principle (to quote another Richard, Mr Busch) that Osterlind uses is not strong enough to allay the suspicions caused by holding the envelopes so close to a clear clipboard (hope this is not too much exposure!). I was also slightly miffed that several of the effects shown and taught had to be purchased separately - it's just that I'm a bit of a puritan, and would like the purchase of my DVD to enable me to perform most of the effects within using the stuff I've already got at home. Of course, it IS clearly stated that these are marketed effects, so I went in with my eyes open. I also never really liked What's My Sign, and was a bit disappointed that the method was not better hidden with Osterlind's updated subtlety. Possibly I'm just thinking like a magician, and it somehow spews into my performances as well - I find it hard to sell the effect cos I don't believe in it.

That being said, this is not a bad offering from one of the most generous, ingenious and affable minds in our field today. Pegasus Page should not have been released on DVD, hopefully no one will take the little trouble to make up the gimmick so that those who perform it can continue to do so in exclusivity. Wonderful new methods for destroying cutlery are explained. Digital Feedback with a store-bought calculator was awesome to watch, and I love his presentational touch that takes it above a simple mathematical prediction trick (it's not possible with every calculator under the sun, but it's reasonably accessible enough for it to appear impromptu when the chance arises). And I loved watching the short clips of him performing to live audiences outside L&L, pure gold. The hypnosis DVD IMHO was also worth the price of admission.

Bottom Line: This is a must for Osterlind fans, and for those who want to see a good quality, recorded stage hypnosis show. Unfortunately, for those who have not seen Osterlind in action before, it'll probably be better to start with the Mind Mysteries series. Vol 1 is packed with good stuff, and tips hard-earned from years of performing for real people. Get the companion ebooks too if you can afford them.
Again, though, ISawThat, as MANY have pointed out in reviews of countless books, notes, and DVDs (mediums where more than one effect is explained) if a performer gets just ONE effect out of the entire collection then there should be no complaints. This is certainly no exception, and I can see most of us getting MUCH more than that.

As you said, Pegasus Page is a show-stopping effect, as are several others on the DVDs that are easily strong enough to justify the purchase price of the entire set. If you will USE them...

Bryn
Excellent DVD's.
There is something for everyone, but what I really like is the way the effects can be suited to so many styles of performing. And the bonus disk, is a REAL bonus.
Off to buy some putty.

Piers.
Why is it you can only get the bonus disc through l&l or Richard himself? Doesn't this hurt the brick and mortar magic shops? Why would someone want to buy the dvds if they can't get the bonus disc?
Mindhunter, while I do believe that one good routine might a DVD make, it also means that the material might have been condensed further. I don't have much to gripe about this set, but Osterlind IMHO is a victim of his own success with his Mind Mysteries set. The nuances of timing and psychological subtleties used in his stand-up routine that he generously shares in most of Vol 1 is a great example of what an instructional DVD should be like, if only everyone else thought as hard and were as willing to share.

I'm not saying this set shouldn't be bought, I'm just saying that for someone new to his work, Mind Mysteries would be a far superior starting place, and you literally could make a living with that set alone.

>Piers, that effect actually reminds me almost entirely of a routine by Basil Horwitz, but it could well be possible that both of them (and others) came up with such a use independently.
Yes, it would be hard to actually TOP Mind Mysteries, wouldn't it!?

(I think this is right up there in many aspects, though!)

[quote]
On 2007-05-28 02:09, Piers wrote:
Excellent DVD's.
And the bonus disk, is a REAL bonus.
Off to buy some putty.

Piers.
[/quote]

.....Isn't that SO cool...

Bryn

Bryn
Re: Disappointment that this set isn't the same as Mind Myskeries...

I'm purchasing a set of Osterlind DVDs for a friend in mentalism. Of all the DVD sets I could have chosen, I chose this set. NOT because it's superior to Mind Myskeries (Whether it is or not is moot.) but because this offers a variety, and ways of thinking that might be new to this friend. Yes, MM is a hard act to follow -- and I wouldn't envy Richard & Jim such a task! But this succeeds on several different levels, and shows this stuff working outside the studio. These reasons made this set the obvious choice for someone's first Osterlind DVDs. (Besides, where else would one get to see that marvelous hypnosis show?!)

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet
Well said, Chet!

Bryn
The way I see it, Mind mysteries, ETMM, and no camera tricks are different sets, simple as that.All are fantastic.
Each set is stand alone in my mind.

No camera tricks is top notch in performance and effects, how ever it shows some never before seen tecneques, and also shows how some times a very difficult to learn skill that no one else might be bothered to learn can put you on top and make you a real mystery maker.
I will say one thing, if you are intent on learning the material such as I am, it could keep you going for a few weeks, in fact Richard practically shows you how to devise your own effect from putting different pieces of together, I really love how flexable he is.

H.W
I only learned about the new discs thru the L&L catalogue, so I immediately bought them. I thought I *was* supporting Richard thru L&L! When I found out about the booklet I was disappointed, because the zodiac effect is a great opener, and a great effect! So how do I *now* get a copy of the booklet? Richard's site says that it will only be sold if the DVD set is purchased thru his site, and there is no mention of it thru L&L...

Lee
[quote]
On 2007-06-04 23:15, espmagic wrote:
I only learned about the new discs thru the L&L catalogue, so I immediately bought them. I thought I *was* supporting Richard thru L&L! When I found out about the booklet I was disappointed, because the zodiac effect is a great opener, and a great effect! So how do I *now* get a copy of the booklet? Richard's site says that it will only be sold if the DVD set is purchased thru his site, and there is no mention of it thru L&L...

Lee

[/quote]This is my problem , were told always to support our local magic shop. but who would buy through them if you can get more from the supplier?
It's like why go to a car dealer when you can go to the manufacturer and get it cheaper.
I love the metal bendng on this set. Even more convincing than his previous dvds.
I guess we need to find someone who will copy the book for us, and then send a few bucks to Richard directly for the invasion of his copyright! <grin>

Lee
Even as a joke there is a problem with this. When a copyright holder knowingly fails to pursue his copyrights, those same rights may become null and void. Not a pretty picture.
[quote]
On 2007-06-05 19:39, espmagic wrote:
I guess we need to find someone who will copy the book for us, and then send a few bucks to Richard directly for the invasion of his copyright![/quote]

If anyone needs a photocopy of The Pendulum Book, The Numerology Book or The Rune-Stone Book, let me know.
When I saw this I was blown away by the effects and it appears when liek hes explaining the effects saying how you don't need camera tricks hes refering to some1 most people should know who
[quote]
On 2007-06-06 15:46, Jim Sisti wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-06-05 19:39, espmagic wrote:
I guess we need to find someone who will copy the book for us, and then send a few bucks to Richard directly for the invasion of his copyright![/quote]

If anyone needs a photocopy of The Pendulum Book, The Numerology Book or The Rune-Stone Book, let me know.
[/quote]

LOL!
I have been advised that a request has been made to remove my post about the copyright issue - I had no idea that a joke would be taken as anything other than a joke, but if this is the case, then please either ignore the post or have it removed.

I do not support theft, nor do I want anyone to think that I would condone copyright infringement in any way. I apologize if this was the message that was taken from my post, and I hope no one feels that it was anything other than a smart-*ss comment.

Lee
Maybe you’re tired of me praising Richard Osterlind. But he’s left me no choice. His work is that good, and he really is that nice of a guy. Let me try, really try, to find fault with [b]No Camera Tricks[/b], his most recent DVD set.

[i](Do I have to? The faults I find are the physical DVDs themselves, not the material recorded. Whine, whine, whine!)[/i]

Well, the sound levels suck mop water through a straw. They fluctuate, mostly towards the unhearable, especially during the explanations sections.

Then there are the times the cameraman seemed to have no idea what was going on. Richard was bending spoons right under someone’s nose, and the camera guy went for a long shot so we couldn’t see a thing. Luckily, Mr Camera Guy caught up with the program in time to see an impossible (Let me impress that: an I*M*P*O*S*S*I*B*L*E) moment of weirdness when a spoon visibly bends in the hands of a spectator.

Can’t say I’m happy about the packaging. No DVD stays in its holder; not one. If these arrive in the mail without scratches, then thank whoever packed them so well.

Speaking of the packaging, whose idea was it to place Richard’s photo on the label of DVD #2 – quite in the place it is? That’s [b]gotta[/b] hurt!

And the bonus DVD won’t play on my laptop. What’s up with that?

Finally, I’m not sure that I like the idea that one has to buy the entire set instead of having the choice of purchasing just one disk at a time. Sure I’ll save money, but what about someone who may be new to this Osterlind fellow and might just want to check out his work? Unless they trust my reviews implicitly – if they’ve even read ‘em – they may wonder if Richard is any good.

None of the above has anything to do with the performer (Richard) or his team. But I am shocked because this isn’t like L&L at all.

We start out with a new opening for L&L – in a way, it reminds me of a very old [b]Tonight Show[/b] opening; in another, a 1983 or 1984 HBO opening. (It was actually based on the latter, but I still see the old [b]Tonight Show[/b] opening. Jack Parr version, I think.) It’s a skyline of a city at night, then we zoom through the city and into a window of one of the taller buildings.

Therein, we find what appears to be [b]the Jim Sisti Show[/b]. We’ve arrived too late for Jim’s opening monologue, and we segue right into the interview with his guest. His guest, Richard Osterlind, agrees to do a little something for the audience. This is very good for those of us who bought the DVDs, else we’d have four DVDs of Jim & Richard just sitting there looking at each other.

(By the way, I’d really like to see the missing portions of [b]the Jim Sisti Show[/b]: monologue, bantering with the band – the band, for that matter. I hope L&L is listening!)

I sit back and relax. The mood on the set is relaxed too; we’ll discover the pacing is relaxed also. Little do we realize this is to put us and the studio audience totally off guard. When the hits come, they’ll come hard.

Six audience members stand. In about as many minutes, Richard knows and tells the zodiac sign of each person. He says this was based on the effect of a Bob Farmer routine, but done in a new and more direct way. It certainly looks direct, and it catches the audience as if by surprise. They’re clearly startled. I don’t see how the Farmer effect could have been any stronger – from what I gather, it didn’t include finding the signs of a multiplicity of people.

To jostle them more completely out of the dullness of everyday life, he then tells one of those people his exact birthday. (The spectator’s birthday, not Richard’s. That wouldn’t be very startling!) And then – oh, rats!

Rats! Rats! [b]Rats![/b] (Read that in your best Charlie Brown voice.)

He performs “Steno ESP” – How I wish he’d kept this secret!! (OK, he can teach ME, but not anyone else.) He very cleanly and very clearly reads the thoughts of three people – no forces, no misses, and everything is clearly shown in cold print so no one can wiggle out of this. I made some good money every time I performed this, and now Richard makes it clearer, cleaner, and more impossible than ever. Unless they’ve seen this DVD, been the camera person at L&L’s explanation room, or happen to be Richard Osterlind (or Jim Sisti), you’ll stupefy all but the most cynical of magicians, mentalists, and civilians with Steno ESP. Even those who think they know how this might be done, discover they’re wrong and the whole thing is impossible. It’s a whole new handling, a whole new ending, and it’s crazy how bold and to-the-point it is.

(Richard, is there any means of mass hypnosis to make everyone (else) who bought this DVD, completely forget how to do Steno ESP?)

OK, OK. We’ll go on.

On to metal bending. Spoons, to be exact. Well, you’ve seen Richard bend spoons on other DVDs, so there’s nothing to see here. Move along. Never mind that the spoons bend in the spectator’s hands now – visibly bend. It looks so good on camera, that it triggers a Meniere’s Disease vertigo attack in my inner ears. I actually see a spoon drip. Move along, move along. Just let Granpa Chet learn these methods and move along.

Oh, this has been tagged with the name of “Liquid Metal,” so do not confuse it with Morgan Strebler’s DVD of the same name. Not the same routine. This is easier, even more visual, and made me dizzy. Move along.

Entertainingly enough, there are “commercial breaks” in these videos, in which we see Richard performing in a restaurant, a drug store (Tahoe City Pharmacy – sounds too high-falutin’ for this old country boy.), and a docking area. Right about this point in the DVDs, Richard finds himself in the aforementioned drug store. Then – this really is impromptu – a customer pulls a calculator off the wall display. It’s opened, it’s completely ungimmicked, and it’s passed to several different people. Each person either adds a 2-digit number, or multiplies the running total by something which only that person knows, and then the last person adds one more number – and hits the equal sign.

Richard not only proves he knew the total beforehand, but shows them that the total – that specific number – is printed on a piece of clothing which has been in & out of the shot from the beginning.

Let me be very specific here: The calculator is actually not gimmicked. It actually is sealed in its original packaging. It has never been seen by Richard or Jim or anyone at L&L before. It was several calculators back on the rack. (She wanted the silver calculator – or was it the black?) The audience sees the calculator torn from its sealed plastic containment.

Remember “Digital Feedback” from [b]Mind Mysteries[/b] or from Osterlind Mysteries? Imagine the effect, but absolutely impromptu.

The other commercial breaks? I'll mention ONE. Let me just say two words to send chills down the spine of anyone who watched the bonus scenes in [b]Mind Mysteries[/b]: PENNY BEND.

And Disk #1 ends with an effect credited to Art Emerson, though the presentation seems purely Osterlind to me. A civilian picks out a page from a random book. Meantime, we’ve seen two scrapbook pressboards (Cardboard? Plastic?) handled around then placed face-to-face and held shut by another person.

Now when I say a civilian picks out a page, I do not mean they TEAR OUT the page. And yet that’s exactly what happens in less than a moment. The same civilian looks in the book, and the page is definitely torn out. And, yep, it’s inside the two scrapbook pressboards. It fits the torn portion in the book – it is definitely the missing page which the same person saw just a few minutes previously.

There’s no Janelle present. Janelle was an audience member on earlier Osterlind DVDs, and on many other L&L videos. There were complaints that Janelle was too emotive, that no one could be that astounded.

Well, the folks on this video looked pretty astounded to me. And right behind the TV in this hotel room is a mirror. Yep – I look pretty astounded too.

The explanations segments are every bit as complete and concise as I’ve come to expect from an Osterlind video, even if I had to creep right up to the TV to hear anything. As a matter of fact, I’ve grown to take these sections too much for granted. Jim Sisti is such an integral part of these explanations, it seems as if he has precognition himself, knowing the very questions I’d be asking, the subtleties I would have otherwise missed. Perhaps he’s not as obliging for you. Well, he can’t read everyone’s minds... If there are any questions, any clarifications that he doesn’t cover for you – you must be pretty remarkable yourself, because these explanations are pretty exhaustive. You might write Jim and give him your background information, and maybe he’ll find it easier to read your mind next time.

If there IS a next time. Surely by now, Osterlind has run dry?

Evidently not [b]too[/b] dry. We still have three disks and a booklet to cover. Maybe in a few days. I really need to watch them again. Not just to write the rest of this review. But because they’re actually more entertaining than anything else on TV these days!

Richard proves that powerful mentalism and strong magic need “No Camera Tricks.” If that bothers you, or if you think that’s too old school for you – then allow the rest of us to take advantage of this work. And we’ll fry your audiences with stuff that looks more impossible than TV camera effects.
I really liked Janelle - that is my one complaint regarding the DVD set - I was hoping she'd be a recurring character - she was great at reacting and cute too - you see, something not explictily taught but one can pick up watching DVDs of Osterlind is his audience selection and management - true, L&L likely hand picked a bunch of people- but at the same time - you can tell some were more reactive and cooperative and better on the eyes than others for using in the show :)

Hmm... maybe there will be a spin off series - Janelle's Magic Jamboree
It has been suggested that Janelle could make a small fortune by selling autographed DVDs in which she has appeared. Anyone want to mention this to her?

*jeep!
--Troublemaker Chet
I'm sure she keeps her contact info well hidden to prevent the barrage of magicniks that would bombard her with fan mail!
It's funny but chets critiques would make me not want to but this set more than saying that the material was bad. Fortuneatly I own this and love it but I agree with chets gripes the packaging, the shaky camera work during the intermission footage and the sound. I was a little let down with the production quality I mean when I first heard about the set I thought it was going to be about how to perform magic on tv but instead it looked like mind mysteries 3 with a late night talk show background. Did anyone get the that this is not stuff you would see on tv. Was this set made for the local magician performing on local tv or for the magician who gets their own special. I must say though that it's really really good and more entertaining than than the previous sets.
The material was great. The TV Show Magic premise really wasn't different from the standard parlour setting; I think they were trying to make it informal, casual, and impromptu, but it seemed too forcefully contrived, it still came across as a formal show. Something just seemed awkward to me, like they were trying to play these TV host/guest roles but, to me, it just wasn't working. The cut segments succeeded in the spontaneous setting. The random picking a spectator by the host bit was unnecessary, it ended up being the same front-row people and just took up time with "hmmm"s and "let's see..."s. Just cut to the effect.

World's Greatest Magic by the World's Greatest Spectators, anyone? Janel volumes 1 - 3, or maybe a bloopers collection with David and the rest? They've got all the material, all they have to do is burn it to dvd, I'd be interested in buying.
I was expecting a more tv magic feel. I was mistaken. I wanted to see a take on DVD of what real mentalism on tv should look like. It might help my own demo structure.

Unfortunately a lot of this stuff is just video'ed effects that Osterlind has previously released. Nothing as amazing as his first 3.
[quote]
On 2007-06-25 13:16, adramindmagic wrote:
I was expecting a more tv magic feel. I was mistaken. I wanted to see a take on DVD of what real mentalism on tv should look like. It might help my own demo structure.

Unfortunately a lot of this stuff is just video'ed effects that Osterlind has previously released. Nothing as amazing as his first 3.
[/quote]

Agreed. I thought I was the only one. Seems most people here liked these dvds, but not me. I was VERY disappointed.

Now, I don't want to turn this into a bashing post, (because if I gave my true feelings about the performance, it would sound that way), so I will just point out a few things I noticed or annoyances if you will.

I consider myself a seasoned pro and when I watch a DVD, read a book, whatever, I don't just watch for the material...I want to be entertained as well. When dropping that kind of money on a set of DVDs, I better be entertained while I learn....maybe I am way off base, but that's the way I feel. These were just flat out boring as hell and there is no excuse for these NOT to be entertaining. After all the topic of the DVDs is entertaining via the tele without camera tricks...yes?

I found it ironic that right in the beginning, that Richard mentions that there is no use of assistance and that he really doesn't even like to have stage hands helping out, yet Sisti ends up being just that throughout. :) If one were a skeptic/laymen in the audience, what does that say?

As a Rubik's Cube fan, I thought I would get a kick out the cube effect. But again, I was let down by a lack luster performance. It not only sounded like Richard was in pain performing this effect, I was in pain watching it. I had to mute my sound system...

I did notice that Richard seemed to stop saying "Okay" as much, but this time I had to hear millions of "umms" and a flurry of indirect digs at Mr. Angel.

Also what's with asking the audience members "Is this fair?" BEFORE you do anything? Raises suspicion in my mind.

I think Richard is a great magician and that is what the performances looked like to me, over proven magic tricks.

Now before all I get a zillion PMs from all the Osterlind fanboys, let me just say that the material on the other hand is a different story. My hat goes off to Richard for bringing these effects as well as the countless other gems that he has shared with us via DVD.

So as you may be able to tell, I am not an Osterlind fan when it comes to his performing abilities, but do, GREATFULY appreciate what he brings to our art.
Message: Posted by: The GingerBread Man (Jul 10, 2007 05:52PM)
Well said Tmoca.

The GingerBread Man
[quote]
On 2007-07-10 12:47, T.M.O.C.A. wrote:
I found it ironic that right in the beginning, that Richard mentions that there is no use of assistance and that he really doesn't even like to have stage hands helping out, yet Sisti ends up being just that throughout. :) If one were a skeptic/laymen in the audience, what does that say?[/quote]

There's no place on the DVDs where Richard says there's no use of assistance. And when you say Jim lends assistance, do you mean when he hands out paper and pen or when he holds up a sign?

[quote]As a Rubik's Cube fan, I thought I would get a kick out the cube effect. But again, I was let down by a lack luster performance. It not only sounded like Richard was in pain performing this effect, I was in pain watching it. I had to mute my sound system...[/quote]

Considering the sound level, I was surprised that anyone would have to lower their sound system. Again, what you didn't enjoy was appreciated by a lot of "lay" audiences to whom I've shown the videos. Evidently, it's only magicians and mentalists who don't get into this routine. Everyone else was on the edge of their seats, even knowing (because I told 'em) that he would get it right.

[quote]I did notice that Richard seemed to stop saying "Okay" as much, but this time I had to hear millions of "umms" and a flurry of indirect digs at Mr. Angel.[/quote]

Well, I've sat through a flurry of indirect (and direct) digs at Mr. Osterlind and at me, so I suppose it evens out.

[quote]Now before all I get a zillion PMs from all the Osterlind fanboys, [/quote]

Nice trick. By a preemptive strike, you've labelled anyone who disagrees with you as mere Osterlind fanboys instead of someone who enjoys something by which you were bored. (Do you also speak in a George Sanders voice?)

[quote]So as you may be able to tell, I am not an Osterlind fan when it comes to his performing abilities, but do, GREATFULY appreciate what he brings to our art.
[/quote]

Tomato/tomahto. I also [b]gratefully[/b] appreciate his contributions to mentalism and magic, and that's said with no caveats.

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet
Message: Posted by: The GingerBread Man (Jul 10, 2007 09:48PM)
You are funny and transparent man Mr.Chet.

I could tell you were doing what you did with his name becouse you needed to protect your opinion.
(Tomato gosh I love that)

But it was a smart thing you did letting us know who follows the Osterlind.
Are you a represenative of his group?

Cheers,

Ginger
I knew my point would be missed....

It's funny, you always know when people start to take things too personally around here, because they have to refute, quote, spell check and argue every OPINION you make about something. How can you argue one's opinion? That always puzzles me.

Anyway, back to the discs.

I finally got around to watching the bonus disc. Now in the realm of hypnosis, I am a n00b, but even I would have sat half of those folks. There were some points in it that were funny and entertaining, but many of the "suggestions" just flopped and no one really did anything...not good.

Also I am not sure what Richard was trying to do by showing us a hypnosis show. Is this something he is starting to venture into? Maybe he's preparing us for his next project? Any one know?
I do not own the three disc set but I did receive the bonus disc from L&L for another purchase. It is fantastic! Okay, I skipped over the hypnosis show because I frankly don't have much interest in hypnosis. But the effects are all top notch!

As a performer, I like Richard's almost avuncular personality because it's so disarming. He's so low key and laid back, that it makes the mysteries he performs all the more powerful. Simply because you just don't expect this laid back, nice guy to be capable of such powerful stuff. Well, WE expect it. But from the lay person's POV, this approach is quite potent.
Anyone knows how to get in touch with Richard himself? I want to buy the dvd directly from him and maybe I can get all the bonuses and also his signature for my private collections.

Thanks,
[quote]
On 2007-07-12 10:01, Xemm wrote:
Anyone knows how to get in touch with Richard himself? I want to buy the dvd directly from him and maybe I can get all the bonuses and also his signature for my private collections.

Thanks,
[/quote]

Unless, I am mistaken, this is his direct site for product.

http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/
Thanks for the site tmoca.
Personally, I enjoyed the bonus disk most of all. The hypnosis act was good, but the gold was in the routines at the end. I picked up an idea from one of those effects which well was worth the price of the set.

TMOCA, the hypnotism act is not new to Richard, he performs as both a mentalist and hypnotist. I'm glad he included it, several of us have been asking him a few questions on parts of it, now that we can see his performance, and many of the questions are answered.

Personally, I have only done a few local and cable segments in the past few years, my AFRTS performances are many, many years in the past, so I have no real recent experience to refute and endorse what Richard said and tried to prove with the series. What I can say is that the DVDs did make me think.

I'm not going to argue one way or the other on the production value either. These DVDs were (like Max Maven's last set) filmed as it would appear live, no reshoots, no camera edits, no special effects. This is rare in today's video productions for some very good reasons. A problem with this approach is that there were some minor technical issues that impacted a bit on the project.

-----------------------

As for Chet and TMOCA both are decent people with differing opinions (but they both liked my book). That's good! If you don't agree with someone's words, say so, but don't mock the person. We all deserve better than that!

Tony Iacoviello
Yeah I feel ripped off. Here I'm supporting a local magic shop and at the time I didn't know about the bonus disc.
If you order $50 or more of anything at L&L, you will receive the bonus disc. A GREAT value!
I would agree with Tmoca regarding Richard's performance style. I find it too informal and meandering. I reference Ken Weber's excellent book, "Maximum Entertainment," which discusses the importance of scripting and making sure your patter is lean with no unnecessary words or motions. Whenever I watch Richard, I feel that Weber would have a field day dissecting his performance.

Despite that, however, Richard is a very effective performer. And I attribute that primarily to the strength of his material. Because his effects are so good, he can get away with a lot. To a lay audience, this stuff is simply baffling.

I say all this to emphasize that anyone who is seriously interested in mentalism should purchase all of Osterlind's material, including this set. Not only will you get some outstanding effects and routines out of the box, but you will also learn a tremendous amount that you can creatively weave into your own original works.
After speaking extensively with those in attendence at the filming, I would caution those of you who dismiss Mr. Osterlind's choices. Pretty much to the person they said that the "real person" or "unrehearsed" style made it feel more real, more "in the moment". If you could really do this, would you be slick and rehearsed, or real and a little gritty.

I know my answer. I know Richard knows his... and he knows it works.

Cheers!
I don't think "slick" and "rehearsed" must necessarily go together. Also, those in the audience had nothing to compare Osterlind's performance to. Who knows whether they would have found a more polished performance more or less powerful? If we are comparing audience comments, I would direct you to those following Bill Malone's "On the Loose" series. Bill is definitely very polished and rehearsed, and just about every comment seemed to indicate it was one of the most enjoyable, if not the most enjoyable, magic performance they had ever seen.

Clearly, Richard's audience members were impressed by and enjoyed his show. I simply believe he could have made it even stronger with a more polished performance style.
[quote]
those in the audience had nothing to compare Osterlind's performance to. [/quote]
On what grounds do you make that statement?

Comparing Bill Malone to a mentalist is just plain foolish on so many levels, not the least of which is they have different objectives... two different forms of entertainment.
[quote]
two different forms of entertainment.
[/quote]

Sorry to jump in. But I was interested by your statement. May I ask to whom? Is a general audience capable of differentiating the two forms? For them, is it just all "magic"?

Food for thought...

HJ
Nope, to them it is all very different.
Thanks,

I got my answer.

HJ
Tom,

My point was simply that a well rehearsed performance in which the performer has taken the time to trim the fat, so to speak, and keep the presentation focused on what is most powerful and entertaining is, in my opinion, always stronger than one in which this has not been done. I don't for a second suggest that Osterlind should attempt to copy Bill Malone. They clearly have different styles and are doing different things. But one thing they have in common is a desire to entertain their audience.

Many performers are able to get by on the strength of their material alone, while others coast on sheer force of personality. The best are those that combine strong material with great presentation. Osterlind's material is so good that it allows him to be a little lazy with the presenation. While I don't believe that his presentation is necessarily bad, I do think it could be better.

My comment about not having anything to compare Osterlind's performance to was explained in the next sentence. I meant that one cannot take Osterlind's audience members' praise to indicate that the show wouldn't have been better if the presentation had been more streamlined because they had not seen a more streamlined and polished performance of the same material for comparison. Just my thoughts.
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Jul 21, 2007 08:25PM)
Lumberjohn,

I thank you for your remarks and am sorry you did not thoroughly enjoy No Camera Tricks. My performance style, however, is quite deliberate and has served me well in the corporate market for over 35 years.

Richard
[quote]
On 2007-07-21 10:15, lumberjohn wrote:
one cannot take Osterlind's audience members' praise to indicate that the show wouldn't have been better if the presentation had been more streamlined because they had not seen a more streamlined and polished performance of the same material for comparison.
[/quote]
Ergo you can not make the claim you are making for the same reason.

I was there. I spoke to the audience members. I listened in on the conversations they had amongst themselves... politely mind you. I truly believe based on actually being there and listening to the audience that Richard's style made for a more real and therefore more impactful performance.

Your opinion is duly noted as are your credentials.

Cheers,

Tom
[quote]
On 2007-07-21 21:46, Tom Cutts wrote:

[/quote]

Hmm. I wasn't aware that I had posted my resume. Perhaps I should be more careful what I put on Monster.com.

It is comforting that someone out there is doing credential checks on everyone who expresses an opinion on whether they liked a particular performance. I am a little fuzzy, however, on what exactly those credentials would be. Perhaps there is a correspondence course?
[quote]
I am a little fuzzy, however, on what exactly those credentials would be.
[/quote]
That was kind of my point.
Well...I am coming into this discussion very late.

I have to say that I really get a kick out of people who have derogatory comments about the true professioinals in this business. I would further like to comment that putting on a "Magic Performance" is quite different than doing a "Mentalist Routine". Mentalists must use their audience much more than the magician (not saying that magicians do not use their audience) but they use them in a much more controlled manner. That alone makes much of what a mentalist does more off the cuff. While the mentalist can control to a certain extent his audience a magician does not even have to use the audience if he so chooses. A mentalist must think and react on his feet throuogh almost 90% of his routine whereas a magician after perfroming an act without the use of audience members can practically do it in his sleep, although it still must be done corectly and timing must be there along with misdirection, but having said that it becomes rote after a time, while the mentalist is always looking out for the unexpected.

Myself as a magician, mentalist get much more pleasure out of performing mentalism well than performing magic well. But that is just me. No matter, I love the art of both magic and mentalism.
[quote]

Cheers,

Tom
[/quote]

Sounds like Tom doesn't care for attorneys.

G.
Don't mind not seeing Janelle per se but not seeing Britney is unforgivable.
Just wondering does Richard use his journey into hypnosis music in the induction on the bonus disk of No Camera tricks?
As the purpose of No Camera Tricks was to demonstrate that powerful effects didn't need any "faking," then this bonus disk follows right along. But the big bonus is something which has little to do with the topic, and that's a demonstration of Richard's hypnosis show.

Now you've probably seen a hypnosis show, and you know that they usually consist of embarrassing the participants, having them do things which will carry over into their social lives. (Some college kids like this idea of acting out fantasies; some participants do not.) It is refreshing to see participants treated with dignity in this act. Well, as much dignity as one can have when one foot is stuck to the floor!

At no time did I see anything which would cause humiliation to a participant. Yet the show was uproariously funny, and I only hope the participants got a copy of the video -- otherwise, that command to forget everything and think the show hadn't started would leave them without the fun everyone else had.

I was particularly interested to see how quickly the subjects "went under," and wondered if there had been some pre-show prepping. Something which added entertainment and educational value, was seeing several times when the subjects resisted suggestion. There was a marvelous scene where a young lady was unable to count to ten because the number seven had ceased to exist. When faced with physical proof that "seven" did exist (counting her fingers) she resisted and the suggestion had to be strengthened.

A couple of decades ago, Richard's editor suggested that hypnosis, as we think of it, does not truly exist. Since then, there have been MRIs and CATs which show differing brain activity during "trance" sessions, and I wonder what his latest take on this is. It does look, during this presentation, as if no one is being forced into anything.

The rest of the DVD ain't chopped liver either. Almost all of these demonstrations (out-of-the-studio vignettes) were, originally, meant to be in lieu of commercials during the simulated Jim Sisti Show. At some point, L&L decided to lump these on the bonus disk. From an impossible design duplication (with an insane method!) to a method to grab four minds' thoughts at once, this runs the gamut of powerful, useable methods for really getting inside others' brains. A marvelous demonstration of "Double Down" by Bryn Reynolds shows there is more power in the routine than I suspected -- because Richard is faced with a participant who could not see the card, and still makes it work.

Which points out the real value of these disks, and this one in particular (because it also includes the out-of-the-studio experiences). These are events in which to study the audience manipulation of someone who really knows what they are doing. If there was such a thing as virtual apprenticing, these videos might just be them. As the old masters of different crafts used to say "Watch and learn." And one doesn't even need to indenture oneself to Richard as would have happened in the "good" old days.

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet
Sorry but I can't help but reply to those who are disappointed with NO CAMERA TRICKS. Perhaps you wanted Richard to hand you a complete act so you could be a "duplication". For myself I want to be different. I would like to be as successful as Richard but I'm not. I do not perform one of his effects the way that he does. When I buy an effect or a dvd of effects I am only concerned with the principle involved in each effect. I then adapt my own presentation to that effet.NO CAMERA TRICKS is loaded from top to bottom with enough material to present a complete act with a wide variety of effects and you do not have to copy Richard.