(Close Window)
Topic: Totally impromptu self-working favorites...
Hello all. Forgive me if this has been covered ad nauseum. I did a quick search and found nothing specific. In an effort to place my finger on the pulse of the fine magicians who frequent this section of the forum, I'm curious to know what your favorite self-working (or very technically easy) IMPROMPTU card effects are. By impromptu, I mean a borrowed shuffled pack that requires no prior preparation. I know some tricks require quick preparation that can be done in seconds on the fly. These are fine to include if you like.

If forced to choose just one from any and all of the card effects we all derive so much pleasure from performing, under the conditions stated above, which would be your choice?

As a final note (and then I'll shut up!) I realize you all may have favorites that are suitable only for one spectator as well as some intended for many spectators (as I do), so if there are "ties" then feel free to list both or as many as you deem necessary. The point is, I'm curious to know what you all consider "the cream of the crop" as it were. To me, it is a rare thing to find such effects as there is so much mediocrity to wade through. I also hope this discussion brings you all pleasure because (if you are like me, and I realize many of you aren't, which is fine) I find it just plain fun to talk about!

Enjoy!

Brett

P.S. If forced to choose one, mine would be a simple force followed by a ridiculously played up and dramatized (perhaps tongue-in-cheek) divination.
I'd have them peek at a card and give them the deck to shuffle (doing my own "peek" in the process). Run through the deck, name the wrong card, and when it doesn't match Top Change it. If you can't handle the top change, just name it. They'll remember that they handled the deck, and shuffled themselves. The fine details of the peek flies right past them.

It's quick, relatively easy, and requires absolutely no setup at all.
Here is are a couple of topics about favorite self-working (s-w) tricks:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=165683&forum=206&95

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=168681&forum=206&32

The only s-w tricks I have attempted is Vernon's "The Card Trick That Can't Be Explained" and his "Emotional Reaction".

Some s-w tricks that I've done for those rare folks who want to be taught a trick are:

"The Piano Card Trick" - Carlyle.
"Gemini Twins" - Fulves.
"Two Card Reverse" - Lorayne.
"The Upside-Down Deck" - Carlyle.

Since I don't do these very often I forget them and usually have to refresh my memory by reading them again.

There are a couple of easy tricks that I do that require forces, palms, culling or other sleights but I wouldn't say that they are self-working as described below.

- Requires no [i]practiced manipulation[/i] or sleights, complex setups or special apparatus.
Hey Thefritz: I've written so many books JUST FOR YOU. HL
'Do As I Do' (with 2 decks)
'OOTW'
'The Moving Pencil' (H. Lorayne - thanks Harry)
'Into The Future' (G. Griffin)

All are easy, can be done with a borrowed, shuffled deck, and are killers!

Ron
:)
I can produce a miracle with 'Gemini Twin'.

Hideo Kato
Two of my favorites (at the moment) are ROM by Max Maven and Child's Play by Karl Fulves. The only things to concern yourself with ROM are that you do need to know how to do a finger break and it does have eight different endings! No, it's not as hard as you think! ;)

Both of the above tricks were gotten out of Aldo Colombini's [i]Simply Impromp2[/i] book, which is an excellent resource for this sort of thing.
Impromptu Out Of This World, by none other than Harry Lorayne..My absolute favorite, anywhere, anytime, any deck effect.
Rennie
I always get a great response from Barrie Richardson's Impromptu Card at any Number. A fantastic trick.
I agree with R.S. that Do As I Do is a great trick. When I perform it I tend to make it more of a mentalist trick. This was one of the first tricks I learned, but I still come back to it. Magic that happens in the hands of the spectator is something I always find powerful.

Another trick that is totally impromptu, easy to perform, and very visual is something I picked up from a video with Fernando Keops and I think it's called Presto Switch. It's a very quick routine, and I personally do it after HaLo Aces or some other four aces production.
Check out the Semi-Automatic Card Tricks series of books by Steve Beam. Currently there are seven volumes, and they are all filled with great effects. You should also note that in addition to all the wonderful material, these are some of the most entertaining magic books you will ever read.
Harry,

Yes, I own a few of your books and that is one of the things I enjoy about your work... totally impromptu. Not many hold to this standard. Incidentally, I would add that The Magic Book (I have an original first edition) is my gold standard for beginner's magic books.

CDKconjurations,

I have several of Beam's books as well. They are VERY entertaining. I don't find myself laughing out loud at a book when I'm by myself very often, but with his series it never fails. My problem with many of these is the whole spelling/counting/dealing procedures found in most of the tricks in these books...even though the workings are always motivated by the author's brilliant patter lines, they still tend to be a bit monotonous for my taste.

Everybody who submitted or seconded Do As I Do,

I third you... what a classic, eh? Gemini Twins is also a great effect, indeed.

Thanks for all the great responses. Any others?

Posted: May 29, 2007 2:30pm
To add to my first post... I have recently discovered a plot that takes the idea from my first post and adds a little extra to it. This can be found in Card College Volume 5 under the title "Insured Prediction." Briefly: Deck is shuffled, two "insurance cards" placed face down "just in case they're needed," card noted (without removing it from the pack... merely looked at), deck shuffled again. Card is divined by looking through the pack and placing one face down on table. It is turned face up... wrong card. Insurance cards prove to be of same value and suit (one of each). As a kicker, when added together and counting down in the pack to that number, the original selection is found.

It takes a little more brain power than my first thought of simply taking a card and magician divining it, but the uncanny coincidence factor is fun and the kicker is pretty amazing. The whole thing is pretty much self-working too (unless you deviate from Giobbi's method and go for a more direct force, as I choose to do).
Unfortunately, the Semi-Automatic Card Tricks series books cost $45-$55 apiece, and there are now SEVEN volumes. While I'm sure they're great, and well worth the money, they are out of range for most of us amateurs. (But they're still on my 'must buy' list, just in case I win the lottery someday.)

A better choice might be Giobbi's Card College Light, which consists of a series of 21 self-working tricks organized into 7 routines. Not only does he teach you the tricks, he teaches you the presentation. I own this book and highly recommend it. It's worth the price ($35) just for the opening routine!
[quote]
On 2007-05-29 15:54, airship wrote:
Unfortunately, the Semi-Automatic Card Tricks series books cost $45-$55 apiece, and there are now SEVEN volumes. While I'm sure they're great, and well worth the money, they are out of range for most of us amateurs. (But they're still on my 'must buy' list, just in case I win the lottery someday.)

A better choice might be Giobbi's Card College Light, which consists of a series of 21 self-working tricks organized into 7 routines. Not only does he teach you the tricks, he teaches you the presentation. I own this book and highly recommend it. It's worth the price ($35) just for the opening routine!
[/quote]

Airship, you are exactly right. the opener is awesome
[quote]
On 2007-05-29 15:54, airship wrote:

[/quote]

I definitely agree with that. Card College Light has some great self-working tricks. You can take advantage of the routines that are already created for you. Or if you prefer, just pick and choose the individual effects that you like. There are some real winners in this book. I own it and it's worth every penny!
Card College Lite is definitley a great book, however I have just one problem with the opening routine... it is not impromptu. If I recall, it involves a fairly elaborate setup (not something you could do on the fly). Otherwise, if you have the luxury of carrying around a setup deck with you everywhere you go, then this routine is a hard one to top. The idea of someone asking you to do a trick and in return, you asking if they have a deck of playing cards they could grab and shuffle is just more appealing to me than taking out my own deck (at least in this context... if you're officially there to perform, that's another matter altogether). I'm not a pro who has scheduled performances, so I tend to favor impromptu.
"Devastation" by Geoff Williams
Hey!

Interesting tread. My favorites are "Emotional Reaction" - Vernon, Untouchable - Daryl and trick that uses (I think) a location from Roy Walton be David stone. "Self Worked" This are all tricks that a use when I a borrow a old messy deck from someone =)
See Natural Selection in my new book Kingdom of the Red available Aug 1. It's a self worker that is done with any deck the spectator shuffles himself. They wind up finding the card they thought of. It's entirely mathematical but doesn't seem that way to the spectator.
There is a fantastic self worker called "Joint Account" from New Magic of Japan. It kills.

Best,
Charles
Do As I Do
Double Reverse
The Odd Couples
Message: Posted by: Cranial Fermentator (Jul 13, 2007 11:42AM)
I have so many it's hard to say, but my current favorite is Karl Fulves' "Random Thot" featured in this month's " As Always Aldo" on Aldo Colombini's web site:

http://www.wildcolombini.com/aldo.html
When presented properly Gemini Twins along with Out of this World are miracles.
Message: Posted by: Cranial Fermentator (Jul 14, 2007 09:06PM)
CAROLINI,

I definately agree with you! However up to six months ago, I would have argued that "Out of this World" was simply not impromptu, since all the versions I knew needed considerable setup. Then I discovered the impromptu version on Michael's Ammar's "The Exciting World of Magic" video. Though I don't think its as strong as the other versions, considering it can be done with a shuffled borrowed deck, it is still a miracle and one of the best card tricks ever.
There are too many to name.

But one of the one's I like the best is called "Psychological Force" from one of Daryl's Revelations tapes. I have turned the presenation into the spectator does everything from shuffling the deck, selecting the card, placing it back into the pack at a random place, randomly cutting the deck into 4 piles and then finding the selected card themselves. A similar effect using a different control is in Schindler and Garcia, Magic with Cards

Jim.
[quote]
On 2007-05-08 16:27, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Hey Thefritz: I've written so many books JUST FOR YOU. HL
[/quote]

Geesh ! And all those years (until now) I thought they were "just for me" ! ;)

(They are still "just" as wonderful Harry) !

Thank you

John
To this fine thread I'd add Chad Long's Shuffling Lesson.
Sohaib,

That is indeed a really good trick based on the reactions I've received when I've done it.

Also, I've been doing a version of CAAN that is almost self-working (the one sleight is one everybody can do) and inspired by the above mentioned "Insured Prediction" and a simple spelling effect. So far it has been well-received (ass far as I can tell) even though it isn't as direct as most CAAN or ACAAN effects.

Posted: Aug 7, 2007 2:39pm
Oops! I meant "AS far as I can tell"
John Bannon has some really good ones in Dear Mr. Fantasy.

I've only been doing cards for a couple of years. I got this book and was doing the work in a matter of hours. Now I'm working on the patter and presentation. Bannon has great patter and presentation in the book.

Check it out.
I agree. Dear Mr.Fantasy is a great book.
DARYL Untouched
Untouched is probably my favorite and most used impromptu trick. The impossibility factor is through the roof. Fogel's Triple Prediction is good too, using practically the same method.

For those who are partial to Gemini... have any of you ever combined it with a Paul Curry Open Prediction presentation? Essentially, instead of one open prediction, you have two. And instead of dealing the cards face up, as Curry's problem suggests, you deal them face down. I'm curious if any of you have tried it from this angle and if so, what your results have been.
"Hellraiser II" (Peter Duffie's Effortless Card Magic) is a favorite of mine & so is Steve Freeman's "Time Machine" (C.C. vol. III), Dai Vernon's classic "Twisting The Aces" followed up with my version of "Doc Daley's Last Trick", & Harry Lorayne's "Tilt Sandwich" (BOF vol. I) to name a few.
Cardamagically,
<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> /> <> //
:) :bwink:
[quote]
On 2007-08-15 07:33, KRZ4kardz wrote:
"Hellraiser II" (Peter Duffie's Effortless Card Magic) is a favorite of mine & so is Steve Freeman's "Time Machine" (C.C. vol. III), Dai Vernon's classic "Twisting The Aces" followed up with my version of "Doc Daley's Last Trick", & Harry Lorayne's "Tilt Sandwich" (BOF vol. I) to name a few.
Cardamagically,
<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> /> <> //
[/quote]
I don't know about "Tilt Sandwich" and "Time Machine" but "Hellraiser II", "Twisting The Aces" and "Doc Daley's Last Trick" surely aren't self-working.
[quote]
On 2007-05-08 14:15, the fritz wrote:
I'm curious to know what your favorite self-working (or very technically easy) IMPROMPTU card effects are. By impromptu, I mean a borrowed shuffled pack that requires no prior preparation. [/quote]
Picard, I made my suggestions within these parameters. The sleights associated with the effects mentioned are technically very easy for me as I have been performing them for many years, so they have become practically self-working. If you have the book "Effortless Card Magic" by Peter Duffie he states in the intro that a friend of his doesn't believe that there is such a thing as self-working magic. All of this can lead into endless debates about self-working versus technique laden card effects. It still takes the performer to execute the said effect because a deck of cards is an inanimate object and can't perform by itself. I am sure there are many more effortless card magic effects out there, but take a look at the book I have mentioned as well as "The Card Magic of Nick Trost" for more "practically self-working" card miracles.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> /> <> //
KRZ4krdz,

You have a good point when you say the effects mentioned are technically very easy for you. I would place Twisting the Aces and Dr. Daley's Last Trick in the "very technically easy" (as I originally posted when beginning this thread) category, although I certainly do realize that this won't be the case for everybody. To summarize, I suppose everybody has their own interpretation of "technically easy" but to clarify for anyone else wishing to post, here is what I would personally call "technically easy"... sleights along the lines of a Jog Shuffle, Hindu Shuffle Force, Glide, Double Turnover (not fancy "touchy" moves, but rather the types described by Harry Lorayne in "The Magic Book" or "Close-Up Card Magic" as these are fairly easy to learn to do well in a reasonably short period of time), etc. These are the types of moves I picture when I think of "very technically easy." I know many of you may disagree, but I believe most of you who have a beginning knowledge of sleights with playing cards will be familiar with these moves and could probably perform them well with a few days practice. Any objections to this list? Would any of you add any "very technically easy" sleights to this list?

Posted: Aug 21, 2007 5:04pm
By the way,

When I talk about the moves described by Harry Lorayne in "The Magic Book" and "Close-Up Card Magic," I'm talking specifically about the Double Turnover! I know there are some tougher moves in Close-Up Card Magic such as the Faro Shuffle and the Curry Turnover Change. I would certainly NOT consider these moves easy!

Posted: Aug 21, 2007 5:08pm
Now that I'm thinking of it, one sleight I would add to the "very technically easy" list is the Flip Flop Change. What a great way to change multiple cards without years of practice. J.K. Hartman's Blow-Away Change does the same thing, but looks entirely different. Both are good, but I prefer the ease of the Flip Flop Change. This can be found in Card College, Volume 3, I believe.
Remember one thing though..."what seems to be "very technically easy" to one, may prove to be a stumbling block to another".
Cardamagically,
<<<KRazy4KardZ>>> /> <> //
Do ambitios card and learn some XCM. It makes you look cool in casual settings and professional settings.
Criss Cross I've just come across in Lorayne's My Favorite Card Tricks is a fun self working trick.
KRZ4kardz,

I agree. I think that was the point Picard was trying to make above.

Ace of $pades,

I don't know that I would necessarily place XCM in the very technically easy category for anybody! These manipulations are some of the most difficult there are. Even some of the best experts in this field have trouble performing some of their own moves flawlessly every time. As far as looking cool... I can see where some might be impressed by XCM, especially the demographic it is aimed at. I'm personally not so concerned about looking cool as I am about the people watching me experiencing magic.

Posted: Aug 28, 2007 4:27pm
Ace of $pades,

Do you have a routine for Ambitious Card that you personally consider to be on the "technically easy" side? I've always loved Ambitious Card and have worked on a lot of different versions. Some have lots of phases, others have few and I've played around with many different endings. I've never come up with one I'm totally happy with. Any thoughts? This question goes for anybody, by the way!
For anyone looking for Criss Cross but haven't got My Favorite Card Tricks you can see it in Bob Longe's 101 Amazing Card Tricks entitled Cross Hands (p85).
However, the write up of it is far superior in the Lorayne book.
Thanks apple123.
A quick ambitious card routine & follow with Out of This World!
I’ve been working my way through John Bannon’s “Dear Mr. Fantasy” as of late and I found myself fascinated by the underlying (self)workings (i.e. principles) of Degrees of Freedom. I tried it out a few nights ago on a couple of folks and was quite pleased with the reactions I received. I can envision some novel uses for this.
[quote]
On 2007-09-07 15:19, sparks wrote:
I’ve been working my way through John Bannon’s “Dear Mr. Fantasy” as of late and I found myself fascinated by the underlying (self)workings (i.e. principles) of Degrees of Freedom. I tried it out a few nights ago on a couple of folks and was quite pleased with the reactions I received. I can envision some novel uses for this.
[/quote]

Dear Mr Fantasy has also some very good ones such as the improved version of the Gemini Twins. I love the handling of Henry Chist's four ace trick, "Mark of the Fabulous" and also "Dead Reckoning".
Impossible by Larry Jennings

And I also like 'Netherworld' in 'Close Up Illusions' by Gary Oulette. This is an OOTW that starts with a well shuffled deck (even the spec can shuffle) and the colours are separated DURING the presentation of the effect. I like it a lot!

Sean
Sean,

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at "Netherworld." I haven't opened my copy of Close-Up Illusions in quite a while, but I think it is a fantastic book. I've never been a big fan of Larry Jennings' "Impossible." I saw him perform it on video and it seemed very procedural and uninteresting to me. He didn't really even look like he was interested in performing it! What do you do to dress it up?
Untouched
Impossible is incredible... it truly is impossible to the onlooker.
Some of my favs are Psychic Sense by Eugene Burger, Untouched by Daryl Martinez and Psychic Twins by Max Maven.
I haven't seen it mentioned so far. So I would highly recommend Overkill bt Paul Harris.
Is overkill by Harris different to the one featured on the Ammar easy to master card miracles volume 2?
Sorry guys but I cant understand why you mention overkill in this topic. Sure its self-working. However, its not impromptu.
That's why I asked above question.
Sorry, I didn't understand your view at first. To answer your question, from memory, its about the same.

Devilix
Sorry Guys, I got so wrapped up in reading the posts on this thread that I forgot about the totally impromtu bit.
So what would your impromptu favorite be, truesoldier?
Solomons 7 card lie detector and Harry Lorayne five card reverse faro ending
[quote]On Apr 9, 2015, stickmondoo wrote:
Solomons 7 card lie detector and Harry Lorayne five card reverse faro ending [/quote]

Stickmondoo,

Thanks for ressurecting a fun, old thread! Where can these be found?
That is a very good question. The lie speller I think is in the wisdom of Solomon (might be his second book?) it's quick and easy. It's origin I think is Jim Steinmeyers (sorry if I spelled that wrong) which is in his book Impuzzibilitys. To tell you the truth my favourite version is actually lie speller #2 by JC Wagner in a book called Full Metal Jacket. The reason I didn't mention it before is although it is completely impromptu it requires a bit of memory work so isn't exactly self working. I think if you tried it once on a lady you would not be disappointed. It's a lot of fun and gets great reactions and the final spell is impossible with a very devious method. I think Harry Lorayne reverse faro ending is in personal collection but not sure. It's def on his DVDs. It's just 3 reverse faro with five card packet leaving selection face down in face up packet. Simple but gets great reactions. Especially when combined with a devious count that shows ?! Five cards while hiding the selection.
Check out my book, SPECIAL EFFECTS.
Nice one Harry. I find it hard to remember where your best tricks come from. You have so many good tricks and so many good books ü The five card count is genius.
While we are on the subject Harry another self working impromptu one by you that I always use is the two card location using any one card pulled out of the deck. First by spelling, second by face up card in shuffled deck finding. Is that one in Special Effects? It's a good one. Cheers
I like Michael Weber's Red/Black; his version of OOTW. I also like You Do As I Do. Harry Lorrayne has quite a few wonderful books on this subject.
Self-working from a shuffled deck. How about the 8 of Diamonds Trick on Paul Gordon's Card Startlers DVD? I also love Gemini Twins - a classic in card magic that gets good reactions.
Business Card Prophecy always plays well for me.
[quote]On May 9, 2007, tgplano wrote:
I always get a great response from Barrie Richardson's Impromptu Card at any Number. A fantastic trick. [/quote]

Was scanning this fascinating thread and caught this old post.

I couldn't agree more that the Richardson CAAN is incredible. BUT I wouldn't call it a self-worker, as a couple of sleights are involved. Not knuckle busters, but one move in particular does take practice and deft misdirection.

Les
Koran's Double Out Prediction.
Oscar Weigel/Frank Garcia "Miracle Speller."
[quote]On Aug 8, 2015, Shayde Phoenix wrote:
Oscar Weigel/Frank Garcia "Miracle Speller." [/quote]
Very cool.
[quote]On Jul 11, 2015, Roy Rocha wrote:
Business Card Prophecy always plays well for me. [/quote]

Good call! I always used to pass it over in Scarne on Card Tricks because I thought the move was too obvious. I learned in time that it sails right past muggles, and occasionally past watchful magicians!!!
[quote]On Aug 9, 2015, lcwright1964 wrote:
[quote]On Jul 11, 2015, Roy Rocha wrote:
Business Card Prophecy always plays well for me. [/quote]

Good call! I always used to pass it over in Scarne on Card Tricks because I thought the move was too obvious. I learned in time that it sails right past muggles, and occasionally past watchful magicians!!! [/quote]
Max Maven's spread subtlety which follows the Prophecy move is wonderful.
An interesting variation of Bill Simon's move is credited to Simon Aronson and Bruce Cervon and I believe can be found in Mark-A-Place Mates in the Aronson Approach. (A nice variation of which can be found in Card Magic of Nick Trost, but I digress)
Gemini Twins, Ultra Coincidence (in the first Fulves book on self-workers), Mountebank Miracle (RRTCM), The Mathematical Card Trick (Scarne on Card Tricks), Get Thee Behind Me Satan (Hugard's Encyclopedia), and Twin Souls (Al Baker, Hugard's Encyclopedia, first trick in the book).

If you ever do a trick for a person or people who have had a few beers, try Love Birds (Scarne on Card Tricks). I don't know why, but this trick works so well on people who are half in the bag that it's my favorite bar trick. I don't even bother do do it anywhere else, but in a bar this trick seems to be the gold standard. The only reason I tried it in the first place is that I wanted to see what I could get away with in front of people who have had a few drinks (I really don't understand why this trick fools anyone), but for some reason it gets better reactions than any other trick I've ever done in a bar, card or otherwise. If you visit bars occasionally, try it sometime.