(Close Window)
Topic: Bull Whip Advice
So there seems to be a standard option of a 6 foot or 8 foot bullwhip for cracking. The only thing is I have no idea what the diffrence between the two is! Is one better for certain tricks? Is one easier? Is one better for cracking? If some one who knows so whip stuff could inform me Id be happy.

Whip it good,
Anton
It's easier to crack a longer whip, but as advised by Chris McDaniel, you should really start with a shorter whip. That way once you've mastered cracking a smaller whip the transition to a longer whip is mmmmmmmmmmmuuuchh easier, vs. going from a longer to a shorter. I myself ended up using 4ft nylons for two reasons: 1. 4ft is perfect for most clubs and/or bars where I perform 2. Nylon takes a beating vs. a kangaroo or other leather type whip. If you want some good inexpensive nylon whips check out Rhett Kelly he makes them to spec, whatever length and color you want also does matched pairs for a good set to use for volleys. His website is http://www.cowwhips.com, just drop him a line to confirm the pricing and availability for what you are looking for, he may take a little bit to get back to you since he is extremely backed up right now, but he can take your order and doesn't ask for payment until your order is complete. If you need anymore info you can shoot me a pm , I've been pursuing this act pretty hard lately and have a ton of info if you need it.
So...I just took my first whip class from an exellent cracker last night (And now have two hours a week scheduled for the next month and a half)!
She prefers whips 6' or less. According to her they are more versatile, can be worked closer to the body and generate faster combinations. Previously I had been working with a 12' bullwhip, stepping down to a 6' made a huge difference. I was able to do moves that I had been trying for years with the 12' within a couple of minutes of picking up the 6'.
A shorter whip eliminates a lot of clearance issues as well, and can be performed in a smaller venue.
Don't know how much difference there is moving from 6' to 8', but I would imagine the 6' would still be a touch easier.
Please note- I am not a pro at the whip yet, but still relatively proficient. I am parroting information handed to me by a definate pro.
And don't skimp on the whip. Get a good one.
http://www.dube.com has a decent 6' nylon whip for under 100. I have been advised that it is actually superior in quality and durability to the leather one they offer. Apart from that one as a starter, you are looking at 180-200 for a really good leather whip.
Gwyd
I may be wrong, but my impression of what Mr. McDaniel said was that it is easier to go FROM a shorter whip TO a longer whip (as opposed to vice versa) but that the shorter whips are easier to crack. I have a long 8 footer and it is WAY more difficult to crack than my new 4 foot whip (the 'Lil Indie...). People have difficulty going to a shorter whip after learning on a long one. This was true for me, but certainly the short whip takes a lot less effort and energy. My arm can get quite tired cracking the long whip.

I got both from http://www.westernstageprops.com/

The 'Lil Indie:

http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WSP&Product_Code=WT&Category_Code=IJC

My 8 foot whip is the:

http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WSP&Product_Code=WL&Category_Code=AB
That makes sense as well, but my understanding was that being that it takes a more precise condensed movement to crack a smaller whip and you can have a slower more exagerated motion when cracking a longer one. I may be wrong in this though, the two things that I remember him definitely saying were it's better to learn on a shorter whip and going from a shorter to a longer is easier than going from a longer to a shorter, so we'll agree on that :) Bottom line thought it's really going to be a matter of preference for you Anton. I think we've all pretty much bombarded you with enough info to get you on the right track.
Agreed. Anton, if you are cracking whip indoors, go for a 4 footer. Plenty of "crack". Don't smoke it. Whip it.
HAHAHAHA that's great!
Anton
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (May 18, 2007 07:08AM)
I'm also one of the few that perfers nylon over leather when it comes to bullwhips. My 6 footer came from colorado saddelery when they still made them, and on closeout I got one of the 14 foot ones when you wanna reach out and touch somebody. (granted you gotta get a lot of momentum built up to get it to fire out nicely.)

Also you can't forget the ones made out of Kevalar, I was doing this show a few years back and performing with me was this local girl that was doing a double firewip routine. (really nice)

Other than that I did see some custom made ones out of 550 parachute cord that just looks really good.
Fire whips are something entirely different since the aim isn't to "crack" them for the sound (for the audience) as you do a regular whip, but to get that fireball off the end. I prefer Nylon when working on anything other than grass as it takes the punishment better than leather/kangaroo whips.