(Close Window)
Topic: The National Magic Trick
We all have a National Athem, before sporting events, asks to rise for the National Athem. If there was to be a National Magic Trick, and you can submit anyone you want, can be Comedy, Close Up, Stage, and even Illusions, which one would you submit for the National Magic Trick. I would submit the Zig-Zag lady.
Vanishing hanky - (TT)

Lyndel
Mismade Flag
[quote]
On 2007-05-11 21:32, Lyndel wrote:
Vanishing hanky - (TT)
[/quote]

I think Penn & Teller opened one of their older TV shows with the Vanishing Hanky, and that's exactly what they called it: "The National Magic Trick".
I think. I could be wrong.
Cups and balls...
Nathanallen,

I have the same recollection of seeing Penn and Teller. Always seemed weird to me here in the UK when they are talking about the national trick and they're americans.

Nigel
Vanishing bird cage (Blackstone)
Ever since I was a kid, there were two tricks that, no matter how cliche, ALWAYS personified (can a "thing" personify?) magic to me:

1. Pulling a rabbit from a hat
and
2. Sawing a lady in half

My vote would probably be sawing a lady in half.
The French Drop... no that would be France's
Chinese Linking Rings... no that would be China's

I vote cups and balls with those cute little baseballs and a hot dog production finale while eating apple pie in a Chevrolet.
Oh, good! Another national something! I always like celebrating national frozen food month, but that's a whole month and no one ever asked me to pick a national frozen food.

For a national magic trick, in America, it should be a totally American trick. That lets out Zig-Zag (Robert Harbin- UK) and vanishing birdcage (Bautier De Kolta - France) and even the vanishing hanky with a TT is not totally American in origin. However, The Professor's Nightmare IS totally American, from Hen Fetsch through Bob Carver and most of the rip-off artists who claimed it at one time or another. Besides, it has Professor in its name and I am partial to anything with Professor in it. I wish Professor Cheer's could be considered, but it is of UK origin.
I will go with the Proffessors Nightmare.
OHNOHEDI-INT!!!

Don't you give my Vanishing Birdcage to the French?!?! We took their statue, their fries, and their maid outfits... I WANT THE CAGE!!!!!

Nationalisticly Yours,
Troy
Recalling that Blackstone named himself after a popular brand of cigars of the era, and that we already got revenge on the French for their fries by sending them McDonalds, why embarrass ourselves by electing to "national magic trick" status a birdcage that can no longer be performed with a live bird inside? It should either be referred to as the "empty cage" vanish or the "rubber canary cage" vanish.

However, perhaps I should rethink my nomination and select a trick whose name everyone can spell correctly.
I would have a few I think. The vanishing Hanky,Coin from ear,sponge balls and last is cups and balls.
[quote]
On 2007-06-02 12:40, nathanallen wrote:
I think Penn & Teller opened one of their older TV shows with the Vanishing Hanky, and that's exactly what they called it: "The National Magic Trick".
I think. I could be wrong.
[/quote]

In "Magic & Mystery Tour" the episode where they go to China, they close with a room of people performing it as China's national trick.
[quote]
On 2007-06-08 16:47, calamari wrote:
The French Drop... no that would be France's
[/quote]

Also the Guillotine.. :) ..
My vote goes to the cut and restored rope.
don't know if it's American in origin though. Just seems like everyone has a version in their show.
Pull my finger. :lol:

Actually, the Quarter From The Ear should be the National Trick; everybody's uncle (even Sam?) does it.
Ambitous Card
Or perhaps Folding Quarter...everyone comes into the shop asking for that "quarter bite thingie" they saw on t.v.