(Close Window)
Topic: That horrible "click"
Gents-

Recently I have begin putting in serious time attempting to learn different palms. I truly believe that this sleight is a must for any worker. I have found some great ones, and the best resource I have found so far is Mike Close's Power of Palming Video. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people who are just learning to successfully palm cards.

I do have one question though. Every time I palm a card (usually in my left hand) and then pull the deck free of the card I always hear the terrible "click". I believe it is just a matter of practice and getting the angles right when I free the card, but can anyone offer any tips or special handlings? Thanks in advance!
Relax your left hand. The click is also a common problem in a side steal, in which it often comes from squeezing the card in the right hand too much too soon. Try to barely grip the card until it is free of the deck, and then palm it the rest of the way. Keeping it as parallel to the other cards as possible also helps a little, but relaxing and delaying the full grip of the cards are the real tricks.

Best of luck,
Andru
http://www.practicenotincluded.com/
I dont know much about cards and palming especially, but if you can, try this. If the deck is in your left hand, turn the top card with your left thumb just a little to the side, then palm the card. That way, it is easier to grip and so far, I have had no trouble with a "click" sound. Hope this helps, but remember, Im just beginning so I don't know much about this subject at all. Just my two cents.
My advice would be to go a little slower, I finally got rid of that sound by just slowing it down a little so it doesn't slap against my palm.

I hope this helps.

:devilish:
Cough when you palm.
I, too, had the same 'click' problem when first learning all manner of palms. Two hints that helped me were to slow down the action when practicing, and to develop 'soft hands' when performing the sleight.
I haven't got a bottom palm I'm happy with yet, but I find that for a top palm it helps to lever the card into palm at the same time as sliding the right hand across the top of the deck 'squaring' - I've never noticed a click this way.
[quote]
On 2002-03-22 14:35, NickW wrote:
I haven't got a bottom palm I'm happy with yet
[/quote]

Check out my "Automatic Bottom Palm" in "Great Scott! It's Card Magic!"
Thanks - I'll check there if I can find it. Is it available in the UK, or only on order from the US?
You can get it directly from me. Mention the Cafe, and I won't charge you for shipping. email me for details if you're interested.
Riffle shuffle the deck before executing a one handed top palm.The card comes up sweet as you like.