(Close Window)
Topic: Best closeup tricks for a beginner
As per my other posts, I've just joined the forum and am getting back into magic since doing it in my teenage years. Quite simply I'd like some advice on buying some 'classic' close-up tricks and/or new works that I can perform in front of colleagues, friends etc without too much reliance on sleight of hand, setup or gimmicks. Most of the stuff I have from my younger years are Tenyo products and looking back, some are just awful such as the pencil through a pencil, many relying on ‘gimmicks’ too much. Some gimmicks are helpful, whilst others simply destroy the illusion and decrease an audiences ability to suspend their disbelief. Does anyone, esp professional magicians use Tenyo products?

What are people top 5 'wow' 'must have' pieces that never fail to amaze, both classic and new. I’d esp be interested in pieces that don’t arouse suspicion or can even be handed out for inspection.

Andrew

What are people top 5 'wow' pieces that never fail to amaze. Classic or new?

Andrew
Without a doubt, Out of This World. No sleights - slays.

///ark
I'd have to say the invisible deck.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (May 15, 2007 05:06AM)
Andrew,

get a dek of cards and work on some self-working tricks. Scarne on Cards is a great resource and a bargain.

Andy
1. Scotch & Soda.
2. Sponge Balls.
3. Vanishing hanky (T.T.).
4. Color Monte.
5. Floating Bill. (I.T.)
These are just a few that are examinable.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>>DOM
:) :bwink:
If you want to buy a book instead of indivual tricks, It's a must that you get 'Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic', if you haven't already.

It has tons of effects that are great and not hard but are still very good.

Somebody please back me up here.
Andrew, I'd suggest two things: first, a good paddle trick like a Money Paddle (click [url=http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=1945&cat=0&page=2]HERE[/url] to view) or the Jumping Gems (click [url=http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=1817&cat=0&page=1]HERE[/url] to view).

Next, as others have suggested, get a book of tricks, as opposed to single tricks. Not only is it a better value, but you'll be exposed to a wide variety of effects and can pick and choose what you like.

This way, you'll have some surefire "mechanical" effects that are easy to perform, and you can start learning some sleight of hand so you won't need lots of fancy gadgets. You can try Volume One of the Tarbell Course or "Hugard's Magic Manual," a $15 Dover reprint of Jean Hugard's 1939 "Modern Magic Manual," which is available through Amazon, click [url=http://www.amazon.com/Hugards-Magic-Manual-Cards-Coins/dp/0486418774/ref=sr_1_1/102-3638774-5999315?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179249790&sr=1-1]HERE[/url] for more info. BTW, if you like sleight of hand, the Cups and Balls is a very good place to start.

And remember, a trick is only as amazing as you, the magician, make it. SETH
You can't go wrong with the above. I picked up an easy great looking effect just yesterday at Fantasma. It's their "Ring-Scape" or ring through rope. Here's a link to the demo.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/488859/fantasmas_ring_through_rope
[quote]
On 2007-05-15 11:56, Justin R wrote:
If you want to buy a book instead of indivual tricks, It's a must that you get 'Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic', if you haven't already.

It has tons of effects that are great and not hard but are still very good.

Somebody please back me up here.
[/quote]

Without a doubt, this book is worth it's weight in gold. Not only is it jam packed with great effects it will also teach the prerequisites to more advanced material you may learn down the road.
Be careful on buying stuff that looks cool or maybe easy. Get books, DVDS, lecture notes, and try and find a mentor. This will save you from buying stuff, that once you get in the groove, you will never use. I have a ton of crap that I collected before I hunkered down with books and videos. My mentor told me that everyone does it...part of the learning process. Any questions just let me know I have a lot of reference material.
Just adding my $.02. I too am a beginner. I am not all that cash constrained, so take that into consideration -- but for me big bang for the buck effects:

1. WoW by Masuda. Easy to do, still have to practice some small sleights (which is good in my opinion) and killer effect. Up close, personal and people love it.

2. Prohibition by Charlie Justice (I think). Again very cool trick, pretty easy and takes a little practice.

Take a look at their demo videos and see if you like the effect -- if you do then I would highly reccomend them.
The book "Now You See it, Now you don't" by Bill Tarr has a wealth of great tricks and sleights. "Fraud" is a pretty great (but will require some prep at home) wow-elliciting trick.
There is another post of the "5 best pocket tricks magicians always carry" in the Café. At one point I went through all of the previous posts and compiled a list...It may be enjoyable to review it in this thread too, so here it is...

1. I.T.
2. Crazy Horseman Cuff
3. Star gazer
4. Deck of cards,stacked deck, crash course 1, Aces stacked on bottom
5. Trilogy Dirty Pool (Michel Huot) –
6. 3 ball (Garrett Thomas)
7. Divided Attention (Sankey)
8. Design Duplication (Osterlind)
9. Hundy 500
10. Thumb tip, loaded w/$2 bill, black silk, $100 bill switch,Sugar packs,
11. Scotch and Soda
12. PK/PTK ring
13. Quarter for "STUCK"
14. Silk hanky
15. Osterlind Watch routine
16. Betting game with yes/no card
17. Divine a thought of telephone number
18. Pulse stop
19. Pen through quarter gimmick, normal quarter, pen
20. One or two half dollars
21. My card to wallet is my everyday wallet
22. Flash Cotton
23. "Questionable Trick"
24. "Recap"
25. "Cigarama"
26. "Florida Keys"
27. "Torn & Restored Bill"
28. Entourage
29. Two Dollar Window
30. Wonderland Dollar/Bill
31. Hypnotic Choice
32. flipping dollars,
33. MagiCard
34. Mental Yarn
35. Mark Jenest's No 2 Pencil
36. Gaffed Sharpie
37. 1-2 quarter gaffed coins
38. Two Ones to a Two
39. Two Pennies on Knee
40. Tenkai Pennies (see Bobo's)
41. Invisable Deck
42. 2 Card Monte
43. Fant-a-Stick
44. Ike Dollar Coin & Sudbury Penny (Spellbound)
45. Lubor Lens (Reality Twister)
46. 3-Ring Circus (Jay Sankey)
47. Mismade Dollar Bill (Four Corners)
48. Gimmick for doing Cap In Glass Bottle (Prohibition)
49. pens (Flip Stick),
50. Rubberbands (CMH), crazy man handcuffs, penetrating and linking bands
51. Color Changing Knives
52. $1 & $5 bill transposition
53. Card Warp
54. Pinnacle (ring & rubberband)
55. KK (Kenton Kneppers card in wallet)
56. Flaming wallet
57. Two Green Sponge Balls for Balls in the Mouth
58. Hopping Halves
59. Pinky tip
60. McDonald's aces
61. floating cigarette/match/toothpick card.
62. Hot Rod
63. Bite quarter
64. Nickels to Dimes
65. color monte
66. mini cups and balls
67. ash pen
68. lit cigarette vanish
69. Loops, (something I do with cards).
70. Greed.
71. BWind
72. Alien Autopsy.
73. Two dice for a dice addition trick
74. Two paper clips for the linking paper clips
75. Kollosal Killer in heirloom wallet
76. Slow burn (Sanders) on a exotic looking money clip
77. a half, a copper penny, and an expanded shell half
78. psychokenetic pen and duplicate
79. 3 Fly III
80. Outlaw wallet
81. p***et writer
82. Bryn Reynolds' "Business Coin Prediction"
83. small pad of PCT paper
84. Banachek's "M.I.N.D" opener
85. dollar bill w/ pre-written prediction of serial number that will be selected
86. Stealth Assassin Wallet with 4-card version of KK
87. magic square prediction
88. PK Time (usually using the spec's watch, mind),
89. 3 phase coin routine,
90. a coin transposition,
91. The Magic Traffic Light
92. 5" or 50 sponge bunnies
93. Magnetic Silver Copper
94. Lethal Tender
95. Cigarette thru Quarter
96. Brainwave Deck, B'Wave, 8 card brainwave
97. Perfect Pen
98. PK Pen
99. Paperclipped card for Jay Sankey's effect
100. Rubberbands for Kenner's Missing Link
101. Invisible Deck
102. Standard Bicycle Deck in Osterlind Breakthrough order
103. 2 quarters for repeat coin under watch
104. Silver dollar for a 1 coin routine using muscle pass and Backpalming
119. Daryls no touch card trick
120. Business card prediction.
121. "What's Next?"
124. Raven
125. Folding coin
126. 'Pick a card, any card' Kipp Sherry
127. P-PIK Prediction Cards
128. Spider Pen
129. Dime & Penny
130. Disappearing Card Deck
132. Leaving Home
133. Princess Card Trick
134. 3 half dollars for "3 Coins Across,"
137. Sponge Ball Routine
138. Mystic Chips
139. Colour Changing Silks
140. 4 Coins (dollars or halves)
141. Blue deck (with blue and red dup)
143. Coin purse
144. Okito box
145. copper, copper/silver
146. Multiplying balls
147. Ellis ring
148. Gaffed knit balls
149. Ammar's ETMC
Wow, that's quite a list! I don't think I have that many pockets (and I don't believe I'd be a beginner once I mastered half of that list!)
Wow! Great list, pradell. Thanks for taking the time to compile it and share it with us.

A few of them I'm going to have to do a search to find out just what they are.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think these lists will keep me busy for some time hunting down the effect. I gather some titles are more generic, rather than belonging to just one person.

On a tangent, has anyone subscribed to CardTricks 101 or know much about this or similar pay to enter magic sites? I've posted a message in the Mgrs area asking Steve for advice about general internet sites / links and reviews of sites.

Keep the lists coming! Try to mention creator if possible.

Andrew
Out of This World is by Paul Curry, and can be found in his [i]Magician's Magic[/i], which, as it's published by Dover, is easily and cheaply available.

There's a pretty similar version called Intuition in Roberto Giobbi's [i]Card College Light[/i]. I would highly recommend this book to a beginner. It contains only self-working tricks, but also includes tips on how to use sleights to improve them when you're ready. The tricks are arranged into routines, which (especially in the case of T.N.T and Intuition) set each other up nicely.

///ark
Mark Wilsons complete course in magic. This is a great book with a lot of effects. They can also be modernized with a little creativity.
I would second the Mark Wilson suggestion. Resisted it for a long time thinking it would be hard to understand tricks from a book -- boy was I wrong -- great investment :)
I will have to jump on the bandwagon and third the Mark Wilson suggestion. This is the book that first led me into learning magic after talking my parents into getting it for me years ago. I still have that book, and it is well worn and dog eared, but still lots of great information. I was actually reading through it last night, thinking that is is about time for me to start learning the cups and balls.
I'm hearing Mark Wilson lecture tonight! Really looking forward to it.

///ark
Thanks for the posts everyone. I too have Mark Wilson's book which was given to me for my 13th birthday and I'm starting to go through it again. Has anyone tried the magic paddles? I can't believe that an audience wouldn't realise a knife is facing the same way when rotated forward and top to bottom. Love the card section though, although too be honest, I posted this 'post' initially as I'm trying to get away from just cards and use other found or constructed objects etc

Andrew
Another great book series to add to this list is the Karl Fulves [i]Self Working[/i] series. These books from Dover cover a wide variety of topics, not just card tricks.

Another source would be Scarne's book on magic tricks.

To look at anything that Dover has, go to http://www.doverpublishing.com

One good book that I recently purchased has been Aldo Colombini's [i]Simply Impromp2[/i] book of card tricks. While many are self working, many others are not. But they are there and relatively easy to perform when you're ready to do them.
My vote goes to the Invisible Deck in conjunction with the Outlaw wallet...spec chooses a card, writes it down on a slip of paper and the paper is tucked away in a wallet between two other cards. Seems fair (at least to the spectator). Then you open the ID and reveal the spectator's card as the only card face down. Trust me...this one KILLS if you do it right, even though it might sound corny. I had a woman literally scream when I revealed her card. It was classic. But even if you don't use the Outlaw the ID is still an awesome gimmick. I'd recommend making your own.
Message: Posted by: Johnny Butterfield (May 22, 2007 10:11AM)
[quote]
On 2007-05-16 18:32, AndyMac68 wrote:
Has anyone tried the magic paddles? I can't believe that an audience wouldn't realise a knife is facing the same way when rotated forward and top to bottom.[/quote]

Well, the colour changing knives killed a bunch of kids at a barbecue last weekend, and it's not dissimilar to a paddle kinda move.

Heh, the knives killed. Get it?
[quote]
On 2007-05-15 13:32, Hearttau wrote:
You can't go wrong with the above. I picked up an easy great looking effect just yesterday at Fantasma. It's their "Ring-Scape" or ring through rope. Here's a link to the demo.

[/quote]

That's a great effect. How do you like it so far?
Andrew, stay away from the "magic set" type stuff. People will not take you serious enough if you pull our a bunch of plastic stuff.
Remember the top 5 WOW tricks for one person may not fit the personality for another. You will need to pick the best 5 you can do and make them your WOW items.
That said, there are a ton of packet tricks that use little if any sleights and are quick learners, like b-wave, or twisted sisters.
Look for the Fulves books on self working magic, they are a great source for non-sleight magic.
Many of the gimmicked coin magic does not need sleights. The pen through bill is mechanical but totally natural looking.
Also there are a lot of mental effects that use little in the way of apparatus or sleights.
As alwasy your best value is in books, you get a ton of information and a lot of tricks to pick from for the same cost as a couple of packages tricks.
Good luck
Lennart Green's light dvd has a trick called Eye of the Storm,quite easy to learn the basic trick & his patter is adaptable to other scenarios.Plus,you get to see a magic artist at work.Great.
SWEET! I made this list at #120 ("The BusinessCOIN Prediction!")

Thanks!

Bryn
Hey Bryn I think your at 82 unless your using some crazy misdirection on me?!?!?

Regards,

Barrett James
I would say start out with self working tricks. Learn to work the audience first.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (May 31, 2007 06:32PM)
What a list - thanks a lot
If you're a beginner and you wanna learn card stuff, I would go to Ellusionist.com and get some of their DVDs. Crash Course 1 and 2 are both great. the ninja series is more advanced, but you can work on that stuff while you're performing easy things from cc1 like here then there (a great trick, the audience will remember forever)
I love a trick called "Jumping Gems" available at Rich Hill's Illusion Shop.

Curt Miller
Houston Magician
Magic + Comedy = Entertainment!
http://www.curtmiller.com
A few inexpensive tricks that can play well if presented right. Minimum sleight of hand. Gimmicks are involved. Prices are approximate.

"Crazy Cube" - $3.
"Steel Ball & Tube" - $5.
"Double X Rating Pen" - $7.
"Link Key" - $10, Bob Solari.
"Tric Tac"- $15, Bob Chesbro.
"Spare Change" - $15, David Acer.

Learning to do sleights with different shaped objects is the best bet for impromptu situations.
Something I did once, I wrote a list of effects I'd like to do, about 5-10 or so, then I found out if these things existed by visiting shops, web sites etc. Chances are that most of the things you list will have been done. You could do this in a few minutes.

When (if) you find them, have a look at them and see if you can have them demo'd. If they suit you and you like them and you can afford them buy 2 or 3. Practice like mad and then do them for real people. If they play well, you're laughing.

Tom
Thanks again everyone, some good advice. Thanks Jaz, I'll check out these items. I'm travelling for the first time to the states in Nov and hope to spend some dosh on tricks, dvds etc.

Has anyone read my other post in grand illusion about the history and illuions using shadow magic? I've had zero responses. Maybe they're too serious in there! :(

A
1-Out of this world (the versión for two people)
2-appearing the four aces
3-ashes
4-thumb tip
5-reading mind from book

those had never failed to me, and are really easy to do
Antonio

Can you provide more info about these effects including the author for 'Out', 'Appearing' and 'Ashes'. I'm not sure what your refering to here.
Key Card Routines. A good place to start is "Magic With Cards" by Garcia and Schindler.
As per other threads in the forum, I concur with Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, but for the cardster in you, also Royal Road to Card Magic. I've got both, and I bought the DVD set for RRCM featuring R.Paul Wilson. Can't beat actually SEEING how to handle cards. ;)
I am six months new to Magic and am just sorry that I did not get into this earlier. I just want to learn everything and like many have brought, then sold on stuff that was either not my style or just gimmicks.
My only Audience is my Girlfriend and Mates etc.

I have had a dumbstruck Girlfriend with.

Overkill and Find the Aces and would also agree with Mark Wildon about Out of this World.

Hope this helps

Darrell
If you're in to money magic, I would without a doubt add David Roth's Expert Coin Magic (no gaffs) & Ultimate Coin Magic (gaffs) DVD series to your collection. This is close-up magic at its best taught by the "master" in coin magic himself.
I think one of the easiest things to perform and have access to are the levitating-small-items tricks. Any magic store has at least a couple variations on it, and they're great for performing close up.
[quote]
On 2007-05-15 22:07, pradell wrote:

120. Business card prediction.
121. "What's Next?"
124. Raven
125. Folding coin

[/quote]

Okay, curiousity is killing me, what are numbers 122 and 123? I have to have those!
Hi Sabrina:

122 and 123 are illusions that have been created by Marcel Marceau! He carries them in his pockets 24/7. Although they are copyright protected, he has given me permission to share them with you in this post.

Here they are:

Enjoy!*

:magicrabbit:

*just kidding!
I am a coin guy and I don't think that you can go wrong with coins for close-up impromptu work.

Most of the stuff I do needs no special gimmicks, though I always carry 'coin unique and/or a nest of coins as well as wearing my PK ring.

You will never be stuck for something amazing to do with these items.

However, I would recommend a couple of book purchases first - Mark Wilson has already been mentioned. I, of course, would also recommend Bobo, but there is also a great book called Street Magic by Paul Zenon which I love.
I have always been a big fan of Spare Change by David Acer. Nice dime and penny routine. I do a routine with this trick that includes a transpose, vanish, a coin changes to a quarter, and a penetration through the back of the spectators hand for the end ;D Can all be done in one routine, you don't really have to have a pater for it but it helps allot. With a small switch at the end it can be fully examined :)

I would highly recommend it to anyone for a good pocket trick :)
THUMB TIPS, THUMB TIPS, THUMB TIPS!!!!!!!
SPONGE BALLS, SPONGE BALLS, SPONGE BALLS!!!!!!!!
With the sponge balls you can use a number of simple sleight of hand movements to create a milion effects from changing the size of balls, the number of balls, the color of balls, and even the shapes. Turn a red ball blue then turn it into two, three, four, then into a square and then a jumbo ball, then to bunny rabbits,eggs,fruits,veggies and so on, and so on and so on.......Oh my gosh, I need to remember to breathe.All light headed.
The thumbtips are just as versitile and can have a thousand effects that you can carry in your pockets.
Excellent instructional videos and DVD's are any thing from Jeff McBride.
http://www.mcbridemagic.com.
If you're looking for a gimmick, I whole-heartedly recommend the Stripper Deck. It automatically allows you to do impressive tricks, but doesn't inhibit sleight of hand. Spend 90 days practicing with a Stripper Deck, and when you can perform all of your SD tricks without the strip, gratefully part with it.
Five tricks you should definitely get are:

1. Color Monte
2. Sharpie Thru Dollar (SR-71 Blackbird)
3. Recapped Routine By Greg Wilson (On The Spot DVD)
4. Card Toon 1
5. Two Red D'lites

You actually might like a trick that I invented as well. It's called Compression and will be sold as a DVD throughout the U.S. and Europe (exclusively at magicshop.co.uk). It is very easy to do and is extremely hard hitting - Should be out before October.

Anyway, the five tricks listed above are all great. :)

-Daniel
I'm still a beginner myself, but Scotch and Soda NEVER fails. Most any self working card trick.
I have an 11 y.o. and an 8 y.o. who are always making up their own tricks - some very cheesy but cute. Thanks for the ideas on some of the beginning stuff to buy for them. My 11 y.o. is already very good at the money in the ear trick.

I am hoping to dress the both up as magicians for Halloween if they will go for it. The 11 y.o. is a girl and the 8 y.o. is a boy!
1.) Torn and Restored 2000 - Ken Kuroki
2.) Tokyo Penetration - Ryu Susato
3.) Recap (although this uses some sleight of hand and misdirection)
4.) Out of the World - Paul Curry's original version
5.) Las Vegas Leaper - Paul Harris

Best,
Charles
PS: As regard to the OP's post about Tenyo items, I do have one, out of the many that I have, called the scratchcard. I believe it is a variation of the american trick "Predicta." Please correct me if I am wrong.
I’m a beginner too. Here’s the list of best received
biggest response listed first.

Hocus Pocus Cut and restore (Rope, very old, Tarbell, Daryl)
But after tying ends together, looks like trick failed, then slide off knot.

Professor’s Nightmare (rope, old and cheap, easy reset)

Entourage (Newer, gimmicked, easy to handle and reset)

Two Dollar Window (Newer , gimmicked, easy to handle and reset)

Perfect Pen tear through bill is “accident” Pen can be looked at.
Message: Posted by: Justin Impossible (Jul 30, 2007 08:48AM)
For all of my student's I have them working on a specific curriculum of tricks. I use these specific tricks as it teaches them how to hold their hands, where to look, ect. So here are the four that I teach first: 2 dollar bill switch, professors nightmare, sponge balls, cups and balls. By the time they roll into cups and balls they understand how to hold there hands, false transfers, and the what not!
Good luck
J
2 things come to mind:

THING 1:
If I were to pick tricks, I might NOT give them something like invisible deck. This teaches them nothing and exposes a secret to a nubie that should not be exposed.

They need to learn how to do magic not how to do a certain trick.
I would teach something like 2-in-the-hand one-in-the pocket.

Though a simple trick, it can be studied extensively using patter, misdirection, focus, active and passive body language, etc.

When they learn how to do this well, they will understand what magic is, how it works, how to manipulate people's experiences, etc.

Then you can up the ante and offer different/better slights to enhance the illusion and to get them thinking deeper about magic.

Those that want to learn the in-depth stuff will blossom from there. Those that have no real interest in being any good will learn a good trick.

THING 2:

On the other hand, maybe it would be better teaching the invisible deck.
Then you're not really teaching anything from the perspective that "real magic" is understanding misdirection, body language, etc.

Perhaps these real secrets should stay secrets until the person decides to push further.

Now I cannot decide...
Hm,

Well, if you are really beginning in magic I would definitely advice to buy the following things:

1. Thump Tip (which was my entrance too the real world of magic)
2. Svengali Deck (relatively easy too learn, amazing, and always useful)
3. Some fun close up trick that tempts you to practice, like color changing knifes.

At the moment I`ve stepped of buying single effects at a magic shop. I`ve purchased the Tarbell course and Tarr`s "Now you see it, now you don`t". If you really want to get into learning magic, at some point you`ll find out that you have to master sleight of hand before you are able to show any good effect in a perfect way. I think I`m at that point now, and I have to confess that it is pretty hard too keep up the dicipline.
Matchbox penetration is a good one. I started off with that!
Thanks again for the advice everyone. I still can't believe I'm getting responses to this post which is quite a few months old now.

I have purchased the good old thumb tip and even bought one of Jeff McBrides rainbow streamers whilst he was here at a convention.

Does anyone know if Paul Currie's "Out of this World" is published in a specific book, DVD. I would like to track this down. Will google.

Thanks

Andrew
I think it is on John Mendoza's DVD titled "My Best, Vol. One". Is it the routine where the reds and blacks separate? John's routine is good, although I have never seen the original Paul Currie routine.
I think the Cups and balls is the way to go, it takes a little bit more practice but when you have a routine down, oh, the reactions and entertainment you can give is superb. Not only is the c&b a classic, you learn the basic principles of magic thru them as well.
I know this post is a little old, but can I vote for a Svengali Deck? Yeah, it may be cliche. But IMHO for a lay audience it can really be entertaining. Do a Svengali routine, drop the deck in your pocket, do something else -coins, cups whatever, then go back to your pocket and deck switch. Proceed to then blow them away with Out of This World. Just my two cents.

BTW - the original Paul Curry Out of this World routine is published in his book Magician's Magic. It is still in print and widely available.
Do something that always works, in other words a self working one. There are some great tricks in Magic with Cards which are self working and are ideal for a beginner.
1. Invisible Deck
2. Twisted Sisters
3. Scotch and Soda
4. Spongeball routine
5. CUt and restored rope

doing these allone must get you money:)
-Out of this world (the versión for two people)
2-appearing the four aces
3-Invisible Deck
4-CUt and restored rope
5-reading mind from book
[quote]On May 22, 2007, 61magic wrote:
Andrew, stay away from the "magic set" type stuff. People will not take you serious enough if you pull our a bunch of plastic stuff.
Remember the top 5 WOW tricks for one person may not fit the personality for another. . . . [/quote]

One exception to magic sets might be Shin Lim's EVOLUSHIN magic set. Read the reviews and consider. There's a very extensive and thorough review of the set here in The Magic Café: [url]https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=728508&forum=109[/url] . The set seems to be more of a compilation of utilities and packet tricks rather than a bunch of plastic crap. It also comes with Mr. Lim's instructions and tutorials on DVD.
[quote]On Apr 28, 2021, Forza Azzurri wrote:
[quote]On May 22, 2007, 61magic wrote:
Andrew, stay away from the "magic set" type stuff. People will not take you serious enough if you pull our a bunch of plastic stuff.[/quote]
One exception to magic sets might be Shin Lim's EVOLUSHIN magic set. Read the reviews and consider. There's a very extensive and thorough review of the set here in The Magic Café:
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=728508&forum=109
The set seems to be more of a compilation of utilities and packet tricks rather than a bunch of plastic crap. It also comes with Mr. Lim's instructions and tutorials on DVD. [/quote]
Thanks for posting a link to my detailed review of Shin Lim's Evolushin magic kit.

I agree that it is very much the exception to the rule as far as magic sets go. It doesn't come with the usual, brightly coloured, cheap-and-nasty, toy-like tricks that most magic kits have. Instead it has genuinely useful gimmicks, and easy-to-perform visual magic.

It also comes with solid video instruction from Shin himself (streaming video online, not DVD). Definitely recommended.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/MWNxS9S.jpg[/img]
Message: Posted by: Aintnothingbutachickenwing (May 15, 2021 01:37PM)
Invisible deck for me and the shining! This trick kills!!
Anything that can be examine by your audience.