(Close Window)
Topic: Sad passing of great caricaturist . A . Hirschfeld dies at 99
There was a sad passing of one of the world's greatest caricaturists on monday January 21, 2003. He captured the essence of performers, such as Charlie Chaplin, Jerry Seinfeld, and many other Hollywood greats. He also did some of the world's greatest magicians for the last 50 years. He will be missed in the Hollywood and Broadway communities, as well as in the world of magic. His legend will live on.
Hey Doc...
You may appreciate this one. I have a hand-numbered/hand-signed lithograph of Hirschfeld's drawing of Bill Cosby hanging in our house.

How'd I get it?

The TV station where I used to work bought reruns of "The Cosby Show," when they first came out. Viacom, the syndicator, commissioned Hirschfeld to draw Cosby, and gave a copy of his work to every station that purchased it. Our station was one of them.

So, I walked into my boss' office one day...and there's a Hirschfeld lithograph laying up against the wall on the floor. I knew what it was immediately. He didn't.

I said, "Do you mind if I borrow this and take it home?" He replied, "You can have it."

I did, and I do. :approve:
I remember reading an interview with Hirschfeld in which he talked about seeing Houdini perform when he was young.
I also always associated him with magic because of his trademark puzzle/trick: hiding his daughter Nina's name in his drawings.
Was very sad to hear that he had passed away.
Do they know how he died? I heard details were sketchy...
Yes, it is sad for all of the theater world to lose such a great talent, but he was 99 years old.
In all his caricatures, he "secretly" wrote his daughter Nina's first name. The more he liked the celebrity he was drawing, the more times the name NINA appeared in the caricature.