(Close Window)
Topic: Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolkit DVD
This looks like it could be really good. MJM has it:
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/spongeball-toolkit-w-dvd-by-gosh-p-4481.html

Some of the contributions are credited to Aldo Colombini, Gary Darwin, Simon Lovell, Dean of Magicians George Schindler, Brad Burt and even Al Goshman.

The DVD is a definitive collection of "how-to" information for anyone who wants to perform sponge ball magic. It will be useful for all skill levels, from the beginner to the advanced performer. It is a toolbox of ideas, moves, vanishes, routines and advice, and it comes packaged with a fantastic set of sponge balls, a purse frame. Other props include a flat sponge, odd color sponge ball, rabbit, silk poke gimmick
I ordered it today. I liked the fact it came with props and I've heard Steve Darci is very good with the sponges.

I hope it's as thorough as they say it is.
The DVD is excellent, and the props are supurb! As for the props, I reveived 4 red SBs, 1 red flat one, 1 yellow SB, a medium 3D Sponge bunny, a purseframe, and the poke. The instruction by Steve is excellent, there are outakes (including entire performances) of his act, very funny bits, and special video instruction segments by those mentioned in Christopher's post, this is an excellent value!

Tony
Hi Tony,
How many moves and routines are taught? I love the fact that they included the props with this. Is this designed to be a thorough teaching on sponge magic, or more of a 'teach a routine' type DVD?
I ordered this Because it comes with the props. I am also going to get this for my 10 year old cousin who is learning magic.
I wish there is a demo...I already have a lot of spongeball material and would like to see the variety and newness offered.
I have Steve Dari's videos and love his sponge ball routine's
I actually got to see him when he came to NY and gave a lecture

Is there anything different on this one?
Don
It is difficult to say how many vanishes or techniques are taught because there are several different people teching their handlings, and there is overlap. An estimate would be about a dozen vanishes and variations, about the same for effects, and about 8 longer routines.

There is a little overlap between the L&L videos and this, but very little. This set was put out by Goshman, and not L&L, but Louis was asked and gave permission.

This set is in itself a nice course on spongeball magic.

Tony
Sold out!! That sucks. I was just about to buy.
I'm not sure about this one. I saw Dacri's three vol set a while back and was rather underwhelmed by his sponge ball vanish. I'm not sure he is the best person to teach sponge ball magic.

Though since there are other performers on the DVD and the fact that the props are included, it's probably a good deal. Just as long as people don't think that Dacri's technique should be imitated.

Iain.
This looks interesting. It is also back in stock.

Mark.
[quote]
On 2007-05-30 09:06, Iain Moran wrote:
I'm not sure about this one. I saw Dacri's three vol set a while back and was rather underwhelmed by his sponge ball vanish. I'm not sure he is the best person to teach sponge ball magic.

Though since there are other performers on the DVD and the fact that the props are included, it's probably a good deal. Just as long as people don't think that Dacri's technique should be imitated.

Iain.
[/quote]

I agree with Iain as I also was not impressed with his sponge ball vanish although his sponge rabbit routine is very nice. I think that one of the best sponge ball learning videos/dvds was/is by Brad Burt. He thoroughly teaches several excellent vanishes and routines. Although I also agree with Iain that for the money and the supplies provided, this sponge ball kit is worth getting.

Best regards,

Michael
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (May 30, 2007 10:05PM)
I have not watched the DVDs yet, but it might be hard to beat the World Greatest magic Series from L&L.

Andy
Dacri has done his "martian Spongeballs" evrywhere, including Vegas and The Tonight Show.

I agree he flashed on his L&L shoot, but his nails were so darn long, maybe that's why.

With the other performers on the DVD, there should be an idea or two worth considering.
I received this today ( MJM Magic ships so fast!!! )

The props are Goshman and so of course are frist rate. You get red balls, a yellow one, some flat red ones, a red bunny and a purse frame.

The DVD is a lot of fun. And there is a lot on it. It shows many live performances and I think that makes a big difference because I love watching seasoned pro's work. He perofrms at thew Magic castle and also shows various venue clips including one on the Jerry Lewis Telethon.

It's chock full of ideas and O think you get far more than you pay for ( with MJM's discount I only paid $21.78 and got free shipping-WOW).

I give this a thumbs up.
Chris, can you share a little of how the routines come across as more than just your standard sponge ball routine? (i.e. surprise endings, patter, etc.)
I just have been crusing through it. I already have a routine, so I was looking for new ideas. There is great footage of Al Goshman performing and explaining his classic routine.

Gary Darwin teaches a card prodcution and vanish with an idea I had not heard of to make it convincing ( so you avoid the flash )

I think this would be a great compliment to the World Greatest Spongeball DVD by L&L.
I ordered the kit. I just hope his fingernails are trimmed better than they were on the world's greatest magic spongeball dvd. I tried to show my wife his routine and she couldn't watch it because she was so freaked out by his fingernails. I had to agree with her.
I've bought it at Madhatter at $15,95, they shipped my order really fast! I've also got a free Dvd with my order!
Im waiting it, I think it will arrive tomorrow! I'm happy that I've read good reviews!
I just watched this. It's a very good dvd for learning sponge balls. Nothing new in terms of the routines but solid material all around. Flat sponge ball routine was weak but the flat sponges do allow for some creativity in your existing routine.
This a great package. All you need to put together a tried and tested, entertaining sponge ball routine.

Worth more then the asking price in my view.

This is the ultimate in spoon feeding. DVD, routines and props!
I should have mentioned one other thing. There is no dvd menu which is annoying. It makes it difficult to find the section you're after.
Mine had a menu. It isn't the greatest menu in the world, but it seemed to work ok on my dvd.
Hmmm I'll double check. I only had the option to play.
My mistake, I was at the title menu, not the root menu. It is all neatly laid out.
I just got this, as well, from my local dealer. For the beginner, run, don't walk, to get this!

First, a perspective on my my level of experience: I'm a beginner amateur at all of this. Although I've been performing in front of audiences since I was a child (music, some paid), magic is a new endeavor (under a year). I don't have a sponge routine yet, as I'm still learning and practicing the basic sleights, but I've done the Goshman 3d sponge bunnies routine to great success with lay spectators.

With that background in mind -- I absolutely love the approach taken by this DVD. The "overlap" that others here have noted, I would classify instead as valuable repetition, alternative handlings and integration of these in the various performances. For example, although not presented in true linear fashion, there are several alternative handlings of the retention vanish, and even some tips for practicing or "nailing" it by Goshman in his vintage footage. The repetition is the biggest plus here IMHO.

I stayed up half the night watching this (something I didn't do with my Eddy Ray SB DVD). My retention vanish markedly improved just in the hours since watching this DVD, according to my daughter, whose retention vanish with these things is darn-near perfect.

I have the L&L SB DVD, but haven't yet seen it, so I can't compare. Had this toolkit come sans props, I still would consider it a great buy. And, the basic Benson bowl routine on the DVD, to me, is a great plus.
Of note, the sponges that come with the kit are not super softs unfortunately.
My reaction to the DVD is less than "good". This is a beginner's title. If this is your first introduction to Sponge Balls, then you will learn (eventually) many, if not all the basics. I say "eventually" because the repetition and repeats of the moves are meant to eat up time, rather than, instruct. In contrast to well thought out and produced videos, such as, Ammar or the Royal Magic offerings, this DVD seemed to me a hodge-podge of edits drawn together from various sources. Flamboyant Dacri is more a "cut and paste host", rather than, a knowledge provider. In many of the edits, Dacri was cut mid-scene probably to cover a flub. The scene was immediately continued, in some cases, with lower audio or different angles. If this happened once, one could over look the technique, but it happened many, many times.

To me Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolbox and DVD should be considered a very expensive ($24.95) set of sponge balls and gimmicks.

Sorry,

Nick
[quote]
On 2007-06-14 17:57, NMaggio wrote:
My reaction to the DVD is less than "good". This is a beginner's title. If this is your first introduction to Sponge Balls, then you will learn (eventually) many, if not all the basics. I say "eventually" because the repetition and repeats of the moves are meant to eat up time, rather than, instruct. In contrast to well thought out and produced videos, such as, Ammar or the Royal Magic offerings, this DVD seemed to me a hodge-podge of edits drawn together from various sources. Flamboyant Dacri is more a "cut and paste host", rather than, a knowledge provider. In many of the edits, Dacri was cut mid-scene probably to cover a flub. The scene was immediately continued, in some cases, with lower audio or different angles. If this happened once, one could over look the technique, but it happened many, many times.

To me Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolbox and DVD should be considered a very expensive ($24.95) set of sponge balls and gimmicks.

Sorry,

Nick

[/quote]

It is a beginers kit, but I still got a lot out of it. And it's only about $19-$21.
I picked up the tool kit because of the remarks in this thread. I have always liked sponge ball routines. It is more for beginners, but that was what I took it for in the advertisement. This is a great add to my DVD library. I would say that for the price, even $25, that you get your moneys worth.

Chris
Hi, I have being doing magic as a hobby for many years and my skill on card magic is just average. I have no experience with sponge ball magic and is keen to learn the trick. Could someone advise whether I should buy the Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolkit DVD or Sponge DVD by Jay Noblezada. Thank you.
[quote]
On 2008-01-29 12:03, danielmok wrote:
Hi, I have being doing magic as a hobby for many years and my skill on card magic is just average. I have no experience with sponge ball magic and is keen to learn the trick. Could someone advise whether I should buy the Steve Dacri's Spongeball Toolkit DVD or Sponge DVD by Jay Noblezada. Thank you.
[/quote]

I have both.

Jay's DVD is very good for a beginner and it has the wonderful Gary Darwin section. It comes with 4 spongeballs.

The Dacri Toolkit comes with spongeballs and other tools to do even more ( purse frame, etc. ) And..it has a great Gary Darwin section.

I'd go for the toolkit.
You should also try Ben Salina's DVD for sponge ball tricks.

Ben Salina is an awesome and gifted performer. From what I heard workers out there should get this.
[quote]
On 2008-01-29 15:49, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I have both.

Jay's DVD is very good for a beginner and it has the wonderful Gary Darwin section. It comes with 4 spongeballs.

The Dacri Toolkit comes with spongeballs and other tools to do even more ( purse frame, etc. ) And..it has a great Gary Darwin section.

I'd go for the toolkit.
[/quote]

Thank you for your advise. If I am to buy the Dacri Toolkit, would it be difficult for me to do those sleight of hands since I am new to this? Is the Dacri DVD for beginner and will it teach in detail and at a basic level how to perform those sleight of hands?

I also recently purchase the DVD "In the Beginning there were coins." by Jay. Do you know whether are the sleight of hands taught in this coin DVD similar to those in the Sponge DVD?

Appreciate your advice to all my questions. Thanks.
[quote]
On 2008-01-30 07:35, danielmok wrote:
[quote]
On 2008-01-29 15:49, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I have both.

I'd go for the toolkit.
[/quote]

Thank you for your advise. If I am to buy the Dacri Toolkit, would it be difficult for me to do those sleight of hands since I am new to this? Is the Dacri DVD for beginner and will it teach in detail and at a basic level how to perform those sleight of hands?

I also recently purchase the DVD "In the Beginning there were coins." by Jay. Do you know whether are the sleight of hands taught in this coin DVD similar to those in the Sponge DVD?

Appreciate your advice to all my questions. Thanks.
[/quote]

The Dacri DVD goes from beginner to advanced and you get everything you need in one package. I don't have Jay's coin DVD.
Thanks for the advice. Cheers.
Frank over at the Ambitious Card has these and a nice price too:

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/mSearchResults.cfm?criteria=goshman
For what it is worth I will add my (belated) comment. I think this is a good value DVD with some limitations on quality but that is reflected in the price. There are some really good tips here which, in my opionion, easily compensates for the quality of the videography. As has been mentioned in earlier posts, the balls are not supersofts and it is well worth getting hold of some of those if you don't alerady have them. The purse frame and silk vanisher are a good addition. Overall good value for money.

Philip
Terrific collection of props but, in agreement with several of the posts above, a rather muddled teaching format. With all due respect to the late Mr. Dacri, he was a performer, not a particularly focused teacher. He seemed to enjoy performing his sleights for the camera much more than doing a slow, careful demonstration of HOW he performed them.

Many of the other artists on the disk offer better quality teaching styles.

Taken as a whole, one can learn a great deal about sponge ball work from this DVD and included props. Just not particularly efficiently. Overall, well worth its $20-$25 price.
One of the best things and best value for money that have ever purcahsed.

I usually put a slit in the back of all my sponge balls though so that I can
put them on my nose and explain them away as having bought from the local Joke or
Fancy dress shop as Clowns Noses, that way they don't seem like such strange objects.

William
I am amazed that no one as yet has had anything to say about the section dealing with the Sanada gimmick. If you have not yet used this excellent device for producing and/or vanishing sponges and silks, that is an excellent reason for purchasing the Toolkit. Both Steve and Dan Garrett explain the use of this contrivance extremely well. Even those already familiar with the gimmick may learn something from Dan's use of it.
I happen to think that Gary Darwin's analysis of sponge ball vanishes and productions in the Toolkit is one of the best I have ever seen. I feel that his section upstages Steve's work in this DVD.

Here are a couple of additional thoughts on this subject. I have well over a dozen DVD's in L&L's World's Greatest Magic series. I greatly enjoy most of them, but I was quite disappointed with their sponge ball DVD. IMO another extremely mediocre sponge ball DVD is THe Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic" produced by Magic Makers. I feel that I really wasted my money on that one. It isn't even in the same league as the SBTK. Finally, I happen to strongly agree with a prior posting that had high praise for Brad Burt's All About Sponges video

I agree that the Toolkit is definitely slanted towards less experienced sponge ball workers, but for the low price I think it would still be a nice addition to any sponge worker's library.
I already perfomed SB magic before I picked up this set and still managed to find a few gems to add to my routine.
I picked up this Toolbox a while ago, and in around a couple of days I had a solid spongeball routine which was perfect for my opener in my act. I have been getting GREAT reactions with my routine, which is mainly constructed from the ideas on this DVD.

I wanted to dabble into other forms of magic, magic other than just cards. This toolbox offers much more than expected for the price, the teaching is very good, the routines offered are superb, in my opinion. Of course, I'm very much a newbie to sponges so I may be wrong!

The only downside is that the structure of this DVD is a bit so-so, the vanishes/productions/routines etc. are taught in a disorganised way, but still, a couple of viewings of this DVD and you'll know what you want to learn, so you can skip right to those chapters.

The props are very good quality, and for the price, you can't really beat it! :)
I bought this for my daughter, who is becoming interested in magic, and thought a beginner set of props and an introductory DVD would be useful. On the whole I feel this was a bit of a wasted purchase. As many have noted, the teaching style of the DVD is poor. Mr. Dacri (who I was sorry to learn recently passed away) is not a tremendous teacher, and most of the routines he offers on the DVD are simply a repetition of his one signature move, which is a retention vanish. It is a ridiculously clean move (esp if you sit on his right, which is where not coincidentally he always positions the spectator). I found his personal style and long, manicured nails a bit distracting, lol. There are a couple other people performing on the DVD who have some valuable instruction to impart, but on the whole, this DVD is poorly produced. The props are not impressive. The rabbit sponge is a cut out and looks cheap. The coin purse is fine but very small, and a little hard to open. The sponge balls included are rather small (and are smaller than the ones Dacri uses through most of the DVD). I feel like a sponge ball routine has a stronger impact when the balls are larger, as the production is more visual and startling. On the whole I cannot say I highly recommend this, but if (like myself) you are introducing a young person to sponge ball magic, a set of slightly undersized sponge balls and some standard props is not a bad way to begin.
Is the footage on this dvd different from:

Dacri's L&L DVD set and
L&L Spongeball DVD

I was impressed with both of these two dvd's and put together my routine from the Dacri DVD set. I was impressed with the L&L Spongeball dvd because it had so much more than their regular DVDs, many more performers - so I was worried that the Toolbox DVD might have some of the same footage.

Is it the same or different?
Its a different set.

I bought years ago the toolkit. It wasn't all the money worth!
The dvd looks like a soap: Not serieus at all and you have to wait before you learn the next effect. And the probs are .... uh there! But they are not special.
After all I got a lot of regret of this buy!

If got the second chance, I bought the spongeball dvd from Ben Salina and a box super/ultra soft spongeballs.
Just my two cents
If I was just starting out, and I wanted sponge ball stuff...WOW! Look at just what Penguin has:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/search.php?q=sponge+balls

Doug
Thanks for the replies. Doug, you recommend the Jensen books? What do you like about them?
[quote]On Dec 28, 2014, Tim Friday wrote:
Doug, you recommend the Jensen books? What do you like about them? [/quote]

I don't have them, but the price alone is a factor. I read the contents of the ads, and really, this is just another great source of info! I hear there is a third book planned.

Doug