(Close Window)
Topic: New linking finger ring routine
Has anyone downloaded the new linking finger ring doc from the trickshop, new to the trickshop that is. Any reviews? What do you think of it?
How about a link?
Al Koran's classic
http://www.trickshop.com
By the way Pete, have your linking ring set, beautiful work!
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jun 2, 2007 05:02PM)
I wish the rings on the cover actually were Himber Rings.
I will download this, but if you buy the Linking Finger Rings from me and Joe Porper, this routine is included. However, the version Koran marketed, through Harry Stanley's Unique Studio was similar to the Grant routine that DID NOT use a Himber-style ring, but merely a finger ring made like a linking ring Key Ring.
It is very well described and SIMILAR to but not exactly the same as the Koran handling as I mentioned above. Well worth buying and studying. You could use this in a pro situation.
Many thanks Pete.
[quote]
On 2007-06-02 18:02, THEGUY26 wrote:
I wish the rings on the cover actually were Himber Rings.
[/quote]

Check out the Sterling Silver Split Ring at the bottom of the same page.

http://www.trickshop.com/linking_finger_rings.html
The greatest, most practical and commercial 'linking finger ring' routine I have
ever seen was shown to me many years ago by my friend and Ken Brooke's 'right-hand
man, Roy Johnson. He has never published this routine but, he told me that it got him more work than any other effect he had ever performed! He has since taught it to Geoff Durham who uses it regularly. It's a non-nonsense, minimalist routine and a
superb piece of magical construction, using an enlisted spectator as a 'witness' for the rest of the audience. If you doubt my word, just ask Wayne Dobson what he thinks about it. A thing of beauty!
Steve,
Do you know if the Johnson routine you are referring to is at all related to his "Suparings" routine?
No. Roy's 'Suparings' is a linking three bangle routine; and again, beautifully
structured. It has natural progression and tempo and, a visual climax to die for!
I bought the download just to study another performance and look for handling tips. It's not bad, and I personally enjoyed the read.

But, If you're actually going to do a linking finger ring routine, I wouldn't do this one.

Buy a Himber. Even a cheap one will fool, but you do get what you pay for.
Nick Einhorn has an excellent, very workable version in his World Tour lecture notes (set 3). Nick's routines are all designed with the professional in mind and all three of his booklets are worthy of your attention. http://www.einhorn.co.uk/?q=node/23
[quote]
On 2007-06-23 09:01, Steve Cook wrote:
The greatest, most practical and commercial 'linking finger ring' routine I have
ever seen was shown to me many years ago by my friend and Ken Brooke's 'right-hand
man, Roy Johnson. He has never published this routine but, he told me that it got him more work than any other effect he had ever performed! He has since taught it to Geoff Durham who uses it regularly.[/quote]

I'll be publishing a book early next year containing some of my signature pieces and the Himber Ring routine that you refer to, Steve, will be one of them. It is, as you say, based on Roy Johnson's ground-breaking work and the shape of my routine is almost identical to his. I've made a number of amendments to suit my style of working.

The ring that Roy and I both use is slightly unusual and is to my design. That, too, will be featured in the book.

I have Roy's permission and blessing in publishing it.
I bought a cheap Himber for study sake, but I have no instructions on how the effect works.
Great opportunity to develop something new and original. Just start to play with it. (If you win the lottery, then you can buy my "Ghostly Linking Finger Rings" from http://www.porperoriginals.com
I've got a cheap himber ring for study sake too... never could understand how to present it. Plus, its so hard to find the T**P. the ring is uniform throughout. grrr.
Joe Porper told me that at Magic Live, Gaetan Bloom and Kevin James BOTH went crazy over my Ghostly Linking Finger Rings and each bought a set.
It's essential to know how to mark a Himber Ring so that the gimmickry can be found at a glance. After 30 years of working with Himbers of all designs, I've come up with a way that works, and I'll be detailing that my new book. It will be called Professional Secrets of Geoffrey Durham. I'll be launching it at the Blackpool Convention next February.
With my ring design the "gimmickry" can be found easily wihout looking at the ring.
Sounds terrific.
We are very happy with the design/and workmanship. Check it out at http://www.porperoriginals.com
[quote]
I'll be detailing that my new book. It will be called Professional Secrets of Geoffrey Durham. I'll be launching it at the Blackpool Convention next February.
[/quote]

I can't wait Geoffrey! :)
Since my book PROFESSIONAL SECRETS was published three months ago, I've had a lot of enquiries from readers who would like to purchase a Himber Ring to my design. There's good news. David Shakarian has agreed to make six rings. They will be expensive and possibly not ready until the Autumn (he's a very busy guy) but they are definitely on their way. One has already been reserved by a well-known American professional. If any readers are interested, feel free to email me at geoffrey@geoffreydurham.com.

http://www.geoffreydurham.com
Pete, is possible to see the rings (Ghost Finger ring)a little bit closer? At $700, I would like to see them up close.

JerryB
What's your email address? give me a few days, am swamped.
The "Ghostly" set are fantastic - well done, Pete!