(Close Window)
Topic: Bisection By: Andrew Mayne
I was just at weirdthings.com and saw a new animation of Andrew performing Bisection. It looks kinda like a really cheap version of Steve Fearson's Laser (not really a bad thing.)
If you had Pocket Sawing in Half, you could combine the two and have a really cool routine.
Does anyone have it yet?
:sawingchick:
Where did you see the clip? I am still not quite sure I understand what this effect is?
I only read the copy on Hank Lee's site
Go to http://www.weirdthings.com and view Andrew Mayne's image clip of "Bisection"......

Thumbs up...and very inexpensive!
I did not see any video clips of the effect, just a fast moving gif which does not show me the actual effect.

A follow up:

This is one rude dude!

I went to his site and did not see any clear visuals of the effect. I also did not get his pocket sawing gif. I do not see the trick.
Anyway I asked for clarification beyond the gif and got the rudest response ever.

I would say do not deal with this guy.

There was no call for his attitude. So I forward his response to a simple question because as they say, "Give good customer service and the client will tell his friends. Give bad customer service and the client will tell EVERYONE not to deal with you."

See below

"You're the first one to tell me that you're having trouble understanding
What the trick is about.

Maybe it's not for you.

Andrew

Andrew Mayne"

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 9:41PM -0500, Mark Ghia wrote:
> I am looking for clarification on your effects.
> Bisection
> The animated gif does not tell me what the effect really. Your
> description is vague.
Doesn't seem very rude to me. He's telling you that if you don't understand it than maybe it's not something for you.

Maybe I'm missing the rudeness...?
Yeah, I agree with Corey. I can completely make the effect out by looking at the gif. The jacket covers the upper half of his body and when lowered further, the upper half of his body has vanished.
You must also know Andrew to understand the inflection he might have used to say this...sometimes it doesn't translate well on the net.....It wouldn't be Andy if he hadn't responded like this.....

I aqcuired Andy's products and will continue to do so in the future....Rudeness and clarity included!

Got gif.? Got it? Good!

Gents it's less than 20.00dollars...?

Here is the description....

"At any time during your presentation make half of your body disappear and then in a fraction of a second make it reappear..."

"Got gif?"

Respectfully submitted,
r2
I think it looks great...
What's the link?

Can't see any gif of that.

If possible, please post the address.

Thanks
Hello.
Just go to http://www.weirdthings.com and on the homepage, click on the link on the far right and you'll see it's the first thing on the page with a description and an animation right next to it.
It looks good from the animation and description. I always like whatever it may be when I get something made by him, so I might try to purchase this in the future.
Just my 2 cents..
Mack Magic
Can someone say top of pants shell glued to the back? Just Kidding :lol:

Jakks
I think that it looks pretty cool.
You just don't get it.
It is a GIF! A gif can be edited to remove any negative flow of an effect.

On Hank Lee’s site it does not show the gif.

SO based on the Copy it is vague. It does not say what half of the body vanishes or what material can be used. (Limited to the coat) There aren’t any reviews out yet so I am supposed to make my decision on the product based on how cheap the price is?

Funny, no one has yet to review the product. So you all like the picture but how many have and use it?

I am amazed you people base the QUALITY on a GIF! I could show you many miracles using the power of photos made into gifs but they might not be how the audience sees the actual effect.

Rey REY, the PRICE of the product means it is ok to do things different?

"Gents it's less than 20.00dollars...? "

So what does that mean? They are plans. I was not asking for much, just a quick clarification. Listen, if I was on my phone text messaging someone quick I might say, “I am out, how might I help you, what don’t you understand?”
NOT ‘It might not be for you, you are the first who does not understand’ That my friend, IS rude.

Rey Rey why "You must also know Andrew to understand the inflection he might have used to say this...sometimes it doesn't translate well on the net...It wouldn't be Andy if he hadn't responded like this... "

I do not KNOW ANDREW and that is the point.
You are right; one can read different things in an email. It is the job of the person writing correspondence to make sure the words can't be looked at the wrong way.

When someone asks for clarification, you do not blow him or her off or make a condescending remark when they needed further dialog.

I COULD CARE LESS IF YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTOOD ALL. I WANTED MORE INFORMATION AND DID NOT EXPECT A BLOW OFF TO MY EMAIL!

PLEASE! If this product were $200 you would all be asking for more info. Give me a break.

I am sorry ya'll, some of his other effects have been poorly reviewed on this forum and I need more before I even think of buying one of his plans.
Hey mghia,

Calm down buddy. I agree, alot of people here are basing their opinion on an animated gif, but they possibly DON'T KNOW it's a gif, so you might have to excuse them.

I, like you, would like to see a clearer 'view' of this effect and I agree that the GIF isn't a way to go with previewing magic tricks, unless it's frame-rate is fast - but that's a different story.

The people here got side-tracked by the mail you put up and ended up talking about that - it happens, forget about it.

Like you, I hope someone puts up a decent review of this product!

Take care and all the best :wavey:

Logan
Haha... Jakks... I was just about to write that shell of pants to back thing just now. hahahaha... Looks like you beat me to it. But you gotta admit, it looks pretty much like that. ahahahaha... Although I gotta say it does look good.
mghia-

NOONE has used it yet. It isn't even shipping yet. Geez...these days of the 21st Century, everyone is just relying on demo videos. Back in the day, you DID have to rely on a 'vague description'. Andrew gave his reasons for making a .gif instead of a video, so I doubt you will see one any time soon.

The effect per the .gif goes something like this: Take a jacket and hold it in front of you, covering your upper half. When you lower it, your upper half is gone, top of the pants visible above the jacket.

Is that better??
I think that it looks good, even though it is an animated gif. The only downfall is, that if your arms are holding the jacket/coat, and your upper body "vanishes", what's keeping the jacket from falling on the ground?
Duh, magic! :lol:

Jakks :rotf:
Good point, KC! Never really thought about it like that.
Tell you what Mghia..let's put this one to bed...it has grown tired....

I shall buy a manuscript for you and send it to you for free..just to ease the pain from the insult you might have felt from Andrew's email..

Please pm me your address I am not kidding?
I have a spare 20.00 dollars.....
Say Rey, you wouldn't have a spare $40 now, would you?

Just kidding! What a guy...
Rey Rey if you are feeling in a good mood do you have a spare $399 I need one of those self bending spoon real real bad.
Thanks buddy!
:innocent:
I just recieved about 30 emails and many many pm's some were from the same person...

Please do not ever pm me more than once on the same issue...that was just ridiculous!

The above offer was only to MGHIA as a way to reconcile the issue!

No one else will be offered this FREE Deal UNDERSTAND you crazy people?

I guess this was my fault and I shall be more cautious with my graciousness in the future! :bawl:
I admire your sense of responsibility Rey Rey, a lesson to all of us.

All the best,

Logan
Thank you Logan for the nice comments...most appreciated!

FOlks? Mark Ghia and myself have come to an agreement and we have reconciled the issue with a fair deal for both sides....

I am going to recieve the manuscript for "Bisection" from Andrew Mayne, post my honest non-biased review of the bit o' business.......

The review was the original idea behind this thread so I shall accommodate the query....

p.s. Please check out MGHIA's website...it has some interesting alchemic magic ideas for anyone desiring to put a twist on their presentations....

Very keen indeed!@ "Can I say Keen and still not be considered a Square?"

By best regards to both sides of this issue...Most respectfully submitted,
I'm outta here!
R2
I was only joking Rey Rey, I can bend normal spoon anyway. ;) I look forward to your review as this trick looks interesting. As for the people who sent multiple PM's to Rey Rey, are you mad? My post was in jest.
Ok, I understand you feel he was being rude. I highly doubt that ,but have no problem with it. What I do have a problem with is you did not address a message of this nature to Andrew before posting on a message board.

Take care,
Kyle
Kyle, I DID address to Andrew with a follow up and his response was even worse so I posted.
mg
Hey Brother ReyRey,

I am so looking forward to your review of this illusion. I tend to like Andy’s thinking. I have seen some pros take and build an idea or two of his and use it as the central illusion to their acts.

I think that the animated gif at his website is fairly clear in illustrating what the illusion is. The top half of a person vanishes after being covered by a drape of some kind. I honestly don’t understand all the quibbling about the description and the animated gif. It seems very straightforward.

The ad copy on his web site states, ”At any time during your show make half your body disappear in a fraction of a second. Just as quickly as your body vanished, it returns.” The animated gif shows the top part of the body (head, arms, chest) vanishing after being covered by a topcoat. What is missing? What is not to understand?

I am looking forward to ReyRey’s review.
To me, the effect of bisection is pretty clear. Of course, a GIF isn't worth a video, editing of all the smooth of the moves (there's in my opinion much more problem to understand Andrew's Pocket Sawing-in-Half watching indeed a real poor GIF this time: http://www.weirdthings.com/sawing.html )
Your review, ReyRey, is expected for sure.
I am headed back to Phoenix this coming Friday so please give me a little bit O' time my Brothers/Sisters in Magic!

I too am looking forward to recieving my manuscript from Andy!

I am going to pass along the manuscript to Steve Brooks for his review as well.

Let us remember that in any presentations you must give your audiences the preparatory command or the convincer before springing any effect on your groups......Merely cutting to the chase leads to only a chase....

p.s. I have just finished the book, "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho (non magic).

Two huge thumbs up for anyone wishing to put meaning into your presentations....

"A story about the most magical of all journeys: the quest to to fulfill your destiny. A way to passionately commit yourself to claim the life of your dreams" Anthony Robbins (recommendation selection).

See you soon!
I'm not sure how the illusion is supposed to play, but I find it incredibly funny to look at. It's like some sort of surreal visual gag. I laughed the upper part of my body off.

"There's, in my opinion, much more problem to understand Andrew's Pocket Sawing-in-Half watching indeed a real poor GIF this time"

I looked at the GIF. The effect is apparently that you lean forward. Hope that helps.
Once again, I doubt Andrew's intentions were to be rude, but in any case, thank you for clearing that up. I am happy to hear you did write him back first.

Take care,
Kyle
The pocket sawing in half gif is terrible. It does not do the effect justice. It really looks like the top half of your body slides off the bottom half if done right and not like in the gif.
http://www.magiclegends.com/media/mmpocketsawinginhalf2.jpg
The above picture makes it look a little better.
Sorry but even in that photo it still looks obvious what's going on. I'm sure a non-magician would catch on in an instant. Maybe if the person leaned their head back more the illusion would be stronger. I don't know. Still just looks like a guy leaning forward to me. Maybe as a gag. But only maybe.
I thinks the idea is interestings, but needs to be more well covered. I mean, just imagine, you wear a jacket and you do the same thing.

By looking the picture try to imagine someone with a jacket (that is a bit gimmicked), and this way the illusion will be very clear that you have separated your body in two parts, due of the bottom of the jacket that will appear in the bottom front part on the board !!!

This will really create the illusion of two separate parts. Psychologicaly, the simplicity of the method will be more covered if the brain recorded this little visual jacket convincer.

Food for thought at least. I hope my idea is clear. If not, contact me by PM. I will try to explain better.:)

Humbly

KUFFS

http://www.psychomagie.com
Okay, first of all, I believe what is being said is that a product cannot truly be seen on an animated gif. Photo editing is normally done on gifs so it's not a true measuring stick for an effect. I also would like a review of this. I will be recieving it in my shop in the next couple days so I will post a review then. I am a firm believer however in reviewing a product only after performing it for laypeople. Many times have I read an effect, instructions, practiced, and loved it only to show it to laymen and get no reaction for it. The reverse is also true. On the same note, FYI, I really appreciate in videos how they put real life performances in there, better than in a studio with only a camera man, or a studio audience that could be anyone. I think the trick should be reviewed by the genuine reaction of a layperson. By layperson I don't necessarily mean to magic, but a layperson to that effect. At any rate, I will review this when I get it and perform it.

As far as Andrew Mayne's comments posted before, I do agree that they were uncalled for and he seemed like he did not wish to help at all. A response could have been that the gif is all that is available at this time, which would have been to the point as well. His sharpness may be due to the number of emails he receives talking about the gif. This however is not an excuse, but could be a reason.

Owner
Fort Myers Magic
I, for one, would like to inform you all that his gif of Bisection is EXACTLY what it looks like in real life. On top of owning the booklet, Andrew Mayne would never, ever put up a gif that didn't look like his actual effect. He is trying to show what the illusion looks like, and he did. Listening to Andrew on the Magic Radio Show, I know that he would never try to boost sales through photo editing. He gives you exactly what he shows. Also, I know he is one of the most creative thinkers and has a method that is so simple, it will blow anyone away. If you want a really strong, strong effect, purchase Bisection at http://www.weirdthings.com. :bikes:
I agree with bumble. The .gif is exaclty what the effect looks like when performed. It is incredible, and Andrew Mayne is a creative genius. I got my copy on Friday Jan. 31st, 2003. The gif and explanation are exactly what happens during the effect. It's not hyped up like many other effects that are sold. Anyone who can't figure the effect out from looking at the gif and reading the explanation is truly limiting his/her ability to think creatively. Andrew Mayne is one of a few who is trying to create a new era of illusions. I'd rather have this than a big box with a lady painted on the front. Bisection is the definition of illusion. Andrew deserves much more credit than he is getting. I would have bought this effect at $30, it is that good!!! :kitty:
Just remember bumbleface, I do not know Andrew or know his character. More website owners should always assume that people do know the quality of product or character.
There is just too much stuff being popped out to sell to hungry magicians hoping to buy a miracle for $15.
Others have agreed that a GIF is not the true measure of how an effect looks in public. And when someone asks them for further clarification they should be NICE about it even if they figured they did the best job on the web page as they could.

Frankly it matters what the potential customer thinks not what the salesman believes.

For all of you who chimed in that the GIF make it clear what the effect was, you missed the point. It does not show you enough to know how it LOOKS.

Ask yourself how many times the trick you purchased really was not as written in the copy? Oh sure, you can always go back and see how the copy claims match up, but you can also see how the trick was hardly the practical effect as you read it.

It is no different for an edited gif image. There is too much that can be left out that might make an effect too obvious or more of a gag and yes, even a great trick.

BUT he can not assume I know the guy, his character or his products. The second response he sent me he was bragging about some radio show and how much he is liked and respected. I still to this day do not know what show or how that made any difference to how he responded to me.

One of the first things you learn in essay writing is to assume the reader has no idea what you are talking about.
Mghia, so do you wanna vanish half of your body in the blink of an eye or not? This conversation could go on for ever and it's actually getting ridiculous. Andrew makes a living by creating magic, and writing illusions books and plans. If he didn't feel it was worth putting out on the market he would not have. In the Bisection plans Andrew even says it took him hundreds of dollars, and over a year to make this illusion possible and economical. Andrew is very well respected. Remember, you're not buying a gimmick, you're buying a plan (book). You're buying the secret on how to perform and build the illusion. If it's not possible, he would not be selling it. Oh the radio show is at: http://www.themagicradioshow.com :kitty: