(Close Window)
Topic: Got a chop cup, where to find a routine
Hey guys, I recently acquired a don alan stubby chop cup, its great except I don;t know any chop cup routines at all, where might I find a good base routine. what do you recommend
If you're up for a dvd there's one just on the chop including Jennings and Don Alan's routine. Both are really solid.
I think john bannon's in Impossibilia is great.
I like Scott Hollingsworth's "Strolling Chop Cup Routine" available from his web site.

Deja vu.....

Flimnar
It is a shame that Impossibilia is just about Impossibilia to get at a decent price.

Nick
There are several copies at the local shop here at list
kozmo said dan tong is good I might check that out. I like kozmos vids quite a lot
Dan Tong is great, but you still can't beat Don Alan's routine. There are several publications, the one I like the best is the one written by Ron Bauer. He adds details and insights into Don's thinking that makes it more than just an instruction manual. Available from him or at http://www.rnt2.com listed as The "Complete" Don Alan's Chop Cup. I have both of the RNT2 booklets on this. The Ron Bauer one is definitely worth a few dollars more.
Here's the opportunity to make up your own routine.
Pete that's a great idea but I have never even seena chop cup routine. or read about one. I want a basis to start on so I can see what works,
what doesn't work. then I can find what works for me. maybe that's weird but I have no magic friends. I only see what I can buy. and iv come far in the realitive short time iv been doing this, I don't have the experience to start somthing unknown without guidence
Yes, combine a few of your favorite techniques together and try it out with lay audience first. Their response can tell you what you have done (good or bad). It is really an adventure - the more you perform the simple chop cup routine the more you learn. Every performing environment teaches you something.

Enjoy!
It is OK to see what's been done. But... what a golden opportunity to take the props and think about what can be done... play around with the stuff and you may discover something really cool and original.
=) very true and I have. but what iv done has been like the cups and balls wiht one cups and until I watch these vids someone kindly sent me of performaces I'm nto sure if that's dieerent then a "chop cup" routine
Watch youtube to see what not to do
Instead of coming up with a routine why not get Complete Don Alan's Chop Cup from Ron Bauer… all the work is done for you…. If you look in to the reviews on Ron Bauer's Privets Studies you will see that he has not had a bad review from the well known magicians…look at who is in favor of Ron Bauer's booklets...
Daryl, David Regal, Paul Chosse, Bruce Cervon, Karrell Fox, Marc DeSouza, Tom Gagnon, Paul Green, Scott F. Guinn, Todd Karr, Stephen Minch, Aldo Colombini, Reed McClintock, Randy Wakeman, Tim Trono, Bob Longe, Paul Green, Michael Close, Roger Klause…ect.

Check out his web site
http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/
And look for some FREE magic tricks…(Inside Info)

good luck
Chuck
This is the best of all of them. It's the only chop cup book that I occasionally retail.
You can't go wrong with a combination like Ron Bauer and Don Alan! And at only $10, it's a real steal!
[quote]
On 2007-06-14 13:45, Pete Biro wrote:
[/quote]

You follow this advice with "I have never seen or read any routine". GREAT!

That is the point. If you want a unique routine, if you want one that is more you than anyone else, if you want to really do your own routine, you have the cup, you know the moves, just imagine one. It is not easy, but wow will you love yourself for it in a while.
Josh,
if you have purchased an RNT II stubby, just PM your address and I'll supply you with the routine for free, you should have gotten one with the cup, but since you didn't I'll send you one.

Jake
I don't know that I agree that everyone should just invent their own routines from scratch with no research. True, some folks can do that, but not everyone is gifted in that regard. Even the great Fred Kaps, generally regarded as the best all-around magician of the 20th Century (if not all-time) mostly performed material created by others. So have many, many other very fine magicians through the years.

If one is not particularly gifted at CREATING magic but is accomplished at PERFORMING it, he is probable better served to perform magic created by those who are gifted in that area, as opposed to coming up with a mediocre routine of his own. (I am in no way saying here that this is the case with anyone in this topic!)

Or, perhaps, he might be better served by doing some research and seeing what has been done, so he doesn't waste a lot of time reinventing the wheel. Then he can pick and choose, and construct a routine with his own touches and sequences combined with his favorites created by past and present masters of the craft.
[quote]
On 2007-06-14 17:18, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
You can't go wrong with a combination like Ron Bauer and Don Alan! And at only $10, it's a real steal!
[/quote]

The price of this one is $15.00. It's one of the special editions. But it is still worth every penny.

Let me add this. When I work on the classics, and I consider the chop cup a modern classic, I read everything I can find about it. Then I work with one routine, whichever one appeals to me. I adapt it to my own style. Sometimes, the version I perform doesn't stray far from the original. Other times, when I get through with it, it bears no resemblance at all to the source.
OOps! My bad! Thanks for the correction, Bill. Still a great bargain.
[quote]
[/quote]

good point! I recently bought the new(ish) Fantasima "chinese line" chop cup and promptly lost the routine that came with it- and I thought it was a pretty good routine so I was upset. But then I thought to myself: "I know what this is, I know what it does, I should just make this up myself..."

I love the fantasima cup, but the "kicker" TALKS TALKS TALKS. Badly.
Line the cup with felt.
Am I the only one who still does the Larry Jennings routine? I did the Don Alan routine until 1965 when the Jennings routine was published in Genii. In the early 70's, I spent an afternoon with Jennings and got some fine points. The unique load method still fries most magicians.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
It's a clever idea, but I prefer the adaptation I have done of the Don Alan routine. I do three loads, standing.
The Greater Magic Library The Classic Chop Cup has routines and advice from Larry Jennings, Don Alan, Martin Lewis and Brad Burt. Nice routines and suggestions on how to construct a routine, especially from Brad Burt. Joshua, I am selling my copy for $12 if you are interested. Great stuff, but I perfer the cups and balls and sleight of hand, although I have to say a chop cup kills in the right situation.

Stevie D
[quote]
On 2007-06-15 00:27, gaddy wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

good point! I recently bought the new(ish) Fantasima "chinese line" chop cup and promptly lost the routine that came with it- and I thought it was a pretty good routine so I was upset. But then I thought to myself: "I know what this is, I know what it does, I should just make this up myself..."

I love the fantasima cup, but the "kicker" TALKS TALKS TALKS. Badly.
[/quote]
One of the magicians in my area uses clear latex caulk, smeared on the insides of his cups. He loads cue balls, when performing cups and balls. I've never heard his loads talk.
Joshua,

Let's meet at Haine's or Artie's or somewhere else. I'll show you my chop cup routine. You help me with my Pass!

Sound like a good use of your time?!?!?

Chad
Joshua:
I'd have to agree with Glenn Godsey -- the Larry Jennings "Famous Chop Cup Routine" is a Mozart-level thing of elegant close-up beauty. You can find Larry's meditation on the Chop Cup in the March 1965 issue of Genii in Charlie Miller's Magicana section, with some very easy-to-follow photos of Jennings performing the double-load routine.
Paul
Larry Jennings' routine is really Ron Wilson's... and the final load cover with the silk is Bob Stencils.
[quote]
On 2007-06-19 01:27, Pete Biro wrote:
Larry Jennings' routine is really Ron Wilson's... and the final load cover with the silk is Bob Stencils.
[/quote]

Yes, I have heard that before. According to "The Uncanny Scott" book, Ron and Larry brainstormed this together in the early 60's. Larry published his handling in 1965 and Wilson published his in 1987. I'm a great admirer of both men and both versions.

I'm glad to learn about Stencil's contribution. The "silk cover load" is a brilliant move the way Larry did it. Also, Larry's "shrug load" for the second ball is quite different from Ron's...or Don Alan's...or anyone else, and it is beautifully deceptive.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Just as a update to the thread, I'm doing dan tongs routine, as its simple, a solid routine and had a quick learning curve as I have many other projects on working on. I do plan to visit the jenning routine in the future when time permits if I can it sounds great.
Joshua,
You would do well to accept Chad's invite. He executes a very good performance. Should you stop by to meet with Artie and the gang you may even run into me. Nevermind, nothing to see here.

Bill
I did. I told him I'm up at haines basiclly every staurday afternoon. I usually stop over at arties for a few mins after, but I don;t know many of those guys so I general don;t stay there long
Sent you a PM
I have to put my vote in for Dan Tong's chop cup routine. I like it for several reasons. For one, it is short and he doesn't go to the well too much with the benefit of the chop cup. He mixes in traditional sleight of hand, the chop cup, a nice little "hole in the cup" effect, a different colored ball, and a final load. I am completely sure this is because I know the effect, but when I watch DVD's of others mentioned above, it concerns me a little with how differently the cup is handled between catch and release. Dan Tong seems to work it perfectly from my perspective.
I just came up with a totally new prop to do a routine with, usining a Yamaka (SP?), Matzah Balls, a bagel and LOCKS. And a breadstick for a wand.
Being a Gentile I probably spelled all the words wrong.
L & L has just come out with another "World's Greatest Magic" video devoted to the Chop Cup. It contains the following:

My Best Friend – David Regal
Chop Cup Routine – John Mendoza
The Two Goblets – Gary Ouellet
Chop Cup – Danny Tong (courtesy of Kozmo's Magic)
Chop Cup – Steve Dacri
Jennings Chop Cup – Larry Jennings
The Chop Cup – Jim Swain

I'm certain that there's something for everybody on this dvd.
Pete: Please tell me you're joking. The yarmulke is symbol of religious devotion, not a prop for a routine. Pick a different set of props and stereotypes to do your magic with . . .
I used Don Alans routine a start but have now progressed to my own simply through trial and error and a need to make money from it as I am using it for my ending of my street show. In other places I would use Dan tongs.
That regal routine is great. always so funny